Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

123,555 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Decay
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

you're in Light Farms or ST?

I've sheepishly joked about driving ours to HEB some day (both fictional places and items at the moment).

When I had the old jeep, it was way cooler cruising around in it. Now that it's gone, I'd like something else.

There just isn't much use for it in ST now... can't really drive it anywhere.

I've seen people pulling a trailer leaving from Home Depot out near Windsong.

# golfcartlife

I've got a buddy in Lakes of Prosper that bought a limo one - takes his brood to Frontier often.
I'm in Villages, next to Lakes.

We can also hop over to Coleman and go down to the town square area pretty easily too.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Star Trail
ChoppinDs40
AG
he's actually in Villages now that I remember. You probably know him, lol.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

he's actually in Villages now that I remember. You probably know him, lol.

Don't know anyone with the extended carts yet, but probably passed them a time or two rolling out to frontier.
planoaggie123
AG
Just wanted to send one update....Freeze Miser....

Worked flawlessly again on my "trouble" faucet and added one more this go-round and it worked great too....at this point going to grab one more for my 3rd and "final" faucet at some point as they have really done a great job. No more covers for me.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Worked flawlessly again on my "trouble" faucet and added one more this go-round and it worked great too....at this point going to grab one more for my 3rd and "final" faucet at some point as they have really done a great job. No more covers for me.

I'm calling to get 4 installed as mine scare me each time it gets cold.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I've been skeptical to change over to them.
planoaggie123
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

I've been skeptical to change over to them.

The only issue is the water drip....i have a HD bucket under each to not create an ice rink...dump one into the pool as it fills and the other just dump to nearby flower bed....i typically dump twice....before sun-down and then mid-day....

Every bib that I have one on now has frozen in the past 3 years....since using, no issues at all...i went out yesterday when it was barely over freezing and water came out immediately (no delays...needing to thaw...etc).

Could it be luck? Maybe but i really dont think so...
planoaggie123
AG
Nothing to install. They just screw on your outside facuet.

Screw it on. Turn the water of full blast. Dump buckets as needed. The drip is very slow. It was a little faster in the Dec freeze likely b/c of how much colder it got but it still is not a significant amount of water loss/waste.
Texker
AG
+1 on the Freeze Miser. Got the 2 pack at Home Depot for $50+tax.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I guess I will have to go get me 3 of them then.
Absolute
AG
planoaggie123 said:

How much water do they release? My older house has faucet coming out of the ground. The front one can leak all over the flowerbed and not cause problems, far rear might cause issues if it leaked a lot, middle rear one probably cannot leak at all.....
planoaggie123
AG
While the drips are actually slower than what I drip my inside faucet, it still adds up. It was hard to tell this past week because the rain mixed in but I would guess 1.5 orange Home Depot buckets per day. It is a constant tiny drip.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Times 3 outside faucets, that would add up. Luckily I don't have any inside lines I have to drip.
planoaggie123
AG
My water bill for December only went up $40 and I drip like crazy. We have several lines on exterior walls + outdoor faucets + garage sink.

Cheaper than a plumber but to your point it does add a cost each time in use.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ok I'm ready for the rest of this ice to melt. Trying to boil crawfish on back patio skating rink
planoaggie123
AG
I shoveled some. I sprayed some with a hose (including roof). The ice layers were making it stubborn and i had the same feelings...ready to remove all remnants of last week....
Danny Vermin
So, was this it for the winter? Any experts know if we are getting more later in the month?
Carlo4
AG
Groundhog said 6 more weeks of winter. With a last name like that…
FTAG 2000
AG
Danny Vermin said:

So, was this it for the winter? Any experts know if we are getting more later in the month?
Got another cold snap showing in 7-10 days.

And we're usually good one for one more shot in April too.
FTAG 2000
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Same. Worked well this week.
752bro4
AG
Today is perfection in Dallas. It doesn't quite make up for the previous week, but 58 and not a cloud in the sky is what we all needed.
FTAG 2000
AG
752bro4 said:

Today is perfection in Dallas. It doesn't quite make up for the previous week, but 58 and not a cloud in the sky is what we all needed.

Agreed. We ended up with a spontaneous neighborhood block party today. Good times for the kiddos. Perfect weather day.
FTAG 2000
AG
Incoming next week, based on the models. Mid to late week. Storms and then cold. Possibility of some white stuff.
riverrataggie
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Incoming next week, based on the models. Mid to late week. Storms and then cold. Possibility of some white stuff.

Are these the models that our local forecasters refuse to look at? Because they are showing 50 as high / 30 as low with 20% precipitation.

I understand that now equates to 25 high / 20 low and 2" of freezing rain.
FTAG 2000
AG
That's a great question.
riverrataggie
AG
Bc they totally missed the last forecast. Bigly.
YouBet
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Phat32
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Source?
FTAG 2000
AG
This mornings model runs took snow off the board but have a severe weather outbreak setup for Wednesday in north Texas
fka ftc
I would think FTAG 2000 is reading the storm2k forum posted earlier in the thread. Also, earlier in the thread it was discussed why local weather dudes ignore some of the models and forecasts.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
mAgnoliAg
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

This mornings model runs took snow off the board but have a severe weather outbreak setup for Wednesday in north Texas

I show full Sun no clouds high of 75
ChoppinDs40
AG
POW Ponder thinks it could get pretty wild next week.

FAST jet stream coming down through California and the west that will plow right into warm, moist air.

Less snow but potentially some tornados and severe weather.

We're flying out Thursday AM, hopefully this doesn't screw us.
YouBet
AG
I will be flying back into this on Wednesday if it happens. Yay.
FTAG 2000
AG
fka ftc said:

I would think FTAG 2000 is reading the storm2k forum posted earlier in the thread. Also, earlier in the thread it was discussed why local weather dudes ignore some of the models and forecasts.

I follow Pow Ponder and Aaron Tuttle (Ag grad working in OKC). If both chirp up about a weather event my ears perk ups. Then I check SPC website and convective forecast.

If all three align I unzip my pants (j/k) and prepare for stormageddon.

In the case of Wednesday things have been in alignment since Thursday. Nothing has changed outside or bringing more of the metro into the potential box.

Be aware. These kinds of systems have a tendency to surprise.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.