Metroplex
Sponsored by

Winter Storm Thread

132,162 Views | 1272 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Decay
Coates
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agcrock2005 said:

If anyone is considering getting out in this, especially later this afternoon when it gets worse, I'd call ahead to make sure you're not doing something crazy dangerous only to get there and have them be closed. Lot's of stores shutting down.

Saw some pictures of empty shelves, not sure it's worth it to even try.

I'm at hillcrest and beltline and my son has his hockey gear on and is ice skating on our street, hillcrest isn't great either.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
ChoppinDs40 said:

PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Generac? Who did you get to do the install?
no Generac - not about to drop 12-15k on something I may use once or twice (knock on wood).

Fortunately we're on the same grid as the police station and children's hospital... we shouldn't ever get cut.

But, if there's physical damage, we'll make due.

I had a transfer switch installed for an RV/tailgate generator to plug into. 5000w generator. I should be able to power our furnace (gas furnace) and keep our fridge running. All you really need in an event like this.

Cost about $1,100.
Right on. I've considered getting a Generac whole home backup. Supposedly we get a sweet deal on them through work at cost. Finding somebody to install them without selling it is the other part.

If/when we do a pool I will likely have one installed.
fka ftc

ChoppinDs40 said:

Generac? Who did you get to do the install?
no Generac - not about to drop 12-15k on something I may use once or twice (knock on wood).

Fortunately we're on the same grid as the police station and children's hospital... we shouldn't ever get cut.

But, if there's physical damage, we'll make due.

I had a transfer switch installed for an RV/tailgate generator to plug into. 5000w generator. I should be able to power our furnace (gas furnace) and keep our fridge running. All you really need in an event like this.

Cost about $1,100.
Right on. I've considered getting a Generac whole home backup. Supposedly we get a sweet deal on them through work at cost. Finding somebody to install them without selling it is the other part.

If/when we do a pool I will likely have one installed.
PLumber for gas and electrician for wires. I am not certain, but I would think Generac would have to either maintain local licenses or sub out to locals for these two main components. Add in a concrete pad to sit on and you should be good.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
YouBet
AG
I walked out front and our street and sidewalk are solid ice and I suspect the surrounding roads are similar. No way my car can handle it. Too much HP in the rear.

I did find some Omaha salmon and steaks in the freezer that I forgot about so it looks I'm calling an audible and not going out.

Omaha! Omaha! Omaha!
DonaldFDraper
AG
We're scheduled to fly out of Love tomorrow morning at 830 AM. Flight is still showing on schedule.

Driving from Ryan Place in Fort Worth; we have a new F140 4x4. Hoping that being near the hospitals will have the roads in better shape getting out to the highway.

If any one has insight into the roads on this route, feedback is welcomed.
ChoppinDs40
AG
after what's coming today and Southwest's reliability as of late, I'd give you a 5% chance that flight happens. Maybe less.
FTAG 2000
AG
YouBet said:

Guess I would be stupid to get out and food scavenge in this assuming anything is open. Anyone know what the roads are like in North Dallas right now in Forest - Preston area?
Easiest thing to do is map your route on google maps and see how much red is on there.

I'd say if you need stuff now is the time, conditions are going to worsen later on.

I will say be careful stepping outside at all. I took some child's motrin down to a neighbor in need about a block from us. Everything that was crunchy ice yesterday is now glazed over ice, much slicker than yesterday.

wangus12
AG
Any idea when it'll get bad? I should be done with patients around 2 PM. I'm hoping to make it back to McKinney. Would rather not sleep in my office tonight
Coates
ChoppinDs40 said:

after what's coming today and Southwest's reliability as of late, I'd give you a 5% chance that flight happens. Maybe less.

I'd say 0% chance, in laws are in Hawaii and supposed to come back today and stop in phoenix on the way but all flights from Phoenix to love are cancelled for the day. Interesting to see if southwest ****s the bed again.
agcrock2005
AG
wangus12 said:

Any idea when it'll get bad? I should be done with patients around 2 PM. I'm hoping to make it back to McKinney. Would rather not sleep in my office tonight
Is this bad? McKinney. EDIT: This freezing rain continues until 9AM tomorrow.
wangus12
AG
My wife works at SWA HQ, I'll see if she can find out for y'all. Chances are all the airlines are gonna have issues with this weather.
FTAG 2000
AG
wangus12 said:

Radar is already filling in, and there's a solid plume of moisture coming from Mexico. There was a dry slot over a chunk of DFW but that's gone now. I think it did wring the atmosphere out a bit, stuff wasn't making it to the ground or was making it as light rain or snow.

Generally speaking, mid-afternoon going to start getting worse and continue throughout the evening.

Your best bet is Google maps or waze your route when you get done to see if it's okay and plan to get out of there as quick as you can. Good luck. I think the more you can stay on the highways the better off you'll be - they seem to still be treating those. Surface side roads are already shot.
FTAG 2000
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

We're scheduled to fly out of Love tomorrow morning at 830 AM. Flight is still showing on schedule.

Driving from Ryan Place in Fort Worth; we have a new F140 4x4. Hoping that being near the hospitals will have the roads in better shape getting out to the highway.

If any one has insight into the roads on this route, feedback is welcomed.
The airlines won't cancel until later today. But with what's already on the ground, what's coming, I think there is zero chance your flight goes tomorrow.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I think the more you can stay on the highways the better off you'll be - they seem to still be treating those. Surface side roads are already shot.
Agree with this one. Someone mentioned earlier staying off the highways but my experience last night and this morning was the opposite. Highway was perfect and had been treated and all the side roads were an ice rink.
double aught
AG
Agreed.

Plus, for whoever motioned it a while back, DART trains are indeed running.
wangus12
AG
Agreed. 75 was fine coming down, but the moment I got off to get over to Hillcrest it was a skating rink.
YouBet
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

YouBet said:

Guess I would be stupid to get out and food scavenge in this assuming anything is open. Anyone know what the roads are like in North Dallas right now in Forest - Preston area?
Easiest thing to do is map your route on google maps and see how much red is on there.

I'd say if you need stuff now is the time, conditions are going to worsen later on.

I will say be careful stepping outside at all. I took some child's motrin down to a neighbor in need about a block from us. Everything that was crunchy ice yesterday is now glazed over ice, much slicker than yesterday.

Yeah, but I'm on 100% side and neighborhood roads. My car was all over the place early yesterday morning at very low speeds and that was before we had a half inch of ice on the roads. Good chance I could get into a parking lot and not get out again.

And I can just have steak for lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch, and dinner through tomorrow.
planoaggie123
AG
We are down to two eggs.

My son wanted eggs for lunch but he quickly changed his tune when we told him we needed 2 eggs for brownies....

Our food stash is depleting pretty quickly but we could go to Saturday if needed...i guess longer if i thawed out some pork butt and smoked it in this freezing weather....
Yesterday
AG
114/121 to DFW were fine. DFW is fine. Side roads are ice
ChoppinDs40
AG
why smoke it? cook in the oven or a crockpot.

Have you not learned how to hunker down after 2021?!
wangus12
AG
Power move. Now make yourself some breakfast tacos and feast on his tears
planoaggie123
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

We survived 2021 with PB&J + Cheez-Its....don't judge....
aggiespartan
AG
planoaggie123 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

wow, you guys are bad at this. I made crawfish etouffee on the charcoal grill.
Decay
AG
We were outside playing (I took a picture of the kids' sad pile of stuff they called "our ice man") yesterday but with this frozen rain there's no way I'm going out unless I have to. Y'all can have fun grilling and smoking, I'll use the oven thank youm
hbc07
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Similarly, I don't get how people (who can afford it, of course) are already running out of food. I grabbed maybe $15 worth of stuff from the store on Monday just to make some certain dishes this week, but between frozen leftovers, vacuum sealed meat, dry goods, etc., I'd imagine we could make it through the end of February easily (and maybe even March) without going to the store if we absolutely had to. Sure we'd be down to chicken and rice by the end of it, but we'd be fine.
drewser95
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I've got a batch of chili simmering on the gas cooktop. My luck - if I had it going on anything electric, power would go out halfway through the cook.
ChoppinDs40
AG
boom - gas appliances here also.
ChoppinDs40
AG
yeah lol - not trying to pile on but it's Texas, man. I was under the assumption that everyone had a deep freeze and a garage fridge filled with beer, sodas, 50lbs of chicken, 5 pork butts, and half a butchered cow.

purely roughing it, I think we could go through February also and we just did some basic shopping on Sunday at HEB - like the weekly $100.
Carlo4
AG
planoaggie123 said:

We are down to two eggs.

Cue the Vivaldi.
wangus12
AG
aggiespartan said:

planoaggie123 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

wow, you guys are bad at this. I made crawfish etouffee on the charcoal grill.
2021 was all cast iron cooking in the fire place. I had thrown out my old grill that summer and hadn't replaced it yet. Power was out for 72 hours.
FTAG 2000
AG
I smoked a pork butt on Sunday for us. Vacuum sealed portions so we could work it in through the week - sliders, tacos, and crock pot nachos.
riverrataggie
AG
That little bit of rain here in East Dallas helped wash some of the ice away. But at 32 we are now sitting at just slick slush. Went and took dog for a walk and she could have just pulled me down the street on a sled.

Slick as hell. But every once in a while you put your foot through a nice ice bath.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Just got the text; school officially closed tomorrow. Definitely looking more like next week before they get back at this rate.
YouBet
AG
hbc07 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Similarly, I don't get how people (who can afford it, of course) are already running out of food. I grabbed maybe $15 worth of stuff from the store on Monday just to make some certain dishes this week, but between frozen leftovers, vacuum sealed meat, dry goods, etc., I'd imagine we could make it through the end of February easily (and maybe even March) without going to the store if we absolutely had to. Sure we'd be down to chicken and rice by the end of it, but we'd be fine.

We float between two homes (which is fairly new for us) so we've been living fairly JIT on the food front. My wife is actually down south right now and I'm stuck here in Dallas so I'm having to dust off my cooking skills because she normally does it all.

Having salmon and rice for lunch and will do filet in the BBC set iron for dinner. That's my excuse for lack of preparedness.
Matsui
AG
Which district are you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.