*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,563 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't matter for us, but matters for Disney's bottom line.

But as a fan I just want more people to discuss it with.
Ornithopter
AG
Seems like a smart way to get people to sign up for Disney+
powerbelly
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess trying to get more eyeballs on this show? Good move, because it is criminally underwatched.
Does this even matter in the end though for us who already watch it? Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a preset series with 2 seasons and that's it. Unlike other series we don't need to worry about it getting the axe with no resolution.

I guess maybe they're trying to bolster their own value as an overall company/streaming service though, maybe that's the play. "Hey this show should be killing it, this is the best **** we've ever put out, we need to shout that out to people."
It matters for future shows like Andor. I want this to be a huge hit so they keep making similar shows.

If Andor fails by Disney standards then I doubt we see more.
Chipotlemonger
AG
powerbelly said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess trying to get more eyeballs on this show? Good move, because it is criminally underwatched.
Does this even matter in the end though for us who already watch it? Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a preset series with 2 seasons and that's it. Unlike other series we don't need to worry about it getting the axe with no resolution.

I guess maybe they're trying to bolster their own value as an overall company/streaming service though, maybe that's the play. "Hey this show should be killing it, this is the best **** we've ever put out, we need to shout that out to people."
It matters for future shows like Andor. I want this to be a huge hit so they keep making similar shows.

If Andor fails by Disney standards then I doubt we see more.
That's fair. When you look at it outside of just the show Andor that makes more sense.
Faustus
TCTTS said:

The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

$10 bucks says TC has no idea who these 2 characters are because the movie came out 20 years ago.

Clearly that's Tony Gilroy and Andor Fans.

I wonder if she's related to Only Fans?
That's the chick from Black Swan, right?
jokershady
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

We all forget things. I know Porkchop knows ANH well enough and made a mistake about the Tarkin/Leia lying thing
I"m just speculating that Alderaan was already on a list of planets that were going to get nuked by the Death Star as soon as there was a good enough reason to do so and that I would be surprised if Bail Organa is not a player in Season 2 of Andor, particularly given the time jumps.
Lots of good stuff coming, especially given that the time jumps allow them to just touch on several things.

- Bail is running ***** He's one of the very first real rebels who is out there laying groundwork, not just lashing out. He has Hera Syndulla running recruiting and scouting missions prior to Andor, for example.

- Saw and his Partisans are out there, causing problems for both the Rebels and the Empire.

- Obviously we have K2S0's reprogramming and joining up with Cassian, if that doesn't happen in the next two episodes of S1.

- Rebels Season 1 runs parallel to Andor Season 1, though they are almost entirely working on Lothal. That expands significantly in the time period Andor Season 2 will cover, including Phoenix Squadron becoming a thing, Hera being promoted to General, and a couple of Jedi out there mixing it up with Inquisitors and even Vader. We already know we're getting a live action Ghost crew (that remains post-ROTJ anyway) in the Ahsoka series.

- Oh, and Wedge and some other named ANH pilots are recruited to the Rebellion during this time.

- Parallel to Season 1 of Andor, and beyond, you have Ahsoka working as an intermediary for Organa known as Fulcrum. Cassian also at some point in his career not yet seen will operate under that same code name, presumably for Organa.

- 3 years after Andor Season 1, Mon Mothma publicly denounces Palpatine as a tyrant. At this point she basically announces the formal Alliance to Restore the Republic (aka Rebel Alliance) and its government in exile, and becomes Public Enemy #1. This is another pivotal piece of history from animation I think we'll see done in live action.

- A minor thing, but we'll probably see more of the rebel senate that we saw in Rogue One, especially after Mothma goes public.

- In the timeframe of Andor Season 2, you have Leia getting more and more involved in the Rebellion. For anyone who has ever wanted Millie Bobby Brown to get a crack at an on-screen Leia, here's your chance.

- A side note, and not any sort of prediction, but if the Lando series happens and isn't some sort of prequel, it would almost certainly have to happen during the timeframe covered by Andor S2. Han's troubles with Jabba also happen toward the tail end of that timeframe.

- I just keep digging deeper... you know who else shows up in the Rebellion toward the end of the Andor S2 and would be a really fun addition, not to mention get some much-justified development and screen time? Biggs Effing Darklighter.
Great post! Reading this got me thinking….what if we see (can't remember his name) the emperial officer from Rebels that switches sides? The dude with the massive chops/sideburns….wonder if we'll see him….I'm trying to remember when it was that he actually switched sides in Rebels also
redline248
AG
Agent Kallus. Probably 2nd season when he started to switch. It was after Ahsoka fought Vader and he took over the Fulcrum name

Maybe that was 3rd season
FancyKetchup14
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This shot.

I had heard this show was good and it was on my watch list. But commitments just kept me from starting a new show around when it was released and I put it on the back burner. Then I saw/heard the reviews about last Wednesday's episode and a friend texted me raving about it and asked if I'd watched, so I finally decided to start. I watched 1-3 Thursday night and ended up getting all the way through episode 10 last night. This show absolutely whips ass and I've now picked up the discipleship. This show nails every facet of production, everything is just so good. Loved the filming location for the dam/payroll heist. The writing/dialogue actually brings weight. Diego Luna is awesome. Vel is hot. Bix is hotter. Serkis stole every scene he was in. Skarsgaard works his role really well. I can't wait to see how the last two episodes unfold and I hope Gilroy and co are encouraged to continue to work in the SW universe. What a breath of fresh air for this franchise.

Lastly, that shot above (and the proceeding scene) was just incredible getting to witness for the first time.
Belton Ag
AG
Faustus said:

TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

$10 bucks says TC has no idea who these 2 characters are because the movie came out 20 years ago.

Clearly that's Tony Gilroy and Andor Fans.

I wonder if she's related to Only Fans?
That's the chick from Black Swan, right?
Yeah, she got her box mowed by the chick from the 70's Show.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Agent Kallus. Probably 2nd season when he started to switch. It was after Ahsoka fought Vader and he took over the Fulcrum name

Maybe that was 3rd season
I'd think Kallus would more likely show up in Ahsoka than Andor, but he's a possibility.

Crix Madine leading Empire troops would be another pretty deep cut, but a fun one, though it doesn't tie up with this timeline as well.
ABATTBQ11
AG
cbr said:

Fwiw, nuclear bombs and power were pretty much known by physicists to be inevitable from the early 1930's, with leo szilard having thought up the concept. It only took a while to theorize which elements could fuse/fission, and what critical mass was needed. Then it was the time and expense of producing the material, the physics of timing the compression/combination, etc. if a government had taken everything seriously, promptly, the bomb could have probably been completed at least 3 years earlier than it was.

It was, but the concept Szilard (I always read that as lizard) conceived was somewhat different and wouldn't have worked. He had the idea for a nuclear chain reaction, but it was about producing neutrons and isotopes. He tried it, but it didn't work. The idea for a fission bomb didn't happen until after 1938 when fission was first discovered. Until that, it wasn't really feasible. Considering the vast resources of the Manhattan project and how fast it was started after the fission discovery, I think it happened about as fast as it was going to.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Back to the discussion at hand, I'm kind of hoping they don't go the Solo route and try to work thinks like reprogramming K2SO in. He should just show up, IMO. Otherwise it's like shoehorning in the stupid card game to with Lando.
Rocagnante
AG
A little mid-80's Rush for your listening pleasure:

heddleston
AG
Nothing particularly new to share, but Skarsgaard has just been phenomenal in this. The way he absolutely nails Luthen's role as spymaster and transitions back and forth between that and some foppish antique collector for the galaxy's elite is just awesome.
cbr
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Fwiw, nuclear bombs and power were pretty much known by physicists to be inevitable from the early 1930's, with leo szilard having thought up the concept. It only took a while to theorize which elements could fuse/fission, and what critical mass was needed. Then it was the time and expense of producing the material, the physics of timing the compression/combination, etc. if a government had taken everything seriously, promptly, the bomb could have probably been completed at least 3 years earlier than it was.

It was, but the concept Szilard (I always read that as lizard) conceived was somewhat different and wouldn't have worked. He had the idea for a nuclear chain reaction, but it was about producing neutrons and isotopes. He tried it, but it didn't work. The idea for a fission bomb didn't happen until after 1938 when fission was first discovered. Until that, it wasn't really feasible. Considering the vast resources of the Manhattan project and how fast it was started after the fission discovery, I think it happened about as fast as it was going to.
Interesting, i recall a different timeline but will have to go re-read. I do also recall that einstein was slow to write the letter and roosevelt very slow to take it to heart and get traction. Iirc it was a good 2 years bf groves got the scarlet letter and really started running.

Anyway, fun side note.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Szilard had kind of the right idea, but the mechanics were wrong. He thought of it similar to a chemical reaction, but the underlying physics weren't exactly understood. He knew it was about bombarding atoms with neutrons to release energy, generate more neutrons, and continue that reaction, but he was lacking the fission component. What he was envisioning was isotope creation and, as far as I understand it, neutrons knocking other neutrons from nearby nuclei and releasing energy in the process. The problem was that that didn't really work and would be like trying to burn wet wood because the free neutrons couldn't knock out enough other neutrons from existing nuclei to actually sustain a reaction among only stable isotopes. Basically, released neutrons might knock out others from nearby atoms and release some energy, but there wouldn't be enough of those others to do the same. With fission, a neutron striking an atom and splitting it releases more neutrons and isotopes like U235 can emit enough neutrons to sustain a reaction when they are split.

It did take FDR a little while to respond, but remember that the physics was brand new and theoretical. They put minimal resources into at first until the Brits confirmed that it was feasible. After that things started to pick up. Remember, it took a vast amount of resources, and those weren't going to be devoted to the bomb without some kind of assurance it would go somewhere. There were a lot of unknowns at the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can we just drop the episode tonight, Disney?

jokershady
AG
Seriously bummed we only have 2 episodes left
powerbelly
AG
jokershady said:

Just think how great the rewatch will be.
jokershady
AG
powerbelly said:

jokershady said:

and this is a show that'll DEFINITELY need it prior to watching season 2 when it comes out…..too many characters that I care about….which is all of them.

Seriously when was the last time we had a show where you legitimately cared about each character whether they were a bad guy or a good guy???? Game of Thrones???
powerbelly
AG
jokershady said:

powerbelly said:

jokershady said:

and this is a show that'll DEFINITELY need it prior to watching season 2 when it comes out…..too many characters that I care about….which is all of them.

Seriously when was the last time we had a show where you legitimately cared about each character whether they were a bad guy or a good guy???? Game of Thrones???
Game of Thrones season 4 maybe.

Currently, I am an Andor evangelist. I tell everyone about how great it is to try to get the watch count up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If I had any self control, I'd hold off till next week and watch the last two together.
Mathguy64
AG
Any bets on whether Luthen survives to S2? I'm 75-25 that he goes out in a blaze of glory.
DTP02
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Any bets on whether Luthen survives to S2? I'm 75-25 that he goes out in a blaze of glory.

Way too early for him to eat it IMO.
tk for tu juan
jokershady said:

LOST
TCTTS
AG
So stoked for tonight.

I have a bit of a conundrum for next week's finale, though...

I'm flying home Wednesday morning for Thanksgiving. 7am flight, meaning I have to wake up around 4am. The finale will premiere at midnight my time.

So, do I go to bed early Tuesday night, NOT watch the finale at midnight, get up at 4am, fly home, and then watch the finale in Texas Wednesday night after everyone's gone to bed, while having to try and avoid spoilers all day?

- or -

Go to bed even earlier Tuesday night, wake up at 3 am, get ready, watch it on my own TV that I love, then hop in an Uber and head to the airport? The problem with this option is I risk the alarm going off at 3 and being so tired that I just go back to sleep for the extra hour, then I'm back having to deal with avoiding spoilers all day. This could be especially disastrous considering when waiting at my gate and on the plane is probably when I look at Twitter the most.

powerbelly
AG
Or just pull an all-nighter.
tk for tu juan
Download it and watch on the plane
gougler08
AG
tk for tu juan said:

+1 to this option...I actually have a layover in Tokyo and I think it will premiere about the same time so hoping I can download it for a watch on the 2nd flight
TCTTS
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Gilroy kind of sort of already hinted in an interview that Luthen will be in season two. Gilroy basically posed the question, in a sly manner, "What happens when a rebellion turns into a real, tangible thing and starts to grow beyond your control?" (in so many words). I took that to mean that in season two we're going to see Luthen have to deal with the rebellion blossoming from this very small, secret thing he has complete control over to something that is now very official, in the direct crosshairs of the Empire, and growing everyday.

Either way, I'm in agreement with DTP02 that it's way too early for Luthen to bite the dust.
TCTTS
AG
gougler08 said:

tk for tu juan said:

+1 to this option...I actually have a layover in Tokyo and I think it will premiere about the same time so hoping I can download it for a watch on the 2nd flight

Sorry, there's absolutely no way I'm watching the finale of the best show of the year on my phone.
powerbelly
AG
I would love to see him struggling with wanting control over the rebellion vs knowing that the right thing to do is to let it grow beyond him.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed, same.
gougler08
AG
TCTTS said:

gougler08 said:

tk for tu juan said:

Sorry, there's absolutely no way I'm watching the finale of the best show of the year on my phone.
Get a tablet

But on a separate question, was it Succession that was mentioned on this (or another thread) as being an outstanding show that didn't have tons of notoriety? I'm looking for something to download and start watching for the long haul back
FancyKetchup14
AG
Have you watched The Bear? Highly recommend. The show stole the summer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.