*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,394 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You know me too well.
Ambres
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

Not only the best Star Wars series to date, IMO, but one of the best series of the year, in all of TV.
As TC's long-time friend, I think I can speak for him in how I put Andor on his top 10 all-time list of Star Wars material.

1) Attack of the Clones
2) Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
3) The Book of Boba Fett
4) Obi-Wan Kenobi
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation
T-7) Andor / The Rise of Skywalker
9) The Phantom Menace
10) Resistance
Hmm not buying it.. cause if you were really his long-time friend you would know that The Last Jedi is his number 1 .. just the Hoda (sp?) maneuver along makes it the best Star Wars movie ever..

Sarcasm aside
As good as Andor has been.. I still believe a Rogue Squadron tv series that takes place after Return of the Jedi could be even better.
double aught
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, don't know if anyone here is a software developer or tester but I got heavy Scrum team vibes from the heist team.

Luthen = Project Owner
Vel = Scrum master
Gorn = Business Analyst
Andor = QA
The rest = Dev team
Interesting thought. As a software engineer, I see the same.
Quiet nerds. We're trying to talk about Star Wars.
AliasMan02
AG
This show is better than Mando, and I love Mando. That show is really all about nostalgia and playing with your action figures in the sandbox. Andor is all new, albeit in a known context. Hopefully this really succeeds and shows Disney there's room for NEW in Star Wars. And more adult themed stuff as well, as a lot of this is pretty heavy.

I love the Mon Mothma family stuff. A theme here has been what people are willing to give for the Alliance, with Andor being the only one involved who hasn't had to give anything up. The fact that Mothma values the rebellion over her family is powerful. Also, I had never even thought of her having a family. She's always been this sort of impersonal icon, even in novels and such. Humanizing her and showing how "in the fight" she really is, is great. And WE know (at least the super nerds) know this is all leading up to her publicly declaring for the Alliance to Restore the Republic and becoming enemy #1. Her having a family makes that even bigger.

Can't wait for next week!
twilly
AG
Almost makes me think that Mon Mothma's family either is arrested, dies, or they abandon her over her views/actions.

What would it take for her to make the leap from financier to leader of the Alliance?
cbr
AG
Really liking this. Slow burn, all good. Very force 10 from navarone feel.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Kind of easy when her family is ****
ABATTBQ11
AG
Anyone else thinking the kyber crystal came from a lightsaber? Was Luthen maybe a Jedi?
p_bubel
twilly said:

Almost makes me think that Mon Mothma's family either is arrested, dies, or they abandon her over her views/actions.

What would it take for her to make the leap from financier to leader of the Alliance?
Her husband turns her in would be my bet, maybe her kid. He seemed to be pretty down with the Empire with the dinner party planning scene.

It's a good show, a bit of a slow burn, but obviously written by adults.
Unlike most other junk to come out of this universe.
powerbelly
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Anyone else thinking the kyber crystal came from a lightsaber? Was Luthen maybe a Jedi?

No. I hope not.
The Porkchop Express
twilly said:

You see it play out in Rebels to a degree.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
All I do is Nguyen
I know these last few episodes were a lot slower than I wanted but I know they are simply setting up something huge coming. I am also loving Skarsgard's character along with mon Mothma.
bobinator
AG
I think it's somewhat ironic that to find "new" in Star Wars we have the story of an orphan on the run being recruited by a mysterious old man to join a movement with a bunch of people he doesn't know and they're going to have to infiltrate an imperial facility to steal something.
bobinator
AG
That's not to make fun of Andor, for the record, I'm absolutely loving this show.

I just think people get too caught up in old characters versus new characters and whatnot, when really it just comes down to "is this good? is this fun to watch? does the plot and everyone's motivations make sense?"

Andor is, so far, very good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This. I think Mon Mothma's family either turns her in or she finally has enough of their **** and deuces outta there.

I think we see her fully dedicated to the rebellion by S2. Can't wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, we are meant to understand that she is funding Luthen and therefore funding the heist, right? Admittedly it didn't hit me that she was ultimately the funder of that heist and not Luthen.
bobinator
AG
I thought that she sort of tips him off to where they could steal money to fund the rebellion.

She mentioned it's getting harder to move around without being noticed, which is why I think they have to make this big heist instead of just small ones like they (presumably) have been.
Mathguy64
AG
bobinator said:

I think it's somewhat ironic that to find "new" in Star Wars we have the story of an orphan on the run being recruited by a mysterious old man to join a movement with a bunch of people he doesn't know and they're going to have to infiltrate an imperial facility to steal something.

You mostly described 75% of Rebels.
bobinator
AG
Star Wars is a lot of heists. It's like 65% heists and treasure hunts.
jeffk
AG
Orphan trope is centuries old. It's a mechanism that allows a child character freedom to do things they'd never be allowed to do had they had parents around to protect them. Also creates a nice and tidy emotional backstory.
PatAg
AG
I thuoght everything with Mon Mothma so far has been very subtly done.
To me, it seems clear her family is very upper crust of society.
The husband does an excellent job of portraying this, in addition to their home being very nice.

its ironic that her daughter thinks Mon Mothma is being "very selfish, its always about you", when I imagine the actions that cause her to believe that are all in support of the rebellion..and potentially causing her to abandon all of her personal life in the cause.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great point on that last bit.

We don't have a ton of context, but based on that one scene we got, her daughter seems like a spoiled, entitled brat. Kid sucks.
PatAg
AG
Also, this show is awesome. It was very annoying not being able to talk about it yesterday.
Red Five
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Great point on that last bit.

We don't have a ton of context, but based on that one scene we got, her daughter seems like a spoiled, entitled brat. Kid sucks.
If her mother is neglecting her for a worthy cause she knows nothing about, how else should she feel? Also, I don't know how long Mon Mothma was involved with the Rebellion at this stage, but those comments didn't feel like a "you missed a school event once" kind of grudge. Based on the breakfast conversation I would have guessed Mon Mothma has always put her political career ahead of her family, even before the Rebellion was a thing.

I think we are supposed to be sympathetic as we watch her have the realization that her involvement in the Rebellion is harming her relationships, and I am, but that doesn't mean her husband or daughter are wrong about her.
jeffk
AG
Exactly. As far as they know she's just prioritized her political career over them for years. The audience knows it's more noble than that, but they don't.
bobinator
AG
That scene almost felt to me like the daughter knows more than Mon thinks she does.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think both can be true. (The daughter feeling like her mom hasn't prioritized her, but her also being an entitled brat.)
gougler08
AG
TCTTS said:

Exactly. Like I said earlier in the thread, after having rewatched all three trailers recently, there are only like five or six shots left that we haven't seen used in an episode yet, and all but maybe one or two look to be used in the episode next week, the end of which will mark only the halfway point of the season. In other words, there's so much more left that we have absolutely no idea about. The heist next week, plus whatever's set to come in the second half of the season, has me so excited.
Wow I missed that it was 12 episodes, great news
cbr
AG
bobinator said:

Star Wars is a lot of heists. It's like 65% heists and treasure hunts.

All rebellions are built on heists!
ABATTBQ11
AG
powerbelly said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

No. I hope not.

I do too, but the first part would explain why he wants to have it back so bad. Either someone he knew or his own.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, there's definitively some kind of history/surprise there.
redline248
AG
Qui-gon is his long lost dad. He found it through his procurement of rare artifacts
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I don't know if anyone caught that the youth prison Andor talked about is on the same planet as where Han Solo met Chewie.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mimban
TCTTS
Mathguy64
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know if anyone caught that the youth prison Andor talked about is on the same planet as where Han Solo met Chewie.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mimban

Mimban is also the world where Luke and Leia search for the large Khyber Chrystal in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.