*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,397 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
pocketrockets06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She also has to somehow sell this to her husband.

My theory is that Mon Mothma ends up somehow threatening or blackmailing the gangster in kind of a Laura Roslyn way and turns the tables.
pocketrockets06
AG
Luther is definitely inspired by Garm Bel Iblis. No question. Even though Garm was a senator and lead a private army, the tone just feels like Garm.
jokershady
AG
Holy crap. Holy. Friekin. Crap.

The entire prison break scene I was leaning forward and rocking back and forth on the couch. I couldn't sit still. Everything involving the prison in this episode was AMAZING. The initial argument between Andor and Keeno was perfect and the reveal with the prisoners was so well done.

Like all have said, the speech that Kino gives was awesome and the whole sequence was shot perfectly! And the poster here who made the realization that Cassian isn't exactly a leader, but a person who through his words inspires those around him to lead….fist pump moment right there.

And I'm sad. So sad that it seems Kino didn't make it. This is a guy who firmly believed he was getting out by serving his time (and ultimately keeping everyone safe and helping them get out by following the rules and serving their time). Then realizes it's all fake and there's no escape….only to help inspire an uprising and still full fill his purpose by getting everyone out only to realize he can't escape……y'all that straight up broke my heart.

Definitely got G.o.T. vibes with Mon Mothmma….cause you know she's gonna "give up" her daughter but dang….the look on her face when the dude makes that request….you could tell momma bear wanted to choke that dude.

And Luethen….man…..what an amazing scene that was. I plan on watching that again just cause it was so incredibly tense and well written. And was I the only one who thought Luethen might end up killing the ISB plant guy cause he was worried he'd be a problem? And the whole line about, "You're worth more than those 50 men." JEEEEEEEEEEZ. Imagine being told that you're so important that your boss would rather send 50 men to their deaths than risk the possibility of you being discovered.

The only thing that disappoints me with this show is that we only have 2 episodes left….

Side question: what's the deal with the money? I had thought the $400,000 was a part of the $80,000,000 that was stolen and that Mothma was basically trying to hide just a small amount so it could be used. Is that the case or is it money from somewhere else? And where is that $80,000,000??
Ornithopter
AG
I guess I was under the impression she needed the money back in the account in a way that would fix accounting irregularities.
An L of an Ag
AG
Great episode! An already badass series just kicked it into another gear.
tk for tu juan
This series/episode makes the Skywalker saga look like child's play.

Quote:

How long we hang on, how far we get, how many of us make it out, all of that is now up to us. We have deactivated every floor in the facility. All floors are cold. Wherever you are right now, get up, stop the work. Get out of your cells, take charge and start climbing. They don't have enough guards and they know it. If we wait until they figure that out, it'll be too late. We will never have a better chance that this and "I would rather die trying to take them down than giving them what they want." We know they fried a hundred men on Level Two. We know that they are making up our sentences as we go along. We know that no one outside here knows what's happening. And now we know, that when they say we are being released, we are being transferred to some other prison to go and die and that ends today! There is one way out. Right now, the building is ours. You need to run, climb, kill! You need to help each other. You see someone who's confused, someone who is lost, you get them moving and you keep them moving until we put this place behind us. There are 5,000 of us. If we can fight half as hard as we've been working, we will be home in no time. One way out! One way out! One way out! One way out! One way out! One way out!

Quote:

Calm. Kindness. Kinship. Love. I've given up all chance at inner peace. I've made my mind a sunless space. I share my dreams with ghosts. I wake up every day to an equation I wrote 15 years ago from which there's only one conclusion, I'm damned for what I do. My anger, my ego, my unwillingness to yield, my eagerness to fight, they've set me on a path from which there is no escape. I yearned to be a savior against injustice without contemplating the cost and by the time I looked down there was no longer any ground beneath my feet. What is my sacrifice? I'm condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them. I burn my decency for someone else's future. I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know I'll never see. And the ego that started this fight will never have a mirror or an audience or the light of gratitude. So what do I sacrifice? Everything!
AliasMan02
AG
Holy **** this show rules.
DTP02
AG
That was a fantastic episode. I've liked the previous two episodes, but you also knew they were set up episodes and hoping the time spent to do so would pay off. And man did it ever. Truly great stuff.
redline248
AG
Perfection. Or at least very damn near to it (seriously where did the other prisoners go?).

Obviously, Luthen's monologue at the end is the crown jewel of this episode, and Kino's was excellent. Andor as the catalyst is really pretty damn cool, too...but I want to give a shout out to Mon Mothma. The seething rage she was throwing out there at the suggestion of introducing her daughter to that guy's son was quite tangible.

This is acting at the highest of high levels.
TCTTS
AG
Between Top Gun: Maverick and Andor, I can't remember two pieces of pop culture that received this much unanimous praise in the same year. So cool to see.
An L of an Ag
AG
I think that just this episode I'm realizing what the "it" factor is with "Andor". There's literally no wasted effort. Every scene and bit of dialogue imparts volumes about the story as a whole, as well as the "here and now" of that particular episode.

When the prisoners have more or less gained complete control and are running through halls on their way to the top, that brief shot of the guards huddled behind the closed door, clutching their weapons in fear of making the slightest sound - that says so much about everything at stake in this entire struggle.
BoydCrowder13
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

"What is my sacrifice? I'm condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them. I burn my decency for someone else's future. I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know I'll never see. And the ego that started this fight will never have a mirror or an audience or the light of gratitude."
"Somehow, Palpatine has returned."

Yep, same level.

So much cringe. Rise of Skywalker was written in crayon. This is Sorkin level dialogue.

Crazy to think that I had zero excitement or expectation for this show. Thought it would be a useless Disney+ placeholder while they filmed another Mando season. Glad I gave it a shot.

Disney Star Wars is weird. They've given us the horrific (Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker). And they've given us some of the best Star Wars ever (Mando, Andor, Rogue One).
TCTTS
AG

The Collective
AG
I had a brief moment of sadness last night starting the episode when I realized this damn season is almost done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't exactly agree with that. A lot of the other Disney shows are more episodic, whereas Andor is completely serialized. I think Andor gets to be serialized because of the success of the episodic series. Mandalorian just tested the waters, and with its wild initial success, no one wanted to screw with the formula much. I think season 3 will be somewhat different. The Believer in season 2 was also really well done, and I'd put it up there with some of the Andor episodes.

Andor also has a built in place to go and a tone set by Rogue One. Everything else had to kind of figure that stuff out. There's more room for storytelling and development in Andor.
Prosperdick
AG
TCTTS said:

Btw, I need to watch this entire series in a theater, this episode especially.

Considering season two is essentially four three-episode arcs, each one a year in the timeline, it would be so cool if Disney released each arc as a theatrical "movie" every three weeks. Let three episodes air across three Wednesdays on Disney+, but then every third weekend give us the opportunity to go watch all three episodes again, as one "movie," in theaters, even if in limited release.
Man I hope they do. I'm in Nashville on business and last night I couldn't help myself and watched the latest episode on my laptop. It was the weirdest feeling being exhilarated while simultaneously being upset that I was watching it on a small screen. I wanted to stop and wait until I got home but there was just no way I wasn't going to keep going.

Such a brilliant show...it needs more love publicly I'm not sure why it's not really there. Crazy.
StinkyPinky
AG
Prosperdick said:

TCTTS said:

Considering season two is essentially four three-episode arcs, each one a year in the timeline, it would be so cool if Disney released each arc as a theatrical "movie" every three weeks. Let three episodes air across three Wednesdays on Disney+, but then every third weekend give us the opportunity to go watch all three episodes again, as one "movie," in theaters, even if in limited release.
Man I hope they do. I'm in Nashville on business and last night I couldn't help myself and watched the latest episode on my laptop. It was the weirdest feeling being exhilarated while simultaneously being upset that I was watching it on a small screen. I wanted to stop and wait until I got home but there was just no way I wasn't going to keep going.

Such a brilliant show...it needs more love publicly I'm not sure why it's not really there. Crazy.
I think it's on its way, especially after this last episode. I suspect it'll be blowing up very soon.
Prosperdick
AG
double aught said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

double aught said:

One Way Out!

And a round of applause for the new guy, who read the room immediately and promptly took one for the team.
I loved how that dude just jumped right in on the action like it was nothing.
Just imagine working your ass off for tasteless food and when you finally do "win" that day's round your reward is just having flavor added to your tube of paste. And of course when you lose you get shocked in agonizing pain.

Talk about motivating the prisoners to do whatever it takes at that point. Death is likely a relief for most.
jeffk
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Prosperdick said:

TCTTS said:

I think it's on its way, especially after this last episode. I suspect it'll be blowing up very soon.

Sort of reminds me of how Severance was received. Those who watched it as it released had to talk and talk and talk about it for a good while before it reached critical mass and started getting wider recognition.
bobinator
AG
Been a minute since I was this invested in a show. Every scene is just electric.

One scene is three people sitting in a fancy room talking, the next scene is an armed uprising of thousands, and yet both are just absolutely gripping.
Teddy Perkins
AG
NM, see in the OP this is going to be 12 episodes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
9.6 on IMDB, highest rated of the series, but still not enough. If that's not a 10 I don't know what is.
Malachi Constant
AG
powerbelly
AG
I'm still mad that Serkis didn't win an oscar for Gollum.
redline248
AG
powerbelly said:

I'm still mad that Serkis didn't win an oscar for Gollum.

powerbelly
AG
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Between Top Gun: Maverick and Andor, I can't remember two pieces of pop culture that received this much unanimous praise in the same year. So cool to see.
It is cool to see. You can see it in the whole thread being blue from everyone being in agreement.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
How far is it to land? Maybe he can fashion a crude flotation device out of his pants or shirt. Or others could help. It's a long shot, but a guy can hope.

I get how it happens, but not knowing how to swim seems almost like not knowing how to run or jump to me. I guess since I learned so young it seems instinctive.
bobinator
AG
Folks growing up on places like Tattooine might have never even heard of swimming, much less be able to do it.
twilly
AG
In reference to the discussion of what were they building in the prison....

redline248
AG
Andor is lucky he didn't end up with a broken rib or something. They were pretty high above the water. Not to mention landing on someone else below you.
Flashdiaz
AG
at the end there were ships with searchlights looking for prisoners... I can only think they'll be shot on sight vs taking them back to prison where they'll spread stories about how they escaped.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
This is easily the best Star Wars since Rogue One. Also easily the dramatic TV series I have seen in many years. The sequel trilogy was mostly not good, but I will say it had some good emotional moments. That does not make for a cohesive story, which unlike the OT and PT, the ST just did not seem interested in having.

Andor is better than Mandalorian, at least for me, since I'm more interested in the Rebellion and in something that I'd always wondered about and that this show is delivering on in spades - what was life truly like under Imperial rule? One of the reasons that I've always held The Phantom Menace in relatively high regard is for its build-up of what would become the rise of a dictator, and how it looked similar in some respects to the rise of Adolf Hitler. Andor is giving a good glimpse into daily life under an oppressive government much like life in Germany post-1933. This is a government under which people go about their business but do so always looking over their shoulders, hunched down a bit so as to not stand out, and where citizens just disappear in the dead of night, or broad daylight, because they did something the Empire deems unacceptable. What this show is doing is not at all what much of Star Wars has done - the Empire is BAD, they are the VILLAIN, take our word for it - this show is depicting just how bad and villainous the Empire truly is.

Then we're getting a good look at the birth of the Rebellion, with Luthien and Mon Mothma's covert activities toward obtaining funding and the like. I could watch hours of a show just about these two. Very well written and acted characters (when Mon Mothma was just some chick who showed up seemingly out of nowhere way back in Return of the Jedi, yet was compelling even then).

Serkis' character was fantastic. Took me a couple of episodes to realize that he was Serkis, I was that much just into this world. And for the record, I don't give a **** what they were building in that prison. The characters are just so well realized that it really doesn't matter what they were doing. Back to Serkis, I agree that he should be much more featured in live action movies. I did enjoy his work in the MCU (arms dealer who showed up in Avengers Age of Ultron and then again in Black Panther).
#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.