*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

176,580 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by jeffk
Engine10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For me Andor nailed what fans have been craving: Star Wars content for adults. More dark (realistic?) dramatic themes and arcs that take time to develop but payoff in a relevant way.

Honestly I think Disney has a tough call here. The success of Andor and its style draw serious questions for the movies: Do they stay playful, lighthearted at times, but just enough danger to be fun for a young audience? Or go down the dark side and embrace the adult audience?

I remember the wave of tweets from an early Rogue One trailer, freaking out about one of the scenes looking like "Saving Private Ryan" in space. So many were ready to take that ride
powerbelly
AG
I think you keep movies and most show light but always have something more adult happening in a show like andor.
oragator
I'm used to it on the UF forums when I don't toe the party line, no biggie. I just came back to see the blowback, pretty stout.
This board has been welcoming of me as a relative outsider and I genuinely enjoy it here, but it can get pretty, um, zealous maybe sometimes? Rarely is it directed at me, but hey, guess it was my turn.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nobody was attacking you though. I think it's fair to ask what your expectations were and what the show was missing for you.
fig96
AG
I think most here just disagree with your premise.

You didn't think we learned much about the SW universe, but a lot of us feel that it added tons of color and depth and really a lot of meaning to all the other events that we know about. I genuinely feel for the Rebellion in a way I didn't before.
powerbelly
AG
The show completely shuts down the "empire did nothing wrong" crowd.
An L of an Ag
AG
powerbelly said:

Yep. It definitely neuters the Randall Graves rant from Clerks.
Mathguy64
AG
powerbelly said:

We knew the Empire was bad from Rebels. Andor takes it from bad to flat out evil. And not just the Emperor being evil but the whole government and bureaucracy being pure evil.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I think what Andor did for Star Wars was to spell out day to day life under a tyrannical galactic government. This was something that may have been implied in earlier films, but with the focus nearly always on Jedi, Sith, and Skywalkers, there was not an in depth look at it. Some scenes in Star Wars in Mos Eisley, a line of dialogue in Empire (the Empire has taken total control [of Cloud City]), and then lots of Rogue One gave us glimpses. Andor finally pulled back the curtain.

As entertainment, Andor was fantastic. As a story set in a galaxy far, far away, it was fantastic.
maroon barchetta
jokershady said:

maroon barchetta said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Belton Ag said:

jokershady said:

Orgator learning the 2 cardinal rules of TexAgs Star Wars Board the Internet today.

1) If you like something that the mob doesn't like (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Rise of Skywalker, etc.), keep it to yourself or reap the whirlwind.

2) If you have even the slightest criticism for something that the mob loves, keep it to yourself or reap the whirlwind.

That is all.

FIFY

I have that poster blocked but I see where you quoted him here. Wierd for him to say all that given how he goaltends for Star Wars content, even the bad stuff, like it's his own personal work.
If you read this post, I will give you 100,000 Imperial Credits.

I'm a little disappointed you didn't go with the more recent Mando quote to Greef Karga that the Empire is dead.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Rewatching this and it just occurred to me that the rebellion was sparked by two mall cops who got stood up in a brothel.
jokershady
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Rewatching this and it just occurred to me that the rebellion was sparked by two mall cops who got stood up in a brothel.
well….not really….

Pretty sure Luthen, Mothma and friends were already rolling…..and not sure if Luthen already knew about Andor prior to that incident or not as he showed up to get him technically before crap went down on Ferrix….
redline248
AG
jokershady said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

well….not really….

Pretty sure Luthen, Mothma and friends were already rolling…..and not sure if Luthen already knew about Andor prior to that incident or not as he showed up to get him technically before crap went down on Ferrix….
It probably put Andor on the trajectory of Rebellion, though. Cuz he might have told Luthen to f- off, otherwise

edits for rewording
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yes, but nothing would have happened between Luthen and Andor and nothing would have happened on Ferrix if Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum didn't get butthurt and try to shake down Cassian. If he just goes home, Syril isn't looking for a murderer, his mall cop buddies don't get blown up, Cassian doesn't leave the starpath unit behind, Aldhani probably fails, Meero doesn't piece things together, she never shows up on Ferrix, and then there's no riot and revolt.

Luthen stays on his path, but he lacks funding, cohesion, and most importantly an angry populace fed up with the empire. Mothma may or may not end up in deep **** with the Imperial Revenue Service. With the failure on Aldhani and without the kickoff on Ferrix, the Rebellion is too slow to get off the ground before the Death Star is complete. It dies before it metamorphizes from a resistance movement to an open rebellion.

Thus, the Rebellion is started when a hoar in a brothel didn't give two mall cops the time of day.
The Porkchop Express
Just think how much easier life in the Empire would have been if the hostess at the brothel had done her job better and lied about one of her girls being from his home planet. That girl meets Cassian, makes up his BS about knowing his sister, invites him to watch the Holonet and chill, Cassian gets laid and doesn't have all this angry misguided energy that leads him to murder a couple of mall cops.
Rascal
AG
Finishing up episode 11. Really really good show!

That escape scene with Luthen and the patrol ship was just badass badass badass. He's a better Han Solo than Han Solo!!!

Can't wait for final episode.
jokershady
AG
Oh man…..it's a good one….
MASAXET
AG
jokershady said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

well….not really….

I wasn't as locked into this show the first few episodes and need to rewatch, but this a question I have as well. Andor was already on Luthen's radar prior to that incident?
redline248
AG
Yes, I think so. Andor had been doing jobs with Bix, Bix had been working for Luthen, so it stands to reason Luthen was doing his checkups on the people working with Bix. Andor had that imperial thing and that got Luthen's interest before the stuff at the brothel.
PatAg
AG
Maybe they were thinking that Andor was the missing link, given his skillset they were targetting?
I agree that it seems like it was up and running already
The Porkchop Express
Luthen is probably looking for a certain type throughout all his dealings, and "nothing to lose" is probably high on that list.
ABATTBQ11
AG

Luthen is probably looking for a certain type throughout all his dealings, and "nothing to lose" is probably high on that list.

It's more about attitude or feelings towards the Empire. Spies like Luthen like both types: something to lose and nothing to lose. People with something to lose can be manipulated based on that, like how Luthen deals with Jung wanting to quit. Mothma is similar. She has everything to lose, but Luthen can manipulate her feelings towards the Empire to extract funding. Those with nothing to lose are willing to take risks, like Cassian. Luthen can use him for missions like Aldhani where he needs a harder skill set and there's a good chance of dying. People with those capabilities generally aren't accepting the risk if they have something to lose or leave behind.

Luthen looks for things he needs as well. In Jung's case it's access and information. In Mothma's case it's money. In Cassian's case it's skills.
Decay
AG
Just finished the show and am blown away by how well they handled the dialogue, characters, "Star Wars stuff"... Just so good.

Since most of it's covered already, I wanted to point out how much I liked that wouldn't really work if it WASN'T Star Wars. The tech used in the show especially. It's a combination of futuristic capabilities and 1960's limitations that doesn't really exist anywhere except Star Wars.

Sure, most of the technology can do whatever the plot needs it to do, but none of it felt out of place. If this was set in modern day, you'd be asking tons of questions about cell phones and cameras and the internet, right? But you can still hop from planet to planet, you can have a space battle scene where you disable their ability to tractor beam you, your radio can be picked up by a lucky operator trying to find signal through the noise. It's a sweet spot for storytelling and why mining it, instead of just always leaning on magical Jedi stuff, makes so much sense.
Rascal
AG
The prison scene could have easily been its own episode of "Black Mirror" and much of the rest of the show resembled "House of Cards" or "Man in the High Castle".
Decay
AG
Rascal said:

The prison scene could have easily been its own episode of "Black Mirror" and much of the rest of the show resembled "House of Cards" or "Man in the High Castle".

Perfect example. The prisoners even admit it's droid work, but the show uses it as a chance to build the world and show just how soulless the Empire is to use and discard people. Online nerds can correctly point out about how machines could easily do the work, but that misses the point of it all.

Especially when they literally show droids building the Death Star with those handmade pieces. It's insult to injury.

That reminds me... that's how you actually pull off the concept that George Lucas butchered: "it's like poetry, it rhymes". Lucas never understood subtlety. The callbacks here are clever and oftentimes subverted.
ABATTBQ11
AG
On rewatch, Syril's speech on the transport to Ferrix is loaded with irony. For one, when he says that sometimes the risk of doing nothing becomes the greatest risk of all, little does he know that he's about to punch a hornets' nest because he couldn't leave well enough alone like he was told. For two, he's expressing the sentiment of just about everyone in the Rebellion, and he's putting into words everything he's about to play a huge part in kicking off .
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
Honestly, if they were reversed you could say the same thing. Both were absolutely phenomenal, and that episode is probably the single best production in all of SW. As good as the last episode was, episode 10 just has too many good things in it to be beat.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I've also started to realize that the the original trilogy is somewhat like the Marvel movies. They're fun to watch, exciting, and have this big overarching story they're telling, but there's a lack of subtlety and depth. What made them truly amazing was their originality and special effects. There are few truly original and unique stories out there, but I think George Lucas has one of them in Star Wars.

Andor is more of a high cinema, artistic take on Star Wars. It's very deep in characters, dialogue, and story. Even the music is deep. John Williams' Star Wars score is iconic and perfect for the original trilogy, but Andor's is kind of next level. All of the title cards have different music that stands on its own, but if you overlay them all, you get a cohesive theme and they all come together. It's like all the parts and pieces of the rebellion working individually, unbeknownst to each other, but still in concert. There's something subtle and meaningful in every aspect of Andor, and after watching it again I think I like it more than anything else in Star Wars.

This also makes me hate the sequel trilogy so much more. If it had approached the same way as Andor and had the same depth, attention to detail, and creative freedom, it could have been another LOTR quality trilogy. Hell, even better. Just imagine this level of storytelling picking up where ROTJ left off, and all the possibilities in a fledgling Republic. Instead, we got, "Somehow, Palpatine returned," and an angsty, emo teen Darth Vader wannabe.

ETA Title card music overlay

The Porkchop Express
The actor who plays Linus has confirmed he's not in Season 2.

"I thought that would be the case but alas you've seen the end of Mosk. I had a blast playing him and I'm glad you and others enjoyed him too. Au revoir" Alex Ferns on Twitter
ABATTBQ11
AG
Syril has Meero now. He doesn't need Mosk anymore.
jokershady
AG

"I thought that would be the case but alas you've seen the end of Mosk. I had a blast playing him and I'm glad you and others enjoyed him too. Au revoir" Alex Ferns on Twitter
that's exactly what I'd expect someone who HAS BEEN confirmed for season 2 to not say! Therefore he's confirmed for season 2.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Rewatched the heist episode last night, and I think the visuals in it are easily the best in the series. The launching of the TIE fighters if just beautifully done. There's a shot somewhere in there of the three of them just before they launch with the green sky of the eye reflected in the glass of their cockpits as the camera pans over, and they just look like these menacing, robotic monsters coming alive. This is probably my 3rd favorite episode behind 10 and 12.
ChipFTAC01
AG

Sorry, which one was Linus?
Mathguy64
AG
Linus was the stocky rent a cop sergeant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.