*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

176,574 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are my settings messed up or do they not translate the Kenari language?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same for me.
bobinator
AG
Didn't on mine either.

I was trying to think but maybe I'm just dumb and can't remember, was "5 BBY" the first time we've ever gotten an actual date on screen in Star Wars?
KCup17
AG
Phew. I thought it was just me for a minute. I wish I could know what they are saying but I guess it isn't that important for the show.
jeffk
AG
Mine just said "Kenari babbling" over and over again.
tk for tu juan
As mentioned earlier in the thread, they did a good enough job of conveying the emotions and intent in the scenes that the subtitles were not necessary. The new West Side Story was the same way, subtitles were not necessary to understand the scene
Kampfers
AG
bobinator said:

To bring it back to Andor, I think that's one thing we're already seeing is a clear vision of what this show wants to be. This show knows what story it wants to tell, and it knows who its audience is. I mean right out of the gate we get our "good guy" killing two people.
I mean, do corpos really count as people?
C@LAg
KCup17 said:

Phew. I thought it was just me for a minute. I wish I could know what they are saying but I guess it isn't that important for the show.
The show's creators purposefully made the decision not to include Kenari subtitles in Andor, just like George Lucas did with several alien languages. It puts more of an emphasis on the viewer to decipher what is happening based on the body language and movements of the children, as well as the inflection of their voices and their actions that follow.bi

https://screenrant.com/andor-kenari-subtitles-no-translation-explained/
BowSowy
AG
bobinator said:

That's kind of what I'm getting at. It seemed like Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi weren't sure what their audiences were.

I get that they're thinking different audiences, I wasn't trying to imply they should all be the same, but it seemed like they were searching with the other shows.
I can't believe that they made shows about Boba Fett and Obi-Wan and didn't aim it at the demographic that watched the OT as kids. It's great that those shows were enjoyable by kids now, but holy **** they missed the mark.
TCTTS
AG
I have episodes of LOTR, Atlanta, Reservation Dogs, and She-Hulk to catch up on, yet all I want to do is rewatch the first three episodes of Andor again.
TroyMc
Ok, yeah… this is just so out of left field well done. It's almost baffling how much they missed everywhere else yet this thing comes out and just nails the production, emotion, intensity and just an amazing soundtrack to tie it all together. It's awesome and frankly I'm still shocked
The Porkchop Express
She-hulk is the bomb, even though they changed actresses and had a 10-year time jump.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
AliasMan02
AG
This is SOOOOOO good. They've do e a great job establishing tone and pacing everything. At the end of every episode I'm like NOOOOOOOO give me MOOOOORE!

Mando is great because of how much nostalgia it brings. Andor is all brand ****ing new. Love it.
Apache
AG
I complained about how terrible BoBF & the Obi-Wan series were and said I had lost interest in where Disney was taking the franchise. I also said I was pretty much done with the series.

Well, we didn't cancel Disney+ so I casually started the first episode with the remote nearby ready to cut off the garbage so I didn't have to endure the misery. (Sounds like Aggie football sometimes, yeah)

The first scene comes on & I'm immediately thinking "Blade Runner" like everyone else did. I kept waiting for the spunky toddler, the goofball alien, the shockingly inept bad guy. Brothel? Wh*res? A hold-up gone wrong? Accidental murder & then cold blooded murder? WTF, this isn't the Star Wars of late!?!? The robot rolling through the scrap yard was straight out of Wall-E & when it began to stutter I thought "Here we go". But it still didn't go there. Then the Bix character has "relations" with Timm... another first for Star Wars. (Also, wow she is gorgeous!)

Where are the flying Vespas? The hordes of stormtroopers getting mowed down as they fire seemingly trying to miss? The ridiculously poor decisions by main characters?

I'm astounded at virtually everything about the first three episodes. The only things I can say that were remotely cheesy Star Wars were the stuttering droid & the perhaps the chamber of chained up engine blocks falling all over the place.

Hopefully this raises the bar & level of sophistication for any upcoming SW series. I say this with trepidation as Disney will still want some new marketable action figure characters (goofball alien, cutesy droid) for the kids. If the numbers for Andor aren't good, I have doubts Disney will venture down the gritty Star Wars path again for a long, long time.

Can't wait for next week!!
BowSowy
AG
Apache said:

I complained about how terrible BoBF & the Obi-Wan series were and said I had lost interest in where Disney was taking the franchise. I also said I was pretty much done with the series.

Well, we didn't cancel Disney+ so I casually started the first episode
This is what I imagine for every single person who boldly proclaims they are done with X, Y, or Z
KCup17
AG
This is what I figured was the case. I should of hit Dr. Google with my question before coming to the thread.
The Collective
AG
BowSowy said:

Apache said:

This is what I imagine for every single person who boldly proclaims they are done with X, Y, or Z

Casually started the first episode within 48 hours of its release.
Duncan Idaho
I will say that based on how the window girls in the leisure zone we acting, sex in the star wars universe must be absolutely insane. The first two that he walked past looked closer to caged animals than companions for hire.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's already a B2EMO toy at the World of Disney store in Orlando.
Apache
AG
I fully admit to my hypocrisy. Like I said, was prepared to walk away, but everything about the show sucked me in because it was so unlike the crap that was boba fett & obi-wan.

AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There's already a B2EMO toy at the World of Disney store in Orlando.

Droid design is consistently the best aspect of the Disney era Star Wars.
The Collective
AG
Apache said:

I fully admit to my hypocrisy. Like I said, was prepared to walk away, but everything about the show sucked me in because it was so unlike the crap that was boba fett & obi-wan.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

I have episodes of LOTR, Atlanta, Reservation Dogs, and She-Hulk to catch up on, yet all I want to do is rewatch the first three episodes of Andor again.

Rewatched the pilot last night and it really is one of my favorites of the past few years. Just incredible. The writing, in particular, is so stellar and as good as if not better than anything else on TV. Even on the second go-around I was in disbelief that a Star Wars series can look, sound, and feel like this, to the point of it almost having a dream-like quality. From here on out, I'm going to be looking forward to episodes almost as much as I do episodes of something like Succession.
StinkyPinky
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

Rewatched the pilot last night and it really is one of my favorites of the past few years. Just incredible. The writing, in particular, is so stellar and as good as if not better anything else on TV. Even on the second go-around I was in disbelief that a Star Wars series can look, sound, and feel like this, to the point of it almost having a dream-like quality. From here on out, I'm going to be looking forward to episodes almost as much as I do episodes of something like Succession.
Haven't had a chance to watch yet, like you behind on about everything. It's painful because they're all so good. Too much at one time
jokershady
AG
don't you want to fight these *******s for real?

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

In 3 episodes I care so much more about what's going on here than the 3 movies in the sequel trilogy!!!

The acting from everyone on this show has been friggin awesome and nobody is phoning this thing in. So dang great!!!!
ABATTBQ11
AG
bobinator said:

I actually thought they were really good and sort of ridiculous-on-purpose.

These are contract employees that aren't good enough to work for the actual empire, but they consider themselves as very serious officers. Kind of a rent-a-cop situation. So they act like they're imperial officers with their knock-off uniforms. The one guy even tailoring his own uniform to make it look more like the imperial uniform was a nice touch.

But everyone else makes fun of them, even calling them "blues" I think it was at one point.

I think all of that was very intentional, and really kind of new for Star Wars. The empire obviously can't be everywhere all at once, so they subcontract, and the subcontractor companies are full of wanna-be imperials, full on fraudsters, and people who don't care and are just trying to collect a paycheck. It's that environment that allows the nascent rebellion to "foment" as our guy put it.

I don't think they're subcontracted security. I think they're more like the Weyland-Yutani corporation from Alien or the East India Tea Company. I think they have a lot of business areas and basically run/own a bunch of planets, and these guys just run security. The director wants to keep things quiet because he knows the empire will step in of there's unrest and the corporation will lose its autonomy.
jokershady
AG
This just hit me….

Remember in Rogue One…

"I've been in this fight since I was 6 years old!"

We're not done with Andor's past yet….y'all notice how there were no adults on Kenari in those flashbacks?

Think we're gonna see something more about that mine and perhaps the adults that were forced to work in it from the Republic and causing them to die….
bobinator
AG
Yeah I probably didn't word that right, the company they work for isn't a security company, but they do security for a company that does work for the empire. Thus my cop-that-works-for-the-mall analogy.

bobinator
AG
Didn't we talk about this a page ago?
jokershady
AG
Beats me I haven't read everything cause I watched these episodes later than most and was avoiding spoilers
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't think it's so much that they work for the empire as it is they work in the empire. They're a quasi-governmental enterprise that does business with everyone, but they're so large they have their own paramilitary units and have jurisdiction over areas they operate in, sort of like the East India Company.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Apache said:

jokershady
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I don't think it's so much that they work for the empire as it is they work in the empire. They're a quasi-governmental enterprise that does business with everyone, but they're so large they have their own paramilitary units and have jurisdiction over areas they operate in, sort of like the East India Company.
so is this like the sub-contractor argument from Clerks regarding the second Death Star?
Pirate04
AG
I apologize if already said. But does anyone else think all of his close friends, who also have dark hair and eyes, are also from Kenari?
bobinator
AG
I mean that's fine, I don't know the whole history of the East India company and I think it's maybe a semantics argument whether they work for or with or in the empire. I just got real "we are very serious, please take us seriously" vibes from the two leader guys and it seemed like everyone else was just trying to collect a paycheck and stay under the radar. And then you had a few people, the guys at the beginning, that were just straight up corrupt.

But the boss guy mentioned something about not wanting to have to report any bad news to the local (imperial something.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.