*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,667 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a great point. The Empire should exist where local security handles it on one level; if there are stormtroopers there on a regular basis or they get called in, it should be a really big deal, like nobody wants to even look at them - the way it was on the world Cassian killed his contact at the beginning of Rogue One.

It's like the equivalent of local PD there all the time and then one day here comes the army and you're like oh damn what did we do wrong?

That does kind of tie in to my only nitpick - why are all these people friends with Cassian? He seems like a d*bag who only cares about himself. Why is the guy on the work crew sticking up for him? All he does is NOT work. Bix is an ex-GF and clearly uses him to help her get material off Imp ships, but everyone seems to be bending over backwards for a guy with an agenda that only involves his own interests.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

That's a great point. The Empire should exist where local security handles it on one level; if there are stormtroopers there on a regular basis or they get called in, it should be a really big deal, like nobody wants to even look at them - the way it was on the world Cassian killed his contact at the beginning of Rogue One.

It's like the equivalent of local PD there all the time and then one day here comes the army and you're like oh damn what did we do wrong?

That does kind of tie in to my only nitpick - why are all these people friends with Cassian? He seems like a d*bag who only cares about himself. Why is the guy on the work crew sticking up for him? All he does is NOT work. Bix is an ex-GF and clearly uses him to help her get material off Imp ships, but everyone seems to be bending over backwards for a guy with an agenda that only involves his own interests.
See, I go the other way with this.
We don't need it to be explicitly explained that he is actually a good guy, BECAUSE they all still help him in spite of what you said.

Also wasnt implying that your take was wrong, just showing another way to view it.
bobinator
AG
Yeah exactly, my guess is he's probably helped them out of tight spots before and/or they know he's looking out for them against the corporation/empire.

He's that friend you call when you need to bury a body and you know he's showing up no questions asked.
PatAg
AG
I don't think so Tim - bump
TCTTS
AG

bobinator
AG
My only issue with these thoughts is that it's possible to make a good show that is "slavishly reverent" to this world.

For example, Obi Wan Kenobi didn't have to be a bad show. It could have added to this world, it just didn't. In fact it's new stuff was the worst part of it. But not because it was new, but because it was poorly written, confusing, and lacked good characters. The parts of it that were like fan fiction "what if the prequels were actually good" were actually its best parts.

The same will be true of Ahsoka. There's plenty of room there to create something new from the pieces of something old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Watched 1.5 episodes so far before I had to stop. (Traveling.)

This show grabbed me immediately. Even more so than Mandalorian did.

Got big Blade Runner vibes in the beginning, which I loved. Hopefully more of that.

Love that the two leads are Hispanic, but Disney/LF isn't really calling attention to it like some other movies/shows tend to do. I like how Andor's home planet basically speaks space Spanish to account for the accent. Found that pretty funny.
PatAg
AG
This is my opinion, but I think Gilroy also clearly GETS the world of Star Wars.
Because even though a lot of what we have seen is fresh imagery, it fits seamlessly with how I think of Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

It was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out where I knew this guy from...

Something about him was vaguely familiar, yet I couldn't quite place him. I just knew I'd seen him in something recently. Finally looked him up, and...

The other head guy looks exactly like Henry Thomas.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

My only issue with these thoughts is that it's possible to make a good show that is "slavishly reverent" to this world.

For example, Obi Wan Kenobi didn't have to be a bad show. It could have added to this world, it just didn't. In fact it's new stuff was the worst part of it. But not because it was new, but because it was poorly written, confusing, and lacked good characters. The parts of it that were like fan fiction "what if the prequels were actually good" were actually its best parts.

The same will be true of Ahsoka. There's plenty of room there to create something new from the pieces of something old.
My thought is they decided they wanted an Obi-Wan show before actually coming up with any ideas or story points.
They had success with Mandalorian, so they decided they should make a Boba-Fett show.

TCTTS
AG
bobinator said:

I hear you, and agree. I just didn't take his endorsement in this instance as saying it couldn't be done the "slavish" way.
canadiaggie
AG
Man I was not super interested in this story when I first heard it announced but literally everyone is saying it's good, including one of my friends who's really harsh on all Disneywars stuff. I know what I'm doing after work tonight, probably will prioritize this over LOTR
bobinator
AG
I think all three of those shows (The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Obi Wan Kenobi) at various points show a lack of understanding of what audiences want in a good TV show.

The Mandalorian found its footing after a bit, but the other two were just bad.
bobinator
AG
To bring it back to Andor, I think that's one thing we're already seeing is a clear vision of what this show wants to be. This show knows what story it wants to tell, and it knows who its audience is. I mean right out of the gate we get our "good guy" killing two people.
Stewade
Staff
AG
I'm just here to say that I absolutely love this show. What a breath of fresh air.

Oh, and B2EMO is already a fantastic droid. Laughed out loud at "that's two lies." Can't wait until we (maybe hopefully somehow) get him and my all-time favorite droid, K-2SO, in the same scene.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like that the droids use more energy when they lie.
jeffk
AG
Great opening set of episodes. Not a whole lot has really happened but the bones are there ready to be fleshed out.

I did get a chuckle out of them using an Irishman as their hardcore policeman character.
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Love that the two leads are Hispanic, but Disney/LF isn't really calling attention to it like some other movies/shows tend to do. I like how Andor's home planet basically speaks space Spanish to account for the accent. Found that pretty funny.
Um, about that....
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Great opening set of episodes. Not a whole lot has really happened but the bones are there ready to be fleshed out.

I did get a chuckle out of them using an Irishman as their hardcore policeman character.
Scottish?
cbr
AG
PatAg said:

The Porkchop Express said:

See, I go the other way with this.
We don't need it to be explicitly explained that he is actually a good guy, BECAUSE they all still help him in spite of what you said.

i'm in between, i only sort of liked cassian character in r1, despite the fact that i loved the movie overall.

but i think that was the point. he really isnt all that likeable, but he saves the galaxy anyway for his own reasons.

i didnt really get the overwhelming feeling that he was just out for himself, though i can see how one might.

i also agree that they made it clear that he does have good friends. and there must be a reason for that.

bottom line, i dont really expect to 'like' cassian all that much here either, but i like his role in the world and the way they are telling it.

that said, i find it odd that people call it murder or thinking killing the crooked guards shows a 'bad side'.

they went out of their way to antagonize him, he left, then they chased him down and tried to rob him at gunpoint, using their badge to break the law. They needed to be dead, and executing them is a good character trait.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
twilly said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Um, about that....

Well, in the marketing in any case.
The Porkchop Express
bobinator said:

I think all three of those shows (The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Obi Wan Kenobi) at various points show a lack of understanding of what audiences want in a good TV show.

The Mandalorian found its footing after a bit, but the other two were just bad.

But you have to consider that they're thinking about more than just the audience that wants a gritty drama. My whole family watched mando and boba fett and my super fan was all over obiwan, but no kid under 13 should be watching this.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
C@LAg
twilly said:

Um, about that....

1 of those things is not like the other.... 5 of those are "latin stories" - in character or in setting - and then there is Andor.
jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

Scottish?

Haha, yeah. I'm awful at distinguishing between them.
CajunAg97
AG
Love, love, love this series! My 10 year old will not, and I'm not sure I'll let him watch it. Very adult. Did anyone notice there were NO parents on Kenari?
Duncan Idaho
jeffk said:

PatAg said:

jeffk said:

Scottish?

Haha, yeah. I'm awful at distinguishing between them.
to be fair, they all look alike
bobinator
AG
That's kind of what I'm getting at. It seemed like Boba Fett and Obi Wan Kenobi weren't sure what their audiences were.

I get that they're thinking different audiences, I wasn't trying to imply they should all be the same, but it seemed like they were searching with the other shows.

The Mandalorian is different, I think its main issues early were related to not being sure if it was like a mission-of-the-week show or not.

To be clear, I like the Mandalorian, but there were some truly wild episodes like the frog lady one.

And then you have them sticking two episodes of The Mandalorian inside the Book of Boba Fett. Also odd.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

twilly said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Um, about that....

What do you call that?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Love this so far, but it's a really slow burn. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.
bobinator
AG
The subtext is they died in the mine explosion mentioned later in the episode right? I thought that was another nice touch. The mine exploded and the empire no longer had use for the planet and left the kids to fend for themselves. Overall a small thing, but just one more thing that feeds the spark of rebellion.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
bobinator said:

The subtext is they died in the mine explosion mentioned later in the episode right? I thought that was another nice touch. The mine exploded and the empire no longer had use for the planet and left the kids to fend for themselves. Overall a small thing, but just one more thing that feeds the spark of rebellion.

Yeah. That makes sense. And then when the empirial "rescue ship" wiped out the rest of the kids. Only Cassian is left.

Edit. Nvmd forgot about the sister.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

twilly said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Um, about that....

What do you call that?

bobinator
AG
Now that part is unclear. I thought the girl was going to be one of the kids also but apparently not. The kids might still be there all grown up for all we know right? He got taken off the planet by Aunt Petunia. (Eventually I'll learn the character names)
TCTTS
AG
Fantastic interview with showrunner Tony Gilroy…

Ol_Ag_02
AG
bobinator said:

Now that part is unclear. I thought the girl was going to be one of the kids also but apparently not. The kids might still be there all grown up for all we know right? He got taken off the planet by Aunt Petunia. (Eventually I'll learn the character names)

Unclear sure. But the aunt hinted that she needed to save Cassian before he was killed with the rest when they found the "murdered" officer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.