*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,405 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read that once, and all I remember is awkward splashing in a water source in a cave.
Apache
AG
I wish Andor's heist would have been something better than stealing the "quarterly payroll"

Quarterly payroll? Really?

You'd think the Empire have blockchain or maybe at least Venmo to avoid getting rolled up like a Wells Fargo stagecoach in 1885.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean they don't even have cell phones to be fair.
TCTTS
AG
Apache said:

I wish Andor's heist would have been something better than stealing the "quarterly payroll"

Quarterly payroll? Really?

You'd think the Empire have blockchain or maybe at least Venmo to avoid getting rolled up like a Wells Fargo stagecoach in 1885.

I think it's perfect. They're taking us step-by-step through the logistics of exactly what a rebellion would need to function/thrive, which I find incredibly satisfying.
Average Joe
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Anyone else thinking the kyber crystal came from a lightsaber? Was Luthen maybe a Jedi?

He called it a sky kyber. It's also already colored, which doesn't usually happen until it powers a light saber.

There was an Easter egg when he first showed it and mentioned the Rakatan invaders from KOTOR.

Also, did anyone catch the two holocrons on the shelf when he was listening to the radio? A Jedi and sith one.
Apache
AG
Ok. But to me an Empire than has faster than light travel, Death Stars and robots could do a better job of securing money than they apparently do. Why no wireless transfer?
Just a minor nitpick, I love the show.
TCTTS
AG
Could it not be like stealing the Death Star plans? This whole time I've been assuming the payroll is, like, on a hard drive or something. I could be wrong, though.
Apache
AG
Yeah I suppose, but that seems kind of unsecured as well. The DS plans were a huge file, heavily guarded. Payroll would be some encriptes numbers moved around on computers, physical money doesn't move.

Interested to see how they actually handle it, I'm sure it'll be done to make sense. They're hitting all details nicely, I don't think this will be overlooked. Like I said, nitpicking by me.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TCTTS said:

Could it not be like stealing the Death Star plans? This whole time I've been assuming the payroll is, like, on a hard drive or something. I could be wrong, though.

I thought they showed a shot of crates filled with imperial credits in the last episode.
TCTTS
AG
They very well could have and I missed it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

They did. They're in octagonal cases strapped to crates.

And yes, a civilization with light speed but not direct deposit makes no sense.
TCTTS
AG
Good to know. Yeah, I've never understood the "rule" of certain tech having to be/remain 1970s tech, while lightspeed and hover craft also exist.
Project Gemini
AG
It's not that dissimilar to people in the US accepting and paying for things with handwritten checks still. We can launch and land rockets but choose to pay for things by scrawling on pre-form paper subject to numerous fraud schemes and 7-10 days of manual processing by institutions. I'm a financial professional so this baffles me daily.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Project Gemini said:

It's not that dissimilar to people in the US accepting and paying for things with handwritten checks still. We can launch and land rockets but choose to pay for things by scrawling on pre-form paper subject to numerous fraud schemes and 7-10 days of manual processing by institutions. I'm a financial professional so this baffles me daily.

I very, very rarely use checks. When I do, it's usually something that must be mailed and I'm not willing to write down my credit card info and send it through USPS. At least the check can only be made out to a single entity. Otherwise it's electronic all the way.
AliasMan02
AG
This doesn't seem like a cameo type of show, and if there is one I've been assuming an Imperial KX-series droid voices by Tudyk.

However, thinking about the Mothma stuff reminds me that at this time, Ashoka is working for Bail Organa as Fulcrum (a code name Andor eventually uses as well, though not on screen anywhere), and Hera Syndulla is also heavily in Organa's circle running missions, recruiting, and setting up cells like Luthen is for Mothma.

Andor (and season 1 of Rebels) occurs 5 BBY. Mothma makes her public denouncement of the Emperor and goes into exile in 2 BBY.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I've never understood the "rule" of certain tech having to be/remain 1970s tech
Well.... A series about a ragtag group of Rebels hacking their way onto the Imperial Bank's secure server to steal the quarterly payroll just doesn't excite me as much.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

Like anything with Star Wars, if you start to think about it too hard, it begins to fall apart.

But this is mostly because all the concepts of their technology was designed in the 70's, before digital anything was really around. Same reason they use sci-fi looking floppy disks for a lot of things. Or have droids with AI, but don't allow the actual ships or Death Star to have them.

It would be cool if they did a series that went 1000 years or so back in the past and retconned why they only allow AI into artificial droid bodies. It would be a new spin on Star Wars, but it might be considered too much of a rip off of dune.
Average Joe
AG
Star Wars is definitely not the only piece of sci fi that has huge disparities in technology, but I can see the complaint.

There have been other works that have done a good job showing how different areas of technology advance at different rates due to the needs and wants of the civilization that is developing them. This is only further exaggerated when you are talking about numerous planets and systems with significant differences in history and body structure.
bobinator
AG
Have y'all seen how slow and unreliable communications are in the galaxy? You're gonna trust your money to that?

No thanks, give me the hard currency backed by Palpatine.
Project Gemini
AG
I'm no elite Star Wars geek here. But theoretically, if they were to transmit payment data over radio or light waves, and the ships can go FTL across large distances, you could potentially move hard currency faster than electronic currency.
bobinator
AG
Now that's just a good old fashioned nerd post right there. I love it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

TCTTS said:

Like anything with Star Wars, if you start to think about it too hard, it begins to fall apart.

But this is mostly because all the concepts of their technology was designed in the 70's, before digital anything was really around. Same reason they use sci-fi looking floppy disks for a lot of things. Or have droids with AI, but don't allow the actual ships or Death Star to have them.

It would be cool if they did a series that went 1000 years or so back in the past and retconned why they only allow AI into artificial droid bodies. It would be a new spin on Star Wars, but it might be considered too much of a rip off of dune.
The prequels did feature a bit more advanced tech with the droid starfighters. When all of that was deactivated at the end of ROTS, I wonder if the Empire preferred to have its tech under manual control. Otherwise I doubt any X-Wing/Y-Wing hurtling down the Death Star trench would survive. Although there was a line about targeting computers being unable to track them during the attack.
#FJB
Prosperdick
AG
Everyone is overthinking the payroll heist concept. Star Wars is a space western and with a western you have certain tropes and one of them is robbing the payroll/bank/heist.

You can't have it both ways because if it becomes too technical/advanced it simply becomes Mission Impossible and I'd rather not get chocolate Tom Cruise in my Star Wars peanut butter (try to get that image out of your head now).
powerbelly
AG
In a world where basically any droid can hack into military systems with ease having electronic currency seems like a bad idea.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Stop ruining my Star Wars for not Star Wars people show. Go nerd out on the Star Wars Discussion thread.
redline248
AG
Even the Hutts knew better than to accept or deal in Republic credits. As a wise group of rappers once said, cash rules everything around me.
tk for tu juan
CREAM, dolla dolla bills y'all
tk for tu juan
I wonder if the original draft of the script had it as the quarterly tax revenue taken from this portion of the galaxy and they switched it to quarterly payroll out of fear of fan backlash
OnlyForNow
AG
You mean like why laser blaster bolts move at, what 145 miles per hour?

EXTREMELY SLOWLY?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Not lasers. Plasma. It's a superheated gas.
OnlyForNow
AG
Right.

Plasma bolts travel at about 145 mph.
ABATTBQ11
AG
That's actually kind of close to a BB gun.
twilly
AG
Laser bolts in Star Wars move slowly for one simple reason....

....cause they look freakin' cool on screen. If it travelled faster, you'd never see the bolt at all.

Stormtroopers would never see how bad their aim was until it hit something explosive behind their target.
OnlyForNow
AG
Mythbusters actually did an episode where they compared clips of shots in the OT, and then figured out what the speed would be. It's laughably slow.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Laser bolts in Star Wars move slowly for one simple reason....

....cause they look freakin' cool on screen. If it travelled faster, you'd never see the bolt at all.

Maybe we are just seeing tracer rounds between shots then??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.