*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,403 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
jamesagg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't started watching yet and haven't read through the thread to avoid spoilers, but is this show worth watching? I'm someone who has enjoyed The Mandalorian for the most part and thought that Boba Fett was a dud.
powerbelly
AG
jamesagg said:

I haven't started watching yet and haven't read through the thread to avoid spoilers, but is this show worth watching? I'm someone who has enjoyed The Mandalorian for the most part and thought that Boba Fett was a dud.

Its the best Star Wars live action since the OT
Mathguy64
AG
powerbelly said:

jamesagg said:

IMHO It's the best SW since Rebels live or otherwise.
jokershady
AG
My guess is that the first pictures you posted are going to be a flashback from when he was in an imperial prison….reading something in the manifesto is going to bring up memories of him in that prison and give us a little more backstory
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
80 million times YES. (Give or take.)
jkag89
jamesagg said:

If you enjoyed Rogue One, you'll enjoy this show.
jamesagg
AG
Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a go.
Marsh
AG
PatAg said:

I dont know if anyone is reading through this thread without watching, but if you are, watch all 3 in a row if you can. It was definitely written and released with that in mind, and it forms a nice movie-length story arc

I stopped reading the thread at this point to avoid spoilers but this was so true. Now that I'm caught up, I'd say 4-6 is also another movie-length story arc. I'd imagine they'd be taking the same approach for the next 6.

Anyway, I'm still catching up with the thread but just blue star for you. I'm glad I went into this with the understanding that I can't just sit for one... I wanted to make sure that if I sit down to watch, that I'd make enough time to watch multiple episodes.

I think the series has been terrific through 6 episodes.

My one and only complaint is the scene where Andor is being strangled in episode 6. It is more of a pet peeve, I suppose. I know Andor survives, which means I don't feel any suspense in this moment. It is like the "superman syndrome"; superman usually doesn't face death himself (not to say kryptonite isn't ever used as a plot device) so the story telling and suspense usually revolves around putting one of his relationships in danger (Lois, dad, mom, etc).

Therefore, since Andor clearly lives to rogue one and has functional immunity throughout this series, I would have liked to see them pivot to one of the other major team members and made their death a bit more significant. For example, maybe another team member gets ambushed and is being strangled and andor has to decide whether to help a teammate or get the ship going. I know there were already several moments in the episode that provide character development for Andor by showing he isn't just a mercenary; this could add another. Probably in the minority with this opinion; overall just a minor critique to a terrific series thus far.
The Porkchop Express
Feel like I'm going to be using this gif a lot over the next few years.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
HossAg
AG
Just caught up on episodes and this might be the best Star Wars content I've ever watched. The visuals in that last episode were incredible. Plot is amazing. I love it.
PatAg
AG
Though I will say, in that moment I was expecting someone else to either get hurt heelping him or forge a bond with him by saving him.
So while I wasnt concerned he would die, I still felt tension in the moment.
ABATTBQ11
AG
powerbelly said:

jamesagg said:

I dunno. Rogue 1 was pretty damn good. I feel like this has the benefit of a longer overall run time, but they're pretty close.
jbanda
AG
I am REALLY enjoying this series. Mando was a western in the SW universe, but this is so much more real. I'm on record here as saying that Rogue One is second only to Empire when ranking SW properties.

A few thoughts.

1.) This is a ground level view of a leftist terror cell (what the empire would consider anyway). That's why they seem hard AF to not only the imperials, but his wife and kid. That's just what these people have to be. They have to come off as born again hard.

2.) You can't have a leftist terror cell without AK's. It's the rules. This isn't 'nam...wait they'd have those in 'nam.

3.) Loved the TIE fighter buzzing the valley. I had the show on loud with our Sonos beam. Filled the room.

4.) Something you'd never hear in any other SW property ever that you heard in Andor Episode 6:

I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!!!

RUGGED.
DTP02
AG
I'd been waiting to let some episodes build up and see if there was some positivity after being highly disappointed in Boba Fett outside of the Mando episodes.

I've been generally aware that there were some positive reviews but didn't have much in the way of expectations.

So I finally broke down and watched the first two episodes last night. Apparently there isn't much chatter about this show in the teen world because my high school age son hadn't even heard of it. And he liked the Mandalorian and the movies.

I told him I was going to start it, and he wasn't interested. I literally paused it after the first 8-10 seconds and yelled out to him "this is going to be good!" "How can you tell from 3 seconds?" "You can just tell."

I mean, it was just so obvious that this was going to be good, and different, just from the opening few seconds.

It doesn't exactly feel like Star Wars, but it has a depth and grit and realness to it that not much in the Star Wars universe has ever had, and it's still set in that universe we all love, even if this is a different look and take on it.

After two episodes, as much as I like the Mandalorian for what it is, and at it's best it's been really good, I'd say this is the best Star Wars series ever.

I'm tempted to go even further than that, but need to watch some more and marinate on it.

But it's really dang good.

Also, is there any chance that the fat troublemaker guard who Andor shot in cold blood to cover his tracks after accidentally killing the first guy, was the "you'll be dead!" guy from the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars? This guy would have had to be way older than he looked, so I'm guessing they just found a look/sound alike to have a callback to that scene. I'm guessing that's already been discussed.
An L of an Ag
AG
Wait till you finish episode 6!
The Porkchop Express
DTP02 said:

Also, is there any chance that the fat troublemaker guard who Andor shot in cold blood to cover his tracks after accidentally killing the first guy, was the "you'll be dead!" guy from the Mos Eisley Cantina in Star Wars? This guy would have had to be way older than he looked, so I'm guessing they just found a look/sound alike to have a callback to that scene. I'm guessing that's already been discussed.
I'm really confused. Are you saying the character of the guard is the same guy in Star Wars - because if Andor killed him, he's dead way before A New Hope

Or are you saying it's the same actor? Alfie Curis played Dr. Evazan in Star Wars and died in 1987.

However, the character from the cantina you're referring to does have a cameo in Rogue One, as does his Aqualish friend Ponda Baba.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
DTP02
AG
Actor, not character. I answered my own question because way too much time has passed to be the same guy, but I think the showrunners were clearly trying to echo the Cantina scene with a similar looking actor to the pig-nose alien character.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Broken record, I know, but holy sh*t this show is incredible.

Favorite episode yet, more so than even last week. If I'm being completely honest, I prefer Cassian's lurking, Mon Mothma's dealings, Luthen's acting, and the always simmering Officer Merro scenes to the heist action. And this episode had maybe the best of all of those things.

I also can't get over how much we're seeing in this series that's never been shown before in the franchise. That final beach resort planet was so cool and unique, we got our second ever hint of sex (the woman in bed), we had I think our first ever TV set (which Karn and his mom were watching), we saw someone take a leak an episode or two ago… all of which makes the universe feel so much more real and lived in than any other installment prior.

So many great conversations this episode too. Mon Mothma divulging to her fellow senator had me on the edge of my seat, Cassian's second conversation with his adopted mother was heartbreaking, and the final Meero scene toward the end were each some of the best writing not only in Star Wars, but on TV right now period.

If anything, it never crossed my mind how cool it would be to witness the inflection point of the Rebels landing their first punch and officially putting themselves on the map. It's just so thrilling to watch everyone react in the aftermath to the heist, and see how galvanized and nervous everyone is now on both sides, that there's no turning back, etc.

A few other tidbits…

- First mention of Palpatine was awesome. Just hearing his name, in this world, is exciting.

- I loved the little bit more we got about Cassian's backstory, where the name Clem came from, and seeing that Cassian too has a very personal reason to hate the Empire, he just hasn't embraced it yet.

- I don't know if that was meant to be the droid who eventually becomes K-2SO or not - I'm assuming no - but either way I literally raised my fist in celebration when he first appeared. What a fun fake out/tease.

- The score for this series is going to make for such great writing/working music, and this episode featured some of my favorite music yet. It really is unlike anything we've heard before in the franchise.
boogieman
AG
Slower episode than last week, but man I thought it was just as good. Even had a real long run time that flew by.

Loved all the Mon Mothma scenes. I'm hanging on every word she says.

Liked how Luthen has his own thoughts on the rebellion.

Had to laugh at the way Andor gets pinched.
tk for tu juan
Creative use for an old credit card machine from the 80's and early 90's. As soon as the music kicked in, knew Niamos would be a party resort
Karrde
AG
TCTTS said:

Mon Mothma divulging to her fellow senator had me on the edge of my seat

Didn't sound like he was a Senator. He was a banker she grew up with on Chandrila. He was saying stuff along the lines of 'I don't know how you can stand living and working here'.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That woman in the 2 that are second to last is Luthen's assistant
Chipotlemonger
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Isn't the woman the helper in the antique store?

Lol I missed this.
The Porkchop Express
First of all, nice to know the galaxy has a Venice Beach. Although when the girl in bed was first calling for Keef, thought we were about to have a cross-platform cameo:

Having Wullf Yularen show up was really sensational for me. He's made the rounds in the card games, Rebels, Clone Wars and Timothy Zahn's novel Thrawn from a few years go. Makes me wonder if they'll drop a 5-second Thrawn cameo in here before the season is over or save him for save him for Ahsoka.

I love how ruthless the Empire is. You slap them in the face, they drop a Star Destroyer on you.

The Waif cleans up nice!

Loved seeing the clone troopers in action in the Cassian / Clem flashback.

Mon Mothma's stuff is far and away my favorite. Loved her glancing at her husband when she mentions the boring distraction that she projects herself to be. Loved her saying she's learned from Palpatine to "show you the stone in my hand so you don't notice the knife at your throat." Also like that at the fancy party, there are virtually no aliens - all humans. The few aliens there are look mostly human.

Great to see the pair of K2s and the shore troopers Cassian will encounter later in Rogue One.

I really like what a d*bag he is right now. Thinking he'll ride back to Ferrix and everyone will be happy to see he's alive and rich. He has no idea that Bix is devastated by Timm's death or that his mother got roughed up by the security forces. All he sees is himself and can't believe people blame the Empire's presence on him. "Yeah, sure I killed 2 guys, but Timm is a tattle tale!"

We got the Sly Moore reference a few episodes ago, and Mon Mothma mentioned "The Grand Vizier" this ime, who is Mas Amedda from the prequels.

Henry Thomas destined to work at the Galactic equalivalent of the USPS for the rest of his life.

Loved our favorite blonde ISB agent mopping the ****ing floor with her rival. That was a great scene.

Loved the local judge telling him "Take it up with the Emperor.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
DTP02
AG
jamesagg said:

I was in your exact same shoes a few days ago and I'm now completely caught up.

It's by far the best Star Wars series, although it has a different feel than just about everything else Star Wars. It's Star Wars for grownups.

Frankly, it's already better in terms of overall quality than every Star Wars movie other than maybe the OT and Rogue One. And it's deeper, richer, and feels more real than any previous Star Wars production, including the OT and Rogue One.

They haven't had a misstep yet. It's really pretty amazing. I can't remember the last time I thought that way about a series, and I have definitely never thought that about a Star Wars series.
redline248
AG
Yep, this episode was great. I was struck at how at odds Mon Mothma and Luthen are over the ongoings of rebellion. For some reason I didn't expect that. I agree that her conversation with the banker was excellent, and I also laughed at the irritating line she directed at her husband. By the way, she looked super hot in that dress.

All the isb stuff was good, too, and it's funny to be somewhat cheering for an imperial.

Typical bs cops, picking on a minority and locking him up on bogus charges
DTP02
AG
redline248 said:

Yep, this episode was great. I was struck at how at odds Mon Mothma and Luthen are over the ongoings of rebellion. For some reason I didn't expect that. I agree that her conversation with the banker was excellent, and I also laughed at the irritating line she directed at her husband. By the way, she looked super hot in that dress.

All the isb stuff was good, too, and it's funny to be somewhat cheering for an imperial.

Typical bs cops, picking on a minority and locking him up on bogus charges

This is another example of how smart and on point this show is. That's exactly how a rebellion would look in its infancy. The tension between high-minded principles and the reality of what rebellion looks like on the ground is present in every historical revolution. She's been in more of an academic rebellion to this point.
The Collective
AG
Love Meero's character. The shock on her face when her assessment is well received is great. Shows that she is smart but doesn't expect to receive that level of respect from her superior. Great character building with just an expression.
MandoArms
Anyone else notice that Luthen and Meero use the same quote? "It either grows or it dies" .

Edit:
Luthen says the rebel network "will either grow or die."
Meero says " systems either change or die."

Still similar enough, possible old family saying?
IG: mando_arms
The Porkchop Express
I like that when she bests her rival, Meero gets the smug look on her face when Qyburn asks her to take a walk with him, and that smugness lasts about 6 seconds until he tells her to watch his back.

If you haven't watched Clone Wars or Rebels, Yularen (guy giving briefing to ISB at the beginning) has been all over those shows. He worked directly with Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars,

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Was thinking to myself what a strange trip for Genevieve O'Reilly playing Mon Mothma, makes you wonder if any actor has ever taken such a wandering route with a character.

Revenge of the Sith 2005: In a few scenes vaguely but no lines and never called by name; has a few lines in the deleted scenes, mostly cast because she looks like the OG Mon Mothma.

Rogue One 2016: More than a decade later shows up in Rogue One as the same character, much more important, a few pivotal scenes.

Rebels 2017: Does the voice of the character on a couple of episodes of a cartoon - a good one - but still an animated show.

Andor 2022: Basically the second lead, and for me, the most fascinating character on the show.

Until I looked up her IMDB, I was not aware she was in the Matrix sequels.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
Loved this episode. Only thing I didn't like was Cinta on the speeder. That 2-3 second shot looked horrible compared to everything else so far.
Average Joe
AG
The party scene with Mon Mothra was brilliance.

Meero is the mirror of Luthen and its creating something great.

This Coruscant is amazing and could have so many layers we haven't seen.

I'm starting to get sad that we have Rogue One already, because watching it after this series would be one hell of a cap on this story.

Damn I love this show. Do another 10 like it now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.