*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,535 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The Collective said:

When does Disney + give us a Friends styled show set on Coruscant?

I'd prefer a Honeymooners type show about the lives of 2 civil servants working in the bowels of Coruscant.

Or an All in the Family remake.

I want a workplace docu-comedy ala The Office about employees on either of the Death Stars.
Duncan Idaho
Stripes but the imperial navy
jeffk
AG
YES
The Porkchop Express
A remake of the Jeffersons where a pair of Rodians earn enough to move into a high-rise in Coruscant and their wacky next door neighbor is up and coming senator Sheev Palpatine.

One-liners that George and Weezie Rodian will have

"Oh, Palpatine, you're always up to something!"

"I swear Sheev, one day you'll be the death of me!"

"Don't turn your back on Palpatine or you'll be sorry!"
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
PatAg
AG
I am pretty confident an adaptation of the Coruscant Nights series (or something very similar) would work well.
It's essentially about a Jedi Knight that survived Order 66, who hides out in the lower levels of Coruscant and makes a living as a private investigator and concealing his jedi-ness.

So you mix aspects of the force and larger Star Wars universe in, but its ultimately about detective work and star wars gangster stuff.,

Also think a star wars based mafia/mob movie could be really interesting.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Duncan Idaho said:

Stripes but the imperial navy
Porkins: My name's Jek Porkins. My friends call me Porky. You might have noticed that, uh, I've got a slight weight problem.
Rebel pilots: Noooo! Nooo!
Porkins: "Yeah, yeah I do. I went to this medical droid. Well, he told me I swallow a lot of aggression, along with a lot of nerf steaks! Ha ha ha! Nerf steaks! I'm basically a shy person. I'm a shy guy. Uh, he suggested taking one of these uh, aggression training course. You these aggression training courses like How to Act Like a Sith in 90 Days?, those types of things. Anyway, it cost 400 credits! 400 credits to join this thing! Well I didn't have the credits, and I thought to myself, "Join the Rebel Alliance! It's free!" So I figured while I'm here I'll lose a few pounds. And you got what, a 6-to-8 mission training program here? A real tough one? Which is perfect for me. I'm going to fly outta Yavin a lean, mean, TIE-fighter blasting machine!" Ha ha hah!"

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
fig96
AG
Appreciate it man!
fig96
AG
These all lean kinda Star Wars 1313 (which I'd be totally in for), hoping for some of that feel from Andor as well.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

cheers!

Faustus
jeffk said:

Duncan Idaho said:

The Collective said:

When does Disney + give us a Friends styled show set on Coruscant?

I'd prefer a Honeymooners type show about the lives of 2 civil servants working in the bowels of Coruscant.

Or an All in the Family remake.

I want a workplace docu-comedy ala The Office about employees on either of the Death Stars.
I'm thinking Severance style about some of the Stormtroopers' innies.
The Collective
AG
Who is getting up tonight?
The Porkchop Express
Yo
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
I'm trying to explain to my wife the logic of going to bed early so I can watch the show at 2 am as opposed to getting a good night sleep and watching it at 9am. She doesn't get it.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean i don't either tbh.
TCTTS
AG
Watching it in real time at night > watching it in the morning. Personally, I can't watch anything in the morning. Something about watching big shows or movies before lunch just feels wrong.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean i don't either tbh.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Releasing it at a reasonable time > releasing it at 2 am

This continues to be such a stupid ****ing thing they do.
TCTTS
AG
On that we can agree.
boogieman
AG
Let's Go!
TCTTS
AG
I broke down, watched the first episode, and holy crap they finally did it. They made a Star Wars series for adults, one that plays, looks, and sounds better than anything I was expecting, and my expectations were already sky high. The cast, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the cinematography, the score… it all instantly makes for one of my favorite Star Wars things ever, and hardly anything's even happened so far. It's like Rogue One by way of Tron: Legacy, Blade Runner, and Wall-E, with an edge and level of writing I never thought I'd see from Star Wars.

Honestly, for me, Mando doesn't even hold a candle to this.

And again, the first episode is almost more of a tease than anything. It didn't even feel like it scratched the surface, yet I could not be more amped.

I just… hell yeah.

THIS is the future of the franchise. This vibe. It can be other vibes too, of course, but whatever *this* is, it needs to be the spine and the anchor from here on out.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, then knocking out the next two episodes Wednesday night, and I cannot wait.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
I mean....this is how you do it right
twilly
AG
It has the look of Star Wars, but with a harder edge. It feels like Star Wars, but has absolutely nothing to do with the Force. While it's obvious who is good or evil in this show, you can see the lines blur right before your eyes.

This show has a depth that the other series are lacking.
boogieman
AG
That was a great start. "Star Wars for adults" is right.
The Collective
AG
Dang. I decided to sleep last night. Wife and kids are out tonight until about 8, so that leaves me time for an episode or two undisturbed.
The Porkchop Express
"Don't you wanna fight these basterds for real?"

It was like watching a movie, which given Tony GIlroy, I guess is what it really is. Totally worth skipping 2 a.m. -4 am. of sleepy time for me.

Random observations after a few hours of sleep
The world building on both Cassian's current planet and the one he grew up on are just lovely. Production design off the charts - lots of familiar Star Wars looks, but lots of things that make me feel like I'm on an alien world untouched by Skywalkers and Solos.

One of my biggest pluses was that they didn't put the native tribe's language in subtitles. We can only go by body language, facial expressions, and tone/pitch of voice to guess at their meanings.

The first 5 minutes have a brothel, booze, and an execution-style murder. That's exciting, but probably going to have me telling my SW fan she's not old enough to watch it, which is heart breaking.

Kudos to Timm for presumably nailing Bix after ratting out her ex-BF to the imps. That takes some balls.

I love that the Chris Farley-esque military officer played for laughs in the beginning, then you saw him being really efficient at his job, then giving into conspiracy "They're everywhere!" at the end. I can definitely see him and the deputy inspector getting really sadistic if they continue on in the show.

The random, yet coordinated acts of defiance and rebellion by the rest of the people in town was probably my favorite thing - the beating on the metal to raise the alarm, which the militia guys totally misinterpreted, the guys showing up outside Marva's house to question what they were doing to her, and Cassian's friend hitching the squad car to the giant slab of stone were all what Marva is talking about.

The editing cuts back and forth in the final half of the third episode between past and present, revealing Cassian's true origins in getting off planet then and now.

Everything Skaarsgard did as Luthien. Especially when he was testing/interviewing Andor, and you realized he already knew the asnwer of how to steal from the Empire, and he just wanted to see if Andor knew too. He has been in so many incredible roles, but feels like he was born to play this one.

The first talk between the Deputy Inspector and his supervisor. That guy was fantastic, great, tight scene, and the guy totally had the right of what happened, and was like - I don't have time for this BS.

Incredible to think all of that was without a single stormtrooper or TIE or Star Destroyer, that was just fighting against a giant corrupt corporation that has control of your city.

Great tapping into on some connections from other pieces of SW work

the holo-entertainer at the brothel, those have been in half the video games in SW history at least, including KOTOR, TOR, and Galaxies.

Lucien's ship's droid is from Fondor, the shipyard, according to the sub titles.

The family droid looked a lot like the droids from the Black Hole. I loved how fluent BEEMO was.

The ships the corporate police used looked a lot like the Republic's go-to ships during the Clone Wars.

It was a Republic vessel coming to investigate the crash when Cassian was a kid.

One more thing ...

The scene on his home planet where he pauses and looks into the open strip-mining pit was really phenomenal. Years ago, my brother and I took a road trip through Arizona and stayed on night in Bisbee, a small town that during the mid-20th century was a boom town because of its mines full of copper and turquoise. Its population was around 10,000 in the late 50s, then the mines played out and all the big companies lit out, leaving behind scarred landscape and people who couldn't afford to move somewhere else. It was so striking seeing that giant pit in the episode, such a familiarity to what happens when big brother has used your town (or planet) all up and just moves on.

Bisbee

Andor

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
PatAg
AG
Immediately made me think of lithium mining pits
PatAg
AG
I dont know if anyone is reading through this thread without watching, but if you are, watch all 3 in a row if you can. It was definitely written and released with that in mind, and it forms a nice movie-length story arc
The Porkchop Express
PatAg said:

I dont know if anyone is reading through this thread without watching, but if you are, watch all 3 in a row if you can. It was definitely written and released with that in mind, and it forms a nice movie-length story arc
yeah I agree, in fact at the end of the first episode, I had forgotten I was watching a TV show and was surprised at the credits rolling!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Average Joe
AG
Holy crap, just inject another 50 episodes of that right into my vein!

I've been saying for years that the Star Wars universe uses Jedi/Sith/space magic as a crutch way too much. Underneath all of that is literally WORLDS of struggle from normal people under the thumb of the Empire that is infinitely more relatable to generations worth of Star Wars fans.

Every person on this project needs to be retained. The writers, directors, producers, camera people, whoever designed the gunfight, the set designers, everyone. Don't even change janitorial staff.

Mando is cool, but this was multiple steps above that. If Disney isn't lining up 5 more 'Andors' right now then they are lost.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Rogue Squadron or something like the Twighlight Company books could be amazing like this.
bluefire579
AG
Only watch the first two so far, but absolutely loving it. The tone feels exactly in line with his first scene in Rogue One, but you can also see that he's not that hardened killer that we see there just yet.

I also absolutely love that the flashback scenes do not have subtitles. It was a bit confusing at first, but as they went on, it felt like they did a great job of communicating without having to say anything, and really helps give make their isolation feel more real, especially when they encounter the imperials at the crash.

Can't wait for more.
The Porkchop Express
Time Travel and reincarnation confirmed in Star Wars. Bix's boyfriend Timm was reincarnated and inspired by his girlfriend joined Princess Leia's resistance to fly an X-Wing in the Battle of Star Killer base!

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Average Joe
AG
This might be the riskiest project Disney has ever done.

Dark tone on a huge franchise with no fan service. We didn't get the force, barely just one Empire emblem with no stormtroopers.

Yet it is already a home run.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.