*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,382 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

That is the direction I think they're going for now, but it will be a long time, IMO. Taiki wants something completely new, which is admirable, but my understanding is that there's not even a story yet. I think it'll be awhile before a movie is made and released. Supposedly they want late 2023, but I don't see that happening. Kathleen Kennedy has said they're really focused on theatrical releases, but I think that's kind of lip service and they're putting their resources into Disney+ content. For one, they want subscribers, but for two I don't think a standalone movie would be successful at this point. Taika's might be at some point because he's a great filmmaker, but more specifically because he wants something new. I think a Lando movie would absolutely crater because it would be seen as another Solo. So would a Poe movie or a movie about any existing character. R1 was phenomenal because all of the characters were new and fresh. It was still tied to the original saga, but by just the right amount. That's the kind of movie they need.

I don't think any kind of big crossover movie of Disney+ content would go over well either. That would be the equivalent of the Paw Patrol movie or the Simpsons movie. It will inevitably be just a long episode with a bigger budget for better effects. A lot of people with Disney+ will simply wait for it to come out like they do for the next season of any show.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Mando and Grogu are *hugely* popular. I'd argue that they're potentially more popular than even Rey or Kylo at this point. Combined with Ahsoka and Thrawn, and their stories coming to a head in the same movie, along with Luke wrecking shop again in some capacity, and it would be a massive event movie. Not to mention, when it comes to blockbusters, audiences are showing up again in droves. Give the movie an exclusive, 45-day theatrical run before it hits Disney+, and the audience will be there. Just like they are for Marvel movies.

I'm not sure saying they're more popular than kylo and rey is saying much at this point.

All of these characters are on very different arcs. Mando is reconciling his sense of duty as a Mandalorian with his sense of duty to Grogu as a father figure along with his seeming desire for solitude and being thrust into the battle for the leadership of Mandalore. Ahsoka is tying up lose ends and, I think, still trying to figure out exactly who she is and where she fits in the world. She may or may not (I think not) be on a path to returning to the Jedi. Luke's story is already written, and any such huge event is conspicuously absent, though it could certainly be explained and retconned. With all of that, bringing those arcs together for some kind of event would probably be and feel very contrived and forced (pun intended). I think it's fine for them to drift in and out of each other's shows as anchors to a wider universe, but a team up event would be a little much. To me, it would be best for these stories to remain on the small screen and be well developed over many episodes in their own series than exploited for a single event movie.

Would it be a huge event? Sure. Would it be commercially successful? Yeah, I have a hard time seeing it lose money. Would it be good? No, or at least i don't think so. I think it would be like the sequels and make money while also damaging the brand. I think it's a movie people would walk out of and think, "I should have just waited for Disney+," which hurts the chances for every movie that follows. A team up movie based on multiple streaming series will be looked at as a cheesy cash grab like Solo while having to reset the low expectations of the sequels. It would have to be good and not just big.

As for Marvel, I for one am Marvelled out. I have very little desire to watch anything new in a theater. I watched multiverse of madness on Disney+ and wondered what the hell was going on until I realized it played on wandavision, which I didn't watch. I'm not watching 6-8 hours of a show to set up a 2 hour movie i have to pay an arm and a leg to go see. I'm also not going go watch every Marvel movie to get all the tie ins for whatever big event movie they're going to do. It's just way to much for something so formulaic. If I watch any of them, it'll be on D+. I still haven't watched Thor. I loved GotG, but even that I'm going to wait for. I think there's a danger in doing the same with Star Wars and being it to death through crossovers. At some point, it'll be too much for people to invest in and they'll walk away.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think that's EXACTLY what will happen, and it will be the worst parts of the sequels and Solo. The trap of focusing on the event and the spectacle of it instead of the story is just too appealing for it not to.
PatAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I think that's EXACTLY what will happen, and it will be the worst parts of the sequels and Solo. The trap of focusing on the event and the spectacle of it instead of the story is just too appealing for it not to.
That is my worry, as long as Kennedy is in charge.
redline248
AG
I just want to talk about the younger inspector disregarding the older guy, doing his own thing and ending up creating a huge sh-t show. Ol' boy knew what he was talking about.
jeffk
AG
redline248 said:

I just want to talk about the younger inspector disregarding the older guy, doing his own thing and ending up creating a huge sh-t show. Ol' boy knew what he was talking about.

Yeah, nothing like returning to the office on a Monday after a business trip weekend to discover your underling did his damnedest to start an all-out insurrection on a quiet planet after you asked him to just fill out some paperwork while you were away.
ABATTBQ11
AG
redline248 said:

His look at the end of the third episode was, "What the **** have I done?" Unfortunately, I don't think the words, "training accident," are going to occur to him and this is the kind of stuff that gets the Empire's attention.
redline248
AG
He 100% should be sitting in the chief's office with his feet on the desk when he gets back. I mean, how much more trouble can he get in?
TCTTS
AG

PatAg
AG
So Ep 4 comes out at 2 am Wed morning? Or 2 am Thurs morning?
twilly
AG
12 hours from now
PatAg
AG
What a dumb release time
Apache
AG
Quote:

Yeah, nothing like returning to the office on a Monday after a business trip weekend to discover your underling did his damnedest to start an all-out insurrection on a quiet planet after you asked him to just fill out some paperwork while you were away.
YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!!
javajaws
AG
Wait...so there are only going to be 2 seasons of Andor? And the 2nd season is going to take 2 years to release?!?

This makes me sad.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
cbr
AG
jeffk said:

redline248 said:

seriously... i know how he feels....
PatAg
AG
javajaws said:

Wait...so there are only going to be 2 seasons of Andor? And the 2nd season is going to take 2 years to release?!?

This makes me sad.
2 years from now? yikes
ABATTBQ11
AG
javajaws said:

This makes me sad.

We all know how this ends...
TCTTS
AG
javajaws said:

This makes me sad.

My post from page one…

Quote:

Just FYI, for a bit more context about the series as a whole...

- While Andor is set to last only two, pre-planned seasons, at 12 episodes per season that's equal to three full seasons of The Mandalorian.

- According to showrunner Tony Gilroy, the full, 24-episode series will ultimately, in the end, "walk the audience directly into the first scenes of Rogue One."

- Season one begins five years before the events of Rogue One (with flashbacks to Andor's childhood) and will cover ONE year in the timeline.

- Season two, however, will cover the remaining FOUR years, with every three episodes covering another year in the timeline (again, for 12 episodes total). According to Gilory, "We're going to take our four blocks of three [episodes] in the second half of the show and each block is going to represent another year closer. We really get to take the formative forging of Cassian Andor in the first 12 episodes and then we get to take that organism that we've built up and run it through the next four years in a really exciting narrative fashion."

- Season two begins filming in November, so I'm guessing it will see an early 2024 premiere. With season three of The Mandalorian (February), season one of Ahsoka (summer?), and season one of Skeleton Crew (fall?) seemingly taking up most of 2023 on the Disney+ Star Wars front - along with the fact that 12 episodes takes significantly longer to produce than your typical eight-episode run - a Q1 2024 premiere makes the most sense to me.

In short, 24 episodes is still a sh*t ton of content, and it won't be two full years that we have to wait.
Mathguy64
AG
They are dancing all around Rebels. I want a live action Rebels with new content. Ezra, Sabine, Kanan, Hera, Zeb, Chopper and Rex. And I want it NOW!
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

javajaws said:

This makes me sad.

My post from page one…

Quote:

Just FYI, for a bit more context about the series as a whole...

- While Andor is set to last only two, pre-planned seasons, at 12 episodes per season that's equal to three full seasons of The Mandalorian.

- According to showrunner Tony Gilroy, the full, 24-episode series will ultimately, in the end, "walk the audience directly into the first scenes of Rogue One."

- Season one begins five years before the events of Rogue One (with flashbacks to Andor's childhood) and will cover ONE year in the timeline.

- Season two, however, will cover the remaining FOUR years, with every three episodes covering another year in the timeline (again, for 12 episodes total). According to Gilory, "We're going to take our four blocks of three [episodes] in the second half of the show and each block is going to represent another year closer. We really get to take the formative forging of Cassian Andor in the first 12 episodes and then we get to take that organism that we've built up and run it through the next four years in a really exciting narrative fashion."

- Season two begins filming in November, so I'm guessing it will see an early 2024 premiere. With season three of The Mandalorian (February), season one of Ahsoka (summer?), and season one of Skeleton Crew (fall?) seemingly taking up most of 2023 on the Disney+ Star Wars front - along with the fact that 12 episodes takes significantly longer to produce than your typical eight-episode run - a Q1 2024 premiere makes the most sense to me.

In short, 24 episodes is still a sh*t ton of content, and it won't be two full years that we have to wait.

Quote:

Gilroy said that his work on "Andor" is really sticking around considering they still have to produce and release "Andor" Season 2. "I have two more years to go," Gilroy said. "We start shooting in November on Part 2. And I don't know if … Our past pattern was two years, but I mean, I'll be on … We'll shoot from November to August. And then our post[-production] last time was about a year."

That probably means, at the earliest, we can expect "Andor" Season 2 (or part two, as Gilroy calls it) in fall 2024. But if the first batch is any indication, it'll be worth the wait.

https://www.thewrap.com/andor-season-2-release-date-2024/
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
TCTTS
AG
The Wrap doesn't seem to be taking into account the fact that they're still on post production on season one. In other words, if everything wraps up by August 2024, season two could, and likely will, have already debuted by then. There are also a ton of Covid protocols that slowed season one down that almost assuredly won't slow down season two. Still a long way to go either way, but my point is it's not like we'll be waiting two years after the end of season one for season two to debut. I would guess summer 2024 at this point.
The Porkchop Express
2024: Andor is so popular they option a third season and rewrite history where Andor kills Vader and Sheev with his bare hands while simultaneously reprogramming the Death Star to shoot out rainbows and Ewoks
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Duncan Idaho
I thought you said "reprogram the death star to shoot ewoks" and I was all kinds of on board
redline248
AG
No, what really will happen is we find our Andor goes to Endor before meeting Jyn and teaches them how to fight Imperial Armor
twilly
AG
If they did retcon for a season 3 of Andor....

We find out that Cassian didn't die on Scariff. It was his clone Cassiaan "Joruus" Andor who was vaporized from the DS blast. Cassian is actually in deep cover as a leader of a smuggling ring. His undercover name is Talon Karrde.
PatAg
AG
Cousin!
TCTTS
AG
This show is soooooooooo damn good.

I told myself I wasn't going to stay up every Tuesday night for it, but I just couldn't wait, considering how great the first three episodes were - and, surprise, surprise, it delivered yet again. Maybe even the best episode yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I seriously can't believe this exists. I mean, there were multiple times this episode where I was floored by the simplest things... the ISB meeting that felt so perfectly Empirey, the Corpos dork going home to his mom in the lower levels of Coruscant, the hush-hush talk between Luthen and Mon Mothma about Rebel financing, Mon Mothma's impeccable apartment... it was all so incredibly adult, well-written, well-shot, and a peek behind all the corners and doors in the galaxy we haven't been privy to until now.

From here on out, all I want is for Star Wars to never stop being this. Instead, though, I'm afraid it's just going to make all the other shows feel that much worse. It's that good and that much of a game-changer.

More than anything, it just feels real.

Andor and Vel trekking through the "highlands" - a sprawling, real-life location - as the TIE fighters screamed by... it was all so cinematic and non-Volumey, and I bought every second of it, along with the band of Rebels as real people on a real planet desperate to complete a real mission. In fact, I love how they almost felt primitive, with their camp and their fire in the foothills, subconsciously selling the idea that *these* few people are literally the very first Rebels, bickering and not even sure if what they're doing is going to succeed or make a difference.

Every storyline is so compelling in that sense, and the cutting back-and-forth between them so engaging. Not to mention, I can't remember the last time anything like this made me sympathetic to two "bad" guys, the Corpos dork and even Dedra, the ISB officer. They're both so clearly on the wrong side of history, yet I completely "get" their plights, to the point of almost rooting for them now, in the face of such insufferable bureaucracy. (Also, that subtle, defeated look the Corpos dork gave, as the elevator starting descending into the depths of Coruscant, was so perfect.)

Overall, Andor isn't just good for a Star Wars series, it's an incredible series period, already in my top three of the year (Severance and Better Call Saul being the other two); so good that I can't wait to watch this episode again tomorrow night.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg said:

Cousin!

I literally raised my fist in the air in celebration, alone on my couch, like a huge nerd, twice this episode... once when Coruscant appeared on screen for the first time in live action since 2005... and the other when Cousin appeared and I yelled out loud to myself, "Cousin!"
RebAg13
AG
Great episode
We are the Aggies, The Aggies are We
beagle2009
AG
Getting big Millenium Falcon vibes from the quick shots we got of Luthen's ship. Definitely looks Correllian.
jokershady
AG
Avoiding comments here…..but I checked the IMDB rating for this episode and it's up there with S2 E8 of Mandalorian with Luke Skywalker.

Holy balls can't wait to watch this tonight with the family!
Flashdiaz
AG
to be fair, the people who have watched it up until now are super fans anyway.

Regardless, I wouldn't expect anything less than fantastic given the previous episodes.
PatAg
AG
The simple scene, where we get to see Skarsgard transform from the Alliance operative into a museum curator, is just great
The Porkchop Express
Beautiful episode without a single laser gun or cannon fired.

Things that I loved about this episode.

When Andor takes a drink of Luthen's "Med Nog", he doesn't wince like it's too strong, he just drinks it.

Let's give it up for Maester Qyburn as the head of ISB. THE ISB is in a Star Wars show! The joy of my fellow Rogue Squadron readers is palpable this morning. Qyburn has some crazy name but he is acting a lot like ol' Armand Isard. Loved the politics inside that office. Rival directors pushing trying to uncover secrets and get themselves promoted.

I wish I could have freeze-framed every single Coruscant scene and put on VR goggles to walk around inside it. So amazing to see it fleshed out once more. Loved SKarsgaard's disguise as the vapid, showy, boutique owner, once again gave me some Hunger Games vibes watching him put on the wig and the rings and the purple suit. Great stuff. Perfect cover to have because it means he can go jetting around the galaxy finding "antiques" but really helping the Rebellion, and selling the pieces to fund the cause.

Everything Mon Mothma. She nails it. She's got the hardest job of all. Constantly being watched. Hiding in plain sight. Risking everything. Feels like she married a dumb **** to maintain her cover. I was so disappointed Sly Moore didn't show up for dinner though!

Moving Elliott from ET in with his mom on Coruscant probably sets up the blonde ISB agent tracking him down and giving him new purpose to further pursue Andor.

Really seeing the Empire stretching its reach - the story of how it took over the planet that Cassian is on now and just moved everything and altered the landscape to its purposes, and the way they take over his old homeworld. One f*up by local security and the Empire is now in charge, no questions asked. You imagine all those people that intervened to help Cassian escape now seeing the troop transports land the stormtroopers arriving. Bad news.

References I heard - Scarif was the obvious Easter Egg drop, but we also had Hosnian Prime (system destroyed by Starkiller Base), Mon Mothma's home world of Chandrila, made famous in the JEdi Academy video game, Mimban! Mimban from Splinter's of a Mind's Eye which is also where Han Solo meets Woody and Val in Solo; did they just cannonize that Andor and Solo were in the Imperial Army together? Ryloth - hope of the Twileks, Arvala-6, which I'm assuming is next to Arvala-7 where Mando rescues Grogu, and the super deep cut of Ghorman from the X-Wing game in the 90s.

Other Easter Eggs
Then we got to nerd candy central for me when Luthen mentions his kyber crystal is to celebrate the victory of the Rakatan Empire. Holy ****! Straight out of KOTOR.

Luthen's shop: I mean, just kill me already. Starkiller's armor from The Force Unleashed was in there. And some Mando armor, And what looked like Sith & Jedi holcorons.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
ABATTBQ11
AG
beagle2009 said:

Getting big Millenium Falcon vibes from the quick shots we got of Luthen's ship. Definitely looks Correllian.

I got that same vibe. I love the ship continuity in the SW universe. Someone is really paying attention. You can see the evolution of tie fighters, x-wings, star destroyers, imperial shuttles, and others. The landing pods in the third episode were obviously drawn from the clone gunships. A lot of others have obvious ties together and you can see the similar styles.
PatAg
AG
I hate to be a broken record, but how is this show just so clearly a step above the others in terms of the technical aspects?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.