*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,517 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

This is where having young kids is a downer….cause of late practices and homework and dinner and all that we usually have to wait until Friday.

I decided to not let my kids watch Andor, so I don't even have to worry about their schedule. I watch it after they go to bed.
Prosperdick
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So is there an extended clip where he talks about Narcos? It's clearly in the VCR library they show and the title of the video but he never discusses it.

I also liked him in Open Range but I guess that was too minor a character (and mostly lying on a table).
AgLaw02
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

All you Fett haters are just jealous because you know Cassian Andor could never pull off a move like this!

lol that gif is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a screen.
The Porkchop Express
AgLaw02 said:

All you Fett haters are just jealous because you know Cassian Andor could never pull off a move like this!

lol that gif is the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a screen.
So you haven't watched our football team this year?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jokershady
AG

TCTTS
AG
It's that time of night, on Tuesday nights, where I've finally accepted that I'm going to stay up late to watch Andor, as opposed to going to bed at a reasonable hour, like I fully planned to all week, up until even an hour or so ago. Rinse and repeat week after week.
double aught
AG
Finally caught up, just before the new episode. I can see why they released the first three episodes at once, as the first two are quite slow. But surprisingly, I was still interested. That's what interesting characters, dialogue, and locations will do.

Anyway, bring on episode 5. I love a good heist!
TCTTS
AG
Given the fact that they're telling this story in three-episode arcs, we should have known that the heist itself wouldn't happen until next week.

Still, even in an action-less episode, this one was full of great, poignant little moments. That, and I'm now convinced that this is the best dialogue in the entire franchise. Just so many fantastic lines and exchanges.

Also, if anything, I've never been more afraid of TIE fighters. They've made those things straight up terrifying, as they should be.

Man, I cannot wait for next week.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Continues to be a great show. I'm really impressed with how much character development they're able to do in such short periods of time with them. Very economical storytelling.

A little disappointed we didn't get to see the actual heist, but I did have a feeling they'd leave it for the third episode of the arc.

Really wish I could watch it right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also:

- Blue milk cereal. Brilliant.
- That TIE fighter low-altitude flyby was awesome.
- Henry Thomas's mom plays a great overbearing mother. I'm sure many adults my age can relate.
- More Coruscant please. Excited to see the Senate.
jeffk
AG
What's wrong, sweetheart? You haven't touched your death star puffs and blue milk.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

Given the fact that they're telling this story in three-episode arcs, we should have known that the heist itself wouldn't happen until next week.

Still, even in an action-less episode, this one was full of great, poignant little moments. That, and I'm now convinced that this is the best dialogue in the entire franchise. Just so many fantastic lines and exchanges.

Also, if anything, I've never been more afraid of TIE fighters. They've made those things straight up terrifying, as they should be.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the TIEs. I don't think I've ever considered them to be so menacing in any other movie or show as they were in that episode.

Side note, didn't realize until I was poking around wikipedia today, but the blonde Imperial inspector voiced Yennifer in the Witcher 3, so random connection there.
The Porkchop Express
I was a bit underwhelmed by this one. Still had lots of great moments, but nothing got moved along very much. I did like the Waif's line of dialogue that "Everyone has their own rebellion." That's a good way to put it. Everyone has a reason to hate the Empire. They don't have to be the same reason. Luke, Han, and Leia all came to the rebellion for very different reasons. There were a lot of subtle things that I really enjoyed.

Hits
1) Showcasing Cassian's skills, much like Shawn Spencer on Psych, with an impressive eye for detail - knowing which hand everyone shoots with and so forth.
2) Lt. Gorm setting up the dialogue so the 2 guys beneath him think they convinced him to give everyone the night off when in fact he's doing it to get the base security down to a minimum.
3) Having them actually practice for the mission as well as burning the evidence of the plan.
4) Making Denise Gough's character sympathetic to us, even though she only succeeds if she unravels the plan that there is in fact an organized Rebellion. I'd also like to think that she took some stim-pills there to stay awake, straight out of Mara Jade's carry-all in the Heir to the Empire books.
5) Confirming that Luthen's assistant is in on the Rebellion. I'd like to make her WInter from the Legends books, but that's just my sentimentality talking.

Misses
1) Mon Mothma's two scenes felt edited down to where they had very little impact.
2) For all of the bickering with the strike team, they're pretty much exactly where they were to start the episode - they have various degrees of trust about Cassian and vice versa. They all act offended that he's a hired gun. Seems like that would be the norm for an operation like theirs when you need assistance..Just felt like the last episode could have been 15 minutes longer and woven all this stuff in and we could haven't gotten to the raid already.
3)Henry Thomas and his mom had what 3-4 scenes and the only thing that happened is that she made a off-screen phone call with no real resolution.
4) The end scene with Luthen - just didn't do much for me. Of course he'd be worried and anxious.

Theories/Questions
1) The teenager is not Mon Mothma's daughter, but her husband's from another marriage, it's a marriage of convenience, and he either knows or is figuring out what she's up to, and that's trouble.
2) Who is Uncle Harlo? Seems like the obvious answer is that he's Major Paratgaz (head of ISD/Qyburn) and that he's going to get assigned as a second assistant to Denise Gough's character.
3) How many of the 7 are going to die in this raid? Other than Cassian, we definitely need a death pool set up for next week. The kid with the manifesto seems most likely to bet William Barett Travissed - all gung ho and then killed in the first 90 seconds of the fight.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
redline248
AG
Yeah, the scene with her and her husband in the car seemed really pointless. Hey driver, take the highway!

However, I think the 1st scene was just showing how her work to start the rebellion is straining her personal relationships. She's all in for the cause, even though she regrets the damage it's doing to her, personally.
jeffk
AG
This episode did have way more family drama than I was expecting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't disagree more on the Mon Mothma scenes. I thought they managed to establish her home life in just two quick scenes and thought they did it very well. I already feel like I know Mon Mothma very well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And also I'm fairly sure they're setting up an important storyline with Henry Thomas's uncle going forward.

I get that this is a "setup" episode but I thought it was very well done.

Admittedly if they'd dropped it together with the next episode it might have played better for some.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Couldn't disagree more on the Mon Mothma scenes. I thought they managed to establish her home life in just two quick scenes and thought they did it very well. I already feel like I know Mon Mothma very well.
I thought they were just okay, but will pay off big later. I did laugh when the husband doesn't know the driver's name and just calls him "driver" like Karen from Will & Grace
twilly
AG
Not only all in to the Rebellion, she can't share with her family the stress her support is causing. There is obvious resentment from the husband and daughter because of this.
TCTTS
AG

2) For all of the bickering with the strike team, they're pretty much exactly where they were to start the episode - they have various degrees of trust about Cassian and vice versa. They all act offended that he's a hired gun. Seems like that would be the norm for an operation like theirs when you need assistance..Just felt like the last episode could have been 15 minutes longer and woven all this stuff in and we could haven't gotten to the raid already.

Great post, but the only thing I'd push back on is this. The previous episode was, "Who the hell is this guy, we don't trust him." But then this episode took it from, "Who the hell is this guy, we don't trust him" to a begrudging, if not somewhat empathetic respect/understanding by the very end. Made clear by Skeen sharing his story with Andor, as an apology of sorts. The key line was the one you quoted, which I loved so much... Everyone has their own rebellion. They each needed to understand this, and now they do, finally making them a team, where they weren't before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, don't know if anyone here is a software developer or tester but I got heavy Scrum team vibes from the heist team.

Luthen = Project Owner
Vel = Scrum master
Gorn = Business Analyst
Andor = QA
The rest = Dev team
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, don't know if anyone here is a software developer or tester but I got heavy Scrum team vibes from the heist team.

Luthen = Project Owner
Vel = Scrum master
Gorn = Business Analyst
Andor = QA
The rest = Dev team
Interesting thought. As a software engineer, I see the same.
#FJB
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

As they should be. Agreed. Lucas drew a lot of inspiration from WWII. The sound of the TIE Fighter engines is likely inspired by the Jericho trumpet installed on Nazi Stuka dive bombers.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The inspiration is Geraldine.

TCTTS
AG
Another fantastic interview with Gilory, this one from Marc Maron, that really dives deep into Gilory's super interesting life/upbringing/career. The last 20 minutes or so are about Andor, though, in which Gilory is over the moon for the show/opportunity, and you can really tell how proud of it he is...

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So maybe everyone else realizes this but me, but I learned today that not only is the girl playing Mon Mothma the same person who played her in Rogue One, but she has also been playing Mon Mothma every time she has appeared in the Star Wars universe since RotS.
TCTTS
AG
She also played Mothra in Godzilla, and both Marthas in Batman v Superman.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ha! She is also actually the voice actor for Moira in Overwatch.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thinking about starting this some time this week. Have not read any.of the thread. Is it worth it?
TCTTS
AG
Not only the best Star Wars series to date, IMO, but one of the best series of the year, in all of TV.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

Not only the best Star Wars series to date, IMO, but one of the best series of the year, in all of TV.

Agree
maca1028
TCTTS said:

Same. I had the day off today, thought I'd catch up on a few shows I'm behind on, Rings of Power, HotD, maybe SheHulk if I could suffer through it but all I got to was the latest episode of Andor. This show is so unbelievably good, cinematography, storyline, acting, all great. It's weird because I almost forget I'm watching a SW show at times.
AgfromHOU
AG
TCTTS said:

And I feel like it hasn't really even gotten going yet
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Like I said earlier in the thread, after having rewatched all three trailers recently, there are only like five or six shots left that we haven't seen used in an episode yet, and all but maybe one or two look to be used in the episode next week, the end of which will mark only the halfway point of the season. In other words, there's so much more left that we have absolutely no idea about. The heist next week, plus whatever's set to come in the second half of the season, has me so excited.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

As TC's long-time friend, I think I can speak for him in how I put Andor on his top 10 all-time list of Star Wars material.

1) Attack of the Clones
2) Ewoks: Caravan of Courage
3) The Book of Boba Fett
4) Obi-Wan Kenobi
5) Revenge of the Sith
6) LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation
T-7) Andor / The Rise of Skywalker
9) The Phantom Menace
10) Resistance
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.