***** The Box Office Thread *****

112,737 Views | 1299 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I've seen a couple predictions saying $105M-ish. Crazy either way.
Another Doug
AG
TCTTS said:

Just think how much money a Deadpool/Christ buddy movie would make.
Faustus
2-3 days to regenerate and some of the other powers seem a little tame for Wade Wilson to appreciate, although I can see turning water into wine being fun for DP as well as giving Jesus grief over being the son of God and asking if he could take out JC's mom (and whether she had ever been serious with anyone before).

Mmm, irreverent thought exercise. [/Homer]
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
atm0812
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't know a single thing about "It Ends With Us" or a book that I assume it's based on, but that type of movie having an opening weekend in the $50M range (where Deadpool would project next weekend ) would stun me.

I can't think of a similar film exceeding $40M other than 50 shades of gray. It's target audience just doesn't rush out opening weekend regularly enough.

It would be awesome if it's that successful, but I'm skeptical.
TCTTS
AG
I had never heard of the book either until the trailer dropped a few weeks ago, but apparently it's a really big deal. And as of now, the tracking for the movie is anywhere between $35M and $55M opening weekend. No clue if it's going to get anywhere near that higher end, but it'll be fun to keep tabs regardless. If anything, I'm curious to know if a wife has ever unseated her husband (in leading roles) at the box office before.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently that book is written by an Aggie.

Edit: Nevermind, it's A&M - Commerce.
Tanya 93
TCTTS said:

I had never heard of the book either until the trailer dropped a few weeks ago, but apparently it's a really big deal. And as of now, the tracking for the movie is anywhere between $35M and $55M opening weekend. No clue if it's going to get anywhere near that higher end, but it'll be fun to keep tabs regardless. If anything, I'm curious to know if a wife has ever unseated her husband (in leading roles) at the box office before.

The book is okay.
Some interesting things and some annoying ones.

Will wait until streaming to see if it sticks to the book.
Another Doug
AG
Since Blake Lively was also in Deadpool and Wolverine, she is now officially the biggest box office draw of 2024
TCTTS
AG
MasonStorm
Back to 2009 revenue numbers. Still 20% off pre covid.

2006-2008 $9 Bill in rev
2009-2019 - $10-$11.9 Bill in rev

Ticket cost inflation has helped even with less tickets sold
$9 Billion in 2009 adjusted for inflation would be $13 Billion in 2024 dollars

TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadpool & Wolverine won its third straight weekend with $54m, eking past wife Blake Lively's $50m opening of It Ends with US.
First time in history that 2 films have made $50m the same weekend in August.

D&W surpassed $1 billion at the global box office. Now at $494m domestic and $535m international.

D&W up to 22nd all-time domestic, will become the 22nd film to reach $500m, probably on Monday.

Does it have the legs to catch Inside Out 2? IO2 made $4.956 m on its 7th weekend to reach $636.456m, squeaking it past 2023's Barbie for 11th all-time. It need $16m more to catch Jurassic World for 10th.

Now at $1.5938bn worldwide, Inside Out 2 is 10th globally all-time, needing another $53m to reach Lion King at #9 and another $76m to reach Jurassic World at #8. That's probably the ceiling.

Borderlands cratered on opening weekend, making $8.8 million against its $110-$120m budget. I feel bad for Arianna Greenblatt. Everyone else knew what they were getting into.

Despicable Me 4 up to $330m domestic. Twisters doing great at $222m.

Bad Boys Ride or Die needs $248,000 to pass Kung Fu Panda for 7th this year.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
atm0812
AG
atm0812 said:

TCTTS said:

I don't know a single thing about "It Ends With Us" or a book that I assume it's based on, but that type of movie having an opening weekend in the $50M range (where Deadpool would project next weekend ) would stun me.

I can't think of a similar film exceeding $40M other than 50 shades of gray. It's target audience just doesn't rush out opening weekend regularly enough.

It would be awesome if it's that successful, but I'm skeptical.

Opening near $50 million, even if that stays 2nd place for the weekend is phenomenal. I am officially stunned.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Back from banned land I see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC: Here is me eating crow for saying Deadpool was not a shoe-in for $1B.

But, I also said Dune 2 wouldn't hit it, and it didn't, so it cancels out.
20ag07
Because this was asked earlier:
Quote:

As noted earlier this week, the last time a married couple had their films top the domestic box office was 34 years ago. In 1990, Bruce Willis' Die Hard 2 stayed atop the chart in its second weekend with $14.5 million, and Demi Moore's Ghost opened in second place with $12.2 million.
BassCowboy33
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Apparently that book is written by an Aggie.

Edit: Nevermind, it's A&M - Commerce.

Yeah, these books are GINORMOUS among the female crowd. The author's story is unique. She couldn't get a book deal and so published through Amazon. Books caught fire there.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't get banned, took some time off to watch my lawyers destroy 2 of the 3 people involved in my 2021 doxxing and the subsequent harassment of my family and attempt to ruin my business.
The Porkchop Express
AG
More D&W numbers

12th best third weekend ($54 million). IO2 made $57 m earlier this summer. Record is $90m by The Force Awakens.

11th best third Saturday ($21 million) IO2 made $22 million earlier this summer.

Tied for 6th fastest to $450 million (15 days) with Jurassic World and Black Panther

D&W vs. IO2 - day by day

After 17 days:
D&W: $494.3 m
IO2: $469.4m

That's the most insane # of all for D&W

TCTTS
AG
concac
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't get banned, took some time off to watch my lawyers destroy 2 of the 3 people involved in my 2021 doxxing and the subsequent harassment of my family and attempt to ruin my business.
Who are these three people?

You probably won't/can't reveal them but it doesn't hurt to ask.
20ag07
Why didn't his lawyers get the 3rd person?
concac
AG
20ag07 said:

Because the 3rd person is MFBarnes. Dude is invincible.
The Porkchop Express
AG
concac said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who are these three people?

You probably won't/can't reveal them but it doesn't hurt to ask.
I signed something promising I wouldn't say. And I wouldn't say anyways. Cuz doxxing sucks, and they learned the hard way, much as I did years ago, that there's always someone out there who can track your ass down on the Internet when you do something stupid.

The Porkchop Express
AG
20ag07 said:

Second person rolled on the third person during mediation. Third person got handed a nice friendly notice last week at their office.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadpool & Wolverine surpassing $1 billion makes this the first time since 2019 that one studio has had 2 movies accomplish that in the same year, and only the 7th time ever. Not surprisingly, Disney is the only studio to ever done this, starting with:

2013 - Frozen and Iron Man 3

2015 - The Force Awakens and Age of Ultron

2016 - Captain America: Civil War, Rogue One, Finding Dory, and Zootopia

2017 - The Last Jedi and Beauty and the Beast

2018 - Infinity War, Black Panther, The Incredibles 2

And the absolutely insane 2019, when Disney had SEVEN movies cross $1 billion globally. Take into account only 54 movies have ever made $1 billion. In 2019, Disney had - Endgame, The Lion King, Frozen II, Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4, The Rise of Skywalker, and Aladdin.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm a little shocked Aladdin is on that list because it sucked
TCTTS
AG

jokershady
AG
So I decided to have some fun with projecting the Deadpool & Wolverine domestic box office numbers from opening weekend to the end of 10 weeks to see how it would possibly play out. I decided to use 3 films first 10 weeks performances as comparisons and those 3 were:

Passion of the Christ....Top Gun Maverick....Inside Out 2.

All 3 of those films were the top #1 film for 3 weeks straight as was D&W. In addition, Passion was obviously R-rated and TG:M and IO2 while PG and PG-13 were big blockbusters as well.

Now...I was not looking at actual revenue....rather looking at the projected week dropoffs week over week. And with doing that there were several outliers I had to take into account.

1. Passion had a massive bump over Easter which does not follow the norms of week over week projections so those were thrown out.

2. TG:M had (can't remember exactly) some sort of resergence in its 5th or 6th week and got put in a bunch of imax theaters again...or something else but anyways it had an unusual rise later on that I removed as it was an outlier that would scew the numbers higher for D&W.

I do plan on adding in one more filim to see how it changes numbers, which would be Joker but just didn't have the time.

But I wanted to play it safe and actually had the % drop-offs for each week for D&W lower than or equal to the lowest drop off of the 3 films above.....and i also broke these down individually for weekend only and weekday only as those would have different drop off %'s and hopefully yield more accurate numbers....

and based on all that over a 10 week period domestically I expect D&W to hit a MINIMUM of $609,014,718 and a MAXIMUM of $631,755,272.

And if domestic vs international %'s stay the same that would equal an international range of a minimum of $662,414,755 and a maximum of $687,149,262.....

Which means a low end projection of $1.27 billion worldwide and a high end projection of $1.31 billion worldwide....

we'll see....but so far this is looking insanely epic....and remember i took less than the lowest weekly drop off of the 3 films for the HIGH END projections of this one....and went even below that for the LOW END projections....
The Porkchop Express
AG
It Ends With Us takes # 1 on Monday with $6.2 million. D&W at $5.8m gets it to $499.782m domestic.

Inside Out 2 reduces 400 theaters down to 2200 and falls to $644k for the day, but is just shy of $637m. needing $15 m more to catch Jurassic World for 10th all-time.

D&W will pass Beauty and the Beast for #21 all-time domestic as soon as tomorrow, and will move past Rise of Skywalker, Rogue One, and The Dark Knight in the next 7 days or so.

If it reaches $600m it will be 16th all-time. Currently, the only superhero movies above D&W domestically are:

1. Endgame $858m
2. Spiderman NWH $814m
3. Black Panther $700m
4. Infinity War $678m
5. The Avengers $612m
6. The Dark Knight $534m

That is some insane company to keep.

D&W also cracked the top 50 all-time global in the past few days and is currently #47 at $1.034 bn. It will move up quickly into the top 40 in the next week or so.

TCTTS
AG
Just wanted to say that the last two posts are some legit box office analysis, and this is such a great, informative thread overall.

TexAgs should start an entertainment coverage division.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The LIvely-Reynolds dream team back in action on Tuesday.
Lively's "It Ends with US" is a mega hit out of nowhere, $7.2 million on a Tuesday of the week where a ton of people went back to school and up to $63m in 5 days.

D&W: $7.15 million, up to $506.9m domestic in 19 days. It's the 8th-fastest film to $500m domestic.

Three other movies going over $1m for the day: Trap ($1.1 m), Despicable Me 4 ($1.4m) and Twisters ($2m).

Despicable Me 4 up to $332m, will pass the original Minions this week for 3rd in the franchise history. Above it are DM 2 ($368m) and Minions: Rise of Gru ($370m).

Borderlands fails to make $1m for the second ay in a row, but does make it to $10 million domestic and $17m global. Just another $103m to go to make that budget back.

D&W passes Beauty and the Beast for #21 all time, up to $506.9m. It will pass Rise of Skywalker and enter the top 20 on Thursday.
Globally it's up to $1.042 bn and 46th place, jumping past The Phantom Menace yesterday. Next up is POTC: On STranger Tides, which somehow made $804m international against $241m domestic.

Through 19 days, Inside Out 2 was at $489m. D&W is $17 million ahead of that pace. Absolutely staggering.
Seems likely Inside Out 2 will pass Jurassic World for #10 at some point, and then D&W will knock Inside Out 2 out of the top 10.

The last time 2 movies entered the top 10 domestically the same year was 2018 with Black Panther and Infinity War. When those 2 finished their runs, they were 3rd and 4th all time. Now they are 6th and 8th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.