***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,548 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're adding the "lamenting" part, when it was simply a statement of fact to your reply that there was "nothing really lost."

Overall, of course I want movies to be successful for the health of the industry/theaters. But at the same time, if Hollywood keeps regurgitating the same, mindless franchise crap over and over and over again, we're going to keep down this path of increasingly diminished returns, and there's going to be no *new* franchises to sustain the industry 10, 15, 20 years from now. So, in that sense, it's "exciting" that audiences FINALLY seem to be rejecting the bad stuff and embracing the good, when it used to not be that way. Hopefully leading Hollywood to take more chances on original blockbuster fare, thus leading to new eventual franchises.

I take solace in the fact that, even with all these bombs, box office-wise, 2023 is up 20% over 2022. Considering 2022 was down 30% from pre-pandemic levels/2019, we're only 10% down as of now, which is incredible news. So if we can keep this pace while *also* sending a message to Hollywood, everyone wins. It's the best of both worlds.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So just wanted to be pedantic then. K. But thanks for explaining how the box office works to me.

Putting that aside, it seems really odd to me that THIS would be a movie to "spike the ball" with though. There's hasn't been an Indy movie in 15 years. How many terrible superhero movies have we gotten since?

This is not nearly that bad of a movie. Does not deserve to be lumped into that pile.
TCTTS
AG
Again, it just so happens to be the latest movie in an unprecedented trend. Trend being the keyword. I'm not "spiking the ball" on this movie, specifically. I haven't even seen it yet. Starting with Quantumania in February, though, we've never seen so many franchise/superhero movies bomb like this month after month, with this one just so happening to be the one to really underline what's going on, considering its astronomical budget (in no world should an Indiana Jones movie cost $295M), Cannes rollout, etc.

Bad superhero movies are bombing (Quantumania, Flash).

Bad, long-in-the-tooth, "modern" franchises are bombing (Fast & Furious, at least domestically)

And now, "bad" (at least perception-wise) legacy nostalgia sequels are bombing (Indy).

That basically covers the three major franchise food groups, so now, this weekend, the "panic" button is officially being pushed, and hopefully studios are finally getting the message that they can't just keep churning this stuff out without the movies actually being good/truly worthy of audience's time and money (again, not calling out Indy specifically, but the trend it's a part of).
double aught
AG
You guys are being dorks.
TCTTS
AG
It's an internet message board. I'm afraid we're all dorks.
amercer
AG
Ok. Audiences are tired of big budget, CGI, repetitive crap. So when is The Feather Thief coming out?
TCTTS
AG
Kind of crazy that both Warner Bros' and Disney's two biggest failures of the year released two weeks apart...

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Dark times, yes, but also exciting times as well. I definitely think the movie industry will come out of this for the better.
rhutton125
AG
The Flash finished 8th this week. I can't recall a time where audiences have rejected a blockbuster film so hard - even one that supposedly is pretty decent.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

Dark times, yes, but also exciting times as well. I definitely think the movie industry will come out of this for the better.

I read the Vulture (I think?) article about streaming that was posted not long ago and found it very insightful. I don't remember it perfectly but I feel like it was entirely focused on streaming shows. IMO, while there are some great shows on TV they're very much outweighed by mediocre ones.

That said, in your opinion is there any correlation between what's happening in TV these days and the mediocre quality of movies? In other words are any of the contributing factors the same between the issues plaquing both industries.
BQ2001
AG
I enjoy reading threads like these, even though I'm nowhere close to being an entertainment insider. My perspective as a middle aged married guy with a kid.

For me to see a Disney movie in the theatre it's going to have to be something that is getting major hype OR something that the whole family wants to see (not Disney but we just saw Mario because we all wanted to see it). If it's not, I'm just going to wait and see it on Disney+. We just won't blow that $100 it takes to get 3 people to the theatre with all the snacks and stuff. If Disney+ wasn't a thing, I might be seeing Indy, GOTG3, etc at least once in the theatre. But if I'm on the fence, I'll just hold off and stream it later.

I think an uphill battle in 10 years is going to be how kids now get their movies. I asked my daughter if she wanted to go see Little Mermaid or Elemental (she had expressed interest) but she said she would wait until it came to the TV. It's just not really a thing to go out and do anymore it seems.

I am going out to see Oppenheimer in a few weeks, but only because my wife and kid are going out of town, so that's easy.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

I read the Vulture (I think?) article about streaming that was posted not long ago and found it very insightful. I don't remember it perfectly but I feel like it was entirely focused on streaming shows. IMO, while there are some great shows on TV they're very much outweighed by mediocre ones.

That said, in your opinion is there any correlation between what's happening in TV these days and the mediocre quality of movies? In other words are any of the contributing factors the same between the issues plaquing both industries.

I think it's all connected in that studios are simply trying to make as much content as they can, as cheaply as they can, at a rate never seen before, much of it depending on IP in ways that are far too lopsided, across both film and TV. And now we've finally reached an inflection point. The quality of franchise fare is dipping theatrically due to the studios' over dependence on it, and audiences are finally getting tired of it, at the exact same time the streaming bubble has popped, the WGA is on strike, etc. It's all one big web connected in multiple ways, much of it due to and exasperated by the pandemic as well, and 2023 is the year it's all coming to a head. And yes, it sucks, but like I said earlier, I think it will ultimately lead to a landscape that is much more stable, creative, original, etc. Studios won't rush franchise far as much, they'll figure out how to make money on streaming (by making fewer shows and depending more on ads), and this massive transition, across multiple fronts, will reach a new equilibrium. At least that's what I hope happens.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

TCTTS said:

I think it's all connected in that studios are simply trying to make as much content as they can, as cheaply as they can, at a rate never seen before, much of it depending on IP in ways that are far too lopsided, across both film and TV. And now we've finally reached an inflection point. The quality of franchise fare is dipping theatrically due to the studios' over dependence on it, and audiences are finally getting tired of it, at the exact same time the streaming bubble has popped, the WGA is on strike, etc. It's all one big web connected in multiple ways, much of it due to and exasperated by the pandemic as well, and 2023 is the year it's all coming to a head. And yes, it sucks, but like I said earlier, I think it will ultimately lead to a landscape that is much more stable, creative, original, etc. Studios won't rush franchise far as much, they'll figure out how to make money on streaming (by making fewer shows and depending more on ads), and this massive transition, across multiple fronts, will reach a new equilibrium. At least that's what I hope happens.

Thanks, and that all makes sense. Its stuff I've abstractly considered but you elaborated and explained what I've been trying to put my finger on. When I think about it Hollywood has been relying so heavily on established IP since Harry Potter (at least in my mind that was the start) and that's been two decades. No wonder I feel so unenthused to go see the vast majority of the movies they're putting out nowadays....it all just feels so redundant and unoriginal.
TCTTS
AG
LMCane
TCTTS said:

Kind of crazy that both Warner Bros' and Disney's two biggest failures of the year released two weeks apart...

GOOD!!

how about Hollywood comes up with an original idea for a movie?
rhutton125
AG
What was the first movie to kick off all this recent nostalgia bait? Was it the Force Awakens?

I'm genuinely surprised that Indy isn't doing well but I guess they already dusted off all these old characters in ~2004. So it's not even like it's that novel to see Old Indy and hear the music one more time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Tron Legacy
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Actually, ironically, you might credit Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
TCTTS
AG
I'd argue that Live Free or Die Hard (2007) was the first, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) made it a thing, and then yeah, Tron Legacy (2010) truly started the craze, as it literally bore the moniker "legacy sequel," that would then be used as the term for all these nostalgia plays where the hero/actor comes back after a long period of time away.
TCTTS
AG
You could maybe also throw Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) in there.
agdoc2001
AG
Rocky Balboa maybe?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. That was 2006, so right in the middle of some of these others.
agdoc2001
AG
That was 06? Wow, I'm old and have no concept of time any more.

I think you're on the money with T3 then
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rhutton125
AG
Some interesting picks and you're all probably right. Arnold was old for T3 but not washed up and largely out of work. I'm thinking of like, dusting off Linda Hamilton for T6: Dark Fate, or this feeling that everyone needs to be given a proper ride off into the sunset (even if they got that in their last appearance).

I guess there's your "legacy sequels" like T6 and Indy 5, and then there's your "they need a proper goodbye!" films like Logan. Somewhere between the two is Top Gun Maverick, Jurassic World: Dominion, etc. Bringing back anyone who is still alive for bonus nostalgia points.

Edit: Days of Future Past is another one. A "new meets old" crossover, where you thought you'd never see some of these characters again but now here they are. Force Awakens would do that again 1 year later, but DoFP in 2014 is still an important one.
Madmarttigan
AG
What's funny to me is the budgets for these movies keeps getting bigger but somehow the CGI is dropping in a lot of scenes. Some of it is really good and some of it is a step back in time. Very weird.
Formerly tv1113
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looks like Insidious is on track to beat out Indy in its second weekend. Both around the $26-28M range.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Make that $31M+ for Insidious. Bet it climbs even higher. Pulling away now.
Ornithopter
AG
Madmarttigan said:

What's funny to me is the budgets for these movies keeps getting bigger but somehow the CGI is dropping in a lot of scenes. Some of it is really good and some of it is a step back in time. Very weird.

From some articles on Disney/Marvel from a few months ago, the issue isn't the capability of the CGI but lots of last minute changes. The lack of time forces things to be accepted that are below the capabilities of the artists and computers
Faustus
I bet the Rock is thinking Black Adam's box office doesn't look so bad now, eh Warner?

Between The Flash, the latest Shazam, and Black Adam it's not been a great run for the studio. At least they didn't put out Indy 5 too.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$16M opening day for Dead Reckoning.

Fallout did $23M, but for a Tuesday, that's pretty damn good.
johncAG
AG
I saw something today that said somehow Elemental continues to chug along and may actually make a profit thanks to the International market and decent legs over a month since its release. I thought this one was dead in the water
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Probably won't end up being much of a hit. There's just way too much competition, and losing IMAX next weekend won't help.
rhutton125
AG
Damn I feared that may happen. As successful as these movies have been, they aren't necessarily huge. Adored by fans, critically acclaimed, but not record-setters. For whatever reason.
TCTTS
AG
Dead Reckoning will have legs, and will have all of August, and even September to play as well. It's also rumored to be going back to IMAX after Oppenheimer, even if in a limited IMAX capacity (meaning potentially sharing screens with Blue Beetle or whoever). It'll be just fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.