***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,599 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So let's look for what lies ahead for Inside Out 2 after is epic opening weekend.
It's the only kids movie out from now until July 3 when Despicable Me 4 comes out.

DM and the Minions are technically 2 different things. The last Minions movie came out in 2022 and made $370m. The last DM movie came out in 2017 and made $264m, however the trailer looks to be 75% minions, so we can assume it wins at least its opening weekend away from Inside Out 2.

Meanwhile for Inside Out - let's start domestically.

In 3 days, it's already 78th domestically at $155 m
Only 45 animated movies have made it to $200 m
Only 18 to $300 m
The original Inside Out made $356m in 2015, 15th all-time.
Only 9 have made it to $400 m - all of them DIsney/Pixar except SUper Mario
Only 2 have made it to $500 m - Incredibles 2 made $608 m in 2018, and Mario made $574m last ear.

All-time World Wide, it's already 107th at $295 m.
The original Inside Out made $850m, that's 9th all time.
The top 10 are the only ones to top $1 bn. Frozen 2 is the champ there ar $1.451 bn. It made $974 minterntiionally in 2019. Inside OUt 2 broke its opening day interational record his weekend.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
toucan82
but how do the Inside Out movies compare to Madame Web?
Farmer1906
AG
If this doesn't open up Disney's eyes, then IDK what will.
atm0812
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Cliff.Booth said:

Does that come through in the movie? No? Massive ticket sales? That's because no one cares. We care about what's on the screen.

There's also a character called Rileys dark secret that refuses to come out of a dark closet

They said what the dark secret is in a post credits scene. Riley burned a hole in a rug

The Porkchop Express
I was just busting cliffs balls. I'm the farthest thing from a conspiracy theorist on this board
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
atm0812
AG
Yeah, I re read your posts and see that I missed the joke.
jokershady
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Cliff.Booth said:

Does that come through in the movie? No? Massive ticket sales? That's because no one cares. We care about what's on the screen.

There's also a character called Rileys dark secret that refuses to come out of a dark closet

I saw this movie Sunday and I can safely say there is no agenda in this movie at all...

The "dark secret" you find out as an end credits scene has nothing to do with anything remotely controversial and the closet is not a closet at all....in the movie it's like a bank vault where all of Riley's secrets are kept....one being absolutely hilarious that fortunately makes a few appearances....

And I was also worried they were going to go that route in the movie with the other hockey players....but nope, just came across has a hockey team that's friendly with one another and good teammates....imagine that....

They even got me at first with the dyed hair and im thinking right at first, "oh great here we go...." But nope, not only is there a purpose for it that makes sense....it serves as a really good little plot point for later on in the movie....

BadMoonRisin
AG
I didnt look at the cast list before I went, but I thought initially when Anxiety appeared on the screen that it was voiced by Emma Stone, they sounded pretty similar until she started talking more often.

I did notice Bill Hader was not Fear and while I don't know the name of the actor, I knew it was the guy who played Buster Bluth.

I forgot Mindy Kaling was even in the first one.
The Porkchop Express
Inside OUt 2 with a monster $22.2 million on a non-holiday Monday. Up to $176.4 million in 4 days domestically. Already 1/3rd of the way to 1 billion worldwide at $333m. At this rate it will be into the top 20 animation films domestic by the end of next weekend.

Other stats:

19th largest sequel opening weekend domestically
3rd largest June weekend ever (behind Jurassic World and Incredibles 2)
Yesterday was the 23rd largest Monday ever domestically. If you take away holiday Mondays (MLK, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, and anything in those 2 weeks around Christmas) and you have the 6th-largest non-holiday Monday ever.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Ho-lee-chit

Inside Out 2 makes $29 million on Tuesday up $7 million from Monday, spring boarding it past $200 million in just 5 days to reach $205 million. It made $46 million globally to reach $379.9 million worldwide.

Now inside the top 50 of all-time domestic box office at #44.
Up to #2 at the box office for 2024, surpassing Godzilla/Kong and KFP4 yesterday. Dune is at $282 million. IO2 will pass that by the end of the week.

This is was the 8th largest domestic Tuesday ever, but let's take a closer look at those other entries.

#1 - Spider-Man: FFH, $39m, July 2, 2019 (4th of July holiday)
#2 - The Force Awakens, $37m, Dec 22, 2015 (Christmas vacation week)
#3 - The Amazing Spider-Man,$35m July 3, 2012 (4th of July holiday)
#4 - Endgame: $33m, April 30, 2019 - not a holiday Tuesday
#5 - Spider-Man: NWH, $31m, Dec 21, 2021 - Christmas Vacation week
#6 - The Lion King, $30m, July 23, 2019 - not a holiday Tuesday
#7 - The Force Awakens, $29.5m, Dec 29, 2015 (new year's eve week)

IO2 is #8 on that list. Only 2 other movies - #4 Endgame and #6 The Lion King are ahead of it for a non-holiday Tuesday.

I'm sure Despicable Me 4 will win a couple of weekends, and land above $300 m if it's any good, but IO2 is headed for the inner-inner-inner circle of all-time box office dominance right now.

Beyond DM4, the only other big time movie coming out that is going to make a crap ton o fmoney is Wolverine & Deadpool and that sure is hell isn'tgoingto pull from this audience.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Inside Out 2 is definitely hitting a billion worldwide at this point. And not only does Despicable Me 4 probably hit a billion as well, but I'm starting to think that Moana 2 and Mufasa: The Lion King can too. Considering the first Moana is probably more beloved and played on repeat more on Disney+ than Inside Out, while the live-action Lion King did $1.6B in 2019. Combined with Deadpool & Wolverine, that would be FIVE billion-dollar grossers in a year everyone thought was DOA. Throw in Joker: Folie a Deux MAYBE joining the club (the first one did just over a billion, but will this one have the same impact?), and we're suddenly at six. Another blockbuster or two catches on, like Twisters or Gladiator II or Wicked (the latter having the best shot), and suddenly we're at seven if not eight, which would be insane. Considering the record is NINE in 2019.
The Porkchop Express
$30 million even on Wednesday. Up to $235 million domestic.
It's opening weekend had it tabbed to be in a range between $190m-$221m at this point, so it's already well above that top end projection.

Up to 34th on the Animated domestic list and 161st on the domestic all-time list.

It's the 12th largest Wednesday domestically. Of the 11 that are ahead of it, only 3 were not the Opening Day of the film - those being The Force Awakens in 2015, Despicable Me 2 in 2013, and The Rise of Skywalker in 2019. Everything else was the first day of the run.

If IO2 chews up another $30m on Thursday and Friday each, it will be right around $300m domestic in 8 days and into the top 20 for all-time animated, and near the top 100 all-time domestic.

Its domestic numbers have now surged past its interational numbers, and it's up to $438 million international. That's already good for 70th in global animation.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
$19.2 million for Inside Out on Thursday.
In 7 days, it's made $254.7 million domestic and $481 million worldwide - almost halfway to $1 billion.
The Bikeriders, starring Venom, Elvis, and Jodie Comer coms out this weekend, but I don't see that taking a lot of $$ away from Inside Out. Ditto Russell Crowe's The Exoricsm. June 28 brings A Quiet Place Part 3, not sure what the expecations are there at the box office. So Inside Out 2 shoud be #1 until Depsicable Me 4 opens on July 3.

IO2 is into the top 30 at #28 for animated and 142nd all-time domestic.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
veryfuller
Staff
AG
A Quiet Place: Day One will likely knock off Inside Out 2 as #1 when it comes out. Even if it only drops 40% each weekend, that puts it at around $50 million that weekend. I think Day One will do somewhere between $40-$50 million, and 2 weekends of 40% would be magical, but unlikely. Inside Out 2 will probably have a $35 million 3rd weekend, if I were guessing. So it could be close, but I think Day One will be #1.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Tracking was $8M...

The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Tracking was $8M...

I spent the entire trailer of this movie before "The Fall Guy" convincing my wife that the guy who played Elvis, and never saw what the movie was about.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Cliff.Booth
Going tonight with my friends. Looking forward to this one.
The Porkchop Express
Inside Out drops $30.5 million on its 2nd Friday, reaching $285 m in its 8th day. The Friday total was the 15th highest non-opening Friday by a movie ever.

If you haven't visited The Numbers.com, it has a great tool that shows a movie's expected box office based on the first weekend. Very few films exceed the expected range, but IO2 is knocking it out of the park.

It's expected range based on opening weekend for the current date was $215m-$268m. So it's $70m above the low end and $17m above the best expectations.

It's Friday tally moved it past Dune 2 for the #1 movie of 2024, $285m-$282m. No other movie is above $200m for the year, although Godzilla/Kong 2 ($196m) and Kung Fu Panda 4 ($193) are close.

All-time Animated Domestic it's up to #21 and will be probably around 17th by the en of the weekend.

All-time Domestic everything, it's up to #118. It will jump into the top 100 on Saturday and probably sit around 85th by the end of the weekend.

Its 13th fastest to $250 million.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I stand corrected. Looks like Inside Out 2 only dropped 35%, with a $100 million weekend. That is phenomenal. It will likely be #1 against Day One now, unless that movie really exceeds expectations.
TCTTS
AG

The Porkchop Express
$38.7 million Saturday
Estimated $30.5 million today.
I would bet today's numbers are actually quite higher, that seemed to be a thing lately,, with Way of Water especially and Maverick if I recall.

Before I gush more on IO2, the sustainability of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and the Bad Boys franchise should be noted as well. 16 days in and it's at $141 m. An $18.775 m third weekend. Martin Lawrence has done almost nothing but Bad Boys since 2011, hasn't had a TV show since 2014, and hasn't released a standup album since 2016 The guy is 59 years old. Smith is the most digustingly hansome and young looking 55 year old in the world. Everything about that lack of work for Lawrence and Smith's thing at the Oscars screams that this movie should have failed, and instead ifs doing very well.

Inside Out 2 is now at $581 m global after 10 days. It destroyed both of my predictions of where it would be at the end of the weekend on the domestic charts. It's less than $ 1 million behind its original movie for 15th all-time animated domestic, and will be easily into the top 10 by the end of next week. Only 9 animated movies have made $400 million, and not surprisingly, all of them except Super Marios and Shrek 2 are Disney/Pixar.

Looking back to June 2018, Inside Out 2 is slightly ahead of where the Incredibles 2 was after 10 days ($349m on June 24). The Incredibles ran all summer and didn't fall under $1m per day until August 6, which was its 53rd day out. Disney did some of its mumbo jumbo at the end to get it past $600 m and it crested at $608 m. It didn't completel leave the theaters until December 13th of that year.
Not how that will look for IO2 with streaming so much more a thing.

Inside Out 2 is 66th all-time domestic. It will reach the top 50 on Monday or Tuesday. $400 m gets you to 46th $450 m gets you to 27th and $500 m gets you to 21st.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Inside Out 2 hits the rather remarkable total of $369 m domestic and $369 international on the same day.
It made $13.3million domestic on Monday Jumped to #13 all-time domestic, surpassing Inside Out, Despicalbme Me 2, and The Secret Life of Pets in one day.. Should be up to 10th by this time tomorrow.

All time domestic it's up to 58th, edging past The Batman

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.