***** The Box Office Thread *****

79,493 Views | 1101 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by Faustus
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weekend tracking for GxK was upped to $66M-$74M with a lot more walk-up business than expected.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Upped to $75M-80M.
The Porkchop Express
Kong vs. Godzilla 2 made $37 million between the Thursday previews and Friday crowds, surpassing Dune 2 by $5 million for the top opening night of 2024.

By my logic, that means K v G is now in the driver's seat for Best Picture.
The Porkchop Express
Early weekend chart is out:

Kong/Godzilla 2: $80 million
Ghostbusters: $15.7 million
Dune 2: $13 million
Kung Fu Panda: $10.2 million

Have to wait for the final official #s, but Kong/Zilla is $2.5 million behind Dune for largest opening weekend of 2024, and would be the 10th largest March opening weekend ever.

The 2014 Godzilla reboot made $93 million its opening weekend that May. Skull Island made $61 million, and the first Kong V. Godzilla made $37 million in 2021 (thanks, COVID)

Kung Fu Panda has reached $151.6 million, surpassing its 2016 predecessor and is only $14 million behind the second entry.

Dune 2 is up to $254.3 million domestic, good for 142nd all-time.

jokershady
AG
Seems like the year has started off good how is the YTD box office total right now compared to 2023?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm seeing 11M for Dune. Which is still slightly above Oppenheimer's 10.7 fifth weekend.
scoop12
AG
What sources are you using for the estimates?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Deadline

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office-godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-1235871440/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is actually pretty impressive. I wonder how many times this has happened.

TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

Seems like the year has started off good how is the YTD box office total right now compared to 2023?

2024 is definitely beating expectations so far, but it's still down compared to 2023, and will almost assuredly remain so by the end of the year. Which was expected, seeing as the strikes, unfortunately, were always going to handicap this year. Still, as of this weekend, 2024 is down only 6.4% compared to this time last year, while some estimates at the beginning of the year projected it to be down 10% or more. That said, early April of last year is when The Super Mario Bros. Movie hit, and went on to make a billion+. There's nothing that will come remotely close to that next month, so I expect that 6.4% to start inching closer to 10% over the next month and into the summer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And there's nothing in the summer than can possibly match Barbenheimer.
TCTTS
AG
If all three somehow catch fire, the July trifecta of Despicable Me 4 (July 3) + Twisters (July 19) + Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26) could MAYBE come close. Minions: The Rise of Gru did $940M worldwide in 2022, which is right around Oppenheimer's total. And if both are great, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Twisters + Deadpool & Wolverine could then do over/around $1.44B combined, which was Barbie's worldwide total. Yes, the chances are slim, but considering this August has a very real shot at being bigger than last August, the summer numbers at least have the potential to be closer than I thought.
TCTTS
AG
In fact, honestly, with The Garfield Movie, If, and Inside Out 2 also having a ton of potential among kids/families, if Alien: Romulus, Furiosa, A Quiet Place: Day One, etc can catch on as well, I'm getting more and more confident in putting, say, these 20 summer 2024 movies up against summer 2023's top 20...

- Alien: Romulus
- Bad Boys: Ride or Die
- The Crow
- The Bikeriders
- Deadpool & Wolverine
- Despicable Me 4
- The Garfield Movie
- The Fall Guy
- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
- Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1
- Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 2
- If
- Inside Out 2
- Kingdom of the Planet of Apes
- Kraven the Hunter
- Longlegs
- A Quiet Place: Day One
- The Strangers: Chapter 1
- Twisters
- Young Woman and the Sea

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Beat the tracking, which was $22M...

TCTTS
AG
Faustus
Dune 2 within a few million of cresting $700 million worldwide.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt15239678/

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare opened a shade under $9 million domestically against a budget of $60 million, which doesn't bode well. I generally root for Ritchie movies to do well since I suspect I fall into his target audience.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt5177120/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ministry_of_Ungentlemanly_Warfare

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.