***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,543 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Knock at the Cabin won the weekend, making $14.2 million. M Night Shamalamadingdong strikes again.

80 for Brady, finished second with $12.5 million. Audiences really responded to the twist ending. Marketed as a comedy, the film takes a dark turn when the four elderly female characters take Tom Brady hostage and live stream their torture and eventual execution of him during halftime of the Super Bowl.

Avatar 2 finished third and is up to $636 million for its domestic run, within $17 million of Jurassic World for 9th.

Puss in Boots continues to put paws in the seats, now up to $151.3 million, surpassing Uncharted and Elvis to reach #11 for 2022.
TyHolden
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Knock at the Cabin won the weekend, making $14.2 million. M Night Shamalamadingdong strikes again.

80 for Brady, finished second with $12.5 million. Audiences really responded to the twist ending. Marketed as a comedy, the film takes a dark turn when the four elderly female characters take Tom Brady hostage and live stream their torture and eventual execution of him during halftime of the Super Bowl.

Avatar 2 finished third and is up to $636 million for its domestic run, within $17 million of Jurassic World for 9th.

Puss in Boots continues to put paws in the seats, now up to $151.3 million, surpassing Uncharted and Elvis to reach #11 for 2022.
WTF - is this a spoilers thread???
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Way of Water is just $20M behind Titanic now for #3 all-time. Honestly didn't think it would surpass Titanic this early but it seems inevitable now. Probably by next weekend.
Counterpoint
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I want to support TCTTS's creative vision, I really do...but that twist seems a little too much. You can't kill off the GOAT! Not until the sequel, at least.
The Porkchop Express
Avatar 2 ended its 52-day run of making at least $1 million per day on Monday, finishing third with $765,000 something. It was back up to $965,000 on Tuesday, a distant third behind TCTTS's creative triumph 80 for Brady, which made $2.sometihng million. Avatar 2 should still get to JUrassic World's level at #9 in the long run, it's about $14 million behind it.

80 for Brady actually leads M Night SHamalamalamadingdong's movie about something weird happening by about $200,000 through five days.
The Porkchop Express
Titanic returned to the movies and took the #1 spot on Friday, making $2.7 million and reminding me of the time I gave the girl I was dating back then the soundtrack of the movie for Valentine's Day, and then immediately regretted it as she listened to it nonstop for the remainder of our relationship. This pushed its lifetime box office to $662 million. I"m not sure how long it's going to be out for, but it's projected for a $15 million weekend which will have it knocking on the door of passing up Infinity War ($678 million) for 7th all time. It also means that it will be nearly impossible for Avatar 2 to catch up to it. Avatar 2 is 10th at $641 million, tracking Jurassic World at $652 million. A lot of people are enjoying seeing Titanic with the original ending, where Jack grabs Rose while she's sleeping, pulls her off the door, and climbs over her drowned corpse to warmth and survival.

In other news, TC has clearly struck gold with his production of 80 for Brady, which is a GD sustainable hit, pumping out $1.85 million on Friday to reach $20.819 million in its first week, staying slightly ahead of Knock at the Cabin, which is at $19.6 million in the same time frame. Avatar 2 finished third with $1.691 million, and my main man Puss n Boots also cracked 7 digits with $1.3 million to reach $154 million. Does he have enough lives to get to $168 million? Because if so, he's going to push Black Adam out of the top 10 for 2022, which I have to admit, is both sad and hilarious.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Cameron defeats himself. And on the very same weekend it re-releases.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it still has a very decent shot of passing Titanic ultimately. Should be on track for ~$700M.
TCTTS
AG
Tom, the ladies, and I all very grateful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Went to see the Titanic 3D re-release. Fairly sizable crowd, a lot of sniffling in the moments you'd expect, and surprisingly a lot reactions and gasps indicating that some people hadn't seen it before, or at least not recently. (There were teens in the crowd so I'm sure some hadn't.)

A group of twenty-something girls behind me were a mess as soon as the band started playing Nearer My God to Thee.

Still a great movie and I'll never apologize for enjoying it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Went to see the Titanic 3D re-release. Fairly sizable crowd, a lot of sniffling in the moments you'd expect, and surprisingly a lot reactions and gasps indicating that some people hadn't seen it before, or at least not recently. (There were teens in the crowd so I'm sure some hadn't.)

A group of twenty-something girls behind me were a mess as soon as the band started playing Nearer My God to Thee.

Still a great movie and I'll never apologize for enjoying it.
How many #s did you get?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Well, I'm embarassed. Friday's #1 movie was actually my long-awaited acting debut in Magic Mike's Last Dance, which scored $4.14 million.

On Saturday, Avatar 2 took back the #1 spot with a salty $3.817 million, followed by Channing Tatum's pelvis at $3.12 million, a resurgent Puss in Boots at $2.95 million, 80 for Brady at $2.85 million, Knock at the Cabin at $2.8 million, and TItanic at $2.658 million.

Avatar 2 is the projected #1 again on Sunday with $1.376 million, getting it just shy of $647 million and within 6 million of jUrassic World.

80 for Brady finishes 2nd on Sunday at $1.325 million, and is now more than $1 million ahead of Knock at the Cabin for the year. Titanic way under-performed compared to the $15 million projection it had for the weekend, making $995,000, but should tear **** up on Monday and Tuesday for Valetine's Day. So far my wife isn't aware it's come back out, let's keep it that way.

Magic Mike went limp with $940,000 on Sunday, somewhat surprising because you figure Super Bowl Sunday would be a field day for it between the women and the gays (ITS A JOKE)

Puss in Boots 2 now my most eagerly watched things as it is within $10 million of Black Adam for the top 10 of 2022.

Ant-Man releases Friday.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One day later...

Faustus
I'm not sure which final flick of a trilogy I'd like to see less, Soderbergh's Magic Mike's Last Dance or Linklater's Before Midnight.

I guess it would depend on the person I had to watch it with.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Before Midnight is a great movie.
Faustus
All three are highly lauded, I like Delpy and Hawke, and I enjoyed Before Sunrise.

But for whatever reason I've treated the latter two like a classic in a lit. class that no one can make me watch. Also I'm of an age with Hawke and the reminder of time passing isn't a selling point.
The Porkchop Express
In the true spirit of Valentine's Day, Magic Mike's Last Dance topped the Tuesday charts with $1.9 million. This heart-warming tale of Channing Tatum - still waiting for that Gambit movie, dummy! - having sex for money with Salma Hayek, beat out Avatar 2 $1.8 million, Titanic $1.7 million, and 80 for Brady $1.66 million.

Avatar 2 will surpass Jurassic World in the next few days for #9 all time. Titantic is up to $668 million, within $10 million of Infinity War for 7th.

80 for Brady is about to pass Missing for third in 2023 and probably is going to get past Plane for second for the short run as well. Puss n Boots has closed the gap on Black Adam for #10 for 2022 releases down to a bit over $8 million through Tuesday.

Ant-Man debuts later tonight and is expected to make $95-$100 million over the weekend and up to $110 million through President's Day.

The first Ant-Man opened in July 2015 to $57.2 million and made $180 million domestic and $519 million world-wide.

The sequel came out in July 2018 with $75 million and made $216 million domestic at $622 million world-wide.

A February release that is expected to make way more money is thus a pretty interesting gamble.

After this, it's a 3-month wait until GOTG Vol 3 on May 5, followed by the Marvels on July 28.

After that it's a really long wait in Marvel-scape until May 3, 2024 for Captain American: New World Order. That's 10 months with no movies. But then it ramps back up with Thunderbolts on July 26, Blade on September 6, and Deadpool 3 on November 8, and Fantastic 4 2 years from today.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Avatar 2 hit $650 million domestic on Wednesday. It finished third behind Magic Mike's Last Dance and 80 for Brady.

80 for Brady surpassed Missing for #3 on this year's list of movies at $27.995 million. Knock at the Cabin will also surpass it this weekend.

Avatar 2 is the 10th movie in US history to reach $650 million, and the third this decade, following No Way Home ($814 million) and Maverick ($718 million).

Titanic has regained command of third on the Worldwide chart at $2.217 bn to $2.214 bn over Avatar 2, but since Titanic probably won't be out for very much longer, that will certainly change positions again at some point (that's what she said).

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
$17.5 million Thursday night for Ant Man. #36 all-time. $500,000 ahead of Avatar 2, confirming that Ant-Man 3 will crack $2 billion worldwide easily.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If Ant-Man hits $1 billion, much less 2, I will personally fly you out to Orlando so you can finally ride Avatar: Flight of Passage.
TyHolden
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If Ant-Man hits $1 billion, much less 2, I will personally fly you out to Orlando so you can finally ride Avatar: Flight of Passage.
favorite ride in Orlando
The Porkchop Express
$46 million opening day for Ant-Man according to The Numbers. Made about the same as Thor: Ragnarok in 11/17, and about $4 million short of Spider Man: Homecoming in 7/17. Ant-Man pulled $52.6 million internationally for an worldwide opening day of $98.6 million.

Original Ant-Man opened with $22.6 million in July 2015.
The sequel opened to $33.7 million in July 2018.
So dollar for dollar, no inflation, the sequel went 49% higher than the original on Day 1, and #3 went 36% higher than #2.

I'm awaiting confirmation from my Hollwyood insiders if this is the biggest opening ever by a former Jimmy Kimmel staff writer.

Magic Mike's Waning Popularity finished second at $1.66 million. Avatar 2 was back to third at $1.358 million, and has officially surpassed Jurassic World for 9th all-time domestic by about $9,000.

Puss in Boots enjoyed another $1.2 milion to reach $162 million.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Faustus
Boots with the Fur has had a surprisingly good run.
The Porkchop Express
Through Sunday, Puss n Boots 2 is less than $2 million behind Black Adam and will past it this week to officially finish in the top 10 of movies released in 2022. 25 years of development, the Rock's non-stop media tour, and it finishes behind PUss n BOots and Sonic the Hedgehog.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Ant-Man 3 on pace for $104 million weekend, Disney had pegged it for $95-$110 million, so good for Paul Rudd. 62nd-highest opening weekend of all time.
Third-highest February opening ever behind Black Panther and Deadpool.

Global #s aren't in yet.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
double aught
AG
The Puss n Boots updates are maybe my favorite part of this thread.
The Porkchop Express
$121 million international for ant man, $225 million global opening weekend. Forgot its presidents day tomorrow so domestic should have another healthy day as well.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Counterpoint
AG
double aught said:

The Puss n Boots updates are maybe my favorite part of this thread.

You've upset Tom Brady.
The Porkchop Express
Ant-Man made $14.5 million on Monday to close a 4-day, $120 million President's Weekend. For in-year releases, that already makes it the #1 movie of 2023, racing past M3GAN ($83.8 million). It cracked the Top 50 of biggest first Mondays, slotting in at #47, just ahead of Revenge of the Sith. The biggest first Monday ever was $40.1 million for Black Panther on President's Day 2018. Domestically, it has already surpassed such Marvel luiminaries as Daredevil and Ghost Rider.

Ant-Man banked $239.3 million worldwide over the four-day weekend to reach $359.3 million globally.

My main man Puss in Boots took #2 on Monday with $1.74 million, and by God, it's happening people!

The tale of the tape at the end of Monday

#10 Black Adam $168,152,111
#11 Puss in Boots 2 $167,866,100.

Puss needs $286,012 to pass Dwayne. If it doesn't happen Tuesday, it's a dead cinch for Wednesday.

Avatar finished third and is up to $658.6 million domestic, about $13.5 million behind Titanic, which has been out 10 days now and made $13 million and change in its re-re-re-re-re-release.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
A quick, fun little episode about 2023 box office. So many potential billion dollar earners this year...

The Porkchop Express

We are all witnesses to greatness.
On Tuesday, which happened to be my birthday, Puss n Boots 2 made $582,570 at the box office to officially pass Black Adam as the #10 movie of 2022.

You don't have to be, Puss, because I've been tracking it for two months. Here's the new counter:

Puss n Boots 2: $168,464,485 in 63 days of release
Black Adam: $168,054,237 in 84 days of release

Black Adam made $392 million worldwide, Puss is up to $425 million and counting.
Black Adam's budget was $210 million. Puss got made for $90 million.

Here's the Rock leaving DC headquarters after hearing the news.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Cocaine Bear made $2 million in previews Thursday night.

I have to believe there are some savvy drive-in movie theater owners out there offering up a double feature of Cocaine Bear and Pooh: Blood and Honey this weekend.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
All hail the Bear! With its Thursday previews + Friday box office, Cocaine Bear beat Ant-Man on Friday at the box office, $8.65 million to $8.3 million.

An absolutely MASSIVE drop off for Ant-Man, 82%. The worst second-weekend drop off in Marvel history is 67.8% with Thor: Blood and Honey second at 67.7%. Total train wreck for Marvel right now.

Avatar 2 pushed past $1.1 million on its 71st day of release and is up to $661.78 million. It's just $12 million behind Titanic for 8th on the domestic list. Titanic remains out for its 25th anniversary, but it only made $176,000 on Friday.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.