***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,540 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oragator said:

The studio only gets about 40 percent of the worldwide gross.
On Barbie they spent 150 million on marketing in addition to the production budget, so close to 300 million all in. 300 divided by .4 is 750.
It was a big big gamble.

doesn't seem right….if you were to apply that 40% rule to every film that comes out there'd be MASSIVE losses for a majority of these movies
oragator
I was using roughly 50/50 domestic, and 30 percent overseas. Because these movies are splitting evenly foreign/domestic, I used 40. Some big movies can negotiate a higher number domestically, and it also goes down the longer the movie is out, so a long legs movie might make less than a front end hit, and if a movie makes a lot of its money in China it's even lower, because the studio might only get a quarter of the BO from there. Even if you use more generous numbers, the break even was insanely high. At 60 percent domestic it was still nearly 670 million for Barbie.
But yeah, all that is why Cameron was saying they had to get to that crazy number (was it 1.2 billion?) just to break even on WoW.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In light of its extraordinary performance, IMAX is extending OPPENHEIMER's run an additional week through August 16/17, with plans to bring-back IMAX showtimes of OPPENHEIMER in the late summer/fall, as availability permits.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AggieLumberjack
AG
I loved Oppenheimer but is it's success directly related to Barbie? It seems like the Barbieheimer thing kind of became an event. I don't see Oppenheimer doing this well if it was released on some random week by itself.
SJEAg
AG
I think Oppenheimer was successful on it's own accord. Not like it's getting much spillover from Barbie sellouts, it's just killing it in IMAX. Although, I am sure all the H2H publicity helped both movies.

Audiences are clearly just wanting unique content and both movies are providing this.
Iowaggie
AG
The publicity has certainly helped both movies. I just asked the family last night to name movies at the theater. Barbie, Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom were the only ones named until someone guessed that Across the Spiderverse (still playing). Mission Impossible, Indiana Jones, Transformers, and TMNT are all franchises playing that weren't guessed, and neither were Elementals nor Haunted Mansion.

I strongly believe Oppenheimer and Barbie openings were beneficial to them. And I am also aware of just how much going to the movies is not part of our routine anymore.
double aught
AG
Impressive and surprising that neither movie backed off its release date. I doubt they could've known that both movies would benefit by holding firm.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
oragator
oragator
oragator
TCTTS
AG
Another Doug
AG
But FOTR was a sequel...

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

… the 2023 box office rally rages on, as domestic box office soars past $6 billion, +22% over the same January-August period a year ago.

In other words, we're only 8% down from 2019/the pre-pandemic era, which is somewhat of a miracle, and a level so many pundits swore we'd never return to.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
-38% for Oppenheimer's third weekend. Holding like crazy.
oragator
I think to date Oppenheimer has made 117 million just from IMAX.
oragator
2 more imax weeks.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppenheimer-imax-70mm-extended-tickets-1235689899/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Eso si, Que es
Haunted Mansion is bombing. Estimates are $500M to break even and it is sitting at $77M globally

https://collider.com/haunted-mansion-box-office-budget/
TCTTS
AG
For anyone curious about the intricacies of all the ways a movie can make money, both theatrically and at home, I highly recommend today's 37-minute episode of The Town. I learned quite a bit...

jokershady
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Haunted Mansion is bombing. Estimates are $500M to break even and it is sitting at $77M globally

https://collider.com/haunted-mansion-box-office-budget/
so weird that this movie got made…..the Eddie Murphy version was terrible but at least had a big name to bring audiences in…..

This one just flew under the radar with really no massive box office Star to pull in audiences on top of a movie franchise with one really bad film already…..

The fact that it had that massive of a budget is so confusing…..
double aught
AG
I have zero recollection of the Eddie Murphy one.
jokershady
AG
double aught said:

I have zero recollection of the Eddie Murphy one.
here's the RT ratings on it….of which I knew were bad and knew this was not well received but didn't realize it was THAT bad…..makes it even more crazy this remake was done….

Critics 13%
Audience 31%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/haunted_mansion
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Barbie has reached $594 million domestic including a whopping $7.75 million estimated for today on its 38th day of release. It blew past Super Mario Bros for #1 on the year ($574 million) last week, and even with school starting, will hit $600 million this week.

It's 14th all-time and will surely have a big boom on Labor Day weekend. It seems a mortal lock to reach the top 10 all-time - Jurassic World is currently there at $652 million.

Since the "death of movies" in 2020, the top 30 domestic films have a new #3, #5, #7, #14, #15 and #26.

Into the Spider-Verse reached #50 all-time this weekend, my favorite movie of the year so far. It's a shade under $381 million.

double aught
AG
FYI, today is "National Cinema Day". Most theaters have $4 tickets today.
Gangnam Style
AG
https://deadline.com/2023/08/taylor-swift-eras-tour-movie-ticket-presales-box-office-1235533199/

$100 million + opening weekend? I can see this movie do huge numbers.
Another Doug
AG
Gangnam Style said:

https://deadline.com/2023/08/taylor-swift-eras-tour-movie-ticket-presales-box-office-1235533199/

$100 million + opening weekend? I can see this movie do huge numbers.
yeah, it will print money. My kid said they are even doing higher Swift style prices, 19.89 for adults, 13.13 for kids. It will be a bargain for all the fans that couldn't afford the $1500 for the real show.
TCTTS
AG
Tickets went on sale this morning, and one of my sisters wanted to take one of our nieces for her birthday, in our North Texas hometown of 100K, and tickets were already nearly sold out for opening weekend. With all these movies moving to 2024 due to the strikes, Taylor Swift is single-handedly "saving" theatrical. I love it.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Tickets went on sale this morning, and one of my sisters wanted to take one of our nieces for her birthday, in our North Texas hometown of 100K, and tickets were already nearly sold out for opening weekend. With all these movies moving to 2024 due to the strikes, Taylor Swift is single-handedly "saving" theatrical. I love it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.