***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,555 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dune 2 upped to $46M, once again a virtual tie with Oppenheimer's second weekend.

Doesn't look like it'll get anywhere near $1B globally, but that's still some great numbers. Maybe $800M if it continues to overperform.
The Porkchop Express
Luis burying the lead.

KUNG FU PANDA - $58 million weekend.

First one came out in 2008 and made $60 million first weekend in June on its way to $215 million.
Second one came out in 2011 and made $47 million first weekend, then sagged to $165 million.
Third one came out in 2016 and made $41 million in January and $143 million total.

Fourth one just exploded; perhaps like the 2nd Minions movie with young Gru last year for the kids who worshipped KFP growing up and now are young adults. 5th biggest-March animated opening ever. Zootopia #1 at $5 million.
Good weekend for JB considering I'm sure he'll also return for SUper Mario Bros 2.

TCTTS
AG
So awesome. March is off to a great start, with more big-name titles to come.
Farmer1906
AG
Called it.
TCTTS
AG
maroon barchetta
Farmer1906 said:

Dune 2 better watch out...

My kids want to go see this. A beautiful 1 hr and 34 m runtime.

Heard on the drive in that this did $58 million opening weekend.

Is that better than Madame Web?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Wonka: $57 million through 11 days, but I gotta believe they thought it was going to blow up

It did. Apparently this has made $628M. (And it's still out in some countries)

Dune 2 isn't even gonna surpass that by much. Pretty crazy.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

Odd, forced reference to comic book movies at the end.
Faustus
double aught said:

TCTTS said:

BMs are just upset they have a sh**tier acronym.
maroon barchetta
Faustus said:

double aught said:

TCTTS said:

BMs are just upset they have a sh**tier acronym.

Word choices here are odd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We got a race for #1 this weekend. Dune and Kung Fu Panda both estimated for 27-30M.

That would be a -35% hold for Dune, which is extremely impressive.
The Porkchop Express
The Panda wins Round 1 - $8.81 m to $8.15 m on Friday night. Dune 2 should approach or reach $200 m this weekend. KFP 4 will probably hit $100m.

Madame Web raked in $115,000 in 2,015 theaters on Friday, a cool $57 per theater.

Adjusted for inflation it's up to 3,425th domestica ll-time. can it catch Pet Sematary II at #3,420?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dune coming up on 4x Madame Webs worldwide and 5x domestic.
The Porkchop Express
Despite a huge Sunday by Dune 2, Kung Fu Panda 4 wins the weekend $30m-$29.1m. Both films had 12+ m Saturday.
Dune breaks $200m ($205) in 17 days. KFP is up over $100 m in 10 days. Bob Marley is up to $93.3 m in 33 days.

Dune will be up into the top 200 all-time domestic by the end of this week. It's presently #224. It's made $417m worldwide.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's amazing how closely Dune 2 is following Oppenheimer on the weekends. That's three nearly identical weekend grosses in a row.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Dune-Part-Two-(2024)/Oppenheimer-(2023)/Logan-(2017)#tab=weekend_comparison

Also starting to follow Oppenheimer's trend closer than Logan, although it's still a step behind on weekdays.

From the look of it, it probably settles somewhere in the $250-275M range domestic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently despite two box office hits though, it's still a down weekend from last year, down -3% from the same weekend when Shazam 2 was in theaters. That's hard to believe.

I guess no other movies are pulling their weight right now.

Theaters desperately need more new movies right now. And from the look of it, Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is not going to help much...
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Didn't Tom Holland do this with Endgame and Far From Home in 2019? (May and November)

Granted, maybe they're not counting it since it's two of the same franchise. I guess it's somewhat less impressive, but still.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't know if it fires the 8 month window but Pratt is probably close a few times.

Lego Movie
GotG
Jurassic World

GotG 2
Infinity War
Jurassic World 2

Endgame
Onward

Super Mario
GotG 3
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Didn't Tom Holland do this with Endgame and Far From Home in 2019? (May and November)

Granted, maybe they're not counting it since it's two of the same franchise. I guess it's somewhat less impressive, but still.

The key word, I think, is "lead." Holland technically wasn't the lead of Infinity War or Endgame...

Quote:

With "Wonka" and "Dune 2," he has the lead the top two domestic grossing films over the last eight months.
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't know if it fires the 8 month window but Pratt is probably close a few times.

Lego Movie
GotG
Jurassic World

GotG 2
Infinity War
Jurassic World 2

Endgame
Onward

Super Mario
GotG 3

Curious why these two wouldn't count, as they were released within three months of each other. Maybe because Pratt only voiced Mario / it wasn't live action?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I feel like they might be cherry picking. Pratt had to have done it.

But yeah I can see the "lead" thing being an explanation.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Farmer1906 said:

Lego Movie
GotG
Jurassic World

GotG 2
Infinity War
Jurassic World 2

Endgame
Onward

Super Mario
GotG 3

Curious why these two wouldn't count, as they were released within three months of each other. Maybe because Pratt only voiced Mario / it wasn't live action?

I don't quite think you get an 8 mont window between Avatar the year before and the summer block busters release. Maybe that's it. Regardless, seems like a very specific set of parameters that maybe don't matter. Lots of guys have multiple big movies in a short timeframe.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, I feel like they might be cherry picking. Pratt had to have done it.

But yeah I can see the "lead" thing being an explanation.
Definitely cherry picking to force some "original" content. And they say they are discounting the ensemble Marvel movies but including Dune which is one of the most robust ensemble casts of all time.
TCTTS
AG
Except Chalamet is the unequivocal lead of Dune. Just because it has a big cast doesn't mean there's not one character the entire thing hinges on. Whereas the Avengers movies don't really have a lead and are true team/ensemble movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is a random one, but I'm fairly sure Jack Champion would qualify also. He had Way of Water in Dec 2022, and Scream 6 in March 2023.

Supporting roles, but both very sizable roles.
TXAG 05
AG
Except he wasn't the lead and I don't think Scream made that much money.
Another Doug
AG
if we are just counting rando supporting roles, SLJ would have done it like 100 times. Timmy C. is the undisputed face of both of those movies. And the fact that Wonka got 628 M in box office should get him an honorary Oscar.
The Porkchop Express
It's the arbitrary 8 months thing that bothers most of us, I think. Is Chalamet's last 8 months more impressive than Jim Carrey's 1994 (Ace Ventura / The Mask / Dumb and Dumber) or Michael Douglas' 1987 (Wall Street and Fatal Attraction)?

What about DiCaprio? He was in Shutter Island and Inception in 2010 and Wolf of Wall Street and The Great Gatsby in 2013.
The Porkchop Express
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire debuted with $4.7 million in Thursday night previews
Experts are forecasting a $35m-$45m weekend.

Its predecessor, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, made $44 m on opening weekend, $129m domestic on its run, and $203 m worldwide. Frozen Empire actually had a slightly higher Thursday night ($4.7 m to $4.5 m).

Afterlife debuted on Thanksgiving weekend and only needed 17 days to get to $100 m back in 2021, but really languished after the first week of December, largely because Spider-Man No Way Home came out a couple of weeks later and dominated everything.

Afterlife finished 9th domestically in 2021. With Dune 2 mostly for adults and KF4 mostly for kids, if this Ghostbusters is decent, feels like it could make some nice headway in the family with older kids crowd.

By comparison, the original Ghostbusters remains one of the greatest ROI time, turning a $30 m budget into $242 m domestic and almost $300 m international 40 years ago.

When it bowed out of the theaters in 1984, it was the # 6 movie domestically of all time, trailing only
Star Wars
ET
Return of the Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
Jaws

And if you feel like there's nothing but crap movies released today, you're right because look at this partial list of 1984 releases:

March - Children of the Corn, Police Academy
May - This is Spinal Tap, Sixteen Candles, The Natural, Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom
June - Star Trek III, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, Cannonball Run II, Bachelor Party
July - The Last Starfighter, The Neverending Story, Revenge of the Nerds, Purple Rain
August - Red Dawn
September - Amadeus, All of Me
October - The Terminator
November - A Nightmare on Elm Street, Beverly Hills Cop
December - 2010, Starman, Dune
The Porkchop Express
$16 million combined Thur/Friday for Ghostbusters, pretty good!

Dune 2 up to $220 dom, $518 WW. Up to 183rd all-time domestic and 17th of the 2020s.

Madame Web has reached 3,408th place for all-time domestic adjusted, just $5,00 behind the Chuck Norris masterpiece Sidekicks filmed in Houston, which led to me meeting Chuck Norris by accident the following year.
The Porkchop Express
Ghosbusters: Frozen Empire clocked $45.2 million for the weekend, $1 million more than Afterlife did, which is really impressive considering that was a Thanksgiving release and this is March, albeit Spring Break for many people. It made $16 m on Th/Fri, $16.875 m on Saturday, and an estimated $12.325 m on Sunday.

Dune 2 came out just slightly ahead of KFP 4 on the weekend. Dune is up to $220 m in 22 days, KFP 4 is at $120 million in 15 days. The Panda has decent shot of finishing 2nd in that series. The 2nd one made $165 m and the third made $165m.

Madame Web dropped to 172 theaters this week and made $25,000. It will not reach $100 m worldwide, it's at $97.698 m now. On the all-time domestic list, it's now at #2,124. snugly between Underdog and Pokemon 2000.
BCSWguru
Ghostbusters not as good as the last one. Not sure how they keep advancing on this one.

Also saw Immaculate. Sweeney couldn't even save that one.
Faustus
BCSWguru said:

Ghostbusters not as good as the last one. Not sure how they keep advancing on this one.

Also saw Immaculate. Sweeney couldn't even save that one.

Along those lines chuckle at the RT blurb working in divine, conception, execution, and giving Sweeney credit for the save.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/immaculate_2024

Quote:

Immaculate in conception if not always in execution, this religiously themed horror outing is saved by a divine performance from Sydney Sweeney.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"The devil works hard -- end of sentence. Late Night with the Devil had a fittingly satanic opening weekend, not only coming in 6th place at the box office, but also bringing in a reported $666,666 on Sunday of all days, according to Variety."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.