***** The Box Office Thread *****

80,327 Views | 1101 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Faustus
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
geez. Seems harsh considering the audience reception doesn't seem that bad on it.
TCTTS
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Could it partially be due to Ezra Miller? He never screamed Flash to me. Doesn't seem like a strong lead in general.
agdoc2001
AG
I'd like to say moviegoers have looked at his rap sheet and decided that he's a psychotic, trash human being and are unwilling to support him financially, but I doubt that's it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I just remember him from the Perks of Being A Wallflower movie. If anyone else has seen that movie (which was a popular one), then they will definitely "typecast" him a certain way that is decidedly un-Flash.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
As I've been saying for a while, but am even more confident in now, I think Barbie is going to be massive. Like, a top three box office hit of the summer. And IMO, Oppenheimer is going to do better than most are anticipating as well. So many dads and olds are going to show up for it, in addition to the usual Nolan crowd. Then Mission: Impossible will of course kill too, likely coming in as either the first or second highest earner of the summer. In other words, July will save the summer, and hopefully hold that overall 20% box office improvement over 2022, which is more than many were expecting.
amercer
AG
Seems clear at this point that people are tired of both superhero movies and the Pixar formula. Since that has been about 90% of Hollywood output for the last decade it may be a bumpy ride while the studios course correct. With video games being a much bigger industry than movies at this point I also predict a lot of video game adaptations (most which will flop) as they try to cash in there.
TCTTS
AG
Seems clear at this point people are simply tired of not great movies. I don't think the genre really matters. Make good superhero movies and good Pixar movies and they'll pay for them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think that's oversimplying things. GOTG3 was pretty damn good and I think it underperformed what most people were expecting.
The Collective
AG
I get the nuance - but is Barbie not an IP heavyweight?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think that's oversimplying things. GOTG3 was pretty damn good and I think it underperformed what most people were expecting.

It's made $831M worldwide so far and is the second highest grossing movie of the year. People showed up. Could it have made more? Sure. But it's pretty damn close to GOTG2's $863M worldwide total, and I would say the difference is just about proportional to their respective RT scores, with GOTG2 at 85% and GOTG3 at 81%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think if you'd asked most pundits a year ago, they'd have said it was a guaranteed $1B movie. (Similarly for Wakanda Forever.)

And grossed less than 2 domestically in spite of the upwards trajectory of the series.

I think the overall fatigue in the superhero genre was a big factor here, much more so than quality.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, audience scores:
GOTG 2: 87%, 7.6 IMDb
GOTG 3: 94%, 8.2 IMDb

Audiences at large preferred the third.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know what you mean by "upwards trajectory" of the series when it clearly wasn't reviewed quite as well as the second movie. I also think Marvel fatigue in general played a part, because the Marvel movies have mostly sucked as of late. Had the movies been good, the momentum/interest would have been there. My overall point is simply that people are clearly showing up in droves for the good blockbusters and aren't showing up for the bad ones, genre be damned. There just happen to be way more bad superhero movies as of late, with Marvel and DC both in creative funks (save for a few exceptions).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I meant the box office.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, audience scores:
GOTG 2: 87%, 7.6 IMDb
GOTG 3: 94%, 8.2 IMDb

Audiences at large preferred the third.

I'm sorry, we've had this discussion before, but IMBd audience rankings are about the least trustworthy thing around. I don't know why you always give them so much credence, when I don't know a single other person, either in or out of the business, who pays any attention to those.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, but what else would you base your criteria on for measuring how audiences felt about a movie? Both are higher for 3. Most folks that reviewed it on here also liked 3 more than 2.

Just because the critics score was a few points higher for 2 doesn't mean general audiences didn't like it more. Just showing that there was no significant drop in quality for that specific movie, that would affect the drop in box office.

Hence why I think the Marvel/superhero fatigue is mainly to blame.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have no idea how Cinemascores are done or how legitimate they are, but all three Guardians movies scored an A.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
However, I do think we're on the same page in terms of bad movies being the reason for the superhero fatigue. I think two solid years of mediocre superhero movies has finally taken its toll on the rest of the genre. And now even the good ones have a much lower ceiling.

The Marvels is in serious trouble. If Porkchop ever comes back, he's definitely losing that bet...
TCTTS
AG
I definitely got the impression on this board that 3 wasn't quite liked as much as 2 or 1. I thought there were some rave reviews for sure, but also a lot of reactions that felt it was darker than the last two, wasn't as funny, wasn't as appropriate for kids, the ending was forced, etc. Personally, 1 and 2 are in rarified air for me, while 3 was definitely a step below.

Either way, we're splitting hairs at this point. People still showed up for it, they showed up for No Way Home, for The Batman, etc. They're showing up for the good ones and aren't showing up for the bad ones. They're simply being more selective in the genre now. What they've lost interest in is tolerating the bad ones, at a time when Hollywood is making more bad superhero movies than ever (or, rather, the bad to good ratio is higher than it's ever been, since 2008). Should Hollywood get its act together with Fantastic Four, the X-Men reboot, Superman: Legacy, etc, the audience will be there, while The Batman Part II will likely be a massive hit, as will the next Spider-Man, and so on.
TCTTS
AG
Agree with you there for sure.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think Barbie is hitting mainstream stride right now with their marketing based on what I am seeing. If the movie delivers it'll be a box office hit. Lack of awareness or marketing won't be an issue for it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Indy has flopped?
TCTTS
AG
It's poised to, yeah. An insane $295M budget against a likely $65M-ish opening weekend is a pretty big disaster for Disney.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kind of a dumb tweet. The top 10 is comprised entirely of comic book movies, sequels, and big IP. (Mario)

I guess his point might be that there's more midsize hits than during COVID (Scream 6, M3gan), but still doesn't square with that tweet.
TCTTS
AG
I think it's two parts...

1) By and large, the franchise movies that people actually want to see (John Wick, Across the Spider-Verse, GOTG3, etc) are excelling, while the franchise movies that feel more motivated by studio/shareholder interest (Flash, Transformers, Indiana Jones, etc) are failing. Which hasn't always been the case. It's as if audiences are becoming more savvy and less tolerant of inorganic cash grabs.

2) Speaking more broadly, factoring in the original/indie space (with things like Asteroid City), in general, the good movies are overperforming and the bad movies are underperforming, which excites people like myself because it gives us a glimmer of hope that studios will start either greenlighting more original fare, or take the necessary time to get the development right when it comes to franchise fare.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's pretty close to Fallout numbers. That went on to make nearly $800M global. There's still hope.

On the bright side, I think this was pretty much meant to end the franchise anyway, so nothing really lost if it underperforms.
TCTTS
AG
Nothing really lost except hundreds of millions of dollars for a company that is currently laying off thousands of people. Fallout had legs because it was a great movie that had massive amounts of enthusiasm behind it. While Indy will likely fall off a cliff next weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Obviously meant for us as viewers, but you knew that.
TCTTS
AG
We've been talking about the industry/studios and what this series of bombs means for the kinds of movies they may or may not continue to make. So, no, I didn't "know that" when you suddenly turned this into a "viewers" only convo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm aware that studios lose money. Did you honestly think I didn't know this?

Also, it's confusing to know what exactly your stance on this is. You've been posting tweets which are "celebrating" that these movies are flopping, and now lamenting that it means less money for studios.

So did you want this to flop, or didn't you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.