***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,542 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another Doug said:

You need to make sure you keep updating this in the future for each time Madam Web is overtaken by a movie.
I'm only going to live so long.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dune 2 predictions for opening weekend?

I said $88M a few weeks ago on the Dune thread. Sticking with that.
toucan82
$88,000,001

Booyah
TCTTS
AG
Still saying just over $100M.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$12M in Thursday previews, vs $5.1M for Part 1.

Unsure if that includes fan previews from last week, but either way, great start.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's the breakdown from Deadline:

Legendary/Warner Bros Dune Part Two has now grown to $12M+ per Warners. That's from 4,500 locations, and Imax alone delivered $4.5M of that number or 38%. Of that preview figure, $2M came from an Imax fan screening on Feb. 25.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Even if it falls just short of $88M, I was not far off.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
In all my excitement, I made a rookie mistake and failed to consider the fact that this movie is damn near three hours long.

Which = fewer screenings, which, of course = less money.

Still, this thing will have legs for weeks if not months, and I'm betting next weekend's hold will be particularly impressive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It'll have Oppenheimer type legs for sure. Maybe not QUITE to that level due to the Barbenheimer effect, but some of that ground may be made up by the insane word of mouth.

Went to my second showing today, it was more packed than on opening night, and got even more applause at the end.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome.
toucan82
The Porkchop Express said:

Another Doug said:

You need to make sure you keep updating this in the future for each time Madam Web is overtaken by a movie.
I'm only going to live so long.

This is the kind of stuff we need AI for
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$81.5M it is. Crazy how close that is to Oppenheimer. ($82.4M)

Once the official numbers come in, it might even be a virtual tie. Gonna be real interesting to see how their trajectories compare in the weeks to come.
Farmer1906
AG
That ended with ~330 M domestic and ~958 M worldwide. Which is, obviously, good (#62 All-Time), but extra remarkable that it was going head-to-head with Barbie. The highest-grossing movie never to be #1.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The one big advantage for Dune is it has no other major blockbuster to compete with until Godzilla x Kong on March 29. (Unless there's something before that?)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot about Ghostbusters on March 22.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

$81.5M it is. Crazy how close that is to Oppenheimer. ($82.4M)

Once the official numbers come in, it might even be a virtual tie. Gonna be real interesting to see how their trajectories compare in the weeks to come.

There it is. Upped to $82.5M.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Same thing in LA. So glad I bought a ticket for a second viewing in advance (for Tuesday), because there are no good seats left for all the good IMAX theaters/showtimes through the weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Same for Lincoln Square in Manhattan all week.
The Porkchop Express
Dune's run should be fairly short now that footage of king Kong riding on godzillas back has been released for k v g 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

$7.3M, as compared to $12.6M for Oppenheimer. Although since that was a summer release, not a very fair comparison.

But, that's still quite a bit lower than I would've expected. Still think this is gonna have huge legs in the weekends though.
The Porkchop Express
I don't know a single person who says, "Hey, it's Monday night, let's go see a 3 hour movie."
Spring Break is this week for some and next week for others, but since it's not really a movie for kids and all kids have the week off, not sure that will translate into much extra coin.
And there's not really a kids movie to dump the littles at while mom and dad (well just dad),go see Dune.
Farmer1906
AG
Dune 2 better watch out...

My kids want to go see this. A beautiful 1 hr and 34 m runtime.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's a chart comparing it against Oppenheimer and Logan. So far, trending a bit below both, but it's following Logan's weekdays almost exactly.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Dune-Part-Two-(2024)/Oppenheimer-(2023)/Logan-(2017)#tab=day_by_day_comparison
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's a chart comparing it against Oppenheimer and Logan. So far, trending a bit below both, but it's following Logan's weekdays almost exactly.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Dune-Part-Two-(2024)/Oppenheimer-(2023)/Logan-(2017)#tab=day_by_day_comparison
How close have you come to accidentally posting here as your true self - Luis?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Starting to outpace Logan now.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A fantastic -47% hold for Dune in its second weekend with $44M, despite a strong King Fu Panda opening. Well ahead of Logan ($38M), much closer to Oppenheimer. ($46M)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And for those wondering, Dune 2 is closing in on 3 Madame Webs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.