***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,544 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Early projections for Super Mario Bros have it opening at $71-100M+ domestically. Expect that to only go up from here.
Counterpoint
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Early projections for Super Mario Bros have it opening at $71-100M+ domestically. Expect that to only go up from here.

The question is, will it find all the secret coins in the clouds to earn extra box office life, or will it stay mostly on the ground.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Ant-Man 3 finally limped its way up to $200 million on Tuesday. It made $106 million in its first 4 days at the box and has made "just" $94 million in the 27 days since. While deemed a miserable failure by most, it is not right about midway between Ant-Man ($180m) and Ant-Man 2 ($216m) and has made more money (not adjusted for inflation) than Eternals, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Black Widow, and Into the Spider-Verse.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Shazam: Fury of the Gods debut with a whimper, not a bang on Friday, making $3.4 million in Thursday night previews and $11.7 million on Friday.

This compares to 2019, when the first film made $9.2 million in previews and $20.3 million on its first day That movie piled up $56.8 million on its first weekend enroute to $140 million total. So yeah, suddenly Black Adam not looking so bad over at DC.

I hate it because I love Zach Levi, and wish he would just play Flynn Rider from Tangled all the time. He deserves better than this awkward transitional movie in DC's whatever this is phase.

Scream VI remained a big baller at $5.175 million for second place, now up to $63.7m. Creed 3 made $4.355 million and is up to $116 m. Kylo Ren, Dinosaur Lord, scratched out $1.575 million but is only at $18.2 million. and Quantumania is down to 5th and sitting at $202.9 million lifetime.

Avatar 2, now down to 1,190 theaters still churned out $508,000 and is just $2.12 million behind Infinity War for 7th all-time. That will be its domestic apex, as Black Panther is up at $700 million. So it will finish 7th domestically, 3rd internationally, and 3rd globally. Decent.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
sburg2007
I thought Shazam would do much better. I'd like to see it but, March madness and spring break killer this weekend for me. I loved the first one.
The Porkchop Express
Shazam 2 won the weekend with $30 million, but that was almost a 100% dip from the 56 million its predecessor made in 2019.

Scream VI was a very impressive 2nd with 17.5 million and Creed III brought in 15.3 million. Scream VI is rapidly approaching M3GAN for #1 among horror movies in 2023. Scream VI is up to $76 million, M3GAN at $95 million.

Avatar 2 now just $700,000 behind Infinity War for #7 at the domestic box office.

John Wick 4 debuts on March 24th. The original in 2014 made $43m domestic and $86m worldwide. #2 made $92m domestic and $174m worldwide. The third hit $171m domestic and $328m worldwide.

Dungeons & Dragons comes out March 31st. Leading man Chris Pine has had 8 movies make $100 million or more in his career, although two of those were voice-over jobs.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie has been moved up two days to release on April 5. It will enjoy the 4-day weekend to the max, with kids out of school on the 7th and the 10th in most places. It will be hoping to surpass the righteous $20.8 million that the first incarnation made back in 1993 - shoutout to Dennis Hopper, who probably thought he was having an LSD flashback when he agreed to play King Koopa.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TXAG 05
AG
Scream 6 is already out? I feel like #5 didn't come out that long ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From everything I've seen/heard, the writers already had most of the story for 6 planned out when they wrote 5, so when it was a hit, they quickly turned around a script and they were shooting quickly thereafter for a one year turnaround on 6.

I doubt it'll be quite that quick for 7, but it does sound like they had a rough idea for a trilogy, so they likely know where they're going. Would probably expect 7 by late fall of next year, if I had to guess.
The Porkchop Express
TXAG 05 said:

Scream 6 is already out? I feel like #5 didn't come out that long ago.
If it wasn't for TexAgs, I would have no idea there were more than 2 of them.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$70M for John Wick 4 incoming.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-john-wick-4-opening-weekend-projection-record-1235561254/

What a hell of a month for franchises I love. (Scream and John Wick)

Sadly, there's also Shazam...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How's this for a trend?

Opening weekends:

John Wick - $14 M
John Wick: Chapter 2 - $30.4 M
John Wick: Chapter 3 - $56.8 M
John Wick: Chapter 4 - $70 M
TCTTS
AG
Month of March so far…

- One $70M+ opening weekend (Wick)
- Two $40M+ opening weekends (Creed and Scream)
- One $30M+ opening weekend (Shazam)

I have no idea how Dungeons & Dragons is tracking, but that's also technically March, and will hopefully do good numbers as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forgot about Creed. Even with the disappointing Shazam BO, the month has been a smashing success for theaters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, how crazy is it that Matrix Resurrections opened to $10M. JW4 literally doing 7X the box office of a Matrix sequel on opening weekend is insane.

Man, what a horrid flop. One for the record books really.
TCTTS
AG
And now there's the off chance, however remote, of at least one billion-dollar earner hitting theaters each month, from April to July…

- APRIL - Super Mario Bros.
- MAY - Fast X, GOTG3, Little Mermaid
- JUNE - Indiana Jones
- JULY - Barbie, M:I7

Realistically, maybe only three of those actually hit that mark, but the others could be close and will do well regardless.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, how crazy is it that Matrix Resurrections opened to $10M. JW4 literally doing 7X the box office of a Matrix sequel on opening weekend is insane.

Man, what a horrid flop. One for the record books really.
I had pretty much forgotten about it. It was really bad. Took me three or four tries to get through it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Way of Water just passed Infinity War for #7 all-time.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$8.9M Thursday night for John Wick 4, solidly over-performing the original $8M estimate and setting a new franchise record. (Previously $5.9M for JW3.)

It also beats out Halloween (2018), which did $7.7M on its opening night and finished with a $76M opening weekend.

Original projections were for $70M, but given the strong opening night and the insanely high audience scores / word-of-mouth, do not be surprised if this actually finishes closer to Halloween numbers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$30M Friday. JW2 did $30.4M in its opening weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Scream VI is just a few hundred thousand away from passing Scream 5's domestic total as of Thursday. ($81.6M)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
The Numbers lists John Wick at $29.4 million for Friday. Scream 2 finishes second as Shazam 2 sinks to $2.35 millon on its second Friday and is at just $38.9 million through 8 days.

Ant-Man 3 made only $609,000 on Friday, down 48% from last week, and it was sliced in half to 1,950 theaters as well. It's still the #1 movie of 2023, but i"m guessing John Wick is going to top it. I don't know anything about that franchise, but I've seen the escalation of its box office for each successive movie.

Avatar 2 dropped under 1,000 theaters starting Friday, It's at $679 million for its domestic career and Friday was its 99th day of release. It will finish 7th all-time domestic. 2022 officially cranked out the #5 and #7 all-time domestic movies.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How have you never seen John Wick?

They're all on Peacock for free. You need to fix this.
The Porkchop Express
It's not really my kind of movie. And I heard he has a beagle who gets killed in the movie. I couldn't watch that.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How have you never seen John Wick?

They're all on Peacock for free. You need to fix this.

This is great to know! I need to see them still.
Counterpoint
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

And I heard he has a beagle who gets killed in the movie. I couldn't watch that.

Hey, spoiler alert! Just kidding, I'm a beagle owner who loves the John Wick movies. If dog deaths make you angry, I think you'd be pretty happy with this series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly. This.
The Porkchop Express
It wouldn't make me angry, probably start crying. I can't handle that kinda stuff in a movie.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Scream VI is currently tracking to edge out Shazam 2 for the #2 spot this weekend. Scream's third weekend is gonna be bigger than Shazam's second.

This is an all time flip for comic book movies. Even Morbius did gangbusters in comparison.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.