***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,533 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Avatar Way of Water made $32M in its fifth weekend, for comparison.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cocaine Bear made more its opening day than Charlie's Angels did its opening weekend. (Banks' last directorial effort.)
The Porkchop Express
Ant-Man 3 made $14.6 million on Saturday and $9.3 million on Sunday to complete a shiit $32.2 million weekend, winning the box office but dropping 70% weekend over weekend, worse than even Black Widow during Covid + 1 time.

Ant-Man is at $167 million domestic and $363 million world wide. Calling it a failure is pretty relative, considering the original only made $180 million total and the sequel made $216 million domestic, but there's no doubt it's flopped relative to what was expected and the stakes of having Kang in it.

Once you get to the fall of 2021, Marvel had been on a decent run at the box office:

Shang Chi: $224 million (Fall 2021)
No Way Home: $804 million (Christmas 2021)
Dr. Strange 2 $411 million (May 2022)
Thor 4 $343 million (July 2022)
Wakanda Forever $453 million (November 2022)

So even throwing out the high and the low, the last 3 movies have still made an average of $402 million domestic, which is far and away past what a normal movie makes.

Thus, it looks like they've just really Effed up by giving the official introduction of the Big Bad in a movie series that most people expect to be light, funny, and charming. I'm assuming Kang isn't the bad guy in GOTG3 or in The Marvels, although I suppose the latter is possible. The New Captain America movie in 2024 probably isn't about him either.

So I assume Kang is really going to have to shine in the Fantastic Four movie in Feb. 2025. and then the Kang Dynasty is a few months later? I guess Kang is going to be in some of these Untitled Projects along the way?

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Faustus
I imagine there's not much cross-over between the Cocaine Bear and Jesus Revolution crowd.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cocaine-bear-gets-high-23-173850448.html

Quote:

. . .
1. "Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania," $32.2 million
2. "Cocaine Bear," $23.1 million.
3. "Jesus Revolution," $15.5 million.
. . .
The Porkchop Express
Imagine the numbers for a movie called Cocaine Jesus!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
toucan82
You shouldn't give away ideas that good for free
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Random record that nobody really keeps track of, but Way of Water has overtaken the first Avatar as the #1 movie of all time in Europe.

Pretty impressive honestly.
The Porkchop Express
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Ant-Man just barely won Monday over Cocaine Bear, earning $1.721 million to CB's $1.652 milion and holding off Revolucion del Jesus which made $1.386 million.

Ant-Man is going to limp its way to $200 million between now and when GOTG3 comes out in May, but it's going to be one ugly number compared to Marvel's usual automat $300m +

Way of the Water has reached $665.8 million domestic closing within $8 million of Titanic, which continues to be in theaters, although fewer than 1,000 now, for its 25th anniversary. It's at $673.9 million.

My boy Puss in Boots 2 up to $173.6 million. Assuming they keep it out for Spring Break in March, could it push past Sonic 2 at $190.8 million?

Your hilarious Top 10 for 2023 (in-year releases only) at the end of the first 2 months is:

1. Antman 3: $168.8m
2. M3GAN $94.6m
3. 80 for Brady $36.7m
4. Knock at the Cabin $34.0m
5. Plane $32.8m
6. Missing $31.5m
7. Cocaine Bear $24.9m
8. Magic Mike 3: $23.3m
9. Jesus Revolution $17.3m
10. Pathaan $17.1m
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Creed III comes out tonight and is expected to make $36-$40 million over the weekend. The first one opened to $29 million and made $109 million. The second opened to $35 million and finished at $115 million.

With a new player drawing eyes (and the same bad guy actor), there's little chance Ant-Man 3 makes it to $200 million before next week. It's at $171 million through Tuesday.

I went poking through Marvel's past to see what's the slowest to $200 million among the MCU sequels. Ant-Man has been out 12 days through Tuesday.

Thor 2 took 44 days to reach $200 million. Going the inflation route comparing 2013 $ to 2023 $, that would be about $156m. It got to that sum at Day 15.

Ant-Man 2 took 36 days in 2018 to reach $200 m. With inflation adjusted, it was 19 days.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Cocaine Bear outdrew Antman 3 $1.552 million to $1.53 million yesterday

Avatar 2 just missed landing on the total mark of the beast, landing at $666,680,980.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Oof...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MCU:
The Porkchop Express
$5.4 million for Creed III on Thursday night previews. Audiences wowed when Creed and Rocky reunite to defeat Kang and MODOK in a steel catch tag-team event at the end of the movie.

Cocaine Bear beats Ant-Man again
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Faustus
The Porkchop Express said:

$5.4 million for Creed III on Thursday night previews. Audiences wowed when Creed and Rocky reunite to defeat Kang and MODOK in a steel catch tag-team event at the end of the movie.

Cocaine Bear beats Ant-Man again

Yet another blow for Ant-Man dealt by the dope bruin. Though to be fair Ant-Man's BO has been strung out over a couple of weeks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Like Ant-Man himself, projections just keep shrinking.

TCTTS
AG
- Highest grossing opening weekend for the Creed franchise.
- Highest grossing opening weekend for the entire Rocky franchise.
- Highest grossing opening weekend for Amazon Studios ever.
- Beat opening weekend projections by $15-20M.

TCTTS
AG
Incredible start to an insanely packed month.
The Porkchop Express
Creed 3 destroyed the revisionist records, grossing $58.68 million this weekend, with a $15 million Sunday and a $21 million Saturday, proving that Killmonger is better than Kang.

Ant- Man 3 returned to #2 on Saturday and Sunday, making $5.86 million Saturday and $3.492million on Sunday. It's up $186 million, and here's what's going to happen next. It's already made more than the first Ant-Man ($180 million), so they're going to leave in the theaters to get past $200 million, then fudge the numbers once it gets close to $216 m (box office of Ant-Man 2) and then all the commercials to stream it and get Disney + will say THE BIGGEST ANT-MAN adventure yet.

Avatar 2 cracked $670 million Sunday and is about $3.7 million behind Titanic. Cocaine Bear is up to $41.3 million and has surpassed both 80 for Brady and Knock at the Cabin for money earned in 2023.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
I hope so, but I don't buy it yet. TG and Avatar aren't the same thing as Scream and John Wick. Movies have done well but it's way more rare for them to have legs if they aren't animated or superhero, it feels like.

Especially in a stacked month. There was one summer where everything would open #1, then get dethroned immediately by another big release. None of those films got sequels, IIRC. Just not enough to go around, I guess.
The Porkchop Express
Pretty sure Kevin Feige's not shaking in his boots about Scream 7
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
It doesn't have to be one or the other. It's just cool to see stuff besides Marvel movies consistently having big opening weekends again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Huh? Who said he should be?
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Huh? Who said he should be?
I was just echoing what rhutton said. i wasn't trying to offend Scream.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just confused where that sentiment is coming from. This is about rising tide lifting all boats, showing that the movie/theater business is strong outside of superhero fare. Especially with the MCU not being what it once was.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just confused where that sentiment is coming from. This is about rising tide lifting all boats, showing that the movie/theater business is strong outside of superhero fare. Especially with the MCU not being what it once was.
Sorry, I've got some people on ignore and clearly the message was lost in translation.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
If you still have me on ignore for harping on Jon Favreau for a couple days, that's some petty, third-grade-level sh*t.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Stacked month.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To put in perspective, Scream 4 made $38M domestic. This is going to outgross it in a weekend.

Rare territory for a franchise, where the BO actually grows after the fifth one. Basically it's this and F&F. (MCU notwithstanding.)
Faustus
Brian Earl Spilner said:

To put in perspective, Scream 4 made $38M domestic. This is going to outgross it in a weekend.

Rare territory for a franchise, where the BO actually grows after the fifth one. Basically it's this and F&F. (MCU notwithstanding.)

Scream, Fast and Furious, and Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
James Cameron beats himself yet again. Way of Water passes Titanic at the domestic box office at $674M, with Infinity War next up at $678M.

Not likely to climb any higher from there. ($700M for Black Panther at #6.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.