***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,558 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good thread. Ace reporting.
The Porkchop Express
Pardon my absence, been at Disney World.

Black Panther 2 destroyed the box office for a second straight week, reaching just shy of $288 million in its first 10 days. It will probably be #3 on the year by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, trailing only Maverick and Dr. Strange 2, which seems destined to fall as well.

10 days for $288 million - let's do some comparisons

Thor 4 was at $234 million after 10 days in the height of the summer
Dr. Strange 2 was slightly ahead after 10 days at $292 million, but it's third week was late May, and Maverick wiped it out on Memorial Day. Wakanda has no such threats.

all-time Marvel brand, BP2 is already up to 23rd all-time. That includes the earlier Spider-man and Fantasic Four incarnations. If it makes another $75 million this week, it'll be pushing into the top 15. $400 million is a dead pipe cinch, which only 11 Marvel movies have made.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avatar: Way of Water estimated $150-170M for opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-tracking-1235268597/

Would be a solid opening, but I think for this movie, it's all about the legs. I don't think we'll have a good idea of how this will do until at least weekend #2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
China announced they will allow the release. Pretty sure they just secured $1B with that alone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadellatto/2022/11/23/china-will-allow-avatar-sequel-in-theaters-a-crucial-win-for-massively-expensive-movie/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
Black Panther 2 made 7 million on Monday and 9 million more on Tuesday to sail past $300 million domestic heading into the real meat (pun intended) of the holiday week. It's at $303 million without Wednesday's numbers and should clean up on Turkey Day, Black Friday, and through the weekend, likely passing Thor, JW: Dominion, Minions 2, and the Batman in the next 5 days.

It's the 21st-fastest movie to reach $300 million domestic, doing so in 12 days. The original BP did it in 8. It's the second fastest to $300 m this year; Maverick did so in 11 days.

It's also already cracked the top 100 all-time domestic at 94th.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Black Panther 2 cha-chinged $18.2 million on Black Friday, which should crest into a huge Saturday and Sunday. It also made $10 million on Wednesday and $8.1 million on Turkey Day, pushing it up to $339 million domestic through 15 days.

With almost $258 million international, it's a little shy of $600 million total gross.

$339 million domestic has pushed it up to 66th all-time already. If it makes $20 million Saturday and another $20 million on Sunday, which seems quite likely, it will be up into the top 50 all-time domestic and up to #3 for all of 2022 with another 17-18 days before Avatar 2 lands.

In the Marvel Pantheon, it is up to 17th, and will pass Love and Thunder on Saturday.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
rhutton125
AG
I appreciate these
The Porkchop Express
The Numbers has estimated $17.6 million for BP2 on Saturday but just $10.1 million for Sunday, I guess because people are traveling home from Turkey Day trips, bringing it to an estimated $367.67 million through 17 days of its box.

That leaves it 6th for 2022, but less than $2 million behind both MInions 2 and The Batman, and less than $9 million behind Jurassic World Dominion for 3rd on the year. It should be up to second by the time Avatar 2 opens, but I would definitely take Way of the Water to overcome it and end up 2nd or even possibly first if it's a good movie.

The Numbers actually counts tickets sold, which I don't remember seeing before today. To put in perspective how dominant Maverick has been this year, it sold 78,152,427 tickets. Dr. Strange is second with 44,865,227 tickets.

Black Adam hanging on to #10 at $160,800 domestic, but that will be bumped off within a couple of days of Avatar opening, and likely finishes behind Puss in Boots part 37.

In the current run of Marvel movies (2008-present), BP2 is now up to 13th place. With another $33 million, it will be the 11th MCU movie to hit $400 million domestic.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Black Panther 2 moved past The Batman and Minions: Rise of Gru on Monday to reach #4 for 2022 at $369.679 million. It will pass Jurassic World: Dominion for third in a few more days.

It's now up to 52nd all-time and is just $4 million short of Spider-Man 2 for the Top 50.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Top Gun: Maverick returns to 1,850 theaters from December 2-15. It finished its domestic run in 5th place at $716 million but I guess a few more million are in order, but it won't come anywhere near surpassing #4 Avatar ($760 million).

Wakanda Forever moved up to #51 on Tuesday and is at $372 million
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
Between Mario (April) and GoTG3 (May), it's not out of the question that Chris Pratt has back-to-back $800M+ box office months next year, with an outside shot at back-to-back $1B months if both movies are truly great.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That is pretty wild.

Also wild -- Zoe Saldana is about to add two more billion dollar movies to her resume.
TCTTS
AG
Damn. She has to be closing in on becoming the highest grossing movie star of all time, right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She's gotta be getting close.

Although SLJ was in Endgame too so that one's a wash. Though I personally wouldn't count that one for him.
The Porkchop Express
If you include cameos, the sneaky answer is actually Stan Lee.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
Black Panther 2 passed Jurassic World to take over the #2 spot at the box office in 2022. Through Thursday, it's up to $376 million.

Next up is Dr. Strange 2 at $411 million, which will take some time to get to, and maybe not occur until after Avatar 2 floods theaters.

Worldwide, BP2 is up to $684 million.

All time it is up to 49th and is about to pass some heavy hitters in the next few days including Return of the King, Revenge of the Sith, Finding Nemo, Deathly Hallows Part 2, and GOTG Part 2.

The current Marvel run of 2008- now has 13 of the top 50 movies at the domestic box all-time. That includes 5 of the top 10.

Star Wars has 7 of the top 50, although also 6 of the top 21.
The Jurassic franchise has 4 of the top 50.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weirdly it feels like the entire year has been just a little weaker than expected at the box office. But that could just be superhero fatigue. (See: Top Gun)

Guess we'll see once Avatar opens.
The Porkchop Express
Black Panther 2 made $4.48 million on Friday to move to 47th all-time, jumping Return of the King and Revenge of the Sith.

It remains well outside the top 100 all-time internationally at $689 million, good for 139th. It's about halfway to the total of $1.382 billion made by Black Panther, which ranks 14th all-time.

Here's my don't look it up before you guess trivia question.

What movie has made at least $1 billion international with the LOWEST DOMESTIC PERCENTAGE?

There's a film out there that made it past $1 billion with only 18.3% of its total box coming from the US. The hint is that it came out in the past decade.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
rhutton125
AG
I wanna go with a Transformers of some type but that doesn't seem right. The answer is on the tip of my tongue though. Something ****ty that got bailed out by China. Terminator Genysis or something?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the later F&F movies. I'll go with F8.
SJEAg
AG
Without looking, I'll say Pirates Stranger Tides. Recall reading that was very intl heavy.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

One of the later F&F movies. I'll go with F8.
That's the correct franchise, but since I asked the question a whole day ago, I can't remember which one it was. Whichever one came out in 2017. Nice work!
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Figured. I knew 7 was huge and 9 didn't hit a billion.
The Porkchop Express
The Numbers has its early estimates and Black Panther 2 is up to $393.7 million through Sunday.

The Imax re-release of Top Gun: Maverick pushed its gross up to $717.772 million.

With the added gains this weekend, Wakanda Forever is now #43 all-time domestic, after rocketing past Return of the King, Revenge of the Sith, Finding Nemo, GOTG2, and Spiderman: Far From Home. Another $6.3 million will make it the 43rd movie to breach $400 million, the fourth of the 2020s.

Over the remainder of the month, it's going to take down a lot of Marvel stalwarts as well, including Civil War ($408 m), Iron Man 3 ($408.99 m), Dr. Strange 2 ($411 m), and likely Captain Marvel ($426 m). That will get it inside the top 30. We'll see if it has the legs to get to Age of Ultron at $459 m.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alright, what's y'all's predictions for Avatar: Way of Water, domestic and worldwide?

This is what I'm gonna go with.

Domestic:
Opening Weekend: $175M
Total: $730M (#4 between Avatar and Maverick)

Worldwide:
Opening Weekend: $500M
Total: $1.85B (#7 behind No Way Home)

I think China will be a pretty huge factor here. If the COVID restrictions prevent most people from going out, those WW numbers would go way down.
Faustus
The Porkchop Express said:

Black Panther 2 made $4.48 million on Friday to move to 47th all-time, jumping Return of the King and Revenge of the Sith.

It remains well outside the top 100 all-time internationally at $689 million, good for 139th. It's about halfway to the total of $1.382 billion made by Black Panther, which ranks 14th all-time.

Here's my don't look it up before you guess trivia question.

What movie has made at least $1 billion international with the LOWEST DOMESTIC PERCENTAGE?

There's a film out there that made it past $1 billion with only 18.3% of its total box coming from the US. The hint is that it came out in the past decade.
I appreciate the world wide box office information along with the domestic.

Fun thread.
The Porkchop Express
I'll say $650m domestic, no idea how to gauge worldwide. What the people of China are doing doesn't give me much pause, their government suck ass.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
The Porkchop Express
An impressive $1.162 million for BP2 on a Monday that is 2 weeks before one big holiday and 3 weeks in front of another.

Up to $394.833 million now. Next up on the hit list is Frozen at $400m at #42.

Disney's Strange World dying a slow death making $256,081 dollars in 4,171 theaters and sitting at $25.94 million. That's $61.39 per theater per day.

10-ish days until Avatar 2 comes out, and then nothing stands up to it for a long time (Sorry Puss in Boots 2)

Unless the remake of House Party coming out on Jan 13, 2023 can slow it down, Avatar 2 will run the box office until at least February 10, when horny women go to see Channing Tatum gyrate in Magic Mike's Last Dance.

But more realistically it will run **** until Antman 3 on February 17, 2023. That's two months unopposed.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Gig-Em2003
AG
Opening weekend - $110MM
Total Domestic - $825MM

Worldwide - $2.2B
The Porkchop Express
SInce I'll be celebrating the debut of Avatar 2 by having a colonoscopy next Thursday (insert Way of the Water joke here), I thought I'd start early with the predictions on its box office from around the Internet to date.

BoxOffice Pro says $135m opening weekend, $475m domestic, which sounds way too low. That was on November 19th

Variety predicted $649m domestic on September 30th. That would be 10th all-time domestic.

The Wrap says $150m-$170m opening weekend but didn't make an overall guess. It does have the great quote from Cameron saying that it has to be the third or fourth-highest grossing film in history to break even. No pressure!

The Sports Geek has odds on the movie. Making over $150 million opening weekend is -120, and Under $150 million is +100. Some of its analysis is whether families will take their twitchy, Digital Age kids to a movie that lasts 3 hours and 18 minutes (plus previews and ads meaning a 4-hour experience).

Much like the success of Top Gun: Maverick this year, the way that the original Avatar made its money is worth a deep dive. While the Internet was already in full swing at the end of 2009, Twitter only had 28 million users and Facebook had 360 million users, as compared to 901 million a couple of years later, so a lot of movie talk was still message boards and good-old-fashioned word of mouth.

Avatar had a big opening weekend for 2009 - $77 million on Dec. 18-20th mostly because of "from the director of Titanic" and the spectacular way that the filmmakign was being hyped. I remember watching an extensive feature on "60 Minutes" on it.

Going straight into the week of Christmas, it made 3 straight days of $16 million, dipped to $11 million on a Christmas Eve Thursday, then went thermo-nuclear with $23 million on a Christmas Day Friday, $28 million on December 26th and $24 million on December 27th.

I can't imagine when the last time a big blockbuster's best day of its first 10 days was on Day 10, but that was the case here. The movie made $26.7 million on its opening day (Dec 18th) and $28 million on December 26th

That led it to make $77 million the first weekend and $75 million the second weekend. And its third weekend was New Year's Eve / New Year's Day, and it made $25 million more on each of those days, for a third-weekend total of $68 million.

Its first day under $10 million was January 4th, a Monday, when it still made $8 million. It didn't make less than $5 million in a day until January 13th, its 27th day of run. it pushed past Titanic on February 2, and made at least $10 million every Saturday until February 13th its 58th day of run, when it struggled to $9.2 million.

First day under $1 million was on March 8, its 81st day of release. It continued to make at least $1 million every Thursday and Friday until March 26th and 27th, by which time it was down to 930 theaters.

MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I used to follow the box office pretty closely back in the 00s / early 10s, and I haven't really cared or followed it much in recent years.

This movie is making me interested in it again, feels like the old days for me.

I think we're about to see something special here, much like with Top Gun: Maverick.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Ticket inflation and literally nothing else of interest on the horizon. What are families going to do over the holidays? I know we'll be seeing it. It really does have potential to get to the level of the original based on early reviews. Length of film does not matter.
SJEAg
AG
It will benefit massively, probably more than Avatar 1, given that most will see it in 3D and its inflated ticket prices.

They even releasing 2D, figured Cameron would nix that by now.
The Porkchop Express
Not interested in the movie, but fascinated with the box office.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.