***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,552 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's opening pretty far below the $90M 5-day expectations. So it's already not a good sign. Guess we'll see how much damage Barbie and Oppenheimer do.
C@LAg
paramount had plenty of time they could have moved it if they were concerned about cannibalization. seems they might have gambled and somewhat lost potential revenues.

also.. i would be curious... do summer movies tend to have a long tail. my impression is that while they occassionally do... long tails are much more common in breakout holiday releases than summer ones due to the excessive competition in summer vs winter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely not common, but it happens. Top Gun Maverick and The Lion King remake are the only ones that come to mind to have those kinds of legs.

Black Panther and Mario were both spring releases, and I feel like Avengers movies are kind of their own thing.

But for the vast majority of cases it's holiday releases for sure. Force Awakens, Titanic, Avatar, Way of Water, Frozen, etc. I feel like for massive event movies, that is the surefire way to get that kind of play.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Despite the somewhat lackluster domestic weekend, still a damn good global opening.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
LMCane
so what happens in Hollywood if the Mission Impossible movie does not sell well?

so far Drudge is reporting the sales are stalling out and soft...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
LMCane said:

so what happens in Hollywood if the Mission Impossible movie does not sell well?

so far Drudge is reporting the sales are stalling out and soft...

Maybe they stop releasing 5 new movies every summer weekend!?

I wanted to see Transformers about 2 weeks after it came out and I couldn't find a showtime that worked cause it was already pushed down the ladder by a bunch of movies that nobody wanted to see.
Wildmen06
AG
I wonder if part of mission impossible lower box office is the fact thst everyone knows it's a "part 1" with the conclusion coming out in December.

I hate waiting for 2nd parts so might wait to watch part 1 until part 2 is about to come out.
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, Part Two is scheduled for June 28, 2024, not December, and will almost assuredly be delayed even further due to the strike.
TCTTS
AG
Wildmen06
AG
Even more reason I'll be in no rush to see it.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Eso si, Que es
Mission Impossible is going to tank this weekend. From what I am seeing it was very soft through the week and presales for this weekend are really low
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Mission Impossible is going to tank this weekend. From what I am seeing it was very soft through the week and presales for this weekend are really low

This. Which is why the opening weekend coming in below projections was so disappointing. It was really the only weekend of clear runway it had this summer.
Eso si, Que es
Eso si, Que es said:

Looking at local theaters today and tomorrow, I recant previous statement, everything seems to be getting a proximity bump and it may be a huge weekend for everything.
TCTTS
AG
This is absolutely bananas...

TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Deadline:
So far, Paramount's Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning despite shedding Imax, isn't taking a horrible hit, -54% in weekend 2 with $25M with a $124.2M running total. Friday is looking like $6.6M.

Could've been worse.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Eso si, Que es
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Deadline:
So far, Paramount's Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning despite shedding Imax, isn't taking a horrible hit, -54% in weekend 2 with $25M with a $124.2M running total. Friday is looking like $6.6M.

Could've been worse.

At $5.5 it was worse.

Barbie gonna do $220M+
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One distrib points out that never before in the history of box office has a weekend seen one movie open to $100M+ and a second to $50M+.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another Doug
AG
Ben Shapiro just called Barbie the most woke movie ever made

So the updated weekend projection for Barbie is: Broke

People are saying that most theaters are in the process of changing out the movie for a rerelease of "Left Behind (2000)" starring Kirk Cameron.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SATURDAY UPDATE: Audiences at the domestic, global and international box office this weekend are going bonkers for Barbenheimer. Warner Bros' Barbie is now poised for an estimated $300M+ worldwide start through tomorrow (eyeing $150M+ each, from North America and a combined 69 overseas markets). Meanwhile, Universal's Oppenheimer is now pegged for a $165.9M worldwide bow through Sunday, including $88.9M internationally.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.