***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,557 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyway... it's also worth noting that Dune: Part Two has at least an outside shot at a billion as well. Yes, the first movie made "only" $402M domestic, but it was the tail end of the pandemic/there was still some Covid hesitation, it released simultaneously on HBO Max, and it wasn't a "proven" franchise title yet.

Now? Everyone and their dog has caught up with the first one, most everyone loves it, and if the early word is to be believed, Part Two is sounding more and more like a massive, action-packed crowd pleaser, apparently even better than the first. Not to mention, January and February are barren as hell, and audiences will be thirsty for something big come March 1st. It also has virtually no competition for nearly a month after, and even come April it should still be able to still hold its own. For two months, this is it in terms of non-animated blockbusters…

3/29 - Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
4/12 - Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
4/26 - Civil War

So, yeah, it has everything going for it, and will hopefully be a huge, much-needed, maybe even billion-dollar boost early in the year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently you're not grasping mine either.

I clearly said even with it being good, there's no guarantee of $1B. Especially with the first two being good and neither coming close to a billion.
TCTTS
AG
captkirk
AG

Quote:

The death of Disney produced #4, #6, #7, #11 and #15
And produced no net profit
The Porkchop Express
Wow you guys are turning my thread into a real downer.
The Porkchop Express
captkirk said:

Quote:

The death of Disney produced #4, #6, #7, #11 and #15
And produced no net profit
Fingers crossed they can keep the lights on at the Tea Cup ride.

In the fourth quarter of 2023, the Walt Disney Company reported a net income of around 264 billion U.S. dollars, up from 162 billion dollars a year earlier
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Now? Everyone and their dog has caught up with the first one, most everyone loves it
No trying to goad you at all, but what evidence is there for this sentiment? At our New Years' Eve Party, only 1 other person out of 30 knew what Dune was or had seen it when the trailer came on - all honkies between the ages of 35-49, split evenly male/female.
double aught
AG
Look at me. I go to parties.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Disney parks are where the real profit are for the company. They've basically been using profit from the park division to fund their blockbusters for a while now. (Much to the annoyance of park fans who feel they're not putting enough money into their parks currently, which I agree with.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's actually been a bit of chatter among Disney news YouTubers (Mickey Views mainly) that there's been internal discussion about spinning the entertainment division off the main Walt Disney Company.

Highly unlikely, but the Disney park fans would certainly rejoice.
The Porkchop Express
Technically the party came to me!
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

Now? Everyone and their dog has caught up with the first one, most everyone loves it
No trying to goad you at all, but what evidence is there for this sentiment? At our New Years' Eve Party, only 1 other person out of 30 knew what Dune was or had seen it when the trailer came on - all honkies between the ages of 35-49, split evenly male/female.

Personally, I have a bunch of family members who didn't see it in theaters but finally caught up with it on streaming months later and loved it. We were just talking about it over the holiday. I also still see/hear a lot of offhanded talk on social media and entertainment podcasts, it has a 90% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, etc. It's not a scientific poll or anything, I just get the impression that so many more people caught up with it after it hit theaters, and I never hear a single negative word about it. It's all still glowing reactions. Granted, I'm more embedded in that world, and my friends/family probably are more so as well a result. But my overall point is that the first movie has now had two+ years to grow in the public consciousness, which naturally means more people paying attention to and excited for the second movie than the first. Enough to get it over a billion? That depends on how good the second movie really is...
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
Aquaman 2: The Search for Amber Heard's Career has officially passed The Flash as the #1 DC movie of 2023. It's up $111 million and $379 world wide. A far cry from 2018's Aquaman which made $335 million domestic and $1.143 billion world wide.

Justice Leagues' $229m/$655m is starting to look like a summer day dream at this point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So how badly will Madame Web flop?
TCTTS
AG
From the latest podcast episode of The Town, Matt Belloni and Lucas Shaw's annual box office draft. Factored together, these are their best bets for the top ten money-makers of the year...

01. Despicable Me 4
02. Deadpool 3
03. Inside Out 2
04. Wicked: Part One
05. Joker: Folie a Deux
06. Mufasa: The Lion King
07. Dune: Part Two
08. Kung Fu Panda 4
09. If
10. Beetlejuice 2

Runners-up...

- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
- Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
- Gladiator 2
- Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
- Twisters
- Venom 3

The Porkchop Express
Finally this thread takes off again with the eagerly anticipated debut of Madam Web, which made $6 million on Wednesday to debut at #2 behind Bob Marley's movie which made $14 million.

Madam Web is a shrewd 1-2 punch for a release date, combining a plot with no love story on Valentine's Day with a movie with no discernible black people to release during Black History Month.

It is currently ranked #6,230 in the domestic box office totals, and needs just $35,879 to surpass 1997's surprise Best Picture winner Kull the Conqueror, starring Kevin Sorbo, Tia Carrere, and somehow, Harvey Firestein.

I can't promise daily updates because I'm working out of town the next 2 weekends, but I"m going to give this movie all the hype it deserves.
rhutton125
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You mean you're not gonna tell us when it breaks TFA's domestic record?
The Porkchop Express
Madame Web slung her way to $2.15 million on Thursday, a meager 64% drop off from Wednesday, and about $1.7 million behind Bob Marley.
With a total box office now of an outlandish $8.201 million, it has soared to 5,686th place all-time domestically, just ahead of 1986's Lucas, starring Corey Haim, Charlie Sheen, and Joyce Byers, and just behind Dr. Giggles, a 1992 film starring Larry Drake as a psychopath and perennial smoke show Holly Marie Combs as "19 year old actress in need of paycheck."

The tagline for Dr. Giggles was "This doctor's got a DEADSIDE MANNER".

Pretty solid trailer.

TCTTS
AG
Absolutely loved Lucas growing up.
JD Shellnut
AG
JMO, but when they talk about and rank movies are far as money made, I wish inflation was considered. 8 million in 1986 is completely different than 8 million now. Just something that has always bothered me. Now I'll get back to yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.
TCTTS
AG
As an industry, we never should have started reporting box office in terms of money made, and instead reported the number of tickets sold. Then we'd never have to adjust for inflation and could truly compare popularity.
Another Doug
AG
TCTTS said:

Absolutely loved Lucas growing up.

The first movie where Jeremy Piven looks too old to be in high school.
The Porkchop Express
Was hoping these were 4 new posts about Dr. Giggles. You guys are such a letdown.
JD Shellnut
AG
TCTTS said:

As an industry, we never should have started reporting box office in terms of money made, and instead reported the number of tickets sold. Then we'd never have to adjust for inflation and could truly compare popularity.

Even better! Lucas was legit btw.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's the six-day opening through the Monday holiday, btw. Madame Web with $24M.
The Porkchop Express
I found the all-time domestic inflation-adjusted box office list for whoever was whining about it the other day. it only dates back to 1977 by the way, so sorry for the first 80 years o of movies.

Madame Web is up to #4,419 on that list, having surpassed A Doug's Journey, but not quite up to the level of 1997's The Beautician and The Beast.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/cumulative/all-time-inflation-adjusted
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well someone's in a mood today.
The Porkchop Express
Sarcasm.
It's a thing.
The Porkchop Express
big ups to Madame Web for crawling (thank you) up to the 41st best President's Day weekend of all time. Not quite as much money as Big Mommas: Like Father, LIke Son from 2011, but better than the Britney Spears movie Crossroads from 2002.

Bob Marley's movie, which should have been called Marley and Me II to drum up some extra business, had the 15th-best opening on a President's Day weekend, slightly less than whatever Wolfman movie came out in 2010 but more thn LIve Free or Die Hard, which I watched part of on Saturday, with a guy who had never seen it and was convinced I was lying when I said Bruce Willis successfully defeated a fighter jet with an 18-wheeler.
agdoc2001
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Madame Web is up to #4,419 on that list, having surpassed A Doug's Journey, but not quite up to the level of 1997's The Beautician and The Beast.

How is Doug anyhow? Miss that guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Madame Web rallied up to $35 million total at the bo office this week, putting it in 2,576th place all-time domestically. That's $214,000 more than The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas, but still trailing such luminaries as Dirty Grandpa and the Black Hole, the most terrifying PG kids movie in human history.
It's going to need to more than double its current total to reach #1,000 domestically, currently held by The Goodbye Girl.

Adjusted for inflation, it's at #3,826 all-time, 10 spots ahead of Ernest Scared Stupid but lagging both Highlander II: The Quickening and Child's Play 3.
Another Doug
AG
You need to make sure you keep updating this in the future for each time Madam Web is overtaken by a movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.