***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,532 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Collective
AG
oragator
Just curious, are these numbers adjusted for inflation?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As of today, Cameron has 3 of the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time worldwide. Soon to be 3 of the top 4.

Can't be overstated how insane that is for a single director. And without the benefit of a 20 film franchise that the Russo Bros had.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Domestically, Way of Water should be falling back below Maverick sometime this weekend. It's still outpacing NWH's dailies, although it's getting much closer to those than Maverick's.

Should be on track to end its run between $650M-700M, depending how hard the hit it takes from Ant-Man. (Would end in spot #7-9.)
The Porkchop Express
Nope!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
oragator said:

Just curious, are these numbers adjusted for inflation?

Worldwide numbers pretty much never get adjusted for inflation. It would be next to impossible to have accurate numbers since the strength of the dollar can fluctuate wildly among other countries every year.
TCTTS
AG
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

As of today, Cameron has 3 of the top 5 highest grossing movies of all time worldwide. Soon to be 3 of the top 4.

Can't be overstated how insane that is for a single director. And without the benefit of a 20 film franchise that the Russo Bros had.

Especially since Titanic and the Avatars aren't even his best movies.

Give me T2, True Lies, and Aliens over those any day.
oragator
I figured, but it does make the comparisons a bit hollow.
As an example and a far from perfect approach, but Just to to use constant US dollars, the 1.84 billion titanic made in 1997/8 would be about 3.4 billion today.
And that's before the idea of greater wealth worldwide meaning higher ticket prices in foreign markets now comparatively (even beyond traditional inflation - nicer theaters and seats commanding more money).
Just would be cool if someone could come up with a formula for a true comparison.
The Porkchop Express
It's a free thread, knock yourself out!
oragator
I wasn't speaking about anyone here, just musing generally about how the industry does comparisons. Would be cool if they had something to account for it.
The Porkchop Express
I know. I'm saying if you have an interest, you should go for it. I wanted to learn all about the all-time strikeout record by an MLB hitter and now I'm headed for year 3 curating the Joey Gallo thread on F53.
oragator
Just did a search, IMDB had it. Don't know how often it's updated though.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls026442468/
Faustus
The Porkchop Express said:

I know. I'm saying if you have an interest, you should go for it. I wanted to learn all about the all-time strikeout record by an MLB hitter and now I'm headed for year 3 curating the Joey Gallo thread on F53.
Part of it was to make fun of Rangers fans, but it became so much more.
The Porkchop Express
I never was making fun of Ranger fans. But it was super funny that they took it so personally. Hopefully, the board's legions of MInnesota Twins fans aren't as thin-skinned in 2023.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Way of Water has officially passed The Force Awakens to hit #4 on the all-time worldwide list.

This is likely to be its final spot, although it's not impossible to pass Titanic. (Needs $123M.)

Although Titanic is re-releasing in February, so that's unlikely anyway.

For all the doubts people had about how many people would care about this movie, #4 all-time is pretty good.
bonfarr
AG
I couldn't finish the first Avatar, just not my thing. I couldn't finish The Matrix either and tried four or five times.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Chipotlemonger
AG
bonfarr said:

I couldn't finish the first Avatar, just not my thing. I couldn't finish The Matrix either and tried four or five times.

How do you watch your movies? Serious question.
bonfarr
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

bonfarr said:

How do you watch your movies? Serious question.

Put the movie on and kick back and start watching like everyone else. Both of those movies just had me bored and disinterested 30 minutes in and I switched them off and did something else. I do like SciFi but those movies just did nothing for me.

I had so many people tell me how good The Matrix was that I kept going back to it but never could get into it.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So you turned off The Matrix before he even wakes up?

I mean you didn't give it much of a chance did you.
Counterpoint
AG
Those are "theater movies", especially the Avatars.
TCTTS
AG
Faustus
bonfarr said:

Probably felt a little deja vu during the latter efforts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just passed Last Jedi at the #11 spot ($620M) and should pass Avengers ($623M) by Tuesday to reach the top 10.
The Porkchop Express
Avatar 2 has surpassed Incredibles 2 and The Last Jedi to move into 11th place all-time at the domestic box office.

Is Saturday and SUnday #s have it up to $620,580,771, slightly ahead of The Last Jedi's $620,181,382.

It's just $2.8 million behind The Avengers for 10th now. After that is Jurassic World at $652m and Titanic at $659m.

Internationally it's at $1.496 billion, about $52 million behind Titanic.

Worldwide it's at $2.116 billion, about $91 million behind Titanic.

Puss n Boots remains a remarkably solid second behind Avatar.

Friday was Avatar $3.57 million, Puss $2.44m; Saturday: Avatar $7.84m, Puss $4.99m; Sunday: Avatar $4.29m, Puss $3.19m.

Puss n Boots is up to $140.8 million, getting close to Uncharted for 12th among 2022 releases. A Man Called Otto had a $6 million weekend to get up to $46 million.

Black Panther 2 surpassed $453 million in its last weekend before Disney Plus.

The overall domestic gross for all domestic movies for 2022 was $7.335 billion. This was up for $4.861 billion in 2021, but still way down from $11.443 billion in 2019.

Domestic total box first broke $10 billion in 2009 and was between $10 and $11 billion every year until 2019.

The record is $11.610 billion in 2018, the year of Black Panther, Infinity War, Incredibles 2, Fallen Kingdom, and Deadpool 2. In all 35 movies made at least $100 million that year.

TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avatar's reign ends this weekend after an impressive 7 straight weekends at #1.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/box-office-knock-at-the-cabin-avatar-2-80-for-brady-1235246078/
TCTTS
AG
Btw, I looked at three different theaters in LA tonight for Friday tickets to Knock at the Cabin, and all three theaters were already nearly sold out. Pretty cool to see. Between that, Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantumania, Cocaine Bear, and maybe even Magic Mike's Last Dance, this could be a pretty big February for theaters at the box office. Fingers crossed.
The Porkchop Express
Avatar 2 has surpassed The Avengers for 10th place all time at the domestic box office. It is now at $623,536,460 through Tuesday. Avatar ended its 2012 run at $623,357,910.

It will be at least a couple of weeks if not moreso for A2 to reach #9, which is currently held by Jurassic World at $652.3 million.

The Top 10 domestic has seen 3 new entries in the last 365 days. No Way home, which rose to #3 at $814 million, Top Gun Maverick, which is 5th at $718.7 million, and now Avatar 2 at #10.

Avatar 2 broke $1.5 billion international on Tuesday, and is now $43.5 million behind Titanic for #3 all-time there.

Worldwide it's at $2.128 billion, about $79 million behind Titanic for third.

M Night Shamalamadingdong's Knock at the Cabin opens this Friday and seems a decent bet to knock off Avatar for the weekend crown for the first time. Also opening is TC's Executive Producer debut, 80 for Brady.

Magic Mike's Last Dance, featuring Brian Earl Spilner as "Greased-up Backup Dancer #3" opens on February 10th, as does a 25th anniversary re-release of Titanic.

Ant-Man launches on February 17th, as does a limited re-release of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And then March right out of the gate with Scream 6.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For a second I thought TC actually did produce 80 For Brady.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, if someone offered me a credit on that movie, with pay, for doing absolutely nothing, I think I would still turn it down.
The Porkchop Express
Knock at the Cabin debuted at #1 on Friday with $5.4 million, followed by the TCTTs-produced cinematic masterpiece 80 for Brady at $4.7 million. Avatar 2 mustered $2.4 million on Friday to reach $628 million in its 50th day at the box. It narrowly avoided losing its streak of consecutive days making $1 million when it finished with $1.005 million on Thursday. Puss in Boots made over $1 million again at $1.69 million.

Avatar 2 is still in 10th all-time domestic, but has whittled the deficit behind Jurassic World down to $24.3 million. It's going to be a bizarre finish for Avatar 2 which will finish inside the top 3-4 movies all time globally, but won't even be the #1 movie domestically for the year of its release, as it still trails Maverick by $90 million.

Puss n Boots 2 is up to $145 million and will surpass Uncharted for 12th for 2022 this week. It should be able to take #12 Elvis ($151 million) before it bows out, and just miss the top 10 of 2022, where Black Adam currently festers at $168 million.

By the final count, 18 movies made at least $100 million in 2022, up from 14 in 2021 and 2 movies in the debacle of 2020.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.