***** The Box Office Thread *****

88,549 Views | 1181 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Avatar is up to 9th all-time Interntionally at $1.051 million.

It's official worldwide total is now $1.516 billion, also 9th place.. The gaps start getting bigger the rest of the way up. The Lion King is 8th at $1.647 billion and Jurassic World is 7th at $1.669 billion.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, I guess there really isn't much right now, even with M3gan opening tonight.

The Porkchop Express
I wonder how things would have gone if DC had kept Shazaam 2 in its original spot?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm guessing DC is probably happy they didn't have to find out.

For one thing they wouldn't have gotten any IMAX or Dolby showings.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Way of Water $6.8M Thursday. Once again tops Maverick (6.2M), Avatar (6M), and TFA (5.9M) on their third Thursday.

NWH and Rogue One are all the way back at 3.9M.
The Porkchop Express
Here's a little nugget. Yesterday was the first day that Avatar 2 didn't pass at least one other movie on the all-time domestic list. Its $6.8 million got it up to $471.76 million domestic, which puts it $6 million behind The Phantom Menace.

M3GAN, which I have zero idea what that means, kicked off with impressive Thursday previews of $2.75 million, and Puss In Boots finished at $1.986 million to get to $74.6 million. It should be above $90 million once the weekend is over.

BP2's box isn't out yet, but I can tell you with great conviction that Black Adam poured on another $5,283 to its box office yesterday. I assume these 178 screens still showing it are some sort of punishment.

In addition to its domestic haul, Avatar 2 has made $173 million in China, $93 million in France, $34 million in Australia, $70 million in Germany, $50 million in India, $75 million in SOuth Korea, and $54 million in the UK. I don't know if any of those numbers are good or great or whatevver, just throwing it out there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looking like another great weekend for theaters.

Way of Water is tracking at $37M for the weekend, M3gan $27M. I bet both could overperform those projections.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This article.

https://www.polygon.com/23542684/avatar-3-release-date-story-james-cameron-sequels-fire-navi
The Porkchop Express
Whoa! First reports say M3GAN knocked Avatar out of the top spot $11.7m to $11.4m on Friday!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They roll Thursday night showings into Friday so they didn't really sell more tickets, but yeah.

Won't win the weekend though.
The Porkchop Express
I thought avatar would rule every day til ant man
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
Although it fell to 2nd place on Friday behind M3GAN, Way of Water climbed into the Top 20 domestic all time, passing The Phantom Menace and Frozen 2 to finish at $483.2 million. It will blow past Finding Dory on Saturday and surpass $500 million either Saturday or Sunday, which will see it within reach of Beauty and the Beast and The Rise of Skywalker.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saturday early numbers: $20.5M for Avatar 2 (+80% from yesterday and +14% from last Saturday), $11.75M for Megan (nearly flat from its full opening day) and $6M for Puss in Boots 2 (+82% from yesterday and +28% from last Saturday).

Best 4th Saturdays:
*1. American Sniper: $34.5M (Expansion; really a first weekend)
2. Avatar: $21.3M
3. Avatar: The Way of Water: 20.5M
4. The Force Awakens: $19.2M
5. Black Panther: $18.4M

Avatar has now surpassed $500M as of Saturday.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Internationally, Spain, France, and Germany are all reporting increases for Way of Water from last weekend.

In Germany, it's going to beat Titanic for the best ever 4th weekend.

$2.2B would appear to be the floor if this keeps up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For its fourth weekend, WoW will likely settle somewhere between Avatar and Maverick.

Best case: $11.5m FRI + $21m SAT + $15.5m SUN (-26%, same as Avatar 1) for $48m, just $2.3m shy of Avatar 1.

Worst case: $11.3m FRI + $20m SAT + $12m SUN (40% drop, slightly bigger than NWHs 36% from 2022) for $43.3m, just 1.3m shy of TGMs 4th weekend.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Current all-time standings:
Domestic: #16, $517M (Between Rogue One and Rise of Skywalker)
Worldwide: #7, $1.7B (Between No Way Home and Jurassic World)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
An interesting meta moment of Neytiri talking about the box office of the Way of Water...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Got extended in China. Showing very strong legs.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
Avatar 2 is up to $528.827 million domestic after a $3.173 million Wednesday. It is 16th all-time and will assuredly pass Rogue One ($533m) and the Dark Knight ($534m) this coming weekend, and probably The Lion King ($543m) as well.

After that, the hill gets much steeper up to #12 which is The Incredibles 2 at $608 million. You need $623 million to get into the current top 10 and $718 million to get to the current top 5.

There are 2 holiday weekends only over the next 2 months - MLK this weekend and then President's Day weekend, but that is the weekend that Ant-Man 3 comes out, which will be the first movie to make a lot of noise since Avatar 2.

Black Panther 2 will pass The Dark Knight Rises for 24th at some point over this weekend as well. And Puss in Boots 2 will hit $100 million Puss in Boots' opening weekend put its estimated earnings after 22 days between $28 m and $36 m. Instead it's at $91m and counting.

Avatar 2 is now the 5th most successful International Box Office hit at $1.223 billion. 2 of the only 4 ahead of it are Avatar 1 and Titanic.

It's now 7th all time World Wide at $1.752 billion.. No Way Home is 6th at $1.91 billion.

Faustus
Appreciate the update.

I find myself checking the thread daily now rooting for the receipts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Incredibles 2 has always been the one that confuses me. It's crazy that that's somehow the most popular Pixar movie and so high on the domestic all time list.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avatar has been consistently outpacing Rogue One but falling below Maverick this week. So neither seems like a good benchmark going forward.

The movie it's most consistent with at this point is No Way Home, although still pacing just bit ahead of it.

At this point in their releases, Avatar stands at $528M vs NWH's $675M.

NWH made another $100M from here, so $630M is probably a good idea of where this will land. That would be good for the #10 spot all time ahead of The Avengers.

If it manages an extra $30M, it would knock out Titanic for #8.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Incredibles 2 has always been the one that confuses me. It's crazy that that's somehow the most popular Pixar movie and so high on the domestic all time list.
I never liked either of those movies. The second was loud AF. And Frozone deserves a spinoff.

I think it's popularity stems from the fact that it's the most boy-friendly Pixar movie.
TCTTS
AG
Between Avatar, Megan, and whatever else is coming out over the next three weekends, I wonder if this month has any chance whatsoever of breaking any kind of total January box office record? Only because it's such a crap month, traditionally/theatrically. Probably a long shot, but it would be an awesome start to 2023.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Between Avatar, Megan, and whatever else is coming out over the next three weekends, I wonder if this month has any chance whatsoever of breaking any kind of total January box office record? Only because it's such a crap month, traditionally/theatrically. Probably a long shot, but it would be an awesome start to 2023.
No chance. The current January tally domestic is $242.757 million. There have been 4 instances when it's been more than $1 billion, most recently in 2016 when you had a top 5 of The Force Awakens, The REvenant, Daddy's Home, Ride ALong 2, and 13 Hours.
TCTTS
AG
Damn, I forgot about all the other December releases that bled over into the next year. Makes sense.
The Porkchop Express
If Avatar 2 doesn't ultimately finish ahead of Maverick ($718 million and change), it will join a very odd club of top 10 domestic movies that didn't actually finish #1 in the year they were released.

There are already 2 entries in the top 10 for that.

#9 Jurassic World made $653 million, but finished a distant second in 2015 to The Force Awakens ($936 million)

#7 Infinity War made $678 million, but was outpaced by Black Panther ($700 million) in 2018.

agdoc2001
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Probably because it's awesome.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Porkchop Express
Update: Black Adam made $1,198 in 87 theaters on Thursday.
Faustus
Even Zwarte Piet is more popular, and things haven't been great for him of late either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.