***** The Box Office Thread *****

81,322 Views | 1105 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed. And it's probably going to take a fourth Spider-Man or the next Avengers to break the slump. The Marvels certainly won't do it, and I'm afraid the Captain America: New World Order / Thunderbolts back-to-back next year is just going to underline how "JV" this whole, post-Endgame era has felt, but maybe they'll surprise. Otherwise, we're looking at 2025 before any kind of a return to form, if ever...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think I've been a pretty big MCU fan up to now and have a absolutely no interest in any of those movies, which makes me think most people don't either. Granted, there's no trailers yet for two of those, so who knows.
rhutton125
AG
Somewhat related to MCU but mostly just GotG3:

I think this summer is going to be full of films having big openings and then getting swept aside for the next thing. Just a lot of films cannibalizing each other. Probably lots of hype but no way any of these do THAT well when something new and shinier is just around the corner. Consider:

Guardians 3, then two weeks later is
Fast 10, then one week later is
Little Mermaid, then a week later is
Spiderverse, then a week later is
Transformers, then a week later is
The Flash, then two weeks later is
Indiana Jones, then two weeks later is
Mission Impossible, then one week later is
Oppenheimer/Barbie

These can't all succeed. You need either a HUGE opening, or several weeks alone at the top, to make a billion dollars. Usually both. So if Guardians 3 is a disappointment with $600M+ globally, I don't see how Fast X has enough time in the spotlight with Mermaid on its heels. Then Spider-verse probably gets overshadowed. Then Transformers will come and go. Flash will enjoy two good weeks but Indy will leave it in the dust. Etc.

I'm guessing at least 4 of these films are going to wish they'd blinked and moved to late summer or a nice empty spot in the fall. My guess is Spider-verse, Transformers, Oppenheimer and Barbie. But will any film crack a billion? A billion dollar Indy might mean a flopping Mission Impossible/Oppenheimer/Barbie, for example.

We gon eat good this summer, but will any one studio?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
On the flip side, Mario keeps on rolling internationally.

It just surpassed Incredible 2's $634M international gross, and will be surpassing it on the global charts shortly. ($1.24B)
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125 said:

Somewhat related to MCU but mostly just GotG3:

I think this summer is going to be full of films having big openings and then getting swept aside for the next thing. Just a lot of films cannibalizing each other. Probably lots of hype but no way any of these do THAT well when something new and shinier is just around the corner. Consider:

Guardians 3, then two weeks later is
Fast 10, then one week later is
Little Mermaid, then a week later is
Spiderverse, then a week later is
Transformers, then a week later is
The Flash, then two weeks later is
Indiana Jones, then two weeks later is
Mission Impossible, then one week later is
Oppenheimer/Barbie

These can't all succeed. You need either a HUGE opening, or several weeks alone at the top, to make a billion dollars. Usually both. So if Guardians 3 is a disappointment with $600M+ globally, I don't see how Fast X has enough time in the spotlight with Mermaid on its heels. Then Spider-verse probably gets overshadowed. Then Transformers will come and go. Flash will enjoy two good weeks but Indy will leave it in the dust. Etc.

I'm guessing at least 4 of these films are going to wish they'd blinked and moved to late summer or a nice empty spot in the fall. My guess is Spider-verse, Transformers, Oppenheimer and Barbie. But will any film crack a billion? A billion dollar Indy might mean a flopping Mission Impossible/Oppenheimer/Barbie, for example.

We gon eat good this summer, but will any one studio?

I think the biggest issue will be the limited IMAX real estate, seeing as each release will get like two weeks tops on IMAX screens (if that), but otherwise most of those titles will play all summer long, in some form or fashion. Granted, May titles will almost assuredly be squeezed out come August, but otherwise this feels like the glory days of the 2010s again, when there were a ton of summer blockbusters and the studios all still managed to eat. It sucks that we'll only have a matter of days to catch something like Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse in IMAX, but overall I think this summer is going to be fantastic for everyone - studios, theaters, and audiences alike.

Also, speaking of August, don't count out Meg 2: The Trench and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, both on August 4. The former screened footage at CinemaCon a couple weeks back, and although it looked expectedly camp, it also apparently brought the house down, to the point where pundits are now predicting it'll be the sleeper hit of the summer. That, and Blue Beetle on August 18 could make for a nice little surprise as well.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty good pod on this very subject from Matt Belloni from Thursday...

rhutton125
AG
All good points. I guess I just wonder what the narrative will be for each film when it's all said and done. 2016 had a packed summer, and while few of them were as anticipated as this year's slate is, there were a lot of films with big openings that ultimately ended up as box office disappointments and didn't get sequels. Jason Bourne and Star Trek: Beyond come to mind. But Suicide Squad had an empty month ahead of it and made crazy money.

I guess we'll see! I just wonder how many will make a respectable half-billion but will ultimately be franchise-enders because they needed like $750M to be profitable.
TCTTS
AG
To me, it's some of the May/early June titles that are the only ones in real danger of this, whereas the late June/July titles will have all of August and September with very little competition (relatively speaking).

That said, I do think one or two of these titles would definitely have been better served moving to December, considering how weak this Christmas is in terms of blockbusters, with just Wonka and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom on the slate.
rhutton125
AG
Pretty good listen
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

On the flip side, Mario keeps on rolling internationally.

It just surpassed Incredible 2's $634M international gross, and will be surpassing it on the global charts shortly. ($1.24B)
Nintendo is really interesting to me. Started as a card company in the 1800s. They move into video games with great success. But twice they release consoles that do poorly enough that it looks like the company is in trouble (GameCube, WiiU). But they bounce back massively both times (Wii, Switch), all while going against two of the biggest tech companies on the planet, Sony and Microsoft. Now the success of the Mario movie, more than anyone could've expected.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And they've now expanded into theme parks, and have a potential GOTY releasing in less than a week.

It's a good time for Nintendo.
rhutton125
AG
Do we know what the next big Nintendo movie adaptation will be? I imagine they'll try to capitalize on this with something soon. Maybe Zelda or Metroid or a Donkey Kong spinoff..?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DK is the rumor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Mario estimate is $18.5M, -55% and once again beating out Incredibles 2's $16.2M on its fifth weekend.

Also marks the first weekend Mario has fallen more than 40%. But given the competition of a new MCU movie, that is still impressive. My guess is that drops back into the 35-45% range next weekend.

I thought -35% was the best case, but nope. Back down to a -28% dip for a $13.3M sixth weekend. Still beating out Incredibles 2 consistently every weekend.

Its weekdays have been smaller due to not being in the summer. But this thing just keeps going. Has a solid shot at $600M.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's a strong hold.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
rhutton125
AG
So a somewhat-dinky U.S. opening but a massive overseas opening? Am I interpreting that right? This franchise is always absurdly international in its ratios so I guess that sounds about right.
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
So Spider-verse is tracking ahead of Fast X'd opening, and Fast X made a pathetic 23m in its second weekend (barely ahead of Guardians in its 4th weekend).

I was pretty down on the domestic value of the Fast franchise but damn. Those are worse than Black Adam numbers.
Iowaggie
AG
LM did 5th best Memorial Day weekend opening numbers.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People keep bringing up GOTG 3 as an example of why superhero fatigue isn't real, but let's be honest, that movie would've made $1B in a world where fatigue wasn't happening.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

People keep bringing up GOTG 3 as an example of why superhero fatigue isn't real, but let's be honest, that movie would've made $1B in a world where fatigue wasn't happening.

Yep. There is most definitely fatigue over multiverse type releases.
rhutton125
AG
I don't know if it's just because of how budgets work these days, or if it's a kind of post-COVID pickiness, but it's interesting how audiences seem to either reject or wholeheartedly embrace certain films in theaters. Or maybe it's because there's just no nuance to the internet and everything is huge success or big disappointment. But only a handful of films have made a billion since 2020 (is it just Spider-Man, Avatar, Top Gun, Mario?). And even those that disappoint don't just disappoint due to a competitive theatrical market - it's like audiences just straight up aren't interested in Fast X or Flash or Transformers.

Feels like it's either a great opening and great legs (GotG3, Spider-verse) or outright rejection on both fronts. Not much in between. I guess Quantumania had a big opening and then fell off the map - but even that's pretty rare.

Flash and Fast X have performed worse than Black Adam - that's wild to me. Seems like there used to be a crowd for the first weekend to any big blockbusterā€¦ but now we all know what we want and don't want.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Only exception I can think of is John Wick 4. It was most certainly a hit, but didn't blow the doors down either. It was just a bit below what I would've expected, given the trajectory of that series.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Had no idea Transformers came out already.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
Holy ****

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.