Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

236,486 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Random nitpick... thought it was funny the storm troopers reacted when that blind non Jedi dude kicked sand in their faces... they're wearing helmets and probably have been for a while so they should be used to the elements
Belton Ag
AG
I'm really kind of surprised how much complaining the cgi Tarkin has caused. When they showed him from behind I knew it was Tarkin the second we saw him on screen, and when he turned around I said out loud "Holy ****, they went there!" You could tell right away he was cgi and yes something was off a bit. His facial movements weren't natural but it wasn't bad, and certainly not "really bad."
The Collective
AG
Yea, I will be watching that Vader scene a couple hundred times...
jabberwalkie09
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Random nitpick... thought it was funny the storm troopers reacted when that blind non Jedi dude kicked sand in their faces... they're wearing helmets and probably have been for a while so they should be used to the elements
I understand where you're coming from, but I think that's a natural reaction to something being thrown in your face.
TAMU_91
AG
Anyone complaining about the CGI in this movie just needs to go back and watch the prequels to be reminded what truly bad CGI looks like.
redd38
AG
Just saw it, CGI didn't bother me at all. I think I liked TFA more, but Rogue One was good and well done.
RAT90
AG
The worst part about my second viewing of the movie is seeing it with the wife and afterwards trying to explain references, people, and such, and have her just stare at me and shrug her shoulders or say "ok".
Flashdiaz
AG
TAMU_91 said:

Anyone complaining about the CGI in this movie just needs to go back and watch the prequels to be reminded what truly bad CGI looks like.

Or better yet, go look at Revenge of the Sith Tarkin
DannyDuberstein
AG
RAT90 said:

The worst part about my second viewing of the movie is seeing it with the wife and afterwards trying to explain references, people, and such, and have her just stare at me and shrug her shoulders or say "ok".

Yeah, I learned a long tome ago that if someone my age (40's) isn't familiar with this stuff already, it's because they DGAF. They've had 40 years to and just don't. So it's not worth trying to explan now.
Duncan Idaho
The CGI in the prequels didn't bother me because the rest of the movie sucked so much that they would have been terrible even without the bad CGI

This movie was great so so the bad CGI stood out more
Jim01
AG
One thing I haven't seen mentioned.

First Death Star strike they blow up the city and the temple, direct hit.

Second Death Star strike, even though there is a big tall building they seem to fire at some random point in the water. What were they aiming at?
Saul Goodman
AG
Really liked it. I saw it in 2D and thought they did a great job with Tarkin, less so with Leia. Regardless, I appreciate the ambition and effort to recreate Tarkin like that, and he was absolutely an interesting part of the film. They should've just let us see the back of Leia.
Tanya 93
RAT90 said:

Why did you marry someone who didn't care?
I once dumped a guy who told me he hated Sci Fi.
Ag Since 83
AG
The shot actually went straight through the satellite dish and took the top of the tower off before hitting the water
tk for tu juan
Episode IV is currently on TNT
YellowPot_97
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

YOU ARE WELCOME

https://vimeo.com/195909731 pw: rogue1

for those that missed the link....
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just got out. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

I thought Tarkin was the best that could be done with the current technology. Not 100% real, but real enough. Leia was good, but they thankfully kept her entire scene at about 15 seconds so it wasn't bad.

My one nitpick on CGI-ing characters into this film was with the rebel pilots who were involved in the Battle of Yavin (Red Leader, Gold Leader, etc). I didn't buy their CGI as well as I did the others. They even spoke one or two of their same lines of dialogue from the first movie. A nice idea, but...............I don't know. It didn't work as well for me. But that is just a TINY nitpick on the whole.

The Hammerhead Corvair is now my favorite rebel ship. I cheered that more than I did watching Vader's Super Star Destroyer go into the Death Star in "Jedi." That was f-ing awesome.

And the space battle at the end was the most exhilarating sequence in any Star Wars film ever.

Me watching Vader destroy the rebel troops at the end:

DB Coach
AG
I absolutely loved it. Tarkin was distracting for me, but not enough to hate on it. I might be in the minority here, but I actually thought Leia looked fantastic....I knew it was CGI, but I could not discern any difference from real like what was obvious with Tarkin. Granted, I had to watch it in 3D as it was the only available option for the time I could go.
redd38
AG
I really hope they make a sequel, I want to know what happens to that pretty lady they give the plans to at the end.
AB2
AG
YellowPot_97 said:

YellowPot_97 said:

YOU ARE WELCOME

https://vimeo.com/195909731 pw: rogue1

for those that missed the link....

Thank you sweet baby Jesus.
The Collective
AG
So, which dude was played by Willow? Was it the short Ugnaught looking dude on Jeddha?
Know Your Enemy
AG
I loved it. I'm not a supergeek about SW so maybe that's why my opinions are different than others but I absolutely loved seeing Leia at the end. And Tarkin wasn't distracting to me. The score did bug me somewhat, though. Was it not John Williams this time?

Loved Vader at the end. Didn't care for Cassian at all. Forrest Whitaker was surprisingly disappointing IMO.
VanZandt92
Liked it
The Collective
AG
I thought Leia looked better than Tarkin as well. One other note, Tarkin was necessary... don't see how you make a movie related to the death star and the imperial politics that surround the project without Tarkin playing a role. I'm glad Disney had the balls to do it realizing some would complain about it.
VanZandt92
I hate CG generally and had no problem worth this movie.

However, we saw it in 3D and the glasses made the whole movie unnecessarily dark.
Farmer1906
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The CGI in the prequels didn't bother me because the rest of the movie sucked so much that they would have been terrible even without the bad CGI

This movie was great so so the bad CGI stood out more

Except the CGI was fantastic on this one.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Junkhead said:

Was it not John Williams this time?
No, it was Michael Giacchiano.
The Collective
AG
Seems they just accepted the score wouldn't be very good, so they didn't make it as important to the film. Do we think the prior composer really had a schedule conflict or was his product even worse?

Seeing the movie, I am forced to partially believe the worst of the rumors. I think that's a testament to Lucasfilm that they aren't DC... they were able to make this thing work.
titanmaster_race
Most of the music was terrible. It sounded like stuff you could get free off a no copyrights website full of generic tracks.
VanZandt92
The music was pretty forgettable. Did Disney not buy those rights?
The Collective
AG
Yep. There wasn't a track that exceeded the trailer music. That's damn sad.
VanZandt92
It does seem like Disney is scared to deviate from any thing in the basic Star Wars story
Farmer1906
AG
VanZandt92 said:

It does seem like Disney is scared to deviate from any thing in the basic Star Wars story
Do you want Disney ****ing with the OT? What they added was perfect and made it more plausible.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Junkhead said:

Was it not John Williams this time?
No, it was Michael Giacchiano.

That explains it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
He also had about 4 weeks apparently to do the score. The score was one of my complaints as well, as at times it would give you nostalgia of the OT, but at times it just felt off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.