Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

236,504 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CJS4715 said:

Can't find much info about Vader's castle. They didn't have a location name at the start of that scene, right?

Why didn't Vader force pull that memory chip?
It WAS Mustafar.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/rogue-one-spoiler-darth-vaders-star-wars-backstory-just-got-sadder-574338
wangus12
AG
Not surprised. It makes it easy for fans to make the connection and he has a backstory there. Not very many people knew about his castle on Vjun
The Collective
AG
Mustafar has been referenced in Rebels, right? I have a faint memory of that... if so, it makes sense.
HeadGames
AG
Did we discuss the space battle? Best space battle ever? 2nd? 3rd?
Ag Since 83
AG
1A/1B with Jedi in my opinion. Need to dwell on it more
spanky
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I thought they did great with Chirrut and Baze, from start to death. Reality is they can't develop a deep story on all of these brand new characters without making it a 4 hour movie. I loved how they used humor to tie you to them instead. Also loved "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me."

Yes, all the characters would have been tough, but more development of Jyn's family should of happened at least. A 2 hour movie like Gladiator managed that
snowdog90
This is easily the best SW movie since Empire. The characters in this movie dwarf the TFA characters. I am very pleasantly surprised, and look forward to a second watch.
3rd and 2
AG
I liked these characters way more than the episode 1, 2, 3 and 7 characters. Why'd everyone have to die?
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

Mustafar has been referenced in Rebels, right? I have a faint memory of that... if so, it makes sense.
Mentioned once in an episode as where Jedi go to die, and then seen in "Fire Across the Galaxy" which was the season 1 finale.
agmag90
TCTTS said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Who's ready for TCTTS to come in and throw water all over our exuberance when his "expert eye" sees it?
Per usual, I'm just sitting here atop my castle, notebook in hand, waiting with baited breath to bestow my vast amounts of knowledge upon the plebeians.

Seriously, though, there's no one who wants these movies to be great more than me. But if something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Apologies for not sugar coating these types of things. Conversely, if it works for you, my thought/opinions should have absolutely no baring on your enjoyment / this thread.

That said, I'm not seeing it 'til Saturday evening, and have to be up at 5 AM for a flight home the next day, so I might not be able to post 'til sometime Sunday. Hoping for the best...
TCTTS is my leader
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
agmag90 said:

TCTTS said:

AgMarauder04 said:

Who's ready for TCTTS to come in and throw water all over our exuberance when his "expert eye" sees it?
Per usual, I'm just sitting here atop my castle, notebook in hand, waiting with baited breath to bestow my vast amounts of knowledge upon the plebeians.

Seriously, though, there's no one who wants these movies to be great more than me. But if something doesn't work, it doesn't work. Apologies for not sugar coating these types of things. Conversely, if it works for you, my thought/opinions should have absolutely no baring on your enjoyment / this thread.

That said, I'm not seeing it 'til Saturday evening, and have to be up at 5 AM for a flight home the next day, so I might not be able to post 'til sometime Sunday. Hoping for the best...
TCTTS is my leader
Standing by.
AgMarauder04
AG
Hey bud, I hope know I was mostly joking. I always look forward to yout opinions.
scubasteve304
AG
I would like to know more about TC's castle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Does it have a bacta tank?
3rdGen2015
AG
I just got out. I really enjoyed it, I'm hoping I can go see it a few more times in theaters. I'm not sure my home system would do it justice when it comes out for home release.
TCTTS
AG
For sure.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I forgot to mention in my review.

When Mon Mothma was talking with Bail about his "Jedi friend". Loved it. That little nod to Obi-Wan made me way too happy.
Cabbage
AG
One of the things that always bothered me about Episode 4 is why Leia's ship was captured instead of being blown away. Wouldn't that have been simpler?

Rogue One gives us the backstory about the flaw and how Galen put it there on purpose. So, now Vader needs the plans that were sent in the transmission. They weren't just any plans to the Death Star. They were plans that explained the weakness and how to blow it up. Vader and the Empire need those plans so they can discover the weakness and correct it.

Things I loved:
1. Vader wrecking shop
2. Everyone dies
3. Walrus Man and Death Sentence Guy
4. Hammerhead Corvette ramming star destroyers
5. Someone having to fill out a job opening for Red 5.
6. Blue team in the spotlight
7. The gritty nature of the film
8. So happy that these characters have no connection to the Knights of Ren. I wonder if that was part of the re-shoot....because the TFA art work book makes for a clear case that they would.
9. The moral ambiguaty of the "good" guys.

Things I could have lived without:
1. The Tarkin CGI. Maybe it was worse because I saw it in 3D IMAX. I will see it again in normal 2D and maybe that will change my mind. I have to believe that is part of issue because there is such a big range of opinions on it.
2. The slimy tentacle thing in Saw's hideout. The result of that seemed unclear and poorly edited. Why would Bhodi still be locked up if the thing could detect the truth?
3. Most of the interaction with Saw. It seemed out of place.
Legal Custodian
AG
I really just want to watch that last Vader scene again
3rdGen2015
AG
I just want a high quality gif of the saber slowly igniting
4stringAg
AG
So as someone who is not familiar with all the side stories of Star Wars (i.e. Rebels) and just watched only the 7 films, will I understand this movie?

wangus12
AG
I loved how it went dark and I was anticipating a door opening, but having him just appear out of the blackness was 1000x better
Legal Custodian
AG
MemAg92 said:

So as someone who is not familiar with all the side stories of Star Wars (i.e. Rebels) and just watched only the 7 films, will I understand this movie?

Absolutely
AB2
AG
MemAg92 said:

Yes. There's a LOT going on in the first act that is somewhat confusing and disjointed. It comes together. Act 3 is so nails.
Jim01
AG
Yes you'll be fine. I have only watched the films and understood it all. Of course I don't know some of the minor backstories but you won't struggle to understand the plot or who is doing what.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MemAg92 said:

Yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12 said:

I loved how it went dark and I was anticipating a door opening, but having him just appear out of the blackness was 1000x better
Yep. Didn't we hear him breathing though? I honestly thought for a split second it was going to cut to credits right there. Then that saber ignited.

Nerd tears (metophorical) were shed.
AB2
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12 said:

Yep. Didn't we hear him breathing though? I honestly thought for a split second it was going to cut to credits right there. Then that saber ignited.

Nerd tears (metophorical) were shed.

I had grabbed my stuff and put the recliner down. Had my kid do the same. Music got me
BigTimeAlum
AG
Movie was fantastic. I thought they did a great job working the story into Ep 4.

Tarkin was slightly off. Leia was amazingly well done.
InternetFan02
AG
Updated Star Wars rankings:
Any movie with Harrison Ford
Rogue One

Prequels

I guess Han Solo ruined the rest of Star Wars for me because all I can think about is how weak and forgettable Cassian was and how the movie would have been so much better with some decent chemistry with the 2 main leads. "Give me that weapon, we can't trust you"...."No"....."oh okay"

The ****ing robot was the best character. Do we have a cute nickname for him yet - something like C3PO with a mean streak?

But overall was an excellent movie that nailed pretty much everything. Loved the ending.

The opening was a mess and I assume was part of the heavy edits. The opening prologue was completely useless. They must have added that later. That exact scene could have been used as Rey's backstory - young girl abandoned on remote planet. Casual fans like my Dad are going to think it's Rey at first.

Updated Star Wars female hotness rankings:

Natalie Portman
Felicity Jones - I could stare into her eyes all day
Daisy Ridley
Slave Leia
Pinata Man
Great movie - still liked Ep 7 better but very good.

I thought Tarkin cgi was great and Leia's was off some. Actually wished Leia was in it just a little more, explaining her rise to power maybe. Vader was fantastic. Did anyone think his voice sounded old? Loved the nod to Kenobi, that was very cool.

The war scenes are incredible. One of my favorite shots is when they show the ship coming out of lightspeed from the cockpit and then you see other ships around it come out of lightspeed. That shot was really well done.

My only real complaint - thought too much happened in final 10 minutes. The two main protagonists die, vader kicks butt and we see Leia. Wish that could have been drawn out some. I was hoping for a Vader vs. Jyn battle.
jokershady
AG
So good so good omg this was so ****ing good.

Can't wait to read this thread and see what I may have missed
Dro07
AG
I enjoyed it overall!
wangus12
AG
Not sure we needed to see Vader crush Jyn. She is absolutely no match for him
Ag Since 83
AG
At the theater for 2nd viewing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.