Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (spoilers and discussion)

236,380 Views | 1640 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
vwbug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like hearing the Collider crew's take. From tweets, I don't think Harloff is as crazy about Rogue One as some of the others at Collider
jabberwalkie09
AG
Pretty non-spoiler reviews. They both note that Vader is used sparingly and Stuckman notes it's around 4 minutes of screen time., and I'm still watching Stuckman's. Stuckman's is 15 minutes long.

Duncan Idaho
See you back in this thread Friday night
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
So take-aways from Stuckman were:
  • Characters- lack of development for Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang's characters specifically cited. While others worked. Also pertains to next topic.
  • Villains- Krennic is not as compelling as Vader, and reshoots feel like they were done to add in Vader and with knowledge that it was done sparingly to not take away from the new characters. Additionally, the CGI complaint pretty much confirms that it's Tarkin.
  • Pacing- mostly around the first act, and how they come together relating to the characters.

If I'm getting what they're implying, it sounds like the reshoots pertained mostly to the first act of the film. Additionally, regarding Stuckman's implication for the plans it almost certainly implies that we see the plans transmitted to the Tantive IV leading directly into Star Wars/ANH/Ep. IV.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Third review noting that lines in the trailers, are not in the movie. Also like what they say about lines. I'm kind of liking the idea that trailers aren't really giving away good lines.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Main points from Collider:

Drags a bit in the second act
Third act (and the ending) are apparently amazing
Straight up war movie
Best space battle since Jedi
Raving about K2SO (New droid)
The score is underwhelming
Whatever that CGI character that people keep referring to was the "only way" to do it Gotta be Tarkin
Some complaints about the lack of opening crawl

Overall, everyone liked it, but they all agree it's a movie you'll enjoy more the bigger fan you are. (As opposed to TFA which was made to appeal to everyone.)
vwbug
Stuckman's review says they addressed a flaw in Rogue One that star wars fans have complained about for years. What is he talking about? Maybe that stormtroopers actually can shoot with accuracy in rogue one?
TraditionsPD
AG
I think he is referring to why would the death star have an Achilles heel
jabberwalkie09
AG
nvm, I think traditions hit it.
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Worst thing in 2016? Oh come on. Drama Queen.
He's CLEARLY being facetious / joking about Trump.
The Collective
AG
80% on RT
TCTTS
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

If this CGI character is indeed Tarkin, it's like Ehrlich totally forgot that in ANH he destroyed an entire planet after Leia told him the location of what turned out to be a former rebel base on Dantooine. An entire planet with all inhabitants.
Ehrlich is talking about the filmmakers use of a dead person as a character as being unethical. I think that's a little extreme, but he kind of has a point in that they're ascribing a performance to someone who had no say so in the matter. It's this weird grey area in that that person isn't around to agree to be in the movie, yet they used him anyway.
TCTTS
AG
Definitely seeing a lot more sobering reactions now that actual reviews have hit. All I really care about is it being better than TFA, and it certainly sounds like it is.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

Ehrlich is talking about the filmmakers use of a dead person as a character as being unethical. I think that's a little extreme, but he kind of has a point in that they're ascribing a performance to someone who had no say so in the matter. It's this weird grey area in that that person isn't around to agree to be in the movie, yet they used him anyway.
That obviously wasn't clear to me, and now I can see that as an explanation. Though, while I understand that Disney/Lucasfilm owns the character, would they have to ask Peter Cushing's estate to use his likeness in a film?
TCTTS
AG
One would think so, but I honestly have no idea.
vwbug
If Vader is in in for as much as those review say - I'll be disappointed, he IS the empire.
vwbug
jabberwalkie09 said:

TCTTS said:

That obviously wasn't clear to me, and now I can see that as an explanation. Though, while I understand that Disney/Lucasfilm owns the character, would they have to ask Peter Cushing's estate to use his likeness in a film?
Won't be surprising to see many actors criticize this - they want to protect their jobs!
3rdGen2015
AG
They already used his likeness in the animated The Clone Wars series, could it be possible that they got the rights to use his likeness for future uses as well?
TCTTS
AG
Probably, yeah. I also wonder if there's a legal difference between cartoon likeness and (attempted) photo-real likeness.
jabberwalkie09
AG
That doesn't make sense to me, for one pretty big reason. A CGI character may have the likeness, but is no where the same as a real life actor to me.
vwbug
I have seen uncanny valley mentioned quite a bit when talking rogue one and specific characters.
TCTTS
AG
It's all about intent, though. They're intending him to be no different than a real, living actor.
vwbug
My prediction is it will still be outstanding.

Wish we could have a redo on the original prequels.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TCTTS said:

It's all about intent, though. They're intending him to be no different than a real, living actor.

Right I get that, but its not like actors suddenly would become unemployed either. It's still their likeness being used so someone is going to make money somewhere in the process.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Definitely seeing a lot more sobering reactions now that actual reviews have hit. All I really care about is it being better than TFA, and it certainly sounds like it is.

Seeing same. It seems fans of the universe like it and others are less enthusiastic. I wonder if it's the fact that maybe other reviewers were expecting to get "Star Wars". There is definitely something to the "pacing" concern - seems the middle of the movie suffers some.

For those curious about the score, here is an opinion from Slashfilm:
Quote:

Rey's theme and the closing bit are definitely better than anything in Michael Giacchino's Rogue One score, but somehow Rogue One is more consistently a good Star Wars score than John Williams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens. At some moments it feels like the music from Clone Wars or Rebels, borrowing bits from Williams' iconic Star Wars themes while making them their own.

Giacchino pulls at your emotions in his own signature way, and if you like his style, you will like what he does in his Rogue One compositions.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this a lot!
jabberwalkie09
AG
CJS4715 said:

TCTTS said:

Seeing same. It seems fans of the universe like it and others are less enthusiastic. I wonder if it's the fact that maybe other reviewers were expecting to get "Star Wars". There is definitely something to the "pacing" concern - seems the middle of the movie suffers some.

I think Collider mentioned it, and I think Stuckman mentioned it as well, that this is a film that appeals to fans more that the general audience. Where as TFA basically was loved by everyone because of the pretty safe story line, this is going to be a different take and while funny at times, is definitely a war film. That last bit is paraphrased from what was said in the Collider review.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

jabberwalkie09
AG
Tctts should enjoy this excerpt from The Independent's review:

Quote:

Nonetheless, what it lacks is any real originality. It seems more an act of homage to its predecessors than a film with a mind of its own. Whereas JJ Abrams's The Force Awakens managed to break new ground (in spite of featuring many of the original characters), Rogue One feels like a formulaic retread. It's rousing and entertaining but the force isn't really with it. You can't escape the dispiriting feeling that we've seen it all before.

I think it'll be interesting to revisit this after seeing it.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Seeing same. It seems fans of the universe like it
All I need to know. Since this includes most of us, the rest of the world can sod off for all I care
The Collective
AG
No spoilers... a review by someone introduced to the Star Wars Universe at the Rogue One premiere.
http://www.jewishjournal.com/keepingthefaith/item/rogue_one_my_introduction_to_star_wars
3rdGen2015
AG
That's really cool
wangus12
AG
One more freaking day
wangus12
AG

This was on the other thread.

I can't get it out of my head, but I want to see this scene with Vader and KS.

Duncan Idaho
With darth as Jay.

Snoochie pphhaaa boochie pphhaaa *****es

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.