Didn't someone here have some money stolen?

312,612 Views | 1196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
WatchOle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
I'm not at a place we im able to respond as thoroughly as I'd like (at a function with one of my kids) - I will later tonight however. I do want to make one point clear however: I can't recall a time where I, or any one associated with this site, ran cover for Damon. We didnt tamp down conversation about him nor did we prop him up in some unusual way. If something came up on this site, he was expected to answer for it like anybody else would.

Now, should we have taken some sort of different proactive steps with Damon, quite possibly. That seems like a more fair critique. That said, the things I was informed of regarding Damon were about his financial mistreatment of his closest friends here in real life. No one has come to me with an accusation of him grooming random posters here for legal work (and never actually doing that work). I had not heard of that until this thread.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Bocephus
AG
Ill like him until proven differently
DecadePlan
AG
dermdoc said:

drthoop said:

country said:

I can't believe this thread is still rolling. I'm not a big fan of jorts but dang. Does it make everyone feel better to continue to bash staff over him? What is the end game here? Do you guys want staff sued for your precieved lack of action? Do you want a formal apology pre-written in your own words so that it satisfies? Do you want them to shut down texags? I just can't get past 7 pages, most of which is directed at Brandon and other staff more than Damon.

I have stars still but I quit posting on varsity long ago for many more reasons than Damon. That place turned into the most cliquish place of know it alls I've ever seen. Completely changed from when it was created.
Could not have said it better my friend. Everything you said. I too still have my stars and was one of the original Varsity members but post very rarely due to the things you elude to. Had nothing to do with Damon.

Amen to both of y'all. And Beorne Gator.

And I think Brandon and staff do an excellent job handling a bunch of diverse and over the top personalities. And even *******s like me.

Some of us far longer than we deserve eh Doc? Love ya, old friend.

And Brandon, I know you're watching - I've had the honor to talk faith matters and life with you. I wish others spent time investing in the lives of other folks here. My life is richer knowing you, and knowing many of these crazies you've assembled under this very messy roof. It's a pastorship which few of us could imagine handling.
ArcticPenguin
About 10 yrs ago when a derogatory word for gay men was thrown around this site as often as the word sip, I got a personal phone call from Brandon after I posted a diatribe about it. The word is now sensored (it wasn't back then) and that has always stayed with me.

The only reason I post this story is to say, that even on a site as conservative as this one - Brandon took the time to hear my viewpoint and make a change. I don't think moderation is perfect and I have gotten banned for posting liberal views 100x tamer than the radical alt right views that get posted - but ownership does care.

Should folks know who mods are? Yes, they should - because it would explain the inconsistencies in moderation and more importantly the obvious biases that account for the inconsistencies.
aggielostinETX
AG
WatchOle said:

I'm not at a place we im able to respond as thoroughly as I'd like (at a function with one of my kids) - I will later tonight however. I do want to make one point clear however: I can't recall a time where I, or any one associated with this site, ran cover for Damon. We didnt tamp down conversation about him nor did we prop him up in some unusual way. If something came up on this site, he was expected to answer for it like anybody else would.

Now, should we have taken some sort of different proactive steps with Damon, quite possibly. That seems like a more fair critique. That said, the things I was informed of regarding Damon were about his financial mistreatment of his closest friends here in real life. No one has come to me with an accusation of him grooming random posters here for legal work (and never actually doing that work). I had not heard of that until this thread.

Pretty sure my thread is still searchable on varsity. Now I wasn't groomed per se, but he was definitely offering to help people with legal issues in public manner while his license was suspended.

I should have seen through him taking a case for $2k that most attorneys didn't want to handle. IIRC, It was a demand letter and then filling and getting ready for arbitration for that amount. That being said, it was sold as side work for him and favor for both of us. But he seemed like a respected member of the Texags crew and I was duped.
Bunk Moreland
Thanks for clarification. And I also don't think most here are looking for someone to blame(contrary to the thoughts of others). It's a unique situation that deserves to be brought to light and I think serves as a good reminder to all parties... Staff, 'internet friends' of his, and random posters alike. If there's any goal it's that this stuff doesn't happen again, and people like him don't abuse staff friendships, site friendships and internet mobs to potentially harm others in the TA community.

When I said it was a bad look thats all I meant. Given his exposure here over the years and what many have seen regarding how he was treated discussing normal topics much less his criminal issues, there was a problem.
Rusty GCS
AG
This site isn't perfect but everything good from this site starts at the top. Brandon is as good of a person as you'll find. Has my full respect.

Edit to add Gabe to that also
DecadePlan
AG
Yes, they do care. I always used to get in trouble wandering into the wolf's lair (Politics) but this site has also had a LOT of growing pains since its birth in 99. Hard to believe we're almost 20 years old. And even us cranky old libs still find our place in these parts.

Thanks for sharing your good word Arctic.
dermdoc
AG
Good post. The problem is a lot of this is hindsight. Until recently, nobody knew how bad Damon had really gotten and how broad of a path he blazed. He was good at what he did.

I just do not think anybody was "covering for him" or there was this grand conspiracy. I am sure I will be fooled again:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BohunkAg
AG
drthoop said:

Seems like people want someone to blame. Nobody forced me to give Damon money. Yep, I'm one of the people he got money from. I did it of my own free will. Didn't have a gun held to my head. Luckily it wasn't anywhere close to the amount a lot of folks are out. But I'm the one that is ultimately to blame for what I lost. Not even Damon. I could have said no.
Posting info to "warn people" would bring up the whole "slander can of worms".
Not Texags fault. Not anyone else who was taken's fault. And not really Damon's fault. It was my fault for being taken in.
That said, yes, Damon is a sorry excuse for a human, but he is what he is. I think society has forgotten how to think and when something goes wrong loves to play the victim and blame someone else.

This is sort of my point. I'm glad Hoop said it. It's not Brandon's job to look out for all his subscribers. And it's not like he forces anyone to subscribe. The amount of entitlement on this thread is mind boggling.
Redstone
AG
Brandon, serious question:
more than a few posters, and certainly myself, have been very confused by moderation. A lot of this challenge is obviously human, difficult, subjective.

How could there be more transparency?
WatchOle
Staff
AG
We meet about this very topic last Monday and are working toward introducing layers of transparency. We are mapping out what that looks like still, so not ready for any specific details yet.

We've made huge strides on the content side of our business but that time and effort has come at the expense of tending to the needs of the community. Fixing that is my number one priority in '19.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Post removed:
by user
DifferenceMaker Ag
drthoop said:

Seems like people want someone to blame. Nobody forced me to give Damon money. Yep, I'm one of the people he got money from. I did it of my own free will. Didn't have a gun held to my head. Luckily it wasn't anywhere close to the amount a lot of folks are out. But I'm the one that is ultimately to blame for what I lost. Not even Damon. I could have said no.

Yep.

Life lesson: Whenever you "loan" money to a friend (internet, in-person or next door neighbor) be aware of the fact that there's about a 90% chance that it's a gift, not a loan.

Posting info to "warn people" would bring up the whole "slander can of worms".
Not Texags fault. Not anyone else who was taken's fault. And not really Damon's fault. It was my fault for being taken in.

Agree and disagree.

I was never aware that Damon was doing this to people, and it sickens me. Like most people around here, I have always considered him to be a harmless jokester who had a crudely entertaining sense of humor. Now that this has come out, the least that staff could have done would have been to serve up a perma and to have remained diligent on any socks that sprung up to protect the majority on this site who were oblivious to his actions. That is the responsible thing to do, and it doesn't require a single word of justification from staff to anyone.

As for accepting your part of the blame, you are obviously a gentleman, and you have undoubtedly endured your fair share of life lessons through the years. But make no mistake, Damon is a scumbag who has dug himself into a 1000 foot well. Good luck trying to climb out of that.

That said, yes, Damon is a sorry excuse for a human, but he is what he is. I think society has forgotten how to think and when something goes wrong loves to play the victim and blame someone else.

I blame midgets for this. I am not sure how, but I am certain that midgets have played a major role in this.
DecadePlan
AG
I wish we could star rate staff. Guess I'll do it the old fashioned way
aggielostinETX
AG

[As touchy as this subject is the posters on this thread have remained respectful towards each other and we would like for it to remain that way. -Staff]
aggielostinETX
AG
WatchOle said:

We meet about this very topic last Monday and are working toward introducing layers of transparency. We are mapping out what that looks like still, so not ready for any specific details yet.

We've made huge strides on the content side of our business but that time and effort has come at the expense of tending to the needs of the community. Fixing that is my number one priority in '19.

I think this will help things immensely
quanah
Rudyjax said:

Aggie1199 said:

Always wondered why this loser was on the fan show .

This thread provides the answer.

He's a friend of the owner/CEO. And he's hilarious.

I've never seen any funny posts from this jorts guy. Someone using the laugh/cry face every time they post doesn't make them hilarious, in fact it's usually the opposite.
BohunkAg
AG

There's no need for name calling. Absolutely none. I don't appreciate it.
BohunkAg
AG
Nm
Rusty GCS
AG
Quote:

But when he's aware that a pseudo associate that he is using to produce content is using his site to defraud others

Damon has taken advantage of people but do you know that Brandon knew he was using the site to do it? Because reading his responses it doesn't.

Damon took money from people here (including myself) through personal relationships. I don't blame Texags because I met Damon via a Mercy Project contest. I don't blame Mercy Project. I don't blame anybody but myself and Damon.
aggielostinETX
AG
Well I posted a thread in 2014 in Varsity so I am pretty sure he knew.
dermdoc
AG
bad bull
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggielostinETX
AG
BohunkAg
AG
BohunkAg
AG

aggielostinETX
AG

Rusty GCS
AG
I remember the thread. It was when I learned about Damon's other side. I had only seen the "persona". It was a moving enough moment that I remember where I was sitting at my desk at work.

But didn't that thread eventually have you getting paid and kind of a water under the bridge ending? If not, sorry for misremembering.
BohunkAg
AG
Nm
Ol Jock 99
AG
This is turning into a sheet show between folks who should be on the same side.

Jorts would approve.
Ragoo
AG
Aggies do not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.

Sounds like a whole lot of tolerating has been going on.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have said I got paid in every post. Others did not.
2006EE
AG
This is why we can't have nice things.
2006EE
AG
I feel like texting a group to talk ***** Anyone know of a text group that talks **** and uses it to gang up on people?
BohunkAg
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

This is turning into a sheet show between folks who should be on the same side.

Jorts would approve.

Bill, the gist of my posts were intended to say that folks who were accused of sticking up for Damon got burned too. The gist of some other people's posts seems to be to crap on everyone else.

And then I start getting called names and obviously there is a discussion going on somewhere else about this thread. It's all stupid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.