Didn't someone here have some money stolen?

312,585 Views | 1196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
piag94 said:

2 and 3 are a joke. No the mods just want to hide behind their username and just want to be the internet tough guy...

Because there are definitely not any sociopaths on Texags to be wary of.
bobbranco
AG
Tecolote said:

bobbranco said:

Tecolote said:

bobbranco said:

Redstone said:

So we have at least a couple first-hand accounts of TexAgs connection for retainer payment, which may or may not be solicitation ( I don't know), and who reported / knew what when issues.
Second, the well-articulated issues with moderation / transparency.

Brandon, again, I absolutely have respect for you, and admiration for the building of a great site, but these 2 situations here are not just serious but require a comprehensive reckoning.
Please stop.
He's right on point.
You should also stop.
You first.
You should start a new thread about moderation with your BB Redstone.
2006EE
AG
third coast.. said:

i have a long and well documented beef with her, but she is not a mod, and that came straight from brandons mouth. i do believe, however, that she has the ear of someone with moderation power. that is all i will say on that matter.
I'm guessing it isn't all you will say.

She has no more ears than you or I do.
JAG03
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

What is the reason that moderators are kept cloaked in anonymity?

That has been my #1 problem with this site and the reason I am close to no longer being a paid member.

A moderator who hands out temp or permanent bans should at least own it, not be some mysterious/unknown entity. The anonymity fosters a lot of distrust and feelings that mods do things with personal vendettas.

I'll never understand the reason for them to be anonymous.
David_Puddy
AG
I'm another one late to the party on this one and not sure why I'm just now clicking on this thread. I am one of those who loaned him money. I'm not going to go into the story that I got, but it was only $300, so I sent it and never gave it another thought. Call me naive, or I guess I'd like to think that I have a life outside of these boards, but I never knew about the previous arrests or legal issues. I remember the thread started asking people to pray for him, but it didn't have much detail and so I knew that he was likely in a bad situation.

Over the years at several A&M away games he was more than generous about paying for drinks whenever I would run into him. Including one time at Jerry World where we pretty much watched the entire 2nd half from the club section, in which he picked up the entire tab for both me and a buddy of mine. So I figure that I probably owe him more than he owes me. I feel bad for those owed money for legal services or otherwise. I pray for his kids and hope that he gets the help that he needs. I never knew it was this bad. He texted me earlier this month discussing the Cowboys, Aggies, etc, but didn't ask me for any money. I tried my best to encourage him as much as possible. This post isn't to defend him, especially with some of the posts that I read from others on this thread, but hopefully he can get his life back on track for himself and his family. Sounds like that will only happen with a long stint in rehab as well as some counseling.
BoerneGator
AG
Redstone said:

So we have at least a couple first-hand accounts of TexAgs connection for retainer payment, which may or may not be solicitation ( I don't know), and who reported / knew what when issues.

Brandon, again, I absolutely have respect for you, and admiration for the building of a great site, but these 2 situations here are not just serious but require a comprehensive reckoning.
You seem to be forgetting this is an internet message board, and not a courtroom. Ever hear the term "hearsay"?
Maybe you need to take a break?

As for "reckoning"? What do yo think THIS is?
Post removed:
by user
Reed McDonald 92
AG
I'm here to say that he took $1000 from me, too.
I had a legitimate case against a plumber who destroyed my bathroom.
Then Damon "Jorts" Robertson added insult to injury.

Aggies neither lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.
Boo Weekley
2006EE said:

third coast.. said:

i have a long and well documented beef with her, but she is not a mod, and that came straight from brandons mouth. i do believe, however, that she has the ear of someone with moderation power. that is all i will say on that matter.
I'm guessing it isn't all you will say.

She has no more ears than you or I do.
So it's just a coincidence then? It is no secret (esp on pol forum) that the quickest way to commit "suicide by mod" is to directly engage with her in a manner that offends or upsets her. Maybe a certain mod has a crush on her and white knights for her unbeknownst to her? That is another plausible theory I had not thought of. Either she is a mod, has a mod's ear, or a mod has a crush on her and/or "looks out for her", or it's just a magical string of coincidences.

Anyways, don't want to derail any further. Carry on.
aggielostinETX
AG
BoerneGator said:

Redstone said:

You seem to be forgetting this is an internet message board, and not a courtroom. Ever hear the term "hearsay"?
Maybe you need to take a break?

As for "reckoning"? What do yo think THIS is?

Hearsay: the report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

1st hand accounts are not hearsay.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
RCR06 said:

There was a moderator ***** session on the outdoor board a month ago. Many posting on this thread were over there, but many more probably were not. It's kind of funny that the same things people were complaining about on the OB are being complained about here. https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3007598/2

In that thread Brandon's response to why moderators aren't public is below. Many didnt agree, but he listed his reasoning.

WatchOle said:

Three main reasons:

1. I want moderators to be able to participate on the forums as normal posters without the social burden of being a moderator.

2. I want moderators to moderate based on policy and not based community pressure.

3. I want moderators to be free on real world retribution by disgruntled community members.

His business to run how he sees fit. But I already refuse to go over to the Men's Baskerball forum because whoever is the mod there is a tool with a clear agenda.

Redstone
AG
I defined it. The transparency of public mods.
Eric Forman
AG
Brandon has a point about protecting mods from real world retribution. To choose between having a bad experience on a website versus real world bad experiences, the choice is simple. That said, it does open it up for mod abuse. If there is policy and that policy is supposedly taken seriously but there is no accountability that mods can face, then the abuse will continue. Either put a method in place to ensure the policy is adhered to by mods, or noone will take the claim seriously that the policy is taken seriously. However, the bottom line is that TA can do what they want as long as they provide access to the site which they pay for... and if a user isn't paying for it, there's no obligation of anything.

That's why I choose not to pay for the service and I expect nothing... I'm never disappointed.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Give the mods numbers or unique IDs. And when they edit/remove a post, the mod ID is placed in the edit or removal for the board to see. That way if one mod is singling out specific topics or posters, we can have a legitimate gripe to go to someone with.
Guitarsoup
AG
Reed McDonald 92 said:

I'm here to say that he took $1000 from me, too.
I had a legitimate case against a plumber who destroyed my bathroom.
Then Damon "Jorts" Robertson added insult to injury.

Aggies neither lie, cheat or steal nor tolerate those who do.

Boo Weekley
David_Puddy said:

Sounds like that will only happen with a long stint in rehab as well as some counseling.
Yep...this can do absolute wonders...many of us have seen it first hand. I just hope he never thinks he can't dig himself out of this and become a better person.
Leeman
Deats said:

Hearsay: the report of another person's words by a witness, which is usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law.

Would you happen to know where we can get good legal advice on this ?
trouble
AG
They need all paid mods with the size this community is now.
aggielostinETX
AG
Leeman said:

Deats said:

Would you happen to know where we can get good legal advice on this ?

I would know where not to go.
Tex100
AG
wadd96 said:

I had a couple of calls asking for $10K while he waited for a "big settlement." I politely declined.
Is he a Nigerian prince?
Redstone
AG
First-hand accounts with paper trails are not only not hearsay, they are the most prized testimony possible.
aggielostinETX
AG
Redstone said:

First-hand accounts with paper trails are not only not hearsay, they are the most prized testimony possible.

Email is a paper trail right?
Tmoneyag99
AG
nactownag said:

I wish I could understand the reasons for having private moderators...can anyone think of a good explanation?

It sure seems like the internet agrees that public moderators is pretty standard practice.
Just spit ballin' here:

Most of the internet are people that are far and wide. Here Aggies are a close community and if I permabanned someone (not a mod) and they got mad, they could find me pretty easily and actually get to me.

just a thought.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
third coast.. said:

He should have never been permitted back around these parts after the initial revelation of fraud was brought up. Why are you defending him being here. He's a dumpster human who has in no way done anything to cause anyone to defend him. Brandon admitted it was a known issue. You have been involved in the sane conversations I have where loads of people have admitted he's a lowlife scammer. Don't protect him or staff. Jesus Christ.
I am very disappointed that only the Varsity-level subscribers were aware of Jorts' habit of stealing from fellow Ags. I guess I can tell my wife that she was right about Damon Robertson.
Redstone
AG
It really isn't that difficult: no perma without Brandon, who's been public at a major intersection for some time now, hopefully with excellent security.

Permas can be necessary obviously. It's just odd that a private mod could issue one, for reasons very well articulated on this thread.
aggielostinETX
AG
Reed McDonald 92 said:

third coast.. said:

He should have never been permitted back around these parts after the initial revelation of fraud was brought up. Why are you defending him being here. He's a dumpster human who has in no way done anything to cause anyone to defend him. Brandon admitted it was a known issue. You have been involved in the sane conversations I have where loads of people have admitted he's a lowlife scammer. Don't protect him or staff. Jesus Christ.
I am very disappointed that only the Varsity-level subscribers were aware of Jorts' habit of stealing from fellow Ags. I guess I can tell my wife that she was right about Damon Robertson.

You and me both...
WatchOle
Staff
AG
This thread is going all over the place. I'm working on a response and I'm going to lock this until I can get it completed.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Rudyjax
AG
I think overall they do a good job.

The only issues are when they make a thread disappear and then get angry at someone who didn't see the thread previously post it and then they seek retribution.

WatchOle
Staff
AG
TexAgs,

I don't feel the need to defend Damon other than to say I want good things for him. And for me that's this: I hope he gets the help he needs, I hope he is able to face his deeds head-on and repent, and I hope he is someday reconciled with his family, his boys, and the people here that he has injured.

I think many here would agree, Damon wasn't always the guy in the mugshot at the top of this thread. He was an obnoxious personality for sure, but he was endearing at the same time and seemed to generally care for others. There are numerous posters here that considered (and still consider) him a friend. That wasn't because of what he posted here but because of the many personal interactions over the years. Damon was a good guy with a big heart, and he created a lot of real-life friendships with TexAgs others on this site.

Most of us knew of troubles for Damon in his personal life: His first marriage falling apart (and then his second), his drinking to excess, etc. I wasn't aware of everything that was going on because he would let me know only what he wanted me to know. He probably did this with numerous friends, only letting them in on parts of his story that were advantageous.

The best I can remember, Damon and I were in good personal standing into 2013. In fact, I encouraged a family member to use him for legal counsel toward the beginning of that year. They did and Damon performed the legal work he was retained to do. However, in 2014 things seemed to fall off a cliff for Damon - it came to light that he was busted for running drugs and some money-related problems with a couple posters surfaced. It's at that point sometime late 2014 that I began to create some distance, personally and professionally. It's quite possible (and likely) this type of stuff was going on for some time before 2014, but I was not aware of it.

I say all the above to help make this point: Damon wasn't always what can now be captured in an arrest report. We can all see now how far he has fallen and how deep his transgressions go. If I knew things were headed to this (or even on this road), I would have never been involved with Damon nor allowed him to be involved with this site.

With that, here is an accounting of what I knew about Damon and how he was involved with TexAgs over the years:

Damon was contributor to TexAgs Radio via the fan show segment starting in 2009 (when it was only a podcast) and ending in 2014. He was removed from TexAgs Radio in response to our new awareness of these issues.

Damon was a volunteer junior moderator from 2009 until August 2017. He was recruited to moderate because we needed someone familiar with the Rivalries forum. As a junior level moderator he only had permissions to remove/edit topics and posts. He never had the ability to ban/warn/reinstate users. He moderated Rivalries, General, and Texas A&M Football initially and expanded to all forums (but not Varsity) in 2013. He was demoted back down to only Rivalries in early 2016 and removed altogether as a moderator in August 2017. Most of Damon's moderation occurred before 2014 and his participation fell off considerably after that. For example, he moderated a total of 4 posts in 2016.

At no time did Damon have access to personal information of users. His involvement with TexAgs was limited to his TexAgs Radio contributions and his volunteer moderating. Damon was never an employee or paid staff of TexAgs.

As of Saturday, Damon's account has been permanently suspended and all subscription levels removed. He will not be allowed back here until he has fully reconciled with users he has defrauded and otherwise injured.

What I knew (to best of my recollection):

2013 Damon was a handful, but I fully trusted him into 2013.

2013 Later in the year I learned that Damon had been arrested for drug possession.

2014 In October, a topic appeared on Varsity in which the OP accused Damon of scamming him for $1,200. The OP had retained Damon for legal work but a) Damon did not perform in a timely manner, and b) Damon's law license was suspended due to the drug-related charge mentioned above. Damon came on and posted a lengthy confession in which he admitted the drug-related charge, his financial troubles, his disbarment, and claimed that the work had started before his disbarment and that the work in question was being pursued by another firm. He claimed he was too embarrassed to tell the OP previously but confessed to all on Varsity. I left the thread open until all felt like they were heard and most, at the time, seemed satisfied with his response. The OP reached out to inform me that the matter had been resolved and asked me to remove the thread.

2014 On the same day as above, a Varsity user reached out to me and informed me that they too were in conflict with Damon concerning money taken for legal representation. The user wasn't interested in bringing it to forums. In hindsight I should have pushed them to do so or done it on their behalf. At the very least, I should have circled back around and checked in on what Damon was doing to remedy this. This situation is still unreconciled.

2015 thru 2016 I don't recall any significant contact with Damon or topics discussing his offsite behavior. No one contacted me about inappropriate behavior on or through the site. I didn't have any personal contact with him (other than maybe a few texts) and he wasn't around much at all. I was hoping he was busy getting his life together.

2017 A user pulled me aside at our annual kick-off function and shared how Damon had fallen further into substance abuse and was leading this user's family member down the same path. This user also described another family loaning Damon money and money not being paid back. I sent an email at the event to our lead tech requesting that all moderation permissions still in effect be removed.

2018 I had no meaningful contact with Damon nor was I privy to his whereabouts or dealings. No one contacted me about inappropriate behavior on or through the site.

2019 A thread was started on Old Rivalries linking to a new arrest report. Some users described numerous other users being scammed by Damon through this site. This thread was left open for a full discussion. That other users had apparently been defrauded was new information to me.

To my knowledge, the admin and moderators on this site have not suppressed any discussion of Damon's behavior. If someone believes that we have, please speak up and offer examples. There are also references to users discussing the many people that Damon has misled and/or defrauded. If that discussion did happen, I'm not aware of it happening here on these forums nor did these users bring it to my attention.

Damon formed personal relationships on this site and other places (like Facebook, etc). How he cultivated those relationships and what he did offline was his own doing and we were not aware of it, other than what has been described above. His online persona was something he created and many persons were attracted to that. We are not in the business of knowing, nor do we have the ability to know, what those who post here do in their private lives unless they share it publicly or unless they are brought to our attention by other users.

I'll close by restating that Damon is not allowed back onto the site unless and until he is fully reconciled with the posters here. I wish him the best in his attempts to get his life together and I hope that he is successful in doing so.

Brandon
BohunkAg
AG
tl;dr
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

the only issue I've ever had with a moderator was hysterical but also pathetic.

I was banned for calling someone a name.
only problem was, I didn't call that poster any name. the moderator made a mistake. and to compound the mistake, they upheld the 24 or 48 hr ban (I forget how long) and made reinstatement conditional upon me promising not to do it again. something I didn't do.

anonymity made this possible imho.

I remember that... You caught my ban

God that was hilarious
staticdoor
AG
Excellent post by Brandon; not necessary or owed but genuinely appreciate the timeline
drthoop
AG
WatchOle said:

TexAgs,

I don't feel the need to defend Damon other than to say I want good things for him. And, for me that's this: I hope he gets the help he needs, I hope he is able to face his deeds head-on and repent, and I hope he is someday reconciled with his family, his boys, and the people here that he has injured.

I think many here would agree, Damon wasn't always the guy in the mugshot at the top of this thread. He was a obnoxious personality for sure, but he was endearing at the same time and seemed to generally care for others. There are numerous posters here that considered (and still consider) him a friend. That wasn't because of what he posted here, but because of the many personal interactions over the years. Damon was a good guy, with a big heart and he created a lot of real-life friendships with TexAgs others on this site.

Most of us knew of troubles for Damon in his personal life: His first marriage falling apart (and then his second), his drinking to excess, etc. I wasn't aware of everything that was going on because he would let me know only what he wanted me to know. He probably did this with numerous friends only letting them in on parts of his story that were advantageous.

The best I can remember, Damon and I were in good personal standing into 2013. In fact, I encouraged a family member to use him for legal counsel toward the beginning of that year. They did and Damon performed the legal work he was retained to do. However, in 2014 things seemed to fall off a cliff for Damon when it came to light that he busted for running drugs and some money related problems with a couple posters surfaced. It's at that point sometime late 2014 - that I began to put some distance between Damon personally and professionally. It's quite possible (and likely) this type of stuff was going for some time before 2014, but I was not aware of it.

I say all the above to help make this point: Damon wasn't always what can now be captured in an arrest report. We can all see now how far he has fallen and how deep his transgressions go. If I knew things were headed to this (or even on this road), I would have never been involved with Damon nor allowed him to be involved with this site.

With that, here is an accounting of what I knew about Damon and how he was involved with TexAgs over the years:

Damon was contributor to TexAgs Radio via the fan show segment starting in 2009 (when it was only a podcast) and ending in 2014.

Damon was a volunteer junior moderator from 2009 until August 2017. He was recruited to moderate because we needed someone familiar with Rivalries forum. As a junior level moderator he only had permissions to remove/edit topics and posts. He never had the ability to ban/warn/reinstate users. He moderated Rivalries, General, and Texas A&M Football initially and expanded to all forums (but not Varsity) in 2013. He was demoted back down to only Rivalries in early 2016 and removed all together as a moderator in August 2017. Most of Damon's moderation occurred before 2014 and his participation feel off considerably after that. For example, he moderated a total of 4 posts in 2016.

At no time did Damon have access to personal information of users. His involvement with TexAgs was limited to his TexAgs Radio contributions and his volunteer moderating. Damon was never an employee or paid staff of TexAgs.

As of Saturday, Damon account has been permanently suspended and all subscription levels removed. He will not be allowed back here until he has fully reconciled with users he has defrauded and otherwise injured.

What I knew (to best of my recollection):

2013 Damon was a handful, but I fully trusted him into 2013.

2013 Later in the year I learned that Damon had been arrested for drug possession.

2014 In October, a topic appeared on Varsity in which the OP accused Damon of scamming him for $1200. The OP had retained Damon for legal work but a) Damon did not perform in a timely manner and b) Damon had had his license suspended due to the drug related charge above. Damon came on and posted a lengthy confession in which he admitted the drug related charge, his financial troubles, his disbarment, and claimed that the work had started before his disbarment and that the work in question was being pursued by another firm. He claimed he was too embarrassed to tell the OP previously but confessed to all on Varsity. I left the thread open until all felt like they were heard and most, at the time, seemed satisfied with his response. The OP reached out to inform me that the matter had been resolved and asked me to remove the thread.

2014 On the same day as above, a varsity user reached out to me and informed me that they too were in conflict with Damon concerning money taken in leu of legal representation. The user wasn't interested in bringing it to forums. In hindsight I should have pushed them to do so or done it on their behalf. At the very least, I should have circled back around and checked-in on what Damon was doing to remedy this. This situation is still unreconciled.

2015 thru 2016 I don't recall any significant contact with Damon or topics discussing his offsite behavior. No one contacted me about inappropriate behavior on or through the site. I didn't have any personal contact with him (other than maybe a few texts) and He wasn't around much at all. I was hoping he was busy getting his life together.

2017 A user pulled me aside at our annual kick-off function and shared how Damon had fallen further into substance abuse and was leading this user's family member down the same path. This user also described another family loaning Damon money and money not being paid back. I sent an email at the event to our lead tech requesting that all moderation permissions still in effect be removed.

2018 I had no meaningful contact with Damon nor was I privy to his whereabouts or dealings. No one contacted me about inappropriate behavior on or through the site.

2019 A thread was started on Old Rivalries linking to a new arrest report. Some users described numerous other users being scammed by Damon through this site. This thread was left open for a full discussion. That other users had apparently been defrauded was new information to me.

To my knowledge, the admin and moderators on this site have not suppressed any discussion of Damon's behavior. If someone believes that we have, please speak up and offer examples. There are also references to users discussing the many people that Damon has misled and/or defrauded. If that discussion did happen, I'm not aware of it happening here on these forums nor did these users bring it to my attention.

Damon formed personal relationships on this site and other places (like Facebook, etc). How he cultivated those relationships and what he did offline was his own doing and we were not aware of it, other than what has been described above. His online persona was something he created and many persons were attracted to that. We are not in the business of knowing, nor have the ability to know, what those who post here do in the private lives unless they share it publicly or unless they are brought to our attention by other users.

I'll close by restating that Damon is not allowed back onto the site unless and until he is fully reconciled with the posters here. I wish him the best in his attempts to get his live together and I hope that he is successful in doing so.

Brandon
Thank you Brandon.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
2006EE
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

the only issue I've ever had with a moderator was hysterical but also pathetic.

I was banned for calling someone a name.
only problem was, I didn't call that poster any name. the moderator made a mistake. and to compound the mistake, they upheld the 24 or 48 hr ban (I forget how long) and made reinstatement conditional upon me promising not to do it again. something I didn't do.

anonymity made this possible imho.

Stupidity made that possible.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
staticdoor said:

Excellent post by Brandon; not necessary or owed but genuinely appreciate the timeline
Well it is kind of necessary when someone gets arrested and has potential fraud accusations levied and has been involved with texags to know how much that involvement was and how much personal information he had.

That being said Thank you for post and explanation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.