Didn't someone here have some money stolen?

312,589 Views | 1196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
Redstone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brandon, thank you for not nuking this thread. Several TexAgs issues here to be recognized:

Posters of over a decade or so develop "reputations," as I have a clear one on Ent. Most of the time its really good, like titan knowing a lot about WWII history.
Well, jorts was funny as hell, had a great shiv for our rivals, and was a "lawyer." Clear reputation. Therefore, his longevity, creativity, AgTag, and 3 stars meshed into a blend of positivity for most posters/lurkers. Including legal questions.

With that, there were also lots of detailed complaints about his IRL conduct. There is some evidence over the years of "protection." Ok, that's fine......IF we know who the Mods are!

It's your sandbox, and you and your team should police as you see fit. I don't want the Perma hammer and so don't post on a certain topic on Politics, as I was told to do. Fine.

But this clarity matters, for consistency, for accountability, for understanding better what's going on: who are the Mods?
drthoop
AG
wadd96 said:

I had a couple of calls asking for $10K while he waited for a "big settlement." I politely declined.
Amazing how well that works huh?
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
BoerneGator
AG
When someone shows you "who" they are, believe them!

And with regards to "retribution", as it concerns Brandon and TexAgs, be reminded that "hindsight is 20-20..."

That said, cliques and mob mentality are a staple of internet message boards (so I'm told).
TooCold
S
staticdoor said:

TooCold said:

Charpie said:

Partly because if you dated speak out about him, his "friends" would show up to defend him.

Incredibly ironic post is incredibly ironic.
Seems there is a difference between being internet defended and being doxxed in real life because of message board slight.

She was talking about this occurring on the boards. You know it, I know it and everyone who is paying attention knows it. And...as I pointed out, she's a hypocrite for saying it.

Now, if she wants to come back and say, "no, I you talked crap about him, his band of internet defenders would immediately show up at you doorstep, tp your yard, send emails to your boss and try to steal your identity", then I might reconsider my accusation of hypocrisy, but that would be a little ridiculous.
Rudyjax
AG
Yikes. Never trust the guy that gets the $60 lap dance in T.J.
wadd96
AG
Oh, don't worry... There were less than polite words went his way in September after he came out of his (own doing) coma. The emotional betrayal really hurt me, but more importantly my wife.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Ol Jock 99
AG
third coast, Charpie, Fischer, and trouble...y'all fighting is cracking me up because y'all are all on the same team re this issue.

Hopefully this episode has cured folks of thinks all aggies are as pure of the driven snow whilest all sips are dirty evil backbiters. I know quite a few sips I'd trust over a goodly number of Aggies.
quanah
How did he end up in a coma?
bobbranco
AG
See wadd96 post on page 4
wadd96
AG
Ddp
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Guitarsoup
AG
quanah said:

How did he end up in a coma?

Intentional overdose on Oxy
dermdoc
AG
drthoop said:

country said:

I can't believe this thread is still rolling. I'm not a big fan of jorts but dang. Does it make everyone feel better to continue to bash staff over him? What is the end game here? Do you guys want staff sued for your precieved lack of action? Do you want a formal apology pre-written in your own words so that it satisfies? Do you want them to shut down texags? I just can't get past 7 pages, most of which is directed at Brandon and other staff more than Damon.

I have stars still but I quit posting on varsity long ago for many more reasons than Damon. That place turned into the most cliquish place of know it alls I've ever seen. Completely changed from when it was created.
Could not have said it better my friend. Everything you said. I too still have my stars and was one of the original Varsity members but post very rarely due to the things you elude to. Had nothing to do with Damon.

Amen to both of y'all. And Beorne Gator.

And I think Brandon and staff do an excellent job handling a bunch of diverse and over the top personalities. And even *******s like me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Charpie
AG
How about spreading lies about you to multiple friends after thinking that we were friends? I'm thankful that I was made aware of it by real life friends and a co worker who had no idea I posed on texags
dermdoc
AG
goodAg80 said:

I don't think anyone here has the right to be sanctimonious about the situation.

Unless you knew exactly what happened, you should not be calling out others.

Most of us only knew him as a merry jokester who liked to talk smack to our rivals. He never scammed us. He never imposed on us. IMO he wasn't just posting to scam people. However it looks like his demons took over and he opportunistically took advantage of individuals. Bernie Madoff was much more egregious and got away with it for decades. This is not a defense of what he did in any way, just highlighting that is not always obvious about what is going on.

So lighten up on criticizing anyone who had some suspicions, most probably handled it the best they knew how.

And another amen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
dermdoc said:

goodAg80 said:

I don't think anyone here has the right to be sanctimonious about the situation.

Most of us only knew him as a merry jokester who liked to talk smack to our rivals. He never scammed us. He never imposed on us. IMO he wasn't just posting to scam people. However it looks like his demons took over and he opportunistically took advantage of individuals. Bernie Madoff was much more egregious and got away with it for decades. This is not a defense of what he did in any way, just highlighting that is not always obvious about what is going on.

So lighten up on criticizing anyone who had some suspicions, most probably handled it the best they knew how.

And another amen.

He lied, cheated, and stole from a number of my friends. His merry jokester ability isn't worth a spit to me. Amen and amen.
dermdoc
AG
I kind of like it when people spread lies about me. It's got to beat the truth.
aggielostinETX
AG
dermdoc said:

goodAg80 said:

And another amen.

Pretty sure a few of us can be sanctimonious about this.
trouble
AG
People lie and say you are nice though.
dermdoc
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

dermdoc said:

goodAg80 said:

And another amen.

He lied, cheated, and stole from a number of my friends. His merry jokester ability isn't worth a spit to me. Amen and amen.
Cool. And I agree. I just do not like bashing folks who are not face to face with me. Or Texags staff for a poster's behavior. With the exception of sips. And liberal politicians.
dermdoc
AG
Deats said:

dermdoc said:

goodAg80 said:

And another amen.

Pretty sure a few of us can be sanctimonious about this.
Sure you can. And exactly what good does that do?
Bunk Moreland
Pretty hilarious the turnaround here the last hour by some.

Quote:

You don't get to claim to be a victim if you got e-butthurt on the message boards. You just don't.

Who, other than actual victims have claimed to be a victim on this thread? Stop making up false arguments.

Quote:

Does it make everyone feel better to continue to bash staff over him? What is the end game here? Do you guys want staff sued for your precieved lack of action?

No. But as clearly shown on this thread, active users on TA for years (longer than jorts) have seen his rise and now fall and have had zero knowledge that for a period of multiple years he had scammed other texags users. My response would be why are you trying to quiet this down? It's an awareness situation that led to further posters on the site being taken advantage of, so why does it bother you that people are just now becoming aware and reacting?

Quote:

I just do not like bashing folks who are not face to face with me. Or Texags staff for a poster's behavior.

This is the internet. For 99% of people on texags, face to face doesn't become a thing. Pretty sanctimonious to sit behind that if you're actually upset about people wondering how this went on so long while staff (whoever, maybe not Brandon though he said he considers him a friend, so I'd guess he knew enough) possibly failed to take steps to stop him or ban him after knowledge of what he'd done).

I think most of the shock and awe on this thread is warranted. The guy was all over texags living a double life. Staff and posters with knowledge did not stop him. Some posters with knowledge informed staff and other posters about him privately. Multiple victims of him have posted their 1st hand accounts that they were afraid to publicly post them on here due to that protection he received in the past by his minions. Others who tried had been doxxed by him, had family members doxxed by him or were harassed in their private life by him and his buddies (alleged on the thread).

Attempting to minimize this is ridiculous imo.

Nosh
TooCold said:

staticdoor said:

TooCold said:

Charpie said:

Partly because if you dated speak out about him, his "friends" would show up to defend him.

Incredibly ironic post is incredibly ironic.
Seems there is a difference between being internet defended and being doxxed in real life because of message board slight.

She was talking about this occurring on the boards. You know it, I know it and everyone who is paying attention knows it. And...as I pointed out, she's a hypocrite for saying it.

Now, if she wants to come back and say, "no, I you talked crap about him, his band of internet defenders would immediately show up at you doorstep, tp your yard, send emails to your boss and try to steal your identity", then I might reconsider my accusation of hypocrisy, but that would be a little ridiculous.

What are you babbling about?
Uncle Howdy
S
Nosh
Rusty GCS
AG
Quote:

Others who tried had been doxxed by him, had family members doxxed by him or were harassed in their private life by him and his buddies

I've never heard of anybody harassing anybody outside of these boards on Damon's behalf.
Charpie
AG
Indeed.

And to be clear, what we are really frustrated with is how we perceive this site seems to treat certain people.
country
AG
I'd suggest starting your own site if you truly feel that Brandon and Co were conspiring to keep Damon's actions from anyone. That's my point in all this even though I know it will echo in the chambers. I don't care if someone that was directly taken advantage of by Damon shares those stories in the slightest. I've already said I'm not his biggest fan. But to keep coming back to how horrible the ownership of Texags is just boggles my mind. Start a separate site and moderate how you see fit.
dermdoc
AG
country said:

I'd suggest starting your own site if you truly feel that Brandon and Co were conspiring to keep Damon's actions from anyone. That's my point in all this even though I know it will echo in the chambers. I don't care if someone that was directly taken advantage of by Damon shares those stories in the slightest. I've already said I'm not his biggest fan. But to keep coming back to how horrible the ownership of Texags is just boggles my mind. Start a separate site and moderate how you see fit.

Or just give up your subscription. And I agree, it truly does boggle the mind.
Al Bula
AG
It's crazy, sad and hilarious all at once that a deadbeat dad with suicidal tendencies and potentially homicidal tendencies was worshipped as a hero around here.

Hope whoever this jackass swindled, withheld money from and threatened with violence are taken care of and don't have to suffer any longer than legally necessary.

Seems completely merited to also question how this loser was able to stay active around here too.

The claim out there right now is this dude used the texags community as his own personal source of victims to prey upon, and kept his status and active account after some of it was discovered and reported.
Post removed:
by user
Aggie1199
Always wondered why this loser was on the fan show .
Rudyjax
AG
Aggie1199 said:

Always wondered why this loser was on the fan show .

This thread provides the answer.

He's a friend of the owner/CEO. And he's hilarious.
drthoop
AG
Seems like people want someone to blame. Nobody forced me to give Damon money. Yep, I'm one of the people he got money from. I did it of my own free will. Didn't have a gun held to my head. Luckily it wasn't anywhere close to the amount a lot of folks are out. But I'm the one that is ultimately to blame for what I lost. Not even Damon. I could have said no.
Posting info to "warn people" would bring up the whole "slander can of worms".
Not Texags fault. Not anyone else who was taken's fault. And not really Damon's fault. It was my fault for being taken in.
That said, yes, Damon is a sorry excuse for a human, but he is what he is. I think society has forgotten how to think and when something goes wrong loves to play the victim and blame someone else.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
dermdoc
AG
Blue star
DecadePlan
AG
nactownag said:

Breaks my heart. A few months back he asked me for money. Had a long story about how he was in Colorado and his bank shut down his card for security. He said he needed me to Venmo money. I suspected he needed money for drugs so I declined.

Damon has a good heart inside of him but his demons are real and it makes me so sad for his family.

Yes Nac. You, my brother, do get it. While his story may be heartbreaking, my heart is with the kind and generous group of real life friends I have on here who have been bilked, swindled or otherwise betrayed in this sordid story. We have so many gentle and forgiving souls here. That's why TexAgs will always be a home to me.

I choose, in the smoke of this broken place in the community many of us share, to turn my eyes to those of you who daily prove to be good and honest friends.

Nac, you are, as you always have been, one of those good people.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.