Didn't someone here have some money stolen?

312,595 Views | 1196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
End Of Message
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Pinche Abogado said:

Last point: for those that have been swindled, I recommend filing a grievance with the state bar of Texas.

I'm an attorney (and only generally familiar with this process), but the State Bar has a Client Security Fund for people who have been the victim of fraud by a practicing attorney.

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Client_Security_Fund1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=41945

Most of Damon's swindling was personal and not legal.

Calling for money because his bank account was frozen for one reason or another. Or do rounding he had money coming his way and just needed a stop gap loan to make it there.

Got it. Was under the impression most of this was related to him signing up a poster as a client, taking their money, and promptly ghosting them.
trouble
AG
He changed his mind though
trouble
AG
Howdy, precious. We need to snuggle on the couch soon.
T Durden
AG
So the people that gave him money...how does that happen?

A supposed successful attorney needs emergency venmo money to fix a flat tire or his credit card was lost...whatever the situation.

The stories were that believable that it made sense to wire thousands of dollars?

I can sort of understand the legal work angle. But if you really do need legal help aren't you going to get multiple referrals and do some vetting before spending a lot of money?

sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to understand it all.
trouble
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Rusty GCS said:

Pinche Abogado said:

Last point: for those that have been swindled, I recommend filing a grievance with the state bar of Texas.

I'm an attorney (and only generally familiar with this process), but the State Bar has a Client Security Fund for people who have been the victim of fraud by a practicing attorney.

https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Client_Security_Fund1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=41945

Most of Damon's swindling was personal and not legal.

Calling for money because his bank account was frozen for one reason or another. Or do rounding he had money coming his way and just needed a stop gap loan to make it there.

Got it. Was under the impression most of this was related to him signing up a poster as a client, taking their money, and promptly ghosting them.

There's some of that for sure so I'm glad you posted that link. I'm afraid more may come out than are already known.
dermdoc
AG
My problem is that my give a damn has been busted.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
C Loves L
trouble said:

He changed his mind though

Good.
Rusty GCS
AG
dermdoc said:

BohunkAg said:

Rusty GCS said:

C Loves L said:

Can we get a running list of people here defending him so that I know who's trashy and who's not?

Who has defended him? I haven't seen anybody.

People on the same side of the argument are arguing here somehow

It's like being at a coon ass family Christmas
Coonass is one word *******!

Only a true racist would write it as two words
trouble
AG
Keep in mind that a lot of the people who lent him money knew him in person for quite a while.

They were literally trying to help a friend get back on his feet. What they didn't know was that he had a web of **** going on. Most of what one person would lend him would go to partially payback someone else and on and on.
dermdoc
AG
T Durden said:

A supposed successful attorney needs emergency venmo money to fix a flat tire or his credit card was lost...whatever the situation.

The stories were that believable that it made sense to wire thousands of dollars?

I can sort of understand the legal work angle. But if you really do need legal help aren't you going to get multiple referrals and do some vetting before spending a lot of money?

Because good people, especially Ags, always want to help fellow Ags and generally assume the best of other Ags.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DecadePlan
AG
trouble said:

Howdy, precious. We need to snuggle on the couch soon.

*Increased heart rate*

Bunk Moreland
We've all seen American Greed haven't we? This is SOP for these types. It just sucks when it hits those you know or a community you participate in
ArcticPenguin
I think what happened to dermdoc was a huge reminder that newspaper and other media outlets do monitor these boards. If I remember correctly the Houston Chronicle picked it up and ran with it.

The broader issue is Ags using this site to hurt other Ags or honestly just other human beings regardless of affiliation. TA is a socal media site, and it is easy in a community we all feel comfortable in to forget that. I am no longer on Facebook and have never been on twitter. But, this is also social media - I have to remind myself of that from time to time.
trouble
AG
That's why I have to stock you on Instagram.
drthoop
AG
dermdoc said:

T Durden said:

Because good people, especially Ags, always want to help fellow Ags and generally assume the best of other Ags.

This.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Post removed:
by user
aggielostinETX
AG
dermdoc said:

T Durden said:

This was my case. I assumed he was a stand up dude due to his affiliation with Texags, helping out players and the way others interacted with him. But again, my fault for not actually asking anyone.
trouble
AG
And there's several who were here before it became "old" rivalries
trouble
AG
Even when others try to talk them out of it.

Hey, it's almost baseball season. I need to see your handsome face soon.
Post removed:
by user
T Durden
AG
Deats said:

dermdoc said:

T Durden said:

This was my case. I assumed he was a stand up dude due to his affiliation with Texags, helping out players and the way others interacted with him. But again, my fault for not actually asking anyone.

I think I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around someone doing this to what they believed were friends.
drthoop
AG
trouble said:

I'll be in Olsen for most if not all games.
trouble
AG
We're all with you on that.
aggielostinETX
AG
Me too man. I have never been in a situation like this before or since.
trouble
AG
We're hoping to make it to a bunch.
BohunkAg
AG
trouble said:

Handsome? This is Tom Hooper you are talking to right?
trouble
AG
You know I can't resist that magnificent stash
drthoop
AG
BohunkAg said:

trouble said:

Handsome? This is Tom Hooper you are talking to right?
I never did like you Bo.
DecadePlan
AG
I wish I realized, when I jumped that Obama comment so long ago, how cool I'd grow to know you to be. I have had my hypersensitivity days on this site. Knee jerk responses to posts never end up well. This thread is proof. Rusty and I argue politics all the time elsewhere but he's my brother and I'd do anything for him (except vote the same) Trouble is a real friend and couch cuddle buddy, and Doc and I share a priceless inaugural bobblehead award. I met EE in a Carrollton Chicken Express.

I'm not about to let a gross betrayal by a mutual "friend" steal what is good about this place. About the far reaching relationships that Brandon and Co have brought to my life.
dermdoc
AG
T Durden said:

Deats said:

dermdoc said:

T Durden said:

I think I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around someone doing this to what they believed were friends.
And that is why you are an Ag.
Redstone
AG
Arguing while mostly agreeing - with name-calling and staff edits on a high-profile thread about personal, serious IRL stuff - is possibly the most TexAgs thread that has ever happened.
IDAGG
AG
ArcticPenguin said:

I think what happened to dermdoc was a huge reminder that newspaper and other media outlets do monitor these boards. If I remember correctly the Houston Chronicle picked it up and ran with it.

The broader issue is Ags using this site to hurt other Ags or honestly just other human beings regardless of affiliation. TA is a socal media site, and it is easy in a community we all feel comfortable in to remember that. I am no longer on Facebook and have never been on twitter. But, this is also social media - I have to remind myself of that from time to time.
I agree. The politics board for instance is a wild place with some pretty heated discussions sometimes. I would hope that other Ags would not try to harm someone in real life because of a political disagreement (or any disagreement really).

And your warning that others outside of the Ags that post on here monitor posts is pretty concerning. I never thought of that. Naive, I suppose.
ArcticPenguin
trouble said:

That's why I have to stock you on Instagram.
shhhhhh....
DecadePlan
AG
trouble said:

And there's several who were here before it became "old" rivalries

True. Some of us were here when it was called "Tools You Can Make with Bronze"
trouble
AG
Don't worry. You are my secret

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.