Didn't someone here have some money stolen?

312,598 Views | 1196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're all old
McGibblets
AG
2006EE said:

WatchOle said:

Do you have an pull in that area?? If so, help a friend out.
Post of the day.

Snitches
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I don't know how many times I've actually time that or communicated in on the forums - but your larger point is taken.

Earlier in the post Redstone asked about transparency and here's what I said:

Quote:

We meet about this very topic last Monday and are working toward introducing layers of transparency. We are mapping out what that looks like still, so not ready for any specific details yet.

We've made huge strides on the content side of our business but that time and effort has come at the expense of tending to the needs of the community. Fixing that is my number one priority in '19.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
STX Ag
AG
2006EE said:

CDUB98 said:

Hood said:

2006EE said:

WatchOle said:

Post of the day.
Star this post if you agree with 2006EE.

I can't bring myself to go to places that dark.
Get bent.

Narcs
CDUB98
AG
STX Ag said:

2006EE said:

CDUB98 said:

Hood said:

2006EE said:

WatchOle said:

Post of the day.

Get bent.

Narcs

WTF are you talking about?

Unless you know us, and the reasons behind the banter, you can show yourself out.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
CDUB98 said:

STX Ag said:

2006EE said:

CDUB98 said:

Hood said:

2006EE said:

WatchOle said:

Post of the day.

Get bent.

Narcs

Unless you know us, and the reasons behind the banter, you can show yourself out.
Neon R
WatchOle said:

Hood said:

Brandon,

Since this has turned into a sort-of Q&A session (and apologies if you've answered this elsewhere) - what's the reasoning for anonymous moderating as SOP on Texags?
Three main reasons:

1. I want moderators to be able to participate on the forums as normal posters without the social burden of being a moderator.

Why? Why can't posters post and moderators moderate? Why do you want a system where someone can be debating a mod and the mod can memoryhole his comments or ban him arbitrarily?

Quote:

2. I want moderators to moderate based on policy and not based community pressure.

They don't. Mods ban people for random arbitrary stuff. And when pressed, they don't respond.

Quote:

3. I want moderators to be free on real world retribution by disgruntled community members.

Then let them moderate and not post.

Quote:

However, as posted above, we are going to make some changes to this. Maybe not as far as going completely known, but transparency layers will be added.

Hope so
agsalaska
AG
You posted it on the OB thread not too long ago and on Varsity back when I was a member. Your reason number three many of us have known for years.

I hope Mondays meeting is productive! Wish yall the best.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

kb2001
AG
Forum moderation is like becoming the game warden. As soon as you accept that role, you are basically done hunting, and your friends will start to avoid you. You can't do both
The Collective
AG
trouble said:

Have a feeling at this point Brandon would really, really like it if Billy Kennedy was fired this afternoon.

It would barely move the needle on here.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Quote:

Why? Why can't posters post and moderators moderate? Why do you want a system where someone can be debating a mod and the mod can memoryhole his comments or ban him arbitrarily?
I'm not going to go round and round with you on this - especially considering that I've been clear that we are making some changes.

However, the above happening is extremely rare. It's happened a handful of times in the 20 years of me doing this but that's about it and they were called out for doing it. Keep in mind that while moderator actions might be hidden from public view, those actions are not hidden from the administrators and other moderators and everyone knows that's a no, no.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
BoerneGator
AG
kb2001 said:

Forum moderation is like becoming the game warden. As soon as you accept that role, you are basically done hunting, and your friends will start to avoid you. You can't do both
Yeah, but like my dad taught me as a young un, the best game wardens were themselves outlaws in an earlier life. "Takes one to think like one!"
Neon R
WatchOle said:

Quote:

I'm not going to go round and round with you on this - especially considering that I've been clear that we are making some changes.

However, the above happening is extremely rare. It's happened a handful of times in the 20 years of me doing this but that's about it and they were called out for doing it. Keep in mind that while moderator actions might be hidden from public view, those actions are not hidden from administrator and other moderators and everyone knows that's a no, no.

It happens regularly. No one likes to get memoryholed.
Lt Lois Einhorn
Neon R said:

WatchOle said:

Hood said:

Brandon,

Since this has turned into a sort-of Q&A session (and apologies if you've answered this elsewhere) - what's the reasoning for anonymous moderating as SOP on Texags?
Three main reasons:

1. I want moderators to be able to participate on the forums as normal posters without the social burden of being a moderator.

Quote:

2. I want moderators to moderate based on policy and not based community pressure.

They don't. Mods ban people for random arbitrary stuff. And when pressed, they don't respond.

Quote:

3. I want moderators to be free on real world retribution by disgruntled community members.

Then let them moderate and not post.

Quote:

However, as posted above, we are going to make some changes to this. Maybe not as far as going completely known, but transparency layers will be added.

Hope so
I do think there is some inconsistent moderation that at times has pissed me off. However, there are more problems for volunteer moderators if they are known than if they continue to be anonymous. Brandon is dead on with his three points. And not allowing people to post anymore if they were moderators wouldn't work either unless he paid salaries for moderators. Then you'd have the problem of moderators from outside the Texags community versus people that know these boards. I don't think there's a better answer than the setup they have now. Maybe track how many bans are issued or be a bit more diligent in reading emails sent when people are unhappy about bans?
annie88
AG
I could never be a mod. There are a few posters that I would ban every other day just because I could.

So good thing I've never been nor never will be asked.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
I'm sorry Neon, no it does not. Moderators are not running around deleting posts on threads that they are actively debating on to prop up their argument or memoryhole other users.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
Neon R
Yea. That doesn't really answer the question- "why are moderators posting AT ALL"? I have no idea why. I've never heard a legit explanation as to why that's a good thing
ChipFTAC01
AG
My curiousity is piqued and I'd really like to know what store and what we're the bad policies.
powerbelly
AG
Neon R said:

Yea. That doesn't really answer the question- "why are moderators posting AT ALL"? I have no idea why. I've never heard a legit explanation as to why that's a good thing
They want moderators to be part of the community they moderate. It helps keep the culture from being over-moderated, i.e. you wouldn't moderate the OB the same as the general board.
expresswrittenconsent
Quote:

This seemingly is prioritized at the expense of users who are not moderators who the mass of users decide is a moderator (see all of the Charpie is a mod stuff that led to the OB moderation thread). And Charpie is far from the only example. Why is protecting the ability for moderators to post anonymously as regular users more important than making sure paying customers on the site like Charpie and aggiebylegacy are not being harassed because the whole board thinks they are mods?
powerbelly
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

My curiousity is piqued and I'd really like to know what store and what we're the bad policies.
Same
David_Puddy
AG
So I'm assuming he is still in jail and not bonded out by now? Reason I ask is because I got a text from someone claiming to be his mother asking for $ to help and saying they are still short on his bond and that the bond company is requiring cash for the entire bond because of his failure to appear. I'm not quite sure how she would've gotten my # if he was still in jail but either way I did not respond.
trouble
AG
annie88 said:

I could never be a mod. There are a few posters that I would ban every other day just because I could.

So good thing I've never been nor never will be asked.

Same
trouble
AG
As far as I know, he's in Travis Co jail.
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Yikes. Maybe someone else here know that answer - I do not.
Gig'em, Brandon '95
STX Ag
AG
CDUB98 said:

STX Ag said:

2006EE said:

CDUB98 said:

Hood said:

2006EE said:

WatchOle said:

Post of the day.

Get bent.

Narcs

Nah I don't and I wasn't addressing you, but I'm sorry dude. I didn't realize you took the internet so serious. It must be real important to you.

My bad.
aggielostinETX
AG
WatchOle said:

Yikes. Maybe someone else here know that answer - I do not.

Unless it changed today, He's in Travis County jail.

And OlJock 99 was pretty skeptical bc he was getting the full details from me directly. Stuff that I didn't share on that thread b/c his boys would go overboard to defend him.
BigAggie06
AG
Tecolote said:

WatchOle said:

Hood said:

Brandon,

Three main reasons:

Sorry, but that is a HUGE conflict of interest. Disagree with a moderator of make a joke based on their post they dont like and it's not good situation as they are people and people tend to not like that.

You must not visit many other forums then. Reddit is a perfect example where the mods are public and active in the boards they mod.
Tecolote
AG
BigAggie06 said:

Tecolote said:

WatchOle said:

Hood said:

Brandon,

Three main reasons:

Sorry, but that is a HUGE conflict of interest. Disagree with a moderator of make a joke based on their post they dont like and it's not good situation as they are people and people tend to not like that.

You must not visit many other forums then. Reddit is a perfect example where the mods are public and active in the boards they mod.
They are public on Reddit and anonymous on TexAgs. Apples and oranges.
4stringAg
AG
What a crazy thread. 3 main topics going on:

• Jorts and his fall, crimes, etc
  • Moderation issues, complaints and recommendations
  • A circle jerk of random general board esque posts from a few posters who know each other

I didn't know Damon and I never talked to him on here or elsewhere. Pretty despicable what he's done and I hope one day he can make restitution to all those he hurt and scammed. I feel bad for fellow Ags, his family, kids, etc.

There are also several references to his "posse" of minions who'd have his back against other posters who might question him. I hope people think twice going forward about following a cult of personality type poster on here in that type of fashion (if it indeed happened that way)

If people on here are still his friend after all this or care about him in any way, you might want to check on him when he gets out of jail. He's already attempted to off himself a couple of times it appears. Now that he's been outed officially on here and his deeds are more known in a widespread fashion, it might break him and he'll attempt again.
BigAggie06
AG
Never mind I got your point. I missed the "with out the social burden of being a moderator" in Brandon's bullet point.

I think that the Reddit mode works perfectly fine. Hop gets into disagreements with people all the time, are any of those points a problem for him?
Danny Vermin
Nosh said:

Your Friend said:

There already exists a regular OR poster who is level headed, mature, wise and unemotional who would be the perfect candidate for the OR mod, imo

Get lost Justin.

Why are you puffing out your bird chest sock? Using someone's real name should be a bannable offence.
Lt Lois Einhorn
powerbelly said:

Neon R said:

They want moderators to be part of the community they moderate. It helps keep the culture from being over-moderated, i.e. you wouldn't moderate the OB the same as the general board.
Also who the **** would sit around for hours and moderate a board that you weren't allowed to participate in? The only thing more depraved would be to sit around and read an internet message board for hours without posting OR moderating it - but no one is that messed up.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

No one likes to get memoryholed.
IDK, used to be a pretty good one at the Love's truck stop in Waller. Doesn't get as much traffic anymore since the Bucee's opened.
Ellis Wyatt
BigAggie06 said:

Quote:

This place should never emulate Reddit in any way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.