Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,225 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From about 15' on things changed. The demeanor of the players and the tempo flipped. Bruno played defense. There were at least 2 golden opportunities to equalize.

Turner has spilled a couple of shots so it's important to have someone hanging around.
Dre_00
On vacation. Caught about 15 minutes of the first half (after all the goals) and likely won't see any of the 2nd.

I'll just say that next week's game at Arsenal looms large. 3 games. 3 performances that had huge and glaring flaws. If United has any hope of actually taking a step forward this season they quickly need a massively improved performance. A 90 minute performance against a good team. Otherwise, it's effectively a sideways season at best. Aim for top 4…which will likely be harder this season.
Mathguy64
AG
Varane out for Lindelof.
Mathguy64
AG
Casemiro didn't miss that open net. And he rushes into the net to grab the ball and run it back to the center circle. There is life in this team.

And 2' later Antony takes a great shot that Turner gets a finger on to save.
Mathguy64
AG
NF will play 10 men the last 25'. He gave it for DOGSO but I think it wasn't. There was a second defender. I wonder if this gets reversed.

ETA in replay it's a good call. I don't think that defender gets there.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dalot sitting on his heals. Could have been a 1 on 1 with Turner.
Mathguy64
AG
What is Dalot doing on the free kick? Surely he knows what Bruno is going to do.
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford draws the PK on another hard drive to the touchline. With the defender giving the classic finger wave bail me out bat signal.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bruno converts.
Mathguy64
AG
Bruno converts. 3-2. This match really did change about 15' in. I don't know why. I don't care. But it did.
Mathguy64
AG
Now I want to see them go for a 4th and not sit back.
Mathguy64
AG
That's an awful call by Attwell. The two defenders committed friendly fire.
Furlock Bones
AG
Casemiro down injured
Mathguy64
AG
11 minutes for what?
Mathguy64
AG
Casemiro is dragging a leg and AWB is now covering his spot. He's all over the central part of the pitch.
Mathguy64
AG
Played 103'. Crazy.

I'll say it again. They flipped a switch at 15'. I have no idea why they looked like they werent awake ti start out but it's scary that they can't play like that. After 15' it was a totally different team.
Dre_00
Sounds like Henderson will be announced at Palace tomorrow and Altay Bayindir will take his place in a 7M EUR move from Fenerbahce.
Dre_00
15 + 5 (GBP) for Henderson + sell on clause. Not bad I suppose.
Dre_00
Reports that Varane is out for 6 weeks. Mr. Maguire ain't going nowhere. If he wants a shot at 1st team football at United, Varane's fragility will give it to him.
Mathguy64
AG
So Varane, Shaw, Mount. Do these guys not train at all before the season starts?
oh no
AG
it's a grueling ass sport.... ligaments, muscles, joints, bones... it's hard on the body no matter how you train.
Thunder18
AG
It's disgusting how fast we went from the joy of the Glazers potentially selling the club, to thinking we were going to have a great transfer window and offload dead weight to this. No sale, still have a bunch of dead weight on the roster, overspent on potential for a Striker, injuries to some of our thinnest positions on the roster...someone needs to sacrifice a live goat or something
Dre_00
Sounds like United are making a concerted push for Cucurella who has approved of the loan move. Chelsea will more than likely fleece United as they are a direct rival. I haven't heard anything about Malacia's injury but my guess is that you don't make a season long loan move for Cucurella if you have any confidence in Malacia's long term future at United. Or in other words, I think this signals the end for Malacia after this season regardless of his injury.

The whole Maguire thing is weird in that I wonder whether ETH's public statements regarding Maguire and his place were meticulously made only when feeling Maguire had no intention to leave or if they helped Maguire come to the decision to stay at United. I'm guessing the former. But can't really fault United for being stuck with him if he his hell bent on keeping his wages and thinks he has a chance at meaningful playing time at United.

Number of sources claiming that Bayern are legitimately interested in McTominay but not interested in the 35-40M GBP price tag.
Dre_00
United now trying to get Amrabat on loan. Offered 2M EUR but in two installments with the option to cancel the loan in January and not pay 2nd installment. Fiorentina likely told United to go to hell.

We are brokety broke broke.
Dre_00
Couldn't get a loan clause in the Cucurella deal to allow for cancellation in January so now United are moving to Regullon and appears a medical is imminent? I guess that means Tottenham will allow for a January cancellation of the loan?

I don't know man...whatever. Bringing in rivals backup options on loan is just depressing no matter how you slice it.
Aston94
AG
The fact they are wanting a loan that can be cancelled in January seems like good news for Malacia, no?
Showstopper
AG
Or we are going with the cheap option. Which seems to be the theme at the end of the window. Really needed that Mctominay deal to be done. Oh well.
planoaggie123
AG
Champions League....Group A with Bayern so far....

+ FC Copenhagen
+ Galatasaray

looks like we could have been paired with Bayern, Napoli or Benefit and got Bayern...

....also...ouch for Newcastle....Group F with PSG, Borussia Dortmund and AC Milan....
Showstopper
AG
It's kind of a toug draw since Bayern were good anyway, and this Harry Kane guy looks pretty good. Gala is relatively tough for a pot 4 team. But, yeah, Newcastle is in a fight, that's the group of death this year. Will be a must watch group though.

Meanwhile, City's group:
Man City
Leipzig
Crvena Zvezda (edit: Red Star Belgrade, had to google to figure out who this was lol; I think the point still stands)
Young Boys

I mean…
Thunder18
AG
Showstopper said:

It's kind of a toug draw since Bayern were good anyway, and this Harry Kane guy looks pretty good. Gala is relatively tough for a pot 4 team. But, yeah, Newcastle is in a fight, that's the group of death this year. Will be a must watch group though.

Meanwhile, City's group:
Man City
Leipzig
Crvena Zvezda (edit: Red Star Belgrade, had to google to figure out who this was lol; I think the point still stands)
Young Boys

I mean…

City with the easiest group draw. Newcastle's group is insane
Dre_00
Fulham has apparently reached out to United about McTominay. He would be their replacement for Palhinha who Bayern has agreed a contract with and wants to spend 60M EUR on. So Bayern may end up facilitating McTominay's move after all...

...but I'm not holding my breath. United will likely ask for a fee beyond what Fulham wants to pay.
Dre_00
If my math is correct, United have at least 3 deals that need to be finalized tomorrow (Amrabat, Bayindir, and Reguilon in) or else they will have a big, gaping hole in their roster. Going to be a busy day...or at least we better hope it is.
Thunder18
AG
Showstopper said:

Meanwhile, City's group:
Man City
Leipzig
Young Boys

I mean…

Really ironic to get matched up against a club that ended up with 2 high profile players we really wanted and could certainly use right now
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

If my math is correct, United have at least 3 deals that need to be finalized tomorrow (Amrabat, Bayindir, and Reguilon in) or else they will have a big, gaping hole in their roster. Going to be a busy day...or at least we better hope it is.

OK, so 2 deals...

Dre_00
Aston94 said:

The fact they are wanting a loan that can be cancelled in January seems like good news for Malacia, no?

That and the fact that there is no option to buy is a good sign for Malacia. But he's still in a very precarious position, in my opinion. At the very least, there is now a 2nd LB to compete with for at least 4 months and if Sergio does well, I'm sure both he and United will want to make the move permanent even if there is no buy option. His contract ends in 2025 so purchasing him in June 2024 should, in theory, not be an expensive proposition.

If I had to bet, I would guess that Malacia is not a Manchester United player come August 31, 2024. Not necessarily because I think Sergio will impress...but more because it seems like United are edging closer to upgrading him and it's likely just a matter of time before they do. Your backup LB needs to be just as good as your primary LB when your primary LB is injury prone and also doubles as you 3rd CB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.