Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

82,204 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thunder18
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm betting EtH gets the boot after this.
Mathguy64
AG
I just looked at the bench.

DVB
Pellestri
Reguilon
Antony
McT
Mejbri
Gore
Backup keeper.

That's maybe the worst bench I have ever seen.
planoaggie123
AG
Furlock Bones said:

I know there have been injuries etc but this team seems to have no plan. No tactics. Just lifeless. Soooo hard to watch.
Mathguy64
AG
In form Rashford drives that on and scores himself. Out of form Rashford passes to a clearly offside Garnacho
Mathguy64
AG
If Rashford doesn't pull out of that run he gets to that ball before Martinez, and Martinez is out for DOGSO.
Mathguy64
AG
How many more times can we be offside?
boogieman
AG
Attaboy Garnacho
Showstopper
AG
Back even! Never any doubt lol.
Mathguy64
AG
Even. Goal off for offside. Penalty off for offside.
Showstopper
AG
3-2 Hojlund!!!!!
Mathguy64
AG
Holy crap.
Furlock Bones
AG
i'm in disbelief
boogieman
AG
1st career goal!
Mathguy64
AG
Do not just sit back the last 7 plus.
Thunder18
AG
boogieman said:

1st career goal!

Hopefully the first of many PL goals
Mathguy64
AG
This may be the most different 45" halves you could possibly have imagined.
Furlock Bones
AG
what a comeback win. please be the corner we so desperately needed to turn.
Showstopper
AG
I hope it is a corner. Next game I think is Forest who has a bit of a new manager bounce, then Spurs which, I may be a habitual Spurs poo-poo'er, but I do actually think they are the ones above us with the most likely run of poor form in them potentially. So those games are pretty important. I mean, they are all important, but…. Need to beat Spurs if we have a dream of any realistic shot at fifth place Champion's League qualification (assuming it even happens; we sure didn't help the coefficient lol).
Mathguy64
AG
Somehow this really bad team is 6th in the table with 10 wins out of 19 matches.
Dre_00
I've been hurt too many times before. I'm not ready to love again.
oh no
AG
for all the complaints about being glazeholed and poor management from ETH, and despite all the injuries, a squad currently 6th in the table with the same number of wins as City, only 5 points behind 4th and a UCL spot for next year, who just took 3 points from the 3rd place squad doesn't seem so bad.
planoaggie123
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Furlock Bones said:

I know there have been injuries etc but this team seems to have no plan. No tactics. Just lifeless. Soooo hard to watch.

I knew they were going to pull this one out....
Furlock Bones
AG
oh no said:

for all the complaints about being glazeholed and poor management from ETH, and despite all the injuries, a squad currently 6th in the table with the same number of wins as City, only 5 points behind 4th and a UCL spot for next year, who just took 3 points from the 3rd place squad doesn't seem so bad.

I mean they embarrassed themselves in champions league.
Showstopper
AG
Hey we were top 4 in Champions League!*

*Group A
Dre_00
Athletic had a good breakdown of the details of the deal. Points I found most interesting.

United had to provide their January transfer plans to Ratcliffe before he agreed to the sale. Any deviation from that plan must be approved by him. So any January deal would have his tacit approval.

The 300 million for infrastructure development counts as equity. So Ratcliffe will actually have 29% stake in the club. It also doesn't necessarily have to be used for infrastructure. Filing says it's for that purpose but could be used for "normal operation" of the club.

Glazers can still back out and pay $66 million to Ratcliffe (as well as losing the gain from selling him their Class B shares). Ratcliffe can pull out and pay the Flazers $163 million.

Glazers can't fire ETH without Ratcliffe's approval. But also he can't fire him without Glazer's approval until the sale is finalized which will take about 8 weeks. So ETH is likely safe till at least then. And my guess is that he'll make it to the end of the season (or close to it) regardless unless Ratcliffe feels his permanent replacement is already available (but that seems unlikely).

No dividends for next 3 years. Ratcliffe has option to match any offer a 3rd party submits for the Glazers shares (should they want to sell in the future). But Glazers have a "drag along clause" which means that he may be forced to sell for the same price Glazers accept even if he doesn't want to sell his stake or take full ownership.
Dre_00
Amad makes the bench for tonight's game. Hojlund is sick so Rashford at striker with Antony starting on the right and Garnacho on the left. Shaw still out so Dalot at LB (god help us).
Thunder18
AG
Way too easy
Thunder18
AG
Thanks Turner
Unemployed
AG
Thunder18 said:

Thanks Turner
And then he made a nice save to start the counter and a goal for Nottingham.
Thunder18
AG
RealTalk said:

Thunder18 said:

Thanks Turner
And then he made a nice save to start the counter and a goal for Nottingham.

He giveth and taketh away
Showstopper
AG
Man Mctominay is so bad when we try to make him the CDM. I'm not sure he was even far enough back to be in camera on either Forest goal.
Dre_00
McTominay. From man that was nearly sold to West Ham for 30 million to man that will get ETH fired for consistently playing him.

The fact that he is incentivized to play him regularly because A) we can't score but he's somehow managed to do so and B) our midfield is paper thin says everything.
Showstopper
AG
I appreciated the Brentford win, but I'm not sure how you sustainably play a midfielder that isn't very great at actually being a midfielder. I just don't know where you play him; he looks he should be a good defensive mid since he's so big, but both times today he created the space that led to the goal. He's not great with the ball, so that makes it hard to use him as either an 8 or a 10. He's scored goals this year, but when you bring him on, you basically are playing with only two midfielders, so I don't understand how it is supposed to sustainably work unless he only comes in for the last 15-20 mins when we are behind and entering desperation time.
Dre_00
Ratcliffe held an all-hands meeting with staff today. Nothing groundbreaking but nonetheless refreshing.

According to The Athletic...

Essentially, he told the entire staff that the last decade has been unacceptable and the club is nowhere near where it needs to be. He isn't concerned about making money (not sure I buy that) and is only focused on silverware (I do believe it's his priority). Met with ETH who called the meeting "positive" and he's looking forward to working with them (better start winning some games then Erik).

Staff were left impressed and refreshed by his honesty though they, understandably, aren't sure how he's going to pull this off. If nothing else, there is at least some hope of improved structure leading to long term improvement. I have no idea if Ratcliffe and team will be good at what they do but there's the hope they can be...and they can't **** this up any worse than the Glazers have.
Thunder18
AG
Beating Wigan 1-0 @ HT. Should probably have 4 goals but we can't even finish a hot meal let alone a point blank shot in the box

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.