Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

82,209 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone keeps yelling "waaaannnnkerrrr"
Thunder18
AG
Bruno really should've scored there but props to the Luton defender for a great hustle to block it
Thunder18
AG
Now Garnacho bottles a 1v1...what are the odds those missed chances bite us in the ass
Mathguy64
AG
That's just really good defending by Luton. Combined by bad play by Garnacho.
Mathguy64
AG
Woof. That's not even a foul. That's a bad miss.
Mathguy64
AG
Another counter goes for nothing.
Thunder18
AG
Garnachos decision making is so bad
Mathguy64
AG
Another Garnacho miss. All he had to do is square that ball and McT is wide open 6 yds out of goal.
Mathguy64
AG
I'll say it. Luton should have won.
Thunder18
AG
We should've scored 3 or 4 more goals easily
Showstopper
AG
Cardiac Kids.

I disagree that Luton should have won, Luton didn't have a whole lot of good shots second half. We missed two one-on-ones.
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'll say it. Luton should have won.

Why? Look at scoring chances. I am sure we should have won by a goal on xG.
Furlock Bones
AG
Luton has already proven they are a tough out at home. Take the 3 points and run.
Aston94
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Luton has already proven they are a tough out at home. Take the 3 points and run.

Any road win for this team this year is a good result honestly.
Dre_00
Only watched the 1st half but it was a sloppy performance, IMO. United clearly wanted to play fast in the break but so many lofted balls to nowhere when a little calm and patience was needed. Bruno was particularly bad.

It'll be interesting to see what Ineos does if United manage to squeak 4th with like a +8 GD and playing mostly uninspiring soccer.

Maybe it actually makes ETHs job less secure (can likely fish from a deeper pool of candidates if you have CL football) but also hard to see firing a manager who gets top 4.
Furlock Bones
AG
As I mentioned before, we really needed the 3 points in light of Spurs fumbling this week. I think Spurs will start putting it back together. So we have to gain ground when they give it. And this week, we did.
Dre_00
Completely forgot about the new qualification rule allowing the top 2 leagues in coefficient to add a 5th team to the CL. With England in 1st possessing a nearly 30 point advantage over Germany in 3rd, United only have to surpass Tottenham.
Dre_00
Furlock Bones said:

Ashworth has said yes. Newcastle claim they want 6mm pounds and for Ashworth to wait a year.

Now it's 15-20 million or he has to wait 20 months. That's kind of what I expected out of PIF.

If they really think Ashworth is head and shoulders above the other candidates, then quibbling over 5 or even 10 million in order to get him in now/before the summer isn't wise. If you think he's by far the best director out there then you need him for this summer. He'll probably save you at least that much if not significantly more in the first summer alone simply by negotiating proper fees and not crap like 85 million for Antony.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

Completely forgot about the new qualification rule allowing the top 2 leagues in coefficient to add a 5th team to the CL. With England in 1st possessing a nearly 30 point advantage over Germany in 3rd, United only have to surpass Tottenham.

I hate that by the way. The ever expansion of tournaments is out of hand.
Furlock Bones
AG
My hopes are that Jim comes in and tells Newcastle. These aren't the old days of MU. Here's what we are prepared to pay. If you want to have good faith negotiations, let's get it done. If not, have fun paying Ashworth to vacation in Bermuda. We are out.

Because that is the attitude United need to have going forward.
Thunder18
AG
Murmurs out there that Shaw may be out injured for remainder of season
Mathguy64
AG
He shouldn't have played Sunday. He's got an MCL sprain.
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

He shouldn't have played Sunday. He's got an MCL sprain.

I agree, it's just absurd that here we are with absolutely no cover at LB due to our mismanagement
Showstopper
AG
I don't know why we sent Reguilon back. I don't think he was that expensive. Or at least keep Alvaro Fernandes. And I'm not one of the people pitching a fit about Fernandez leaving in a vacuum, I think neither Fernandez nor Reguilon are that great, but I like them better than putting Lindeloff there and hoping for the best.
Dre_00
Ratcliffe gave a long interview to the Athletic after fully confirming his partial ownership. He's preaching a 3-4 year plan for United to challenge for the PL and CL and alluded to 2028 when United will celebrate its 150th birthday. Organizational philosophy was nothing new though did think it was interesting that he specifically exonerated the last 10-11 years worth of coaches including ETH (paraphrasing a bit but effectively said that a lot of good coaches came here and sucked so most likely an organizational issue and not a coaching issue).

Put a 1 billion GBP price tag on an OT renovation and 2 billion on a new stadium. Leaning towards renovation. Seemed like he left the door open a bit for a Mason Greenwood return. But after further reading, I see it more as he wants to show that he and his team will reevaluate and come to their own conclusion...but I doubt they'll reach a different conclusion.
Dre_00
Hojlund out 2-3 weeks with a muscle injury. Likely pushes Rashford to forward, Garnacho to the left and Antony to the right. Though I would also hope this gives Amad a shot at more playing time.

The kid was on such a roll. Shame to see him miss time. No idea who is going to score for us now.
Furlock Bones
AG
This is a huge blow.
Thunder18
AG
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Dre_00
Assuming that the 2-3 weeks is an estimate as of today, he'll miss 2 but likely 3 EPL games and the FA Cup match @Forest.

I hope ETH rotates significantly for that Forest match but that hasn't been his MO. Even though the chance of coming away with anything from the City match is pretty much zero, he can't rest players for that game. Play a heavily rotated side in the FA Cup. If you lose, you lose. Hope you can squeak out home wins against Fulham and Everton w/o him.
Aston94
AG
Need Rashford to step up and be the player he is capable of being.
Furlock Bones
AG
Aston94 said:

Need Rashford to step up and be the player he is capable of being.
The problem is Rashford is so streaky, and he depends on the counterattack being quick and effective. He does not create his own goals. Hojlund can make something out of nothing, and he's largely had to do that given no one on the team will give him any sort of service.
Dre_00
ETH is acting like Rashford at forward isn't a certainty and mentioning Omari Forson. He briefly played forward in the latter stages of the Wolves game but he was brought on for Rashford with the hopes of killing the game. Starting him at forward, when that's not his natural position, in order to keep Rashford and Garnacho on the wings would be a big ask of a very young player (and also quite the statement as to just how far Antony has fallen).

That said, I'd be surprised if he started with something other than Garnacho - Rashford - Antony. I suppose we'll soon see.
Dre_00
Nevermind. Forson starts. Antony is going through it right now.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bold move by EtH
Dre_00
His contract expires in the summer. United offered a renewal but Forson wants more first team playing time and hasn't signed yet. I wonder if that had a part to play in this. Give him a chance to prove he's worthy of more first team play next season and possible change terms of the new offer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.