Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,207 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That an exhaustion goal.
Showstopper
AG
Maguire + Evans = loss
LarryElder
Onana is not an upgrade
Dre_00
I only caught the last 10 minutes or so but I'm a lot more worried after the first 4 games of this season than after the first 4 games of last. A lot of that is due to expectation. After the first 2 games of last season, I expected nothing. After the end of last season, I expected to see signs that we've taken a step forward.

I haven't seen any of those signs. Maybe they were there in the first 80 minutes of today's game but they definitely weren't there in the last 10 minutes of today's or the first 3 games. There are some mitigating factors in regards to new players, injuries, and ETH trying out some new ***** And the first 4 games of this season were probably marginally more difficult than the first 4 games of last season. But I've seen nothing thus far to suggest that this team has any realistic ambition beyond 4th and even that is going to be a monumental task to achieve. Liverpool are back. Tottenham appear to be massively better. Not looking great.
Mathguy64
AG
Just curious. Did you catch the last 10 minutes plus stoppage or just the last 10 during stoppage?

Most of the game was even play. Garnacho was really close to being onside to score the 2-1 goal.

By the time it got to 95 or so we were exhausted. ETH is usually better at monitoring that and he left Antony on 15 minutes too long. And having to swap out both CBs was not an ideal use of 2 subs.
Dre_00
Last 10 minutes of regulation plus stoppage. So indeed like 20 minutes total...but I didn't see the disallowed Garnacho goal (whenever that was).

Everyone was way too slow to react to Rice on the game winner. Lots of pundits I respect were crucifying the 3rd goal which is just absurd to me. And now Sancho has hit out on social media about ETH's post game remarks towards him (left out due to training performances).

Being a United fan is utterly exhausting.
Furlock Bones
AG
Score was as expected. Glad I didn't watch.

Took my kids to the Garden of the Gods instead.

Dre_00
And now apparently a fan headbutted Roy Keane after United's eventually disallowed 2nd goal? Just like, 1 week without drama. That's all I ask.

And who is the guy that thinks it's a good idea to headbutt Roy Keane of all people? He reportedly ran away and fled the Emirates...presumably to go find Mike Tyson and punch him in the face.
Dre_00
Sounds like Antony is being formally investigated by a Brazilian court for domestic abuse. There appears to be a plethora of evidence (recordings, pictures, eye witness testimonies). Interested to see how United handle this after the Greenwood fiasco. I have no idea how Brazilian law operates, but I would argue that the team should have already suspended him. There is a ton of precedent for a mere investigation to trigger suspension at least until the process is complete.
Showstopper
AG
I would wait on a police charge in the Antony case. The stuff that's been posted isn't as damning as the Greenwood stuff. The pictures I saw were two bandaged fingers and a picture of the top of her head where she had a cut in her scalp under her hair. Basically, it's concerning, but the pictures are of injuries that you can get in everyday life. Greenwood's girlfriend, on the other hand, looked more she'd fallen down stairs or been in a UFC fight. And the texts look more like a bitter breakup to me. So anyway I'd wait for police/prosecutor action on this one.
Aston94
AG
This is why leagues, not teams, should handle suspensions and investigations. No way should United be the decision maker in this.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah but the Premier League doesn't do anything. Like if a team had 100+ charges of cheating to get around the salary cap, for instance, the NFL (just to pick a very controlling league) wouldn't say, "Well, we will look at this for a few years and get back to you." And, heck, Arsenal hasn't done anything in response to the case against Thomas Partey; I haven't paid as close attention, but isn't he actually charged with rape based on three different accusers?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
No charges have been presented.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Dre_00
Greenwood's public evidence was 100x more graphic and violent than what has been seen of Antony's allegations. That's the primary difference.

I prefaced not knowing a thing about Brazil's legal system. But if a court is investigating, and even Antony's agent has said that "an investigative process at a police station" is occurring, then that at least sounds similar to a police investigation in the UK or US. And teams have suspended players temporarily pending investigation. It's not universally done but it's definitely done in other sports/situations.
Mathguy64
AG
Brazil just dropped Antony from their WCQ roster while they investigate.
Thunder18
AG
The RW curse remains in effect

Furlock Bones
AG
The club honored a convicted pedo. Christ the Glazers are just awful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12489675/Manchester-United-Geoff-Konopka-paedophile.html
Thunder18
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The club honored a convicted pedo. Christ the Glazers are just awful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12489675/Manchester-United-Geoff-Konopka-paedophile.html

Bud Light: let's create the biggest PR fiasco of 2023
Man Utd: hold my beer
Mathguy64
AG
And the idiots who own this turn sandwich want $10B for it.

Serves them right is the stock value drops 80%.
Dre_00
It's one thing to run a club into the ground financially and make ****ty footballing decisions but the Greenwood crap, this, and potentially the Antony situation (we'll see how they handle this but probably not well) are just next level. These are legitimate moral scandals. I mean honestly, I don't want United to be owned by Qatar, but going from the Glazers to out and out sports washing isn't the ethical drop that it was 3 months ago now that the current owners have proven that they're willing to do almost anything to keep a violent sexual offender on the team and lionize a paedophile because they "didn't know".

Congratulations Glazer Family. Your missteps in the last several months have been so great that you've made owners who legitimize modern indentured servitude look not that much worse in comparison.
Furlock Bones
AG
More accusations of physical assault against Antony.
Thunder18
AG
Well Pellistri should have plenty of opportunities for PT now at least until Mount/Amad are healthy again. Of course EtH will probably use Bruno at RW instead, but I guess we will see
BJM1781
AG
As a Cowboys fan and United supporter, I always start each new season waiting to see which team will implode first.

I think I can safely say ManU will be taking the trophy this time around.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Did I see a headline that the new Moroccan guy (Amarat?) got hurt?
Dre_00
Yes but it appears to be a minor injury that came up during his medical. He nonetheless traveled to play for Morocco but has now withdrawn as a precaution. It doesn't sound serious or that he'll miss time.
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

Well Pellistri should have plenty of opportunities for PT now at least until Mount/Amad are healthy again. Of course EtH will probably use Bruno at RW instead, but I guess we will see

My guess is maybe some Pellistri but yeah…mostly Bruno. Bruno on the right with Eriksen, Amrabat, and Casemiro in the middle.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Thunder18 said:

My guess is maybe some Pellistri but yeah…mostly Bruno. Bruno on the right with Eriksen, Amrabat, and Casemiro in the middle.

I like this formation better anyway, makes squad much better in midfield and possession.
Showstopper
AG
I'd rather keep him in the middle if possible. When he plays RW he goes a little MIA.
Thunder18
AG
Showstopper said:

I'd rather keep him in the middle if possible. When he plays RW he goes a little MIA.

Agreed
Dre_00
United and Antony have mutually agreed that he stays in Brazil indefinitely. You may not want Bruno on the right but it's happening.

Furlock Bones
AG
What a kick in nardos. The Glazers glazed us all with their BS sell process. Aggie football does what Aggie football does. Really crap start to the fall.
Dre_00
Me, an Aggie talking to non-Aggie United friends...

Showstopper
AG
Not necessarily. Mount is supposedly aiming on coming back for Bayern Munich. Maybe he could play there, and if he went MIA, well, what else is new.

You may not like Mount, but ten Hag spent 55M on him, so he's going to play him. (Although it's still probably more likely that he plays Mount rather than Eriksen).
Dre_00
OK, but there's a game before Bayern.

And to be clear, I have absolutely nothing against Mount. The criticism he is getting is completely unwarranted, in my opinion. I would bet ETH doesn't completely abandon Mountemiro. At least not yet. One of the big reasons why he wanted Mount was to play this central midfield role and he'll give him time to adapt to it. That means playing him in that role.

Not saying that Mount will never play on the right but he definitely won't be playing there full time. And if he's not, that means Bruno on the right until at least Antony/Sancho/Amad situations change.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oh Harry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.