Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,239 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
BJM1781
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Martial? Really? Guy shouldn't be on the squad, let alone playing.

Crowd not pleased.
Showstopper
AG
Hojlund off. Been one of the only bright spots. Unless it was predetermined because of the back issue.
Mathguy64
AG
BJM1781 said:

Could very well be heading for another mid season manager change.

That would be the dumbest decision this team could possibly make.
BJM1781
AG
I'm not advocating for a change, but you know there will be an overreaction if we lose 3 or 4 matches in a row.

I'd rather give ETH another year. We aren't getting any elite managers to come to this sh*tshow.
LarryElder
Eth out
Showstopper
AG
Wow. Is it 2022? Am I in Groundhog Day?
Mathguy64
AG
Another goal from right in the middle.
Showstopper
AG
Hannibal with a pretty consolation goal.
bagger05
AG
BJM1781 said:

I'm not advocating for a change, but you know there will be an overreaction if we lose 3 or 4 matches in a row.

I'd rather give ETH another year. We aren't getting any elite managers to come to this sh*tshow.

Yeah I don't feel like he's the problem.

Feels like there's no plan.
Dre_00
The biggest issue is that there are multiple players who played well last season who look significantly worse this season. Casemiro, Lisandro, Dalot, Eriksen, all look significantly worse. Whether that's down to new tactics, age, or what, I don't know but it seems clear to me. There have been injuries for sure but, can't afford to take this big of a step back when you add 4 of your own players to the squad.
Showstopper
AG
Well if you are going to get a card at least get your money's worth. I kind of like Hannibal.
BJM1781
AG
Hannibal and Garnacho should start against Munich.
Showstopper
AG
We definitely look worth 10 billion. (Was it pounds or dollars? Either way…)
Furlock Bones
AG
Glazeholes
Mathguy64
AG
The stock closed at $19 Friday. That's a $3.1B valuation. Good luck getting $10B you freeloading chumps. You should have taken $7B and laughed all the way to the bank.
Dre_00
AWB pulled a hamstring in his Brighton cameo and is out for up to 2 months.

This is all going downhill very, very fast.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

AWB pulled a hamstring in his Brighton cameo and is out for up to 2 months.

This is all going downhill very, very fast.

Karma finally catching the Glazeholes.
Thunder18
AG
Pogba's witchcraft voodoo really doing it's thing this year huh
gougler08
AG
As a non Man U fan, do you guys really think Onana is better than De Gea. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I don't think he's been great, especially for the money paid
bagger05
AG
No
Mathguy64
AG
His play and distribution is clearly what ETH wants to do. DeGea couldn't do that. His play as GK right now is an incomplete. I haven't seen enough to decide if he's better or worse.
Showstopper
AG
As far as shot stopping goes, most of them hame been nearly unsaveabkr. One of the late Arsenal goals could have been better, for example, but then again everyone was second guessing the I think third FA Cup Final goal. On the whole I think he's been ok, and he is a better distributor.

Now should we have gotten a goal keeper now? It's more debatable. I wish we had a second striker that was more available than Martial. I also wish we had a CDM that could be an understudy to Casemiro, but CDM prices were pretty crazy.
Thunder18
AG
Distribution has been an obvious upgrade. Shot stopping I don't think he will be able to match peak DDG, but on the flip side I also hope he won't have as many errors or howlers that DDG was prone to having

I would also point out that our defense has not been 100% this season, so hopefully once all defenders are healthy they will gel quickly and we will see substantial improvement
Dre_00
gougler08 said:

As a non Man U fan, do you guys really think Onana is better than De Gea. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I don't think he's been great, especially for the money paid

Miles better. He enables play that United could never have done with DDG in goal. He enables them to play in a greater variety of ways. Furthermore, he enables defenders to play in a variety of different ways as well because they don't have to compensate for a goalie who can't pass and sucks on the ball.

His shot stopping has a lower ceiling than DDG. There are balls that he simply can't get to that DDG can. And I think that's why he gets undo criticism because that's the easiest thing to see and the most obvious impact a goalie can have. But DDG had become much less consistent in his shot stopping. Still capable of brilliant saves but started to let in howlers on a semi-regular basis. I can think of several that he let in last year that were just absurdly bad.
Dre_00
And of course Onana goes and lets in a howler inside of 20 minutes of me posting that. Thanks a lot Andre.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah de Gea saves that
Showstopper
AG
Hello darkness my old friend…
Dre_00
I wouldn't be surprised to see De Gea do that exact same thing but if Onana is going to start doing that, then his list of pros vs. De Gea is definitely shorter.
Dre_00
My new plan as a Manchester United fan is going to be to start planning for 2052 when the Glazers all finally die. Of course I might be dead then too but watching United now has become an experience on par with death.

I'm not sure where I'm going with any of this.
oh no
AG
FNG with a goal that counts this time
oh no
AG
ooof. Ericksen handled it.
Showstopper
AG
Sigh. That gets handball but we didn't get the one against Spurs (I know the difference in Premier v Champions league but still)
Dre_00
That's a penalty but I really do hate the state of the game as it relates to handballs in the box. We've reached the point where any defender in the box has to run around with their arms stapled to their side in order to remove the chance of a handball and subsequent PK. The punishment often does not fit the crime.

Edit to add: that's a penalty under current rules but the current rules suck.
Showstopper
AG
Well in the Premier League they have this weird focus on intent and he clearly didn't have any intent because there was no movement in his hand because it was so close. So I don't think it would have been given in the Premier League, but in Europe they tend to say it's a handball if it hits your hand and they don't do this whole intent inquiry (which I actually think is the better approach but regardless)
deadbq03
AG
I don't even like you guys, and what I'd say is that this is a classic example of one that really ought not be a penalty, even by letter of the law. The law says "unnatural position" which is obviously up to interpretation, but I've always felt that it's absolutely natural to expect a players arms to extend from their body when jumping… and the pinning behind the back is very unnatural. Or to the announcers point, even the old rule of intent was better than this. So IMO there's a world where this could (and perhaps should) be just fine, even if the wording of the rule stays exactly the same. But the overwhelming majority of refs would call it, so it's a positive feedback loop.

But honestly I think any rule is going to be tough to enforce consistently… there's always room for interpretation. The better fix is to make penalties harder to make. Let's be honest, the punishment rarely fits the crime for any PK besides DOGSO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.