Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

82,202 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thunder18
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really like Fred, and wanted him to turn the corner, but he never did and unfortunately is "who we thought he was". Take the $15mill and run.

Offload him and DVB , bring in Amrabat and Todibo, with the moves so far, and this is an A+ window
Dre_00
I have no idea what is going on with all this Caicedo drama but I am thoroughly enjoying watching it from afar. Kind of hard to believe something like this could happen without United being involved.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah I'm enjoying it as well. I know it's not the same due to his age, but 60M for Casemiro, who is one of the best defensive mids in the world, doesn't look so bad when people are paying double for someone with potential who is good (edit: to be fair, very very good) but not there yet (edit: but very close, to be fair).

Also enjoying certain managers who complained about record fees making record fee bids himself, having to eat a big plate of crow… and not getting the player (as things stand right now anyway). There's just a lot to enjoy.

That said… sure would have been nice if we hadn't walked away from the deal due to too many intermediaries two years ago.
Thunder18
AG
Besiktas might be making a bid for Bailly...transfer fee won't be much but it will reduce the wage bill by something like 4.5MM/year, which is great since he literally never plays
Dre_00
Besiktas now rumored to be looking at other targets because negotiations with United have stalled.

West Ham have asked to be "kept informed" of Martial's situation at United...whatever that means. Don't see how a Martial transfer could be sanctioned without having a replacement and don't see how United could afford a replacement if they are also going to spend on a Fred and Maguire replacement.
Dre_00
Gameday!

Nice article in The Athletic which covers a wide range of topics and does repeat some known information, but is informative nonetheless.

https://theathletic.com/4772700/2023/08/14/ten-hag-manchester-united-one-year/

The overall theme that I took away is that United have effectively hired the Dutch SAF. Not saying he'll be as successful as SAF (would be very hard to be), but ETH oversees and dominates every action at the club much in the way SAF did. Even if United get their act together in the front office (and I think they have to a degree), it's clear that ETH is going to be the biggest/loudest voice in the room when certain decisions are to be made. Kind of unusual in this era vs. SAF's era but probably the easiest way for United to turn things around...if you hire the right person. This model only requires you to get one hire right to see significant gains. The traditional model for this era where the organization is strong requires a lot more work/skill to get right. The downside of course is that if you get the hire wrong and/or ETH leaves, then there is a rudderless ship rather than a well oiled machine ready to replace him.
Aston94
AG
There are definitely two distinct approaches: Build a system that can handle the comings and goings of a manager, or let a manager build a system he wants in place. System 2 works well (see Man City) as long as the manager is a great one. For teams that are going to continually lose managers due to poor performance of because they get picked off by bigger clubs (see Brighton) then having the former system makes a lot of sense.

United are not worried about losing good managers to bigger clubs, so as long as the right guy is hired I have no problem with United putting their trust in the manager, a la SAF. I think when you are a massive club you are bringing in players to fit a coaches system more than you are developing and finding players to fit a club system, so it makes a lot of sense.

With ETH we have finally found a manager who commands respect and seems to know what he is doing, so I am more than happy for him to have control rather than some back office conglomeration like we have had since SAF retired.
Thunder18
AG
Whooo EPL on a Monday afternoon
Thunder18
AG
Good chance there for Rashy, who really should've done better there
Mathguy64
AG
15' in and we have already intentionally played it to Onana more than an entire season of DDG
Dre_00
Garnacho looks nervous and it doesn't look like United know what to do when building from the back.
Mathguy64
AG
Lots of slipping going on.
boogieman
AG
Bro that was close.
Furlock Bones
AG
this is a poor start to the season. we are at home and Wolves have way more energy than us. beating us to balls everywhere on the pitch.
Dre_00
Humbly disagree. Energy isn't the issue. They are closing down in packs like a bunch of rabid dogs. Tracking back and often have 2-3 people around the ball.

Execution has been really poor though. Passing has been erratic and borderline frantic. Poor decision making. Just a lot of chaos.
Thunder18
AG
Lol...how only 2 minutes when Wolves players have been flailing around all half
Thunder18
AG
My God, how do we not score there? Antony has the world's easiest pass to Rashford and just misses it
oh no
AG
i disagree with some of the whoa is me comments after one half of football for 2023-2024. i've seen some pretty sharp passing/combining and some dangerous attacking moments in that half. they're going to break through and win this match. can't get caught with too many bodies forward on those counters though!
Mathguy64
AG
Admittedly I haven't watched 30 total minutes of any preseason match but that looked like 11 players trying to play together for the first time.
oh no
AG
defensive change at half to help kill those counters. probably indicates they're going to keep sending numbers forward to get that goal
oh no
AG
ooof. very lucky to not concede there.
Mathguy64
AG
oh no said:

defensive change at half to help kill those counters. probably indicates they're going to keep sending numbers forward to get that goal

Martinez being on the early YC and next to Shaw made that change almost mandatory.
Thunder18
AG
We are getting shredded right through the middle on counters
LarryElder
this team has a lot of small players
oh no
AG
Cunha, Neto are killing on those counters

Nice chance for Garnacho there though
Dre_00
Garnacho needs to start games like this. And even poor performances in games like this will help him (hopefully). But time to put Rashford on the left and bring on...gulp...Martial.
oh no
AG
wan b needs to be careful with those studs
oh no
AG
wolves continue to break lines down the field by simply.... dribbling down the middle. are Mount and Bruno just getting caught too wide or too high too often?
Mathguy64
AG
Mount out. You could argue he was never in.
oh no
AG
if mount has just a couple MIA appearances like that, the supporters are going to turn very fast on the lifelong chelsea academy product.
oh no
AG
there it is
boogieman
AG
Oh that was nice futbol.
Mathguy64
AG
Finally. Nice chip by AWB of all people.
oh no
AG
excellent service from wan b
Dre_00
oh no said:

if mount has just a couple MIA appearances like that, the supporters are going to turn very fast on the lifelong chelsea academy product.

He deserves a lot of time. He didn't play much last year and it appears ETH wants him to play a role that he didn't play often at Chelsea. I hope they/we give him at least a couple of months worth of starts/appearances.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.