Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

81,205 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These offside flags are comically late. It's obvious. Just put it up.
Dre_00
Oh nana
Mathguy64
AG
When playing out of the back goes badly.

Thats just awful and you could see it coming a mile away.
Showstopper
AG
Bad Onana is back.
Aston94
AG
I sure am glad we got him for his ball passing skills.
Showstopper
AG
I've been a ten Hag defender but… better not lose to Sheffield United if you want to see next year.
Dre_00
Yeah, he's giving Ineos reason after reason to fire him even though they don't really appear to want to.
Mathguy64
AG
Slabhead!
Dre_00
Hell of a header by Maguire but pretty sure he's offside
Furlock Bones
AG
I keep thinking back to Tony Meola saying he just didn't see what EtH saw in Onana. He's been so spot on in his assessment.
Showstopper
AG
He's on fire! He's Harry Maguire!
Dre_00
Or not.

But the rule should be no celebrating goals when you're losing and/or tied to a team on 16 points while playing at home.
Furlock Bones
AG
Sheffield's keeper has made a couple of excellent saves.
Dre_00
I mean he hasn't but OK.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00 said:

I mean he hasn't but OK.

Please explain. Onana has been below average for a top club keeper.
Showstopper
AG
You have to take happiness when it presents itself with this team.
Dre_00
This sums it up better than I can.

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-keepers-ranked-2023-24-psxg
Dre_00
This sums up how I feel about his shocking mistakes. It sucks but...some reason we don't really ever talk about the positives that style brings.

Showstopper
AG
I think the games Onana was really poor in were the Champions League games. We probably would have been axed easily in the Round of 16, but we really should have been ahead of Copenhagen and Galatasaray. If you ignore Europe, he's been ok. But including Europe… different story.
Furlock Bones
AG
I read that. It's one those articles all about data that presents none of data. But if people want to think Onana is a top keeper ok. Maybe someone will buy him at an inflated price…but I doubt it.
Furlock Bones
AG
"Occupational hazard of the way he plays" and that was part of Meola's point. The job of a keeper is to make saves first and foremost. Instead goofball coaches have convinced themselves that passes out of the back are of supreme importance.
Furlock Bones
AG
As I say that. Another Sheffield goal goes in.
Furlock Bones
AG
And there you go. Onana moves out of the way of the only shot the Sheffield player had. Puke.
Showstopper
AG
Well that wasn't really his fault at that range…
Furlock Bones
AG
Showstopper said:

Well that wasn't really his fault at that range…

You can say that. But he made the wrong choice in trying to defend it. So he gave himself no chance. it probably doesn't show up on the goofy made up metrics. But that was all wrong.
Dre_00
I mean it's cool if you don't think the data has merit. Most people feel it is far from perfect but at least directionally accurate.

As for Meola I mean...it's one of those things that sounds smart until you realize that he's a 60 yr old man who played goalie at a time when the demands of the position were almost unrecognizable to the demands of it now.
Furlock Bones
AG
Number 1 demands of a keeper never change. Keep the ball out of the net by saving it and setting up your defense.
Showstopper
AG
I mean, that half of the goal looked pretty open to me; I can't blame him too much for trying to go left.
Thunder18
AG
Dalot wastes an incredible chance by farting around instead of at least getting a shot off. Typical
Dre_00
I for one don't understand why Onana allows any goals at all. Unacceptable.

Anywho, fire ETH before the City game and maybe you get a new manager bounce. I don't know he survives this game and the fact that this is coming on the back of the Coventry game...when you would expect a response...and you get this.

Coventry is a Championship team. Sheffield United is a Championship team. And he can't beat either...the latter being at home. Injuries don't excuse that. This really does feel like Ole's Norwich game.
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Or not.

But the rule should be no celebrating goals when you're losing and/or tied to a team on 16 points while playing at home.

See Bruno knows the rule
Showstopper
AG
On positive news, Everton just scored again against Liverpool, Yeah, schadenfreude is legit.
Dre_00
Remember when this team was so reliant on Eriksen that we only ever looked like a proper team when he played? Can you believe that was like...a year ago?
Furlock Bones
AG
one thing I wonder about is how much longer Bruno stays. he came here when he was 24 I think. now he's 29 and United are staring at another complete rebuild. Is he going to want to stick around for that?
Showstopper
AG
Not a goal, but Onana didn't help the argument on that miss.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.