Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

94,191 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Thunder18
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thankfully he can't do it anymore.
Mathguy64
AG
And if you had Diego Dalot scoring, take a bow.
Mathguy64
AG
Onana doing his best Jordan Pickford impersonation.
Showstopper
AG
"Don't want to pass to Hojlund"

-Manchester Evening News
Mathguy64
AG
Rasmus made that look so easy. There really is a core of very good young talent here. It's just surrounded by a collection of old slow junkers.
Thunder18
AG
Worst PL finish and a negative GD this season. Glad it's over
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe City will still be hung over next weekend.
Dre_00
Caught the highlights. Didn't look overly impressive for United. Not that I expected it to. Brighton could have been up 3-0.

I think it's pretty clear Lisandro starts against City. I'm going to assume ETH will do whatever he can to ensure that Casemiro doesn't start at CB. Based on the subs today, I'm going to guess that Varane starts next to him. That was the one pairing that played well together last season. Varane has one last game left. Might as well throw him out there and cross fingers.

That would put Casemiro and Mainoo in midfield with Bruno. I'll guess Rashford starts with Garnacho on the right. Though honestly…there's no good reason to bench Amad and I personally would bench Garnacho. He looks gassed and could be a good sub. Hojlund up top. The two right backs playing fullback.

All of that and we'll still lose by 3+ goals.
Showstopper
AG
Where are you getting these highlights? Liverpool.com? We weren't amazing, but I thought we looked better than Brighton today…
Showstopper
AG
Btw, I agree with the predicted lineup other than I'm not sure about the wings. I do think Rashford starts. Not that he's earned it with any amazing play lately, but I think he starts on the hope he is himself. RW…. No idea between Garnacho and Amad.
Mathguy64
AG
I would definitely start Rasmus and I would definitely leave Amrabat in Brighton.

After that it depends on if City cares.
Showstopper
AG
I'm hoping that since a treble is off the table, Grealish takes the boys on a bender this week. Do they actually care that much about an FA cup? Not optimistic, but I can dream… this week anyway.
Dre_00
Ha...it was the Dutch broadcaster's highlight reel. They showed a couple of highlights of Onana making some very good saves in the first half when Brighton maybe should have scored. And Casemiro clearing yet another goal off the line early in the second. The United chances they showed didn't look nearly as threatening.

FWIW, the most generous xG I could find for United had Brighton at 1.88 and United at 1.29. One had Brighton at 1.9 and United at 1.0.
Dre_00
Rashford didn't get called up for the Euros. Can't say he deserved it but still a bit of a surprise. The kid needs a proper break and this could end up being a big blessing. Here's hoping he gets away for a while, gets some rest, and returns to the player we know he can be.

Shaw has been called up but is a "long shot". Happy for him to get some rest and recovery as well. Will be interesting to see if Maguire and Mainoo make the final roster. Oddly, Maguire is probably the one who has the highest likelihood of seeing significant Euro minutes.
Aston94
AG
Poch out at Chelsea. He interests me more the an Teuchel.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Aston94 said:

Poch out at Chelsea. He interests me more the an Teuchel.

And more than Southgate or whatever scrub we've seen mentioned. If they move on from ETH, which I'm still on the fence about, I don't know how much better United could do than Poch
Dre_00
He was endlessly linked with the United job back when he was Spurs manager. Would be fitting if he finally got it nearly 10 years later.
Dre_00
Daily Mail reporting some chicanery between Berrada, Ashworth, and Ineos that would amount to "tapping up" if true. But it's the Daily Mail so I reserve a lot of judgement at this point.
Showstopper
AG
I know the Daily Mail can be spotty, but it's coming from their Newcastle guy. I think it is probably properly sourced and from Newcastle. (I.e., I think they are reporting what they are told from someone at or close to Newcastle)
Dre_00
Benfica triggers the buy option for Alvaro Fernandez. 6 million EUR. United does have a buy back clause and a sell on clause.
Showstopper
AG
Guardian reporting that club has decided to fire ten Hag after FA Cup final.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/24/manchester-united-decide-to-sack-erik-ten-hag-regardless-of-cup-final-outcome
Aston94
AG
The only disappointing thing about this, if true, is that someone released the information before the FA Cup game.

I had hoped we would be a tighter, more efficient, cleaner operation with the new management group, but apparently not.
Showstopper
AG
I think the leak is they decided to start talking to managers because they were worried about Chelsea taking who they want. Once you start talking, you expand beyond a group of 4-5 people you can control. (Plus, manager representatives have an incentive to shop interest).
Aston94
AG
We have been seeing stories for a while from the manager/agent side (United is talking to ________) but they were always "if" United elected to move on from ETH.

This is flat out saying the decision to remove him has been made. Just causes an unnecessary distraction ahead of an important game.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah, but the difference is a conversation with their agent saying "if we decided to move on, we would be interested in talking" might be good enough when Chelsea is saying the same thing. But with Poch out, they can converse and make offers, and you wouldn't be able to say "well, you know, if United does something on Sunday they might be interested too" because Chelsea would rightfully say "we are interested right now, and if you aren't we can move on."

Basically, we are on the poop or get off the pot phase for everyone else because most teams' seasons are over.
Furlock Bones
AG
whoops.
Aston94
AG
Showstopper only beat you by 3 hours.
Furlock Bones
AG
I just saw it and noticed the thread wasn't at the top so I wrongly thought it had not been posted. Ultimately I blame it on the screwed up the twitter algorithm these days.
Furlock Bones
AG
Listening to a United podcast and they speak to exactly this. They were saying since INEOS took over it's been quite silent what they were doing. A bunch of journalists said we don't know what's happening.

now it sounds like INEOS made a decision and let the club know and immediately the leaks start. I hope they have been pulling Colleen Rooney plan and leaking different things to see who is talking.
Furlock Bones
AG
Dre_00
If the Guardian is right, and the very well could be, it's an embarrassment that it came out like this. And it will be the exact opposite of what ETH was told and what ETH expects.

ETH gave a very direct interview to a Dutch media outlet where he explicitly stated that Ineos told him that they want him to stay. He also absolutely destroyed British media and frankly, I think what he said was 100% accurate. He more or less parroted a lot of what has been said here. United is either loved or hated and thus drives media engagement. Pundits can say whatever they want and it will be picked up and drive discussion even if it's complete garbage. Etc. etc.

Anyway, he'll probably be fired but massive step back for me in terms of the organization they are building. Not because I'm fiercely attached to the idea of him staying but because this information coming out right before the FA Cup is unacceptable and incompetent Glazer-like management.

Furlock Bones
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Casemiro out of the lineup due to injury. Footnote lists: fat
Furlock Bones
AG
Actually the rumor is that Casemiro was not in the starting 11 and stormed out. What a ****ty way to leave.
Showstopper
AG
I'm not sure I buy that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.