Manchester United 2023-24 Thread
81,188 Views | 1893 Replies
planoaggie123
1:40p, 11/29/23
We just need to beat Bayern and have the other game end in a tie, right? No problem....
Aston94
1:40p, 11/29/23
Can ETH not coach a team to hold a freaking 2 goal lead? Unbelievable.
Showstopper
1:41p, 11/29/23
I think we probably need at least a draw against Bayern to get Europa… which everyone hates, I get it, but I'm not sure winning Europa isn't our best chance at qualification for Champions League next year.
Dre_00
1:56p, 11/29/23
Played a lot better than I thought we would actually. Obviously should have killed the game at 3-1 but is anyone surprised they didn't? Been the MO in CL all year. Inexcusable of course but there was a fair bit to like offensively.

I had written off Europe after @Copenhagen. For me, this doesn't really change much. At this point, season will be determined by performance and results between tonight and end of the month.
planoaggie123
2:01p, 11/29/23
In reply to Showstopper
I sort of wonder if stopping tournament play and only focusing on Premier League might be our best bet. I don't see this team winning match after match in Europa. It is not easy. Somehow we have not completely cut our legs off just yet....
Dre_00
2:02p, 11/29/23
In reply to Showstopper
Showstopper said:

I think we probably need at least a draw against Bayern to get Europa… which everyone hates, I get it, but I'm not sure winning Europa isn't our best chance at qualification for Champions League next year.

We aren't winning Europa or finishing 4th without a turnaround that has to start now. But assuming we do (big assumption) finishing 4th is much more attainable than winning Europa. We're only 4 points out of 4th. I'll take that over navigating 6 knockout home and always against teams that are at least as good as us. Nevermind that I want this team to play less not more.
Aston94
2:06p, 11/29/23
In reply to Showstopper
Showstopper said:

What part of this team makes you think we could win Europa?
Thunder18
2:24p, 11/29/23
7 mistakes by Onana that have led to goals just in the 5 CL games. I don't care who you are, that has to deserve a seat on the bench
Showstopper
3:09p, 11/29/23
In reply to Aston94
What part of this team makes you think we can make top 4?

I think our standing in the league table is a little bit fool's gold. Before the halfway mark, we have Newcastle, Liverpool (at Anfield), and Villa. And, I mean, Chelsea are a mess, but … they are an expensive mess (like we can talk, but anyway). After group stages are over, most of the good Europa teams are Premier League teams. And we probably will only need to get through 1-2.

I mean, if I'm betting money, we don't get top four or Europa.
Dre_00
1:49p, 12/2/23
Think I'm more certain of Varane's transfer out than anything.

Of course, I was certain of Maguire's and look at us now.
Thunder18
2:11p, 12/2/23
We are looking like hot crap so far. Onana has no command in the box
Mathguy64
2:36p, 12/2/23
NU is packing the area with 8 defenders. We have to stay wide.
Showstopper
2:47p, 12/2/23
Seems like we are jogging a lot more than Newcastle… also giving the ball away quite easily. Not great intensity.

At least we are still level.
Thunder18
2:50p, 12/2/23
Newcastle playing us off the field so far everywhere except the scoreline. Maguire is the only guy who looks like he gives a ****
Dre_00
2:56p, 12/2/23
This season is weird for a number of reasons but the most striking is that players like McTominay and Maguire, two players who were unwanted and everyone assumed would be sold, are now guaranteed starters every match. And while you can point to injuries bringing that about, ETH has stuck with them even when other options were available. Hell, Maguire is clearly first on his list of center backs.

ETH isn't likely to make it to the end of the season. The fact that he now feels that both McTominay and Maguire are undroppable is a big indicator that it might be the right decision.*

* I'm still not in the fire ETH camp but it's getting harder and harder to actually care or defend him if it does happen.
Showstopper
3:15p, 12/2/23
Welp that's probably just about that for this game.
Showstopper
3:17p, 12/2/23
I remember thinking Newcastle was crazy for buying Gordon. He's sure proven me wrong, that's for sure.
Thunder18
3:19p, 12/2/23
Rashford with pathetic effort and body language today coming off a full week of rest. Terrible
Dre_00
3:23p, 12/2/23
I'm sorry to say but Rashford might need the Varane treatment. Though I think it's pretty stupid to play him on the right when he's been out of form for 4 months on the left. Like...he's never going to find his form starting a month's worth of games at right winger.
Showstopper
3:34p, 12/2/23
I'd have started Antony at RW because he was OK on Wednesday (and I'm still not an Antony fan) but no one has really played great at RW this year.
Dre_00
3:41p, 12/2/23
Agreed. I'm a big believer in playing players in their best/favored position unless you're forced not to. Antony is far from a world beater on the right but he's the only player who prefers to play in that position. Playing Rashford there on a consistent basis just screams of desperation to me. Like you're trying to win the lottery and hope he plays well again.

Besides, it's not like Garnacho is playing so well that you can't afford to not start him on the left. The way both are playing, it's ok to split starts between the two of them for a week or two.
Thunder18
3:49p, 12/2/23
Bad luck for Maguire there
Dre_00
4:02p, 12/2/23
Along those same lines, I don't understand why Dalot continues to get time at LB now that both Shaw and Reguilon are back. It's not like it ever really worked that well when he was forced into the role. And yet here we are still doing it. I understand that Reguilon can be a defensive liability and Shaw has value as a LCB but you can not convince me that a pairing of Shaw-Lindelof isn't sizably better than Dalot-Shaw.
Dre_00
4:07p, 12/2/23
Anyway, pretty sure the vibes around here about to go full Rangnick the last half of the season so...Happy Holidays everyone!
Mathguy64
4:17p, 12/2/23
IMHO that would be a massive mistake.

So I'm sure the Glazers are planning it already.
Showstopper
4:37p, 12/2/23
I don't like the caretaker manager thing, but I will concede that ten Hag is vulnerable, and effectively a new owner is about to come in. I think it is preferable to ride out the year because most of the good managers have jobs. But if we don't make top 4, I don't know if he survives.

What sucks for ten Hag is we made a lot of signings on his advice, and a lot of them haven't gone well so far. He's not director of football, but I think the signings may get him sacked as much as the results. We will see.
Dre_00
8:11a, 12/3/23
UEFA, thus far, ruling that both United and Nice can not qualify for the CL if/when Ratcliffe officially becomes minority owner at United is an interesting dynamic. I'm guessing that he doesn't become official until it's either clear that United aren't qualifying for next season's CL regardless, UEFA changes the rule, or he sells Nice (which isn't going to happen overnight).

Point is, this whole "imminent" minority purchase continues to drag on and I wouldn't be surprised if it continues for another couple of months...minimum. That might be the biggest factor in determining ETH's fate...how long until Ratcliffe officially comes on board.
Dre_00
12:57p, 12/6/23
Rashford not starting tonight. Garnacho, Hojlund, Antony or the front 3. Can't say that it's undeserved. If anything, it's overdue...and I say that as a Rashford stan.
Thunder18
2:25p, 12/6/23
Bruno with a bad PK. Just run up and hit it to a corner
Thunder18
2:43p, 12/6/23
Kavanagh is a **** ref. Sterling could be on 2 yellows for asking for a card and simulation
Showstopper
2:53p, 12/6/23
The passing has been so much better than it's been practically all year. Feel like Maguire and Lindeloff should stay back a little more since Mudryk is so fast.
Showstopper
3:04p, 12/6/23
Onana sure is hot and cold. Stopped an open break earlier, but gave up a middling speed strike from back end of the box from Palmer.
Thunder18
3:07p, 12/6/23
That ball was barely crawling. Terrible defending but no way should Onana not save that
Thunder18
3:09p, 12/6/23
Entertaining first half...we should've scored 2 or 3 and were frankly lucky Chelsea didn't do the same.
Thunder18
3:50p, 12/6/23
Poor Hojlund probably could've scored his first PL goal but McT puts it away...pending VAR check
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 27 of 55
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings