Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

82,212 Views | 1893 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Thunder18
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Showstopper said:

I don't think there is any concrete news on AWB, it's just that we keep hearing rumblings about getting another RB, we were going to sell him before he turned it around, but we just extended Dalot. So it's one of those process of elimination deals. He's played really well in the second half of the season; but we keep getting linked to right backs so idk.

I'll send ETH an email letting him know that I like AWB, and he should listen to me because I've won a lot of trophies in FIFA career mode. I think once he realizes that we are basically peers that that will really solidify the value of my opinion.
If you can cc me, I'd like to reply back with my Football manager record if you don't mind.
Dre_00
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Dre_00 said:

At forward, Kane, Hojlund, and Kolo Muani seem to be the most likely (or the player that were detailed the most). United unlikely to haggle over Kane. Hojlund wants to come and recently hired new agents who also represent ETH but his unproven. Kolo Muani is expensive but Murtagh is negotiating with Frankfurt.

Osimhen needs to be option 1 at striker in my opinion. I'd rate him higher than Kane. That said, unless the Sheikh is successful with his bid, I don't see United ponying up the cash. One can dream though.

Yeah, from a "money is no object" POV he is clearly option 1. But I believe Napoli has said firmly that there is no way they are selling for anything less than 120 million or something like that. Article was rating more on likelihood than on ability or fit.
Dre_00
Apparently Nasser El-Khelaifi (President of PSG) has been "advising" Sheikh Jassim's bid and there are people who believe he is actually the one driving the purchase. Fun times.

https://theathletic.com/4596573/2023/06/09/manchester-united-takeover-psg-nasser-al-khelaifi/
Furlock Bones
AG
Came here to post about this. Here I thought they completely separate. Lol.
Mathguy64
AG
Hell they probably talk about it at the family dinner table.
Dre_00
I like to imagine that they decided on this over a family game of real life Monopoly.

"Oooooooo I landed on Old Trafford! I'll buy it…"
Mathguy64
AG
Well Jassim's Friday deadline has come and gone. I wonder if he pulled out or bluffed?
Dre_00
I think I read that the deadline was effectively when he said he'd no longer negotiate...but the deal is still on the table. So it really wasn't much of a deadline.
Showstopper
AG
A sale update from Mike Keegan of the Daily Mail that an exclusive preferred bidder will be selected this week: We will see.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12183041/Man-United-bidders-Sheikh-Jassim-Jim-Ratcliffe-prepare-final-offers.html
Dre_00
The pending sale has thus far been this year's Frenkie de Jong.
Showstopper
AG
I really really really hope it turns out with at least something happening. In an ideal world they would sell and go buy something that fits in their price range a little better, like Leeds, if they really want to own an English club. Maybe Watford since Avram likes traveling to London so much.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

The pending sale has thus far been this year's Frenkie de Jong.

If we finally get rid of these leeches the wait will have been worth it.
Showstopper
AG
Disclaimer: this should all be taken with a HUGE grain of salt;

Apparently the Manu stock price is spiking up around 10% higher from today's close in after hours trading, and it appears to be in reaction to a tweet from a Qatar newspaper (not a story, just a tweet) saying that Sheik Jassim's bid has been accepted. So there you go. Cue the Ron Paul "it's happening" meme with a real possibility that it could be followed by Ron Paul "it's not happening" meme. Being semi-reported by the Mirror (so not a great source… but somewhere out there someone is buying the rumor since after hours trading has spiked):

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1780096/Man-Utd-takeover-news-Sheikh-Jassim-Sir-Jim-Ratcliffe?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
The original Qatari news source also happens to be the outlet owned by Sheikh Jassim's father
Showstopper
AG
Yeah I've seen that, but I don't know how much it means because I think their family owns like almost everything. And is his father calling up some editor for some paper he owns? I don't know. But would some staff personal assistant or someone like that leak it to a news reporter they know? Seems more likely.
Dre_00
MANU is now up nearly 20% pre-market. But that's probably as much a reflection of how easily the market can move from unreliable sources and rumors as much as anything else.

If they are going to announce any news related to ownership, you would think they'd announce it an hour or two before the US markets open but obviously that wouldn't necessarily have to be today.
Dre_00
Reports that Saudi Arabia might offer De Gea a boatload of money to convince him to follow Ronaldo and Benzema.
Showstopper
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up activating the club option year on de Gea. I know they want to decrease his pay, but I think they may just have to live with the salary for one more year. And I guess if Saudi want de Gea that much, they can buy a transfer.
Furlock Bones
AG
United reportedly out of the Kane sweepstakes saying the cost it out of reach.
Dre_00
I don't blame them really. Levy isn't selling to United for less than 9 figures and is notoriously stubborn. Maybe the situation changes later in the window. I could see a scenario where Madrid get Mbappe and the non-PL interest either isn't there or doesn't interest Kane. Come August, Levy might be less comfortable losing a valuable asset for free (I mean seriously...Kane isn't re-signing unless Spurs pull off a miracle next season and challenge for a title. Kane of course makes them better next season but he needs to sell him now to have a chance of Spurs being good in 2024-25).

But while it's plausible the situation changes it's unlikely. So better to move on and not make Kane this season's Frenkie de Jong. If the situation does change in August, they can come back then.
Aston94
AG
Chelsea reportedly have rejected a 40M Pound offer for Mount. Not sure how much more than that I would want to pay for him.
Thunder18
AG
Aston94 said:

Chelsea reportedly have rejected a 40M Pound offer for Mount. Not sure how much more than that I would want to pay for him.

If we are smart we won't offer much more than that. Certainly shouldn't get anywhere close to Chelsea's 80M valuation. Happy that we are not wasting our time chasing Kane when it's obvious Levy will drag it out to the bitter end
deadbq03
AG
Pretty sure y'all are about to be rich. Congrats.

Since I'm not a fan I can't jinx it.

For casuals not paying attention to the interwebs, the sheik just registered a new company in the UK today and a deal seems imminent.
Showstopper
AG
It does seem like this is trending towards Qatar, but supposedly the Glazers are making both sides complete final transfer documents. Which would be pretty on brand for the Glazers.

I have my reservations for both sets of buyers, but neither can be worse than the Glazers. I really do think they are the worst owners in the Premier League. Well, I don't know about a lot of them, but… could they really be all that much worse? Most owners put money into their clubs, even unpopular ones. Not the Glazers; they pull the most out by a wide margin.
Mathguy64
AG
Reuters claims it's over and it's Jassim

The Times claims it's over and it's SJR.

At this point I'm betting the Glazers screw around and this doesn't get settled until well into the Fall.
Showstopper
AG
According to Daily Mail article by Keegan, getting PL approval would take 8-12 weeks, so effectively our wonderful owners basically screwed up this window when they didn't decide at the end of March.
deadbq03
AG
Because they're public, it was always going to be a long closing process no matter who wins.

But yeah, dragging their feet is a nice final F U to the fans.
Dre_00
Sounds like De Gea may indeed be gone soon. He was officially left off of the club's retained list and the two sides are still quite far apart in regards to a new contract.

Pickford, Diogo Costa, and Onana are all being linked as replacements but none of them will come cheaply. Onana obviously has the link with ETH from Ajax so seems like the most likely in my mind. But paying 50-70 million for a goalie is surely going to put a massive dent in any budget for a forward (or two) and midfielder (or two).
jeffk
AG
OMG. Please sign Pickford and allow my hatred to push me into becoming a Sith lord.
Furlock Bones
AG
if we sign pickford, oof.
Dre_00
Pickford. Qatar.

United giving me no choice other than to just lean into the jackass fan role. I have no other viable option.
Dre_00
Agreed. We'll pay a premium for an English goalie and get a less talented goalie. So...wahoo.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

Pickford. Qatar.

United giving me no choice other than to just lean into the jackass fan role. I have no other viable option.

I've said it before, but I greatly respect the turn to full heel far more than I do the playing obtuse fan.
Furlock Bones
AG
do we have an academy? do we have a scouting department? cannot we not find our own Southampton to pillage like liverpool?
Mathguy64
AG
Pickford. Middle East sportswashing money. May as well take on Richarlison and do the full heel turn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.