* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,245 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are not boring, I'll give us that.
Unemployed
AG
Liverpool sucks.
jeffk
AG
It'd probably be wise to support Trent with someone who can run at some point.
jeffk
AG
Sounds crazy but I would have preferred to play City with Haaland. He's great but an easier matchup for this backline than the slicing runs we've had to deal with today.
ChipFTAC01
AG
On a positive note, I love Carra.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/liverpool-fc-legend-jamie-carraghers-26567826

My wife's cousin ( the "**** Jamie Carragher") goes to Carragher's in New York for the Succession wrap party. The non-**** Jamie Carragher picks up the bar tab for the cast.
jeffk
AG
TIL that not only is Klopp the longest tenured active EPL coach, but he's also the 4th longest tenured coach in league history.
FriedTex
AG
SAF, Wenger and who else? Don't say Brendan Rogers
YNWA.2013
These reports today implying Klopp's seat is warm are ludicrous. Klopp having to come out and say he doesn't "fear the axe" and that he knows he currently has a job based on "past performance." We have had such limited backing from the owners/board from a transfer perspective the last few windows, that I think it is ridiculous to expect anything more. When our rivals (Man City, Arsenal, Man United, Newcastle, Chelsea) repeatedly out-invest us, I'm not sure what everyone else was expecting. We are victims of our own success and the bar is inevitably higher based on what this team has achieved in recent times. But this team has needed a refresh since at least Summer 2021 (this was partially masked bc of our fantastic push for all 4 trophies last season).

That being said, there is no coach or manager I would rather have leading Liverpool Football Club than Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The man is an incredible human being and the perfect embodiment of this club. What he has achieved with the limited dipping into the transfer market has been incredible. We have been hit with the injury bug this season and our lack of depth shows. Injuries to Diaz and Jota forced us to bring forward our recruitment of Gakpo. But TAA has no real competition for his place, VvD is assured of a spot in the 1st XI every week, Robbo knows his spot is safe, Fabinho will start every game now that Bajcetic is out for the season. And lord help us if Salah is ever out for an extended period of time.

I want Liverpool to win every game and push for the CL spots but part of me would be okay with not making the top 4 as that might show FSG how much of a rebuild is needed. I know we likely need the CL money to invest in the summer. But I am afraid that if we do finish Top 4, the owners will get complacent and think this team is still okay to push on. (I'm not advocating for the Boehly/Chelsea approach of throwing unworldly amounts of money at the problem, but it would be nice to not get outbid and win a head-to-head transfer.) I still dream of Jude becoming a Red but who knows.
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
This is just EPL, right? So it's David Moyes at Everton then?
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
His presser on this was actually a really good listen. Basically he knows they're underperforming but he's still committed to trying to turn things around and his bosses are committed to him and also buying talent to help him do that.
YNWA.2013
I hope their actions back up their words
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
Also, how do we keep letting players go for free? Emre Can, Gini, Origi, and now Keita, Ox, and Firmino. Bad business decisions. Need to be able to recognize when it' time. Ox and Keita should've been sold last summer and used whatever to buy a midfielder. Doesn't even have to be the world's best and elite midfielder, just one that was hungry.
-FTA c/o 2013
Unemployed
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Also, how do we keep letting players go for free? Emre Can, Gini, Origi, and now Keita, Ox, and Firmino. Bad business decisions. Need to be able to recognize when it' time. Ox and Keita should've been sold last summer and used whatever to buy a midfielder. Doesn't even have to be the world's best and elite midfielder, just one that was hungry.
Were there any teams in for Ox and Keita? I can't see a team paying the transfer fee for two injury-prone players.
joemeister
AG
Transfer fees on marginal players are not worth the extra salary you have to pay them to keep them under contract. The cost/benefit analysis starts with the wage per year for these players. If the team is able to keep wages lower for an entire 5 yr contract period and then get no outgoing fee, it's probably worth it. Most teams won't pay for a player entering their last year unless there is tremendous competition because the guy is young and has good years left. The alternative is to be like Man U where you find yourself constantly re-signing the marginal players in hopes you can get a fee the next summer, but nobody is willing to pay what you want, and you are paying higher wages simply because you are Man U.

I don't have a problem with the outgoing transfer policy. I think the problem is that the talent evaluation and incoming policy has had more misses than hits at important positions the last three summers. I understand the priority on goal scorers to replace Sadio, Bobby and Mo. It seems like we have a really good set of attacking talent now and for the next couple of seasons. If the midfield gets right over the summer, this team will be challenging again.
YNWA.2013
Not too sure. But there are several teams in for Ox this summer. Giving a cut-price deal for a player that almost never features would have been better than letting him go for free. And since our financial power in the transfer market is limited, an extra 5-10 GBP would have been nice
-FTA c/o 2013
wangus12
AG
Hey what's the big idea of resting everyone for this weekend!
Unemployed
AG
Uninspiring match between these two teams.
jeffk
AG
wangus12 said:

Hey what's the big idea of resting everyone for this weekend!

Resting. Right! Yes, that's what we're doing!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Man, I can't believe I watched this instead of Ted Lasso.
jeffk
AG
Watching this might drive me right over the edge.

YNWA.2013
That looks awful. Like a more terrible version of a video game, somehow? Just give me the crispest, cleanest image possible. Idk about anyone else, but I kind of rather enjoyed the "in stadium noise" that a few games had during Covid. Make it feel like you're at the stadium. Also, the UI of peacock continues to be dreadful
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
Klopp says VVD is good to go for tomorrow and we might have Thiago available too.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Saw something yesterday that MO is hurt? Or not training?
jeffk
AG
"Not present at training in the club pictures were Mohamed Salah, Joe Gomez, and Diogo Jota although no injury news is expected at this time."

via https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/2023/4/7/23673802/thiago-returns-to-training-ahead-of-arsenal-clash-chelsea-premier-league-mohamed-salah
jeffk
ChipFTAC01
OregonAggie
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone's peacock feed being all skippy/l****?
AG@RICE
AG
Playing TAA as makeshift midfielder is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Just simulate the rest of the season and be done with it.
Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field
AG
Lolz
Out in Left Field
AG@RICE
AG
Please don't leave me Bobby...
jeffk
AG
That was nuts.

AR throwing bows. Mo missing another big PK. Huge saves from Ali. Bobby with a late goal. Sucks to not take three points, but at least we scrapped back into it.

YNWA.2013
I disagree, I thought it was great! He has more influence on the game from the No. 6 and that position minimizes his defensive weaknesses.

The 3-2-4-1 formation is the future and I think it'll be Klopp's next step if he is to adapt again. Teams have figured out our 4-3-3 and how to expose our fullbacks and the space they leave behind. I think new tactic gives our team a new dimension and a fresh way to press high up the pitch like past Klopp's teams typically like to do. VvD need to figure out his positional sense (it has been flawless in the past but pretty questionable this season). Konate, on the other hand, I think has been utterly brilliant. Crunching tackles, winning possession, driving the ball up. I thought he was gonna score there at the end!
-FTA c/o 2013

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.