* Liverpool 2022-2023 Thread *

64,305 Views | 1285 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by RossG_2
YNWA.2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just cannot defend these damn throw ins.
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
Threeeeeeee pointssssss
jeffk
AG
Seven league games left and we're nine points out of fourth but somehow only three out of fifth.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Seven league games left and we're nine points out of fourth but somehow only three out of fifth.

I'm focused on 5th because 9 points is a lot of ground to cover. Europa League would be a welcome sight with how disappointing this year has been and I think we'd still be able to sign some top class guys. With no European football, I think it becomes much more difficult to sign the kind of players we want.
jeffk
AG
I'm focused on posting angry faces here on gameday.
eiggA2002
AG
I'll take Europa League and some extra cash, but playing Thursday nights in Latvia and then on Sat or Sun is tough. Hopefully we'll have enough depth to rotate HEAVILY until the knockout rounds.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I wrote a big post earlier but lost it. Cliffs Notes version

Looking at our first team roster, it looks like we might have almost 1/3 (9/28) of our first team headed out this summer.

- Kelleher
- Adrian
- Matip or Joe Gomez (would much rather keep Joe)
- Nat Phillips
- Milner
- Ox
- Naby
- Bobby
- Cavallo

Some of that is spare parts but that's more than just, "Go out and get 2-3 MF and a backup CB".

I'm terrified were not going to do enough in the summer.
YNWA.2013
I have a long lunch today, so here is a short novel:

- Kelleher will leave on loan (hopefully to an EPL team, like a likely-soon-to-be-promoted Sheffield United).
- Adrian is our 3rd choice GK. I bet they offer him a one year deal to challenge for the backup role at a reduced salary (vs I'm assuming Pitaluga unless we have a promising young GK I am unaware of?)
- Joe Gomez signed a new contract last summer, he isn't going anywhere.
- I love Joel Matip. His contract is up next summer (he'll be 32 next season). I think they'll just let him walk after next season (like they frustratingly do instead of cashing in). Either sign him up for through 2025 or cash in now.
- Nat Phillips deserves his crack at 1st team football. He has earned it and I don't think Liverpool will stand in his way.
- I bet Milner signs his annual 1 year contract with Liverpool. He's like 40-something appearances away from setting the PL appearance record and I think he wants that record.
- Ox and Naby are always hurt and even when they are fit, don't make the matchday squad. Sad because we invest quite heavily on the both of them and have gotten very little return on that investment and now they'll walk away for free.
- Bobby is out for one last big payday. One of my favourite players from this generation and I'll miss his unusually white smile and the flair he brought this club. Gakpo has been sliding in quite well in that false 9 role as of late though.
- Carvalho should leave on loan. I'm thinking a season away with some regular football can jumpstart his career like it's done for Harvey Elliott. Big fan of Elliot's hustle and work ethic.

The way I see it:
- GK: We're obviously in safe hands with Alisson. Loan out Kelleher. Re-sign Adrian and have him and Pitaluga battle for the No.2. Worst case scenario of a long-term Alisson injury, recall Kelleher.
- CB: VvD, Konate, Matip, Joe Gomez, and Rhys Williams. One serious injury away from being in trouble. Sign a young CB to mold into VvD's long-term replacement (if Gomez continues to not take advantage of the opportunities which I keep hoping he will bc I like him a lot. Plus, he's still only 25). Maybe Sepp Van den Berg is ready to make that leap? Or Billy Koumetio?
- RB: We've been Trent or bust for a while now. I'd get a RB to compete here, especially if TAA continues to flourish in the new role. Ramsey is coming off a serious injury and I have no idea if he was even cut out beforehand so I'd buy an insurance policy.
- LB: Robertson has shown some of his vulnerabilities against the bigger teams as of late but I still rate him very highly. Don't think there are many other LBs we would want instead of Robbo. Tsimikas is a great backup and I think relishes the role. Doesn't set the world on fire but does well when called upon. Use the money somewhere else
- CM: Everyone has an opinion here. Fabinho, Thiago, Milner, Henderson, Jones, Elliott, Bajcetic. Fabinho has taken a couple steps back this season. Thiago, Milner, and Henderson are getting up there in age and their legs won't carry them through 50+ games a season anymore. Investment needs to be made in younger guys. If Bellingham is out of the question (which I still naively hope we somehow land him), the Mason Mounts, Ward-Prowses of the world need to be looked at. A certain number of our players need to be English to satisfy the PL quota and England has some good, young ones that might pique our interest. Jones has been really impressive these last few games. I hope he continues to get a run of games. Finding Bajcetic has been the best part of this season. Tyler Morton will return from loan, could he be ready for some more first team opportunities too?
- FW: Next season, we'll have Salah, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz, Nunez. Another young winger or striker that won't have the pressure to deliver immediately would be good here.

If I'm FSG, my money is prioritizing
1. Two energetic CMs,
2. A young CB,
3. A reputable RB, and
4. A young attacking player.

In that order. But like you said, it's been a while since we've heavily invested in a single window so I am not holding my breath. They have splashed the cash before (Rumoured 85m for Darwin, 75m for VvD, 55m for Alisson, 55m for Naby, 50m for Diaz, 50m for Gakpo, 40m for Fabinho, 40m for Jota) so let's hope they don't play it too conservatively. I expect the majority of our business to be done early and concluded by mid July.
-FTA c/o 2013
OregonAggie
jeffk
jeffk
AG
Excited for this game, but I'll probably be paying closer attention to the City-Arsenal match this afternoon.
gougler08
AG
jeffk said:

Excited for this game, but I'll probably be paying closer attention to the City-Arsenal match this afternoon.
Arsenal will most likely disappoint you if you're hoping for a non-City league title
jeffk
AG
This describes my overall fandom experience across all sports ever, so...
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

This describes my overall fandom experience across all sports ever, so...

If I could figure out how to post gifs to Texags this would be an excellent place for the George Michael walking in front of Snoopy's doghouse gif.
YNWA.2013
Is the general consensus that Arsenal winning the title is preferable to City?

I'm personally torn. On one hand, screw City and their billion pound squad. But on the other hand, screw Arsenal too. They've had one good season in almost 20 years and they win the title? While we've been incredible in 3 of the last 5 seasons and only have one PL title to show for it? Yes I am bitter haha

As long as City don't win the Treble, I'm good. I'd like City to win the FA Cup (bc, you know, f*** Man United), but I hope they fall miserably short again of the Champions League. I hope that trophy continues to elude them.
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
I want someone other than City to win. I like for fans of multiple clubs to experience joy.

And it's actually quite common (minus City) for teams coming off a disappointing run to win the league... not having a ton of tournament games absolutely helps when you're squad depth isn't great.
jeffk
AG
Konate is out today. Big Joel starting instead.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Konate is out today. Big Joel starting instead.

AG@RICE
AG
I'm a little worried about the TAA floating midfielder game plan when we don't have Konate's range and physicality to cover the right flank.
OregonAggie
AG
Holy crap that was a rocket of a shot

0-1 WH
Tx_Aggie15
AG
Back to work I go
jeffk
AG
AG@RICE said:

I'm a little worried about the TAA floating midfielder game plan when we don't have Konate's range and physicality to cover the right flank.

Exactly the roadmap WH took to get their goal.
OregonAggie
AG
Gakpo gets us one

1-1
jeffk
AG
Fabinho just hit a free shot from outside the 18 that landed ten rows deep and about thirty seats wide of the goal.
jeffk
AG
Big Joel
OregonAggie
AG
Hell yeah

Damn I love that guy!
OregonAggie
AG
Dammit there's about to be a PK against Thiago
OregonAggie
AG
Maybe not. I'd be pissed if I was a West Ham fan…
AG@RICE
AG
Lucky to get those 3 points
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie said:

Maybe not. I'd be pissed if I was a West Ham fan…

Yeah, that was a fortunate no-call. I had the game on mute, but I'm assuming they let play continue because the ball took a deflection off another body part before it contacted his arm?
AG@RICE
AG
I think they ruled he slipped and the arm contact was incidental. The ball also ricocheted from close range.
That said, if the ref calls that a penalty in live action there is 0% chance that gets over turned.
Unemployed
AG
His arm was in a natural position to brace his body to the ground. Can't expect him to slide tackle with his arms by his side. It was a good no-call.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Really happy with those 3 pts.
YNWA.2013
Current EPL Table
....TEAM...........MP.....GD....PTS
3. Newcastle.....31.....+29.....59
4. Man Utd........29.....+9.......59
5. Aston Villa.....33.....+5.......54
6. Liverpool.......32.....+22.....53
7. Tottenham.....32.....+7.......53
8. Brighton........30.....+15.....49

The push for a Top 4 spot continues, however unlikely it may seem. I think we are realistically too far behind to catch any of them, but, for argument's sake, if there is one to catch, I think it is Newcastle. We have to win every single remaining game otherwise this point is moot. If we do, that would put us at 71 pts. (For context, 71 pts would have been good enough for 4th in 21/22, 3rd in 20/21, 3rd in 19/20, 4th in 18/19, and 5th in 17/18).

Newcastle's current max point total is 80 which means we need them to drop at least 9 points (and hope we can make up the goal difference disparity). They play quite a few relegation-threatened teams to close out the season (@ Everton, Southampton, @ Leeds, Leicester) but play a few strong teams too (Arsenal, Brighton) as well as @ Chelsea to close out the season. They could drop points to those last three teams but I am not holding my breath for Chelsea to all of a sudden discover goals and form. But you never know with those teams who have their back against the wall and fighting for PL survival.

Man United's max point total is 86. Although they have a harder run-in than Newcastle on paper, I just don't see them dropping 15 points between @ Tottenham, Aston Villa, @ Brighton, @ West Ham, Wolves, @ Bournemouth, Chelsea, and Fulham.

Our remaining schedule:
Tottenham
Fulham
Brentford
@ Leicester
Aston Villa
@ Southampton

It'll be tough to pull this one off. Even more so than that awful injury plagued season in 20/21 where we somehow pulled off 3rd thanks to an Alisson goal. Just control what you can control and win what is front of you. Then we'll see where we stand at the end of the season. Europa League isn't the Champions League but some European football is better than none. I would just hate to play on Thursdays and then have an early Saturday or Sunday kickoff (bc you know they'll do that just to stick it to Klopp and his moaning about the schedule).
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
AG
I'm worried about Brighton overtaking us too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.